Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Convicted of a hate crime for not swallowing is p lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

I have never been invited to the suck off. Sounds fun

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

i dunno about a mosin nagant bayonet killing me but it doesn't seem too far fetched

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Harakiri Potter posted:

i dunno about a mosin nagant bayonet killing me but it doesn't seem too far fetched

There's worse ways to go. Mossberg shotgun for one.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Heres the wikipedia goon suicide if I remember right:

FYAD had a wikipedia vandalism contest where all the edits were supposed to be sent via PM so no-one could see what pages were edited. The contest went on for ages, it could have been like a whole year. I think at some point they became aware that the wikipedia goon was furiously lurking FYAD to try and find what pages had been edited but it was only ever talked about like "My edit is still up wow its been 6 months". I dont think there was ever a winner so for all anyone knows FYAD didnt even edit wikipedia, they just made some dude insane thinking that they were.

Anyway eventually he killed himself and they vandalised his wikipedia memorial page by saying he died by a shotgun to the anus.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
A very long time ago maybe pre 2005 a goon in GBS maybe was posting as if they were about to kill themselves. FYAD internet detectived them and called a police car to their home and they stopped the suicide attempt, saving his life. The ultimate concern troll.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
So FYAD aren't sociopathic killers after all? Interesting...

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
I remember that one guy who killed himself because he got a lifetime pass to a buffet but then got banned from the buffet.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Psycho Society posted:

So FYAD aren't sociopathic killers after all? Interesting...

Ive lurked it from before I joined the forums pretty consistently till now. Id say generally they're the most normal and well adjusted people on this website.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

I remember that one guy who killed himself because he got a lifetime pass to a buffet but then got banned from the buffet.

This rings a bell but I dont know if i saw it on a tv show or here. Do you have more deetys

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Isaac posted:

I dont think there was ever a winner so for all anyone knows FYAD didnt even edit wikipedia, they just made some dude insane thinking that they were.

this was definitely one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Articles_for_deletion/Weedpunk

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Oh man I forgot all about this thankyou

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

is she saying she wants coney island, or some zyklon b?

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Harakiri Potter posted:

reply to her 'i m g a y' and see if she loses interest

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Isaac posted:

FYAD had a wikipedia vandalism contest where all the edits were supposed to be sent via PM so no-one could see what pages were edited. The contest went on for ages, it could have been like a whole year. I think at some point they became aware that the wikipedia goon was furiously lurking FYAD to try and find what pages had been edited but it was only ever talked about like "My edit is still up wow its been 6 months". I dont think there was ever a winner so for all anyone knows FYAD didnt even edit wikipedia, they just made some dude insane thinking that they were.

Anyway eventually he killed himself and they vandalised his wikipedia memorial page by saying he died by a shotgun to the anus.

He would have wanted it that way

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Lord posted:

is she saying she wants coney island, or some zyklon b?

Yes.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Three Olives posted:

I hope not because there is this guy that I know that I can't stand in part because he keeps talking about self-harm and suicide and it's just like do it already or stop coming to us with it for attention.

And no I'm that that cruel, we tried to get him help then he talks about wondering if his fan will support his body weight and poo poo like that and it's like whatever, you clearly don't want help, we've known you for over a year and you haven't done anything, you are an adult, whatever, do it, don't do it, just stop talking to us about it if you won't get help.

This. poo poo or get off the pot, stop holding us emotionally hostage :mad:

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I dont think suicide girl deserves jail time but she does deserve a litany of asswhoopings and those needs could best be met in jail

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

whoflungpoop posted:

I dont think suicide girl deserves jail time but she does deserve a litany of asswhoopings and those needs could best be met in jail

Could send her to a Phillys game wearing a Mets jersey.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:

Harakiri Potter posted:

Procration

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Isaac posted:

I also remember there was a chatlog of him desperately trying to convince a wikipedia admin that there was a fyad conspiracy, it was pretty amazing, reminded me of the crucible

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Post it

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's like a billion words but

Banime admitted here that he is attempting to game Wikipedia by producing a few meaningful edits between pieces of subtle vandalism like Podtats, which he created (and admits to here and here). That article is designed to do nothing else except demean and disparage Jarin Udom. User should be blocked as admitted, persistent vandal. TGH1970 (talk) 05:33, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* ? Protonk (talk) 05:36, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

The article is not vandalism per se, and the editor is constantly on IRC talking contstructively, calmly, and correctly too, just to let you know. — neuro(talk) 05:38, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* Read the original versions and portions of the existing text (like the "units sold" portion of the infobox, for instance) and it becomes clear that this page had only one purpose. If you go and actually read that thread you can see this user comping to all that and more. TGH1970 (talk) 05:40, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* See also Slowrun, which is (was) an obvious hoax. TGH1970 (talk) 05:43, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

Unless Banime confirms that the user is indeed him, then we can't do anything unless you have some proof. — neuro(talk) 05:44, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

