Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

It's that time of year again! The Combine has come and gone, the Pro Days are proceeding with almost no draft-shattering injuries, and any free agents likely to affect a team's draft have been signed. All that stands between your team and the Super Bowl now is a slam-dunk draft class. Are you a great enough football mind to lead your team to glory? Welcome to the 2017 Goon Draft!

The Rules

Each team will have one poster as its GM, responsible for making the picks. Teams are first come first serve. War rooms are fine, so long as there is a designated spokesperson. Picks will be made in a separate thread. The clock on each pick is 24 hours, at which point if the spokesperson has not made a pick I will make one for them. No trades will be allowed, as they just tend to complicate things and previous drafts have run much more efficiently without them. Any actual trades that have taken place are reflected in the order below, and if any occur between now and the start of our draft the appropriate changes will be made. After we start, though, the first round order is locked in. If you just want to take part and don’t care which team you get, post and I’ll assign you to a team that might not have any other takers.

The Teams

Here’s the first-round draft order:

1. Cleveland Gatts
2. San Francisco Coldforge
3. Chicago zimbomonkey
4. Jacksonville Teva
5. Tennessee - from Los Angeles Rams Demon Of The Fall
6. New York Jets mcmagic
7. Los Angeles Chargers HOTLANTA MAN
8. Carolina TheFlyingLlama
9. Cincinnati No Irish Need Imply
10. Buffalo fsif
11. New Orleans Silly Burrito
12. Cleveland - from Philadelphia Gatts
13. Arizona MrLogan
14. Philadelphia - from Minnesota 89
15. Indianapolis ShakeZula
16. Baltimore The Puppy Bowl
17. Washington Beer4TheBeerGod
18. Tennessee Demon Of The Fall
19. Tampa Bay wandler20
20. Denver a neat cape
21. Detroit Shangri-Law School
22. Miami Amy Pole Her
23. New York Giants Saucer Crab
24. Oakland warcrimes
25. Houston Sad King Billy
26. Seattle JIZZ DENOUEMENT
27. Kansas City No Butt Stuff
28. Dallas incompetent
29. Green Bay Abugadu
30. Pittsburgh Perry the Platypus
31. Atlanta pubic works project
32. New Orleans - from New England Silly Burrito

New England Detroit_Dogg
Los Angeles Rams DariusLikewise

Claim your teams!

Edit: Here's the spreadsheet No Butt Stuff made to help track which of the top prospects have been picked: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/130B79wMsSDVyLDRiqic4XUJRlLFDwTJ-OtU5iHBdlUQ/edit#gid=522664237

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Roasted Donut posted:

I will also take the New England Patriots.

Sorry RD, the Pats have to play by the rules in this thread!

Edit: VVVV You got it!

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 19, 2017

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

89 posted:

Wait, how do we do war rooms?

No real system, it's just a fancier way of saying "get advice on the pick." I used PMs for my war room a few years ago, but any kind of private communication would work as well.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Detroit_Dogg and Roasted Donut would like to offer their draft pick up for trade.

You Patriots are really pushing my buttons!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

We have two posters signed up as wildcards, and ElToasto has told me he's down for a team if it has no takers, so we really just need two more.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Alright, with our two uncommitted drafters and only two teams left, we have a full roster. I'll make the picks thread when I get home and we can get started.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Alright, so with Intruder out I reassigned the Texans to Sad King Billy, and put MrLogan in charge of the Cardinals. Special thanks to DariusLikewise for reminding me that the Rams exist, as I had completely forgotten about them

Edit: Picks thread is up! Gatts and the Cleveland Browns are on the clock

ShakeZula fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 24, 2017

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Darth Brooks posted:

I don't know if anyone has been assigned to Minnesota, but man, that's going to be thankless task.

Dang, I forgot about Minnesota. Teams need to stop trading away their first-rounders so they show up on my list. Any takers?

Edit: And while I'm at it, any other teams I missed?

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

drat you Silly Burrito, I was hoping he'd fall to me

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Pick is in. Pass rush is a huge need for the Colts but the value just wasn't there and the CB2 on the roster right now is literally Rashaan loving Melvin, so Humphrey seemed like the right choice.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/130B79wMsSDVyLDRiqic4XUJRlLFDwTJ-OtU5iHBdlUQ/edit?usp=sharing

Use it, or don't. Whatever. Let me know who needs edit access since I'll be busy (lose interest) around round 3 I'm sure.

Added to OP, thanks!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Have to say, I'm very surprised and very pleased that Takk fell to me. I was sure I'd get sniped again.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Gatts posted:

DAMNIT. Dion Dawkins is taken. NOW WHAT. I don't like this draft class, man.

Seems cruel to doom poor Nathan Peterman to a career with the wrong name on his jersey though :)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

Wait is Davis available ?

Jarrad Davis is available, though I almost took him myself (and would have if Takk had been taken)

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

:siren: The New England Patriots will finally pick :siren:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

So how far do you think we'll get? 5th round?

That's what we've done the last couple years. I would expect the pace to only slow down at this point though, as the rounds get longer and people's known prospects come off the board. I'm thinking maybe we get through Rd 4 at this point.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The shameful Patriots have missed their pick, so I will now take the person mocked to them in the next round on WalterFootball.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Was Carl Lawson actually available? I'm an embarrassment to this make believe internet football draft.

Yep. I thought about taking him in the 2nd before Takk fell to me, and then I guess he fell into my blindspot because he wasn't even on my radar for this round.

Carl Lawson, the Forgotten Man

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

If anybody has a good way of reaching Ross tell him he's 2 hours away from missing his pick

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Quit dragging your feet, Shangri-Law School. I feel like it's been your turn forever

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

At this point I believe Tom Sellout should pick for the Pats.

If anybody has a way of reaching Dogg or RD, let them know they're on a 12hr clock because they missed their last pick and never turned up after.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Patriots: Still Shameful

I was going to just pick off the "Best Names" list for them, but they don't deserve Weston Steelhammer. So I think I'll stick with my tactic of "one round later in mocks."

Detroit_Dogg or Roasted Donut must now post in this thread to reclaim the Patriots. If they don't by the time their next pick comes up there won't be a clock, I'll pick for them right away and it won't be pretty!

Unless somebody else wants to step in and claim them...

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

I like the DT from IOWA even though their players kinda suck in the NFL

Jaleel Johnson was already picked by the Chargers

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Amy Pole Her posted:

Whoops. Search on a phone doesn't work great. drat.

I'm barely gonna be on, I