Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel like a lot of people have played through this already, and probably want to talk about the whole game without having to use spoiler tags all of the time. this is the thread to do that.

anyway, i was thinking today how a good strategy for early game would be to sneak into hyrule castle as soon as possible (the ruto armor would make it pretty easy to swim up the waterfall to the undercroft area) and get a bunch of royal weapons. i'm relatively sure that there aren't any super hard enemies in the way, and you could use food to either sneak or climb around them.

i've been flipping through this speedrun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwehvc-XyWI

and it seems like doing the plateau first is still necessary. i've also picked up a few other cool tricks, like going into a shield skate animation mid jump for a little boost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harrow posted:

Have you seen the cool as hell shrine skips this person's posting? These own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEx7a3C-WTY

huh, that bomb jump w/ the shield is pretty awesome

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i wouldn't be surprised if the eventual WR speedrun for this game is like 30 to 40 minutes.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evil Eagle posted:

Well you still need to collect weapons in the castle, so going straight to the the end isn't ideal. I need to see the early plateau exit because I was under the impression that the plateau was its own map until you got the glider.

at the start of the run i linked he mentioned something about this. you can get down there, but it fucks up the second phase of gannon, apparently? he might just be going on a rumor too.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
so here are a few classic zelda aspects that were absent in the game and i think might show up in a DLC (or maybe i just missed them):

the triforce only really shows up (sort of) in the end boss fight and in some iconography. i thought the wisdom / power / courage shrines might lead me to it, but they were just fairly generic rewards and spirit orbs.

no hands that grab you, like-likes, darknuts, armos, gohma or other spiders. i was happy with the enemies overall, but would like to see some more variety in the game.

no ocarina, but this would be a cool mechanical addition in the future

gannon doesn't really have a backstory, which is often part of the games. i think they hint at him being disguised a gerudo voe once or twice in the dialogue, but not much else.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

HORMELCHILI posted:

i was noticing how minimal the score was and how it teased certain parts of the classic zelda theme but didnt go fully into it so at the end hearing that swelling orchestral version of it was like its own reward for beating the game for me

:yeah:

i started to feel that way about the game at a certain point. you get to the point where you don't really need upgrades any more, and just exploring, seeing stuff, and getting into cool battles is the main driving force behind playing.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lynells aren't bosses, but they are my favorite enemies to fight in the game.

i still haven't fought a desert worm yet.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i agree w/ your tier list regarding the main bosses.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

...sick

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i had never parried outside of the parry tutorial until the gannon bossfight. is there another way to knock him out of invincibility?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i have the urge to start another file with everything i know about the combat system now, but i don't want to burn out on this before the dlc

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i ended up being pretty good at parrying, i had just never had to do it before that point. apparently i still didn't. i did get a few flurry rushes in on him, but it was mostly parrying the lazers and magma balls

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol, that's awesome. i love the fact that they handcrafted these puzzles, but also trust the player enough to just let them totally bypass them w/ lateral thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
a rain song to start / stop thunderstorms would be cool (esp to trigger lightning strikes on certain enemies), but maybe a little broken for some parts

• Locked thread