Actually... hm. — neuro(talk) 05:46, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* See also Weedpunk, this post and this edit to the very same article he posted about. TGH1970 (talk) 05:49, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* And this post and this edit. These are the same user. TGH1970 (talk) 05:52, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* This user may be User:Dans1120, who was indefblocked for vandalism a little over a year ago, the same time that this account registered. TGH1970 (talk) 05:55, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* Maybe. They share no articlespace edits (or any other that I can see). That's relatively rare for socks or accounts run by the same person, though neither impossible nor unheard of. That account did work on Zybourne Clock (look at old deleted diffs, if you can), which was added to the SA post and the wikipedia article in the above links. Protonk (talk) 06:44, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

(unindent) I agree that the SA account is linked. I will talk to Banime on IRC if nobody catches him first. — neuro(talk) 05:56, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* There's not a whole lot to discuss. He's admitted he's a vandal, that he intends to vandalize further and he's deliberately attempting to game the system so he doesn't get caught. It's pretty open and shut at this point. TGH1970 (talk) 05:59, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

(unindent) To an admin seeing this, should rollback be removed from this account. I was the admin to grant Banime's request for it, and based on what I've read above I would remove it, but I've just logged in briefly to check my watchlist before I go to bed (in a minute). Thanks -MBK004 06:10, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* I'm perplexed by this to say the least. I can't find a justification why he would make the Podtats article or why he would defend it...but I can't accept the premise that he makes "various insignificant content edits" and then subtly vandalizes. That characterization doesn't appropriately describe his edits who has 500 edits to Frederick III, German Emperor and is shepherding it through FAC. Also, I'll be in the cold, cold grave before I take something from SA at face value in determining whether to brand an editor as a vandal. I suggest we move pretty slowly through this. Protonk (talk) 06:27, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* Meh, looks more likely.... Protonk (talk) 06:38, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* I'm convinced. Either someone saw his edits and logged into that account on SA within minutes to post in those threads each time or annefrankfanatic==banime. Protonk (talk) 06:58, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* Podtats deleted as a G10. Protonk (talk) 06:48, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* Ok. I'm going to bed. In my opinion this isn't an open and shut case. It looks possible (though very unlikely in my mind) that User:Banime==User:Dans1120. If that is the case (probably can't be confirmed/denied technically) then it is open and shut. However it is likely that Banime is just Banime. He's a wikipedian, or has become one (in the sense that he seems to have adopted the norms and habits of a long term user) but he is probably also "anne frank fanfic" on Something Awful. This means that he's had a laugh at the expense of wikipedia a few times. That's disruptive, though not something I'd ratchet up to a block immediately. Also, (and of more concern), it looks like he created Podtats with the express intent to attack someone (or at least ridicule). In both the "weedpunk" and "podtats" cases he knew our sourcing policies and feigned ignorance in order to keep the articles going. Having said this, I really do believe that he likes it here and contributes positively in a manner that far outweighs (assuming we are just making net benefit comparisons) his relatively minor hoaxes. The right answer is to send a message that we won't put up with this under any circumstances and we are unwilling to just watch him closely to ensure he doesn't do this again (create an elaborate or carefully constructed hoax). How we want to send that message (or ensure it is received clearly) is a matter for discussion. I'm not going to block him before I go, but I don't object to a block from another admin (of course). I'm also not going to remove rollback (I don't see the point). Protonk (talk) 07:33, 3 December 2008 (UTC)
* So Weedpunk is a confirmed hoax which Banime created, then defended at AFD? If so, this is a major problem; deliberately inserting nihilartikels is a pretty serious problem, in my view. I'd consider this a basis for a ban, at least unless Banime identifies and removes all remaining problem articles. We should not tolerate people who intentionally attempt to damage the integrity of the encyclopedia, especially with deliberately falsified information. east718 // talk // email // 08:53, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* Having just gone through the AFD discussion, I want to point out that in that discussion Banime coordinated with a number of his online buddies to have them try and alter the outcome of that discussion with a bunch of anonymous and newly registered accounts. For this user to attempt to save a hoax article with votestacking through meat (and possibly sock) puppetry is grounds for any person to be blocked indefinitely. I agree that some of his contributions are meaningful, but we also have no way of knowing whether all those edits were truly constructive since his credibility has now dropped to nothing. TGH1970 (talk) 10:16, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* I don't want to be rude but the time for advocacy is over. You've made your case (and evidently don't want to give us any perspective on why you would make it). the evidence you presented is compelling. We don't need more rhetoric about how to resolve this. Protonk (talk) 20:41, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

I'm commenting here right now to show you I've read this discussion after neurolysis posted it on my talk page, and I'll be back with a reply to address these points. However, until then, if someone wishes to ban me then I'd ask to hold off until after my current FAC closes, whether successfully or unsuccessfully, as I'd like to be able to respond to the opposes to continue improving the article. I'll be back later with a response. --Banime (talk) 12:42, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

