Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel like a lot of people have played through this already, and probably want to talk about the whole game without having to use spoiler tags all of the time. this is the thread to do that.

anyway, i was thinking today how a good strategy for early game would be to sneak into hyrule castle as soon as possible (the ruto armor would make it pretty easy to swim up the waterfall to the undercroft area) and get a bunch of royal weapons. i'm relatively sure that there aren't any super hard enemies in the way, and you could use food to either sneak or climb around them.

i've been flipping through this speedrun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwehvc-XyWI

and it seems like doing the plateau first is still necessary. i've also picked up a few other cool tricks, like going into a shield skate animation mid jump for a little boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Have you seen the cool as hell shrine skips this person's posting? These own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEx7a3C-WTY

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

huh, that bomb jump w/ the shield is pretty awesome

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Harrow posted:

oh man

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wouldn't be surprised if the eventual WR speedrun for this game is like 30 to 40 minutes.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i wonder if they'll eventually be able to trigger getting the glider w/o doing the plateau shrines. thats the kinda stuff youd expect from an old 3d zelda but i imagine modern code is a little tighter than that

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

people found that you can ride a tree off the great plateau the moment you get stasis and theyre figuring out if doing this or getting the parasail is faster, it's nuts

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

extremebuff posted:

people found that you can ride a tree off the great plateau the moment you get stasis and theyre figuring out if doing this or getting the parasail is faster, it's nuts

uh...source?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

uh...source?

i cant find it but there was a shortclip of someone chopping a tree near the edge of the plateua, hitting it a couple times under stasis and riding it down safely to a little body of water

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

its an interesting skip but the glider probably winds up being way faster. it takes a minute to climb those giant towers around the castle and you can sail like 80% of the way to the throne

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

extremebuff posted:

its an interesting skip but the glider probably winds up being way faster. it takes a minute to climb those giant towers around the castle and you can sail like 80% of the way to the throne

Well you still need to collect weapons in the castle, so going straight to the the end isn't ideal. I need to see the early plateau exit because I was under the impression that the plateau was its own map until you got the glider.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Well you still need to collect weapons in the castle, so going straight to the the end isn't ideal. I need to see the early plateau exit because I was under the impression that the plateau was its own map until you got the glider.

tbh theres every possibility it was faked, he didnt go through menus and confirm he didnt have the glider or anything

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wonder if anyone will even try to route an all shrines/all beasts speedrun. I have no idea how much time that would take just with getting around.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Eagle posted:

at the start of the run i linked he mentioned something about this. you can get down there, but it fucks up the second phase of gannon, apparently? he might just be going on a rumor too.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
so here are a few classic zelda aspects that were absent in the game and i think might show up in a DLC (or maybe i just missed them):

the triforce only really shows up (sort of) in the end boss fight and in some iconography. i thought the wisdom / power / courage shrines might lead me to it, but they were just fairly generic rewards and spirit orbs.

no hands that grab you, like-likes, darknuts, armos, gohma or other spiders. i was happy with the enemies overall, but would like to see some more variety in the game.

no ocarina, but this would be a cool mechanical addition in the future

gannon doesn't really have a backstory, which is often part of the games. i think they hint at him being disguised a gerudo voe once or twice in the dialogue, but not much else.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

if you stasis a tree and launch it directly into death mountain while wearing the flamebreaker set you can play as luigi

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Man i did soo many sidequests and shrines, got like every armor set and all, built up tarreytown and got a house and everything and the completion at the end was only 25% lol. At least 60 percent of it has got to be korok seeds

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

HORMELCHILI posted:

Man i did soo many sidequests and shrines, got like every armor set and all, built up tarreytown and got a house and everything and the completion at the end was only 25% lol. At least 60 percent of it has got to be korok seeds

I read somewhere that each individual thing (shrine/korok seed/side quest/compendium item) is an unweighted .08%. Which would mean that korok seeds are about 72 percent of the total completion.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

i was noticing how minimal the score was and how it teased certain parts of the classic zelda theme but didnt go fully into it so at the end hearing that swelling orchestral version of it was like its own reward for beating the game for me

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HORMELCHILI posted:

i was noticing how minimal the score was and how it teased certain parts of the classic zelda theme but didnt go fully into it so at the end hearing that swelling orchestral version of it was like its own reward for beating the game for me

:yeah:

i started to feel that way about the game at a certain point. you get to the point where you don't really need upgrades any more, and just exploring, seeing stuff, and getting into cool battles is the main driving force behind playing.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

boss tier list
thunderblight ganon
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
ganon
yiga clan man
-
-
-
the rest

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lynells aren't bosses, but they are my favorite enemies to fight in the game.

i still haven't fought a desert worm yet.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ah i just meant the main bosses. the lynels are fun yeah, the advanced ones with the giant clubs aren't loving around. i think in 4* hylian plate the silver ones would still rip off 8 hearts a swing it's crazy

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i agree w/ your tier list regarding the main bosses.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

https://twitter.com/venick409/status/839533795862786048

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

apparently there is a void trigger around the plateau until you get the glider, but it has holes you can sneak through

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

...sick

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I love this game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

gannon doesn't really have a backstory, which is often part of the games. i think they hint at him being disguised a gerudo voe once or twice in the dialogue, but not much else.

I'm not even sure there is much of a Ganon backstory to tell this time because it seems like his backstory here is just all of the other Zelda games. Like when Urbosa says he took the form of a gerudo voe once, that's probably just referring to the times when he took human form, like Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess.

Classic Zelda thing I want in the game: a boss you play tennis with.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Harrow posted:

Classic Zelda thing I want in the game: a boss you play tennis with.

it was awesome doing this with ganon and not being sure if thats what i was supposed to do

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

extremebuff posted:

it was awesome doing this with ganon and not being sure if thats what i was supposed to do

Could you do that with the lightning orbs he shot? I actually didn't try, just figured I'd get shocked. I did deflect his lasers back though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i meant the lasers haha, the electricity would just fry you. i just didnt expect the game to actually go "ok you know that cool thing you may or may not have pulled off on the guardians? well.."

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i had never parried outside of the parry tutorial until the gannon bossfight. is there another way to knock him out of invincibility?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

extremebuff posted:

i meant the lasers haha, the electricity would just fry you. i just didnt expect the game to actually go "ok you know that cool thing you may or may not have pulled off on the guardians? well.."

I managed to finish off Calamity Ganon with a reflected laser and it felt extremely :hellyeah:

sector_corrector posted:

i had never parried outside of the parry tutorial until the gannon bossfight. is there another way to knock him out of invincibility?

He drops it sometimes on his own, and he'll drop it if you trigger a flurry rush

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

supposedly electricity does it.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

i've been sneaking into hyrule castle just to get cool crap and finish some side quests even tho i wasn't prepared to beat the game so i heard it early :smugbird:

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have the urge to start another file with everything i know about the combat system now, but i don't want to burn out on this before the dlc

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

Urbosa's attack will do it, Daruk's shield will reflect them just like parrying, and you can buy Ancient Shields from Robbie which reflect guardian and Ganon lasers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The Hylian shield will deflect lasers without having to parry as well

• Locked thread