Woah, guys, tell me if this has been mentioned before, but something is up. Something is very fishy about the person starting this thread. — neuro(talk) 20:18, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* (refactored) TGH1970 (talk) 22:23, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* I didn't mention it before but I was thinking about it. It is rather fishy to have this account drop by out of the blue to say this about Banime. that doesn't make the underlying accusation untrue. Protonk (talk) 20:38, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* Alright, the relation here is that I was reading the forums and came across the Podtats thread, where I discovered that anne frank fanfic had created it. Through that I discovered he had created a range of hoaxes and then filed this report. There is no connection to any earlier dispute, just that I came across it on the forums. TGH1970 (talk) 20:41, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

I am pondering whether or not to erase the four posts immediately above, and then mine. Banime has asked for time and promised to be back later with a response. It is just basic common decency to grant him that time and in the meantime leave this thread alone.--Goodmorningworld (talk) 20:43, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

Maybe not erase them, but at least hold off on further replies and speculation. — neuro(talk) 20:48, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

Stating that they can be redacted because "they amount to a bad faith campaign by Banime to discredit [you]" is utterly ridiculous, since Banime has not posted anything in this thread that is campaigning against you, they merely acknowledged reading through the thread. If you wish to accuse me of something, please say it, don't beat around the bush. — neuro(talk) 20:57, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* WP:AGF there is absolutely no reason for you to throw around accusations of conspiracy. We looked at your evidence, despite the obvious fact that this was not your first account and that you might have something to gain by presenting information selectively. If you continue to rail and fulminate about this to otherwise patient and helpful users or make vague threats like "you will have a lot of explaining to do" you will probably be excused from this discussion. Protonk (talk) 21:22, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

(outdent) (e/c) For someone that shouts around conspiracy theories of bad faith, you sure do forget to assume good faith. You are really starting to annoy me right now, especially in calling me a meatpuppet (it was blatantly directed at me, don't try to deny it). I am probably not going to respond again until you back off from acting like I am some sort of cross-country sock of Banime. I do not condone what Banime has done, in fact if the allegations are true in whole then I condemn it, but that does not give you the right to address me like you are my mother. Banime has multiple times said that he will not judge me if I disengage and back away from the situation completely, but that does not appeal to me because what I am 'regurgitating' right now is my own opinion, and my own feelings towards the situation, not Banime's - whether our feelings in certain areas are similar or not is irrelevant. I am taken aback by you saying that I "should be careful about the company [I] keep", that is utterly uncalled for and grossly offensive. The editors I choose to converse with are of my choosing and not yours, and don't you forget that. As for having 'some explaining to do', I don't even know what to say it is so ridiculous, and I take it as a threat. This is the last comment you will hear from me on this subject, any subsequent messages will be directly related to the topic at hand, unless I am called upon to do otherwise. Now please desist, and get back on the topic - of which you are a subject too, despite the fact that you are so insistent that you are not. The person submitting the report is liable to scrutiny, especially in such suspicious circumstances as yours, so don't try and divert the fact that it looks extremely odd that a contributor who is making their first edits suddenly comes to AN/I and requests a block - it simply does not happen. Now lets get back on topic, and back to constructive discussion, shall we? Thank you. — neuro(talk) 21:28, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

Okay I'm back with a response, thanks for your patience. As I looked at who accused me I saw he was pretty new and his contributions were 50% about me, so I thought something was kind of weird, which is why I filed that checkuser. It was declined, however I felt I had good reason to at the time because of the circumstances. Enough about the person whos made these claims, because, even if they were in bad faith (which I am not assuming), the severity of his claims have caused even good faith contributors to examine the evidence. I will assume it is good faith of course and respond accordingly. I'll number my points if anyone would like to respond to them by number (or I can bulletize them if its annoying).

1. First thing that shouldn't need to be said, is off wiki is always off wiki. I'm sure there are a number of editors and possibly administrators that belong to wikipedia criticism sites (which as far as I can tell is one of the purposes of the SomethingAwful site he showed), yet that shouldn't even come into the equation when judging a person's contributions to the site. I never try to judge anyone based on off wiki contributions. That being said, since it has been brought up against me, I am not annefrankfanatic.
2. One of the first and easiest claims to refute against me is that I am User:Dans1120. I am not, please checkuser me if you'd like. I have never had another account.
3. Another easy one to refute, he brings up that I sockpuppeted one of my first AfDs, which I did not. Please checkuser me if you'd like. I have never used another account.
4. Weedpunk was my first article creation, 9 months ago, and in retrospect was wrong according to WP:N. It was one of my earlier edits. I still believe weedpunk is real, and I have heard the term in discussions before (and I thought written), but since I have not found a reliable source mentioning it so far in my search it was wrong to put it up at the time. It was a definite question of WP:N. The article was never a "confirmed hoax", as TGH1970 is bringing up often, please read the AfD, the closing admin simply said there were no reliable sources. However, I suppose you are free to believe that the website TGH1970 is providing is the definite resource on what is fake in the world of relatively minor literary genres. Perhaps the name is odd or seldom used but much literature fits under its definition, I just haven't found reliable sources for it and therefore it was wrong of me to put it up.
5. Slowrun, which I made about 6 months ago as well, as TGH1970 claims is another "obvious hoax". Of course, please read the AfD, and see that it was never an obvious hoax and many video gamers wanted to merge or keep it. However, consensus eventually developed that there were no reliable sources for it. Obviously speedruns, longplays and I thought slowruns were all pretty well known terms but just because the gaming community uses them doesn't mean they belong in wikipedia unless there are reliable sources describing them in significant coverage. Another Wp:N mistake of mine. After this, I started editting more heavily, learned the rules, and decided to be very cautious when making articles like these so that I wouldn't make the same mistakes.
6. And I didn't until now with Podtats apparently. This was a few months ago, and I still believe the article has merits. Perhaps I got the name wrong, and iPod tattoos would be better, but if you read the article it was all real. Udom first started the idea with podtats.com so I used the term podtats. That was wrong in retrospect as again it didn't have the proper reliable sources. Besides that the article was pretty well sourced and described a lot more than Udom including current ipod tattoos, companies that do it, and techniques.
7. The website links he brought up. Apparently there is some sort of vandalism contest going on there, and I perhaps have been targetted somehow for an elaborate troll. I don't claim to know the motivations of anyone, but if someone had wished to get an innocent user banned, I suppose it may be easy to follow them around and post the edits they do and say you did it on an outside website. TGH1970 said (in reply that he deleted later from this very ANI here) that he was just "reading the forums" of that website and "came across it", but the pages he linked to were not on the first page, second page, third page, or even 108th page. They were on the 109th page of that website, which would mean he must have known where to look beforehand. I always assume good faith but when you lay such serious claims down on me such as these I'm sorry if I can't help but think that there may be a possibility of ulterior motives. If you are not annefrankfanatic or some other troll, I apologize. However, it looks increasingly possible, and at the very least, very odd.

Well if you wanted to scour over my mistakes with regards to WP:N with some of my earliest edits, you've succeeded I suppose. Next time, TGH1970, just ask me to put up an editor review though, it may be easier. --Banime (talk) 23:29, 3 December 2008 (UTC)

* Can you explain the timing between the posts on SA and the inclusion of the content on WP? In other words, we are concerned that you made those entries deliberately to disrupt wikipedia based on the short time between your edits here and the post "announcing" them on that noticeboard--less than a minute in one case. That would seem to contradict your claim that you made those errors out of ignorance. Are you asserting (to be clear) that the synchronicity of those posts is part of an elaborate trolling or vandalism scheme to make it seem as though your edits would be illegitimate? Protonk (talk) 00:00, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

I don't like anything but assuming good faith and leaving off-wiki things out of wiki discussions, as I have said. However since these claims have been brought up I'll be as clear as I can be. I believe due to TGH1970's sketchy account creation and edit circumstances, bad tempered replies, false reasons for coming up with this report ("was just browsing") and knowing exactly where to find those links to the 109th page of that website, that I believe it is very possible for him to have done so. I am not annefrankfanatic. He may in fact be, or another troll, based on this evidence alone. --Banime (talk) 00:11, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

I'm sorry, I'm not clear. I don't care about the content of what was written off wiki. I care that what was written off wiki, if it was written by you, would show that you knowlingly created and defended hoax articles or edits (Here I mean weekpunk not slowrun, which was just nn, not a hoax) or poorly sourced "attack" articles (podtats). And I want you to say, without ambiguity, that the posts made there, literally minutes after you made edits on wikipedia about the same subject and all by the same name were not made by you but were instead made by some other user in an attempt to harass you. An attempt, I might add, that did not bear fruit until months later and solely by suggesting a possible link between the two. What TGH1970 is or is not is unrelated. If he is a troll or a sock he will be blocked indefinitely. What is important is that we can trust you. Protonk (talk) 00:22, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

I did not make those posts. If you're concerned by the "months long" part, the third rule for the aforementioned vandalism contest state "3) i will keep track of your edits for at least 1 (one) month or more" which seems time isn't too much of an issue. --Banime (talk) 00:34, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

Ok. Despite some rather deep reservations I trust you. I would be saddened to learn that you were lying. Protonk (talk) 00:40, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

Are you kidding me? You're going to blame for all of this? Have you looked at Banime's edit history? He is obviously the one who has created these articles, he's obviously the one who has repeatedly made edits seconds after posting about on the forums and he has obviously created Podtats as a mean to smear Jarin Udom. You're actually going to turn around and say that this is some kind of massive conspiracy against him? The evidence here is overwhelming, and most of it comes from Banime's own edit history and I cannot believe you're going to turn around and blame me for filing this report. TGH1970 (talk) 00:43, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

I'm going to say that I trust him. He's told me (despite the fact that he knows I know the facts of the matter) that he didn't do it. If he is lying to me, so be it. I chose to believe that he is not. Another admin may feel differently, but getting upset about it won't change anything. Protonk (talk) 00:49, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

Well, that's a pretty lousy administrative decision then. Of course I will wait for an unbiased third party to actually review the evidence here, because simply taking his word for it has to be the most shortsighted explanation for dismissing piles of evidence that I've ever heard of. TGH1970 (talk) 01:00, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

You are welcome to that opinion, of course. I'm not stupid, by the way. Nor am I biased. Nor is my claim that I trust banime the end of the discussion here (as Category:Administrators is well populated). Protonk (talk) 01:03, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* Alright, well now I have an IP that can be checked: this post and this edit. I think a checkuser would be justified in this instance. TGH1970 (talk) 00:17, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

Please do so if it will put this to rest. --Banime (talk) 00:23, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

Banime does not have a vanity host set up, and has given me explicit permission to post his IRC mask. His IRC mask (ie the one he is currently using) is PC-1110.STUDFB.UniBw-Muenchen.de, which is in Germany. The WHOIS of the IP mentioned is available here (I did have the WHOIS up, but I think it may be copyrighted). In short, there is no checkuser needed to know that they are in different continents - the IP is in Australia. — neuro(talk) 00:37, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* I don't believe either one of you. If that's not Banime it's his proxy. TGH1970 (talk) 00:44, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

[edit] Section break 1

* this post and this edit. This post and the creation date of Slowrun (which I can't see because I'm not an admin, but which I'm certain is almost the exact same time). TGH1970 (talk) 00:52, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

What needs to be found is whether any posts on SA were made before the editing on Wikipedia occurred. Obviously no links will occur because you would only link after you create, but if you can find clear intent... there you go then. — neuro(talk) 00:56, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* The evidence is overwhelming. There is no point in pretending that this is anybody except Banime. Putting your own ridiculous requirements on the evidence doesn't make it any less significant. Any unbiased third party would clearly see these are the same people. TGH1970 (talk) 01:00, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* I understand what you are saying. If Banime didn't do this than someone who is out to smear him did. If he did do it, he should already know that the right answer is to come clean and fess up to it. My suggestion to you is that if you feel you are correct the proper route is to collect this information, present it in a fashion that makes your case (show the times of the edits and the posts, for starters) and make a clear, articulate and dispassionate argument that Banime==annefrankfanfic. Please do not get upset because we trust Banime more than we trust you. He is part of the community here and we aim to make this feel like a community--we don't want to throw him out on his rear end at the merest hint of impropriety. We aren't blind to facts and argumentation, but some bias cannot be removed. Please understand that. No matter who is correct, the truth will come out in the wash. Protonk (talk) 01:01, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* This post andthese edits. If this is somebody's underhanded conspiracy it would be one of the most complex and discrete in the history of the world. TGH1970 (talk) 00:56, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

Not sure how any of these new links you are posting are linked to me in any way and can be conceived of as vandalism in any sense of the word. They were not me, the IP proves that definitively. Annefrankfanatic said he was going to vandalize that link to X factor that you posted. He did so. The ip was from Australia. I live in Germany. --Banime (talk) 01:03, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

I don't see how the post two up manages to link them. Am I missing something? — neuro(talk) 01:04, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

Banime: Just so the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed, please confirm that you mistyped when you wrote above, "I am not annefrankfanatic" but meant to write "I am not anne frank fanfic", the user name of the poster at Somethingawful.com. Assuming that is out of the way, I gotta say I am appalled at the way this thread has progressed. Especially, I am sorry to say, the judgment exhibited by Protonk, the only admin with a substantial presence in the thread. An editor in good standing has been accused without sustainable evidence of serious infractions, and all you can think of writing is, "Despite some rather deep reservations I trust you," and "If he is lying to me, so be it. I chose to believe that he is not." The Germans have a phrase for this, they call it "a second-class acquittal". What Banime deserves instead is to have his name cleared in a resounding manner.--Goodmorningworld (talk) 01:08, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

Sorry I had the name wrong. I am not the user that TGH1970 accused me of being, "anne frank fanfic". --Banime (talk) 01:09, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* Really? In order to trust him I have to accept that someone stalked banime's good faith but misguided edits so closely that they posted to an SA forum within minutes of seeing them over multiple threads (at SA) and multiple articles (here) and that the person posting there was just hoping that banime's edits would be questionable (and was around no matter when they were made) and impersonated him on a forum off wiki (using a totally unrelated forum name). That's a staggering coincidence. It takes a hell of a lot to say "yes I trust you" when his word is the only exculpatory evidence. Protonk (talk) 01:13, 4 December 2008 (UTC)
o Wow. "Questionable edits," eh? -- Except that there is nothing at all wrong with the edits, even if they're not fit to be chiseled in stone and enshrined in Wikipedia 1.0. "Within minutes," you say? (A) How do you know that: what timezone does SA use, and what timezone does WP use? (B) Of course I can follow someone around on WP via "user contributions" and react in under a minute by reflecting a post on another website, no technical expertise required. So, guilty until proven innocent? (Counting the seconds until an imbecile tells me WIKIPEDIA IS NOT A COURT OF LAW.) I gotta stop, this is giving me heartburn.--Goodmorningworld (talk) 01:32, 4 December 2008 (UTC)
+ Sure. Questionable edits. Hoaxes. Subtle vandalism. A poorly sourced article that was a coatrack attack on a person. There is nothing wrong with these edits if they are taken in isolation. Creating Weedpunk is not an "offense" in any reasonable definition. But if it was created deliberately as a hoax w/ knowledge of our content guidelines, that is different. As for the time zone thing, ok. I'll bite. the SA times are probably shown in GMT. IF they aren't, then the posts to SA are (some constant number of hours) + 1-2 minutes each time. Tell me which one is more likely. As for the guilty before innocent drama, spare me. If we were really terrible people willing to ban banime at the drop of a hat he would have been indeffed a day ago. Protonk (talk) 01:41, 4 December 2008 (UTC)
+ Logout and all the times will match up in GMT. The reason they match up for you (Goodmorningworld) is because you've set the clock correctly on both your Wikipedia account and your SA forums account. TGH1970 (talk) 04:30, 4 December 2008 (UTC)
* The evidence is overwhelming. Banime will not be acquitted because the only evidence he can produce to the contrary is his own word saying he didn't do it. I reject that. The IP thing is a red herring since Banime is likely using a proxy. The user on SA and the user here are the same person. TGH1970 (talk) 01:16, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

You brought up the IP yourself, as a way of finally discerning guilt or innocence. Because it did not show the way you were arguing are not means to throw it out. As of now it is the most provable of your links, since, at 17 November, 2008 08:17 by that websites time, there is a post stating that he is about to vandalize. At 13:19 wikitime, the vandalism occurs(I'm pretty sure the hours are due to time zone differences and the minutes are what you should be concerned with). Within seconds, at 08:19 forums time he posts the vandalism in that link. This is almost guaranteed to be him, the ip was checked and it was from Australia. As stated before, I live in Germany. This is the only definitive proof that I can show, besides my word against the word of your very odd account and a website called something awful which apparently is a humor website.--Banime (talk) 01:36, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

The last time I looked, TGH, it was 'innocent until proven guilty'. — neuro(talk) 01:42, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

TGH, as I said before, you repeating that the evidence is overwhelming doesn't move the conversation forward. AN/I is an exceedingly well trafficked board and plenty of users besides neuro, banime and myself have seen this thread. If you were going to find takers on the "this evidence is compelling" front, you would have found them by now. Protonk (talk) 02:58, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* You yourself have said that it is very difficult for you to believe that Banime did not do things he is accused of doing. You've also said that the only reason you don't believe that is because he told you he didn't. Even though we have a record of his edits that show that he did.
* And now, on your talk page, you're talking about running a checkuser on me. Why are you attacking me for reporting this at ANI? What is so vitally important about Banime's contributions that you are willing to overlook egregious breeches of policy so that you can go after the person who filed the report? What have I done wrong in all of this except try to protect the encyclopedia from a person who has admitted they are trying to undermine the integrity of the project? TGH1970 (talk) 04:13, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* No one is attacking you. A checkuser will probably get filed to try and get to the bottom of things. If you are using another account concurrently and have made this one to avoid scrutiny being cast on that account, that is a problem. If you have just abandoned the old account then there isn't a problem. If you aren't using the old account you could just end this right now and tell us what it is. A situation like this is starved for context. We are trying to provide it. Also, I'm eminently pleased that both you and Goodmorningworld think I'm doing a poor job of this for exactly opposite reasons. Gives me some hope that I might be doing the right thing. Protonk (talk) 04:20, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* No. And I will fight any attempt to run a checkuser. I have committed no violation and this is now a witch hunt by several parties to try and fabricate a reason that Banime cannot be guilty of doing what he has done. There is absolutely no context needed here on my part. I've already explained (several times) how and why I discovered the violation being made and then reported it. That's as much due process as I need to go through. No other context is required for reports at ANI. Stop trying to make this about me when you are deliberetely refusing to acknowledge evidence against Banime. TGH1970 (talk) 04:35, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* Protonk has filed a second checkuser request against me, after Banime's initial request has been rejected. A second (and third and fourth) administrator needs to review this thread and make a judgment call so this circus can finally end. TGH1970 (talk) 04:47, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

* That request has also been declined. I would ask any (other) administrator now to review this case and make a ruling based on the facts. TGH1970 (talk) 22:43, 4 December 2008 (UTC)

I'd like to request TGH1970 to please stop attempting to disrupt all of my edits from here on out, such as with this. You seem very dismayed that I'm not constantly at ANI for some reason, but I'd rather continue my work here on wikipedia than keep reporting to this thread. Its very disrupting of you to post such a thing. If anyone would like to scour over my every edit to that article than please do so. However as it is now its just disrupting the process of further improving the encyclopedia. You've made your claims here TGH1970, and thankfully none of them have anything to do with any edits earlier than a few months ago, so I'd appreciate it if while this ANI is being carried out you'd refrain from trying to disrupt anything I'm working on. Thanks. --Banime (talk) 00:54, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

I'd have to ask a neutral editor or admin as well, if that edit should be allowed to stand on the FAC? Thanks for your time and input. --Banime (talk) 00:55, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

* Your edits need to be scrutinized. You have lost any credibility in this encyclopedia. TGH1970 (talk) 00:57, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

You've asserted that many times, but until this ANI is complete I'd really appreciate it if you stayed out of what I was working on if all you intend to do is disrupt it. Thanks. --Banime (talk) 00:58, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

* You should first give WP:OWN a good once over. The users on that page are entitled to know what you've been up to and what the possible outcome of that could be on their featured article. TGH1970 (talk) 01:00, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

I don't see how that policy relates with anything you've said. --Banime (talk) 01:06, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

* And one more thing about all of this: Jarin Udom is user Jargon on the Something Awful forums. The Podtats idea originated in FYAD and was only discussed there. There are no other sources from anywhere about Podtats, so Banime's material for that article had to have come directly out of that subforum. Considering his many derisive remarks about Jarin Udom' habits (all of which also originated in FYAD), this user demonstrates a level of knowledge about him that could not have come from any other place except the FYAD subforum at Something Awful. TGH1970 (talk) 00:57, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

Udom created the website Podtats.com --Banime (talk) 00:59, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

* But most of the information you inserted into that article was not public knowledge, nor was it publicly accessible through any other place except the Something Awful forums. How do you explain that? TGH1970 (talk) 01:00, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

* This all seems rather silly. Banime's push for Frederick the III is enough evidence that he is a standard user who produces valuable content. The burden of evidence has not been met to prove otherwise. Ottava Rima (talk) 01:00, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

* You should read the thread more carefully. Your friend appears to be rather two-faced about his participation in the project. TGH1970 (talk) 01:02, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

* Perhaps you should look into your history before you start throwing around comments like "your friend". I don't have a relationship with the user. You, however, seem to have one. If anyone is biased, you surely seem to be the person. Ottava Rima (talk) 01:04, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

* Important point #2: on his userpage, Banime makes reference to a stand up routine originated by Something Awful user Daniel "Flying Squid" Geduld (an article which User:Dans1120 was indefblocked for creating). Specifically, where he says "Goofy is my favorite, gorsh" is a reference to a specific part of this routine (at 1:00) which was widely panned by the FYAD subforum of SomethingAwful.com. One of the latest threads to do so is here and relevant pieces of that thread are here (from indefblocked Wikipedia user Rubber cat) and here (in the quote). TGH1970 (talk) 01:55, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

Pardon my French, TGH, but, please, shut the gently caress up before you put your foot any further into your mouth. You have not provided ample evidence to prove your claims, and instead when a neutral admin stated that he believed Banime, you attacked him. Now I'm stating I trust Banime's word more than yours. Two neutral administrators are siding with Banime because you're not providing any usable evidence; just drop it. -Jéské Couriano (v^_^v) 22:22, 5 December 2008 (UTC)

* No. I'm absolutely right about all of this and the only reason you're electing to be so hostile to me is because I don't necessarily have the longevity that Banime has. An avalanche of evidence says he's abusing this encyclopedia and you're only protecting him because you don't want to believe what's right in front of you. TGH1970 (talk) 01:45, 6 December 2008 (UTC)

I see no solid evidence, just a lot of circumstantial stuff that is entirely predicated on the assumption that Banime is also "Anne Frank fanfic." Since there's no solid evidence of that, all that your continuing to post more stuff is going to do is annoy and alienate more admins. I may be Just Another Ordinary Editor, but right now, all you're contributing here is a lot of hot air that isn't doing you any favors. Let it go. If Banime really is a vandal/troll, eventually, he'll edit in a way that'll get him blocked on his own. As it stands, I suspect you're getting close to getting blocked yourself for being disruptive here on ANI; the best move, at this point, is to disengage and find something else to do here. rdfox 76 (talk) 01:58, 6 December 2008 (UTC)

* Then I should probably be blocked, since the only counter evidence anybody has been able to offer in Banime's defense is "well he said he didn't do it." Sorry but that's not good enough for me and it shouldn't be good enough for anybody. TGH1970 (talk) 02:02, 6 December 2008 (UTC)
* And to say anything is "predicated" on anne frank fanfic and Banime being the same user is ridiculous, edit times on Wikipedia and post times on Something Awful show a clear correlation between these two users. The thread about Podtats demonstrates that Banime was the person who created that thread and continued to edit it for the past three months. It also demonstrates that he achieved a level of knowledge about Jarin Udom that he could only have gotten from the Something Awful forums (specifically the FYAD subforum where he posts as anne frank fanfic). Banime has yet to explan where else he would have found that information and how he could have come to know about Podtats outside of FYAD. That, I think, should be an important point in the investigation here. TGH1970 (talk) 02:05, 6 December 2008 (UTC)

* Here is another edit where Banime takes a potshot at Daniel Geduld. And here is Banime inserting a reference to the literary punk articles he previously vandalized and posted about Something Awful. And here he is adding World War II to the list of fan fiction he likes. Here I'm going to point out that Anne Frank Fanfiction would fall under that category and so far Banime has done an absolutely remarkable job of making fools out of everyone at ANI. TGH1970 (talk) 02:47, 6 December 2008 (UTC)

* Here he posts to an AFD about Anne Frank, where he casts a throwaway gimmick vote to keep it and here is the follow up post about it. TGH1970 (talk) 03:08, 6 December 2008 (UTC)

* I can't see the image he uploaded anymore, but this or this is probably the same as this which significantly predates the creation of that article, meaning that it likely came directly out of FYAD. The text that Banime inserted to the first paragraph of Podtats (which I can't link since it's been deleted) concerns a joke about backpedaling which originated here. Most of the jokes in that article are derived from this thread which, again, could only have been accessed through FYAD and would only be funny to the users who browse that forum. TGH1970 (talk) 03:19, 6 December 2008 (UTC)

* A google search for the term "Podtats" produces 0 third party sources for the term that don't trace back to somethingawful.com. There are a few hits which are mirrors of the now-deleted Wikipedia article, but nothing from any other blog, forum or any source of any kind except Something Awful. TGH1970 (talk) 03:28, 6 December 2008 (UTC)

[edit] Blocked, review requested

I have blocked TGH1970 (talk ˇ contribs ˇ deleted contribs ˇ logs ˇ block user ˇ block log) indefinitely for disrupting this page. He was warned many times above to disengage, but persists and continues to post here on a matter which should be closed. Of course, I welcome the input and review of this block by my fellow admins. -MBK004 04:10, 6 December 2008 (UTC)

* Seems relatively reasonable--I won't drat it with faint praise, I endorse the block. I count (not just on this talk page) 5 times where I told him that he should disengage, at least. I'd prefer we didn't have to block a user in the middle of their complaint against another but this is no longer the middle of the complaint--it is approaching the end. An unblock request that included some recognition that the user was acting as though they were on a crusade and contained a promise to either edit the encyclopedia or patiently wait out the end of the dispute could be accepted, IMO. Though I don't see one as forthcoming. Protonk (talk) 04:14, 6 December 2008 (UTC)
* JUst declined the unblock request, as he expressed that he wanted to retire. Given that a retired account isn't editing anymore (duh!) I declined the request. Oh, and I endorse the block to begin with... --Jayron32.talk.contribs 04:45, 6 December 2008 (UTC)

He just replaced his talk page with {{retired}}. After having posting another unblock request saying he wanted to appeal to arbcom. -MBK004 05:19, 6 December 2008 (UTC)

Docahedron
May 11, 2008

Im a special snowflake
Wikipedia admins are the worst

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
lol yep thats it i just found it myself and was coming to post it
for context TGH1970 is ty peppar (the guy who killed himself) trying to get Banime (anne frank fanfic from fyad i tihnk) banned from wikipedia

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Here's more investigation:

http://pages.citebite.com/n2j0v1h8l1jak

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
i noticed that wikipedians killing themselves seems to be something that men do. are there documented cases of womyn killing themselves because of wikipedia drama?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

quote:

I think it's important that we not let Wikipedia's callous disregard for the safety of its own (clearly very vulnerable) participants go unheeded. Wikipedia, by its nature, attracts vulnerable people, and by failing to take even the most minimal of efforts to prevent predatory and abusive behavior from within its ranks, bears at least some moral culpability for events like this.

What is this poo poo? It's an online encyclopedia, not a AA meeting.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It attracts autists

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Nooner posted:

like if i was going to list top 3 self pwns probably be

1.)Russian kid who jumped off building cause of anime
2.)Goon who jumped off bridge cause of wikipedia and womens studies
3.)this kid

Good list, but Budd Dwyer and the female newscaster that shot herself on air because she couldn't keep a relationship would be pretty high up there too.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mammal Sauce posted:

Good list, but Budd Dwyer and the female newscaster that shot herself on air because she couldn't keep a relationship would be pretty high up there too.

gently caress didnt even think about budd dwyer uhhhg going to need some serious reevaluation...

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

that's not an answer to my question.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

that's not an answer to my question.

What's up bud

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
If I learned anything from this thread its that fyad kills

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

trolld2deth

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Nooner posted:

gently caress didnt even think about budd dwyer uhhhg going to need some serious reevaluation...

And ehate about Elliot Rodgers

Or killdozer guy (thoue that's more of a "suicide")

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

And ehate about Elliot Rodgers

Or killdozer guy (thoue that's more of a "suicide")

drawing national attention to the fact you cant score so you kill yourself is the funniest self own

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
i thought this was going to be a joke post cause nobody cares about people who kill themselves
"Life goes on" bro, crack beer, go to dinner, go to work, maintian social etiquette, well that was sad but what could anyone do...

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
I remember that one guy who killed himself

he was the op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
elliot "never scored" rodgers is less funny cause he murdered a bunch of kids just cause he had a tiny dick and never touched a woman.

Its more funny when people just own themselves. It is pretty funny that he never scored tho

• Locked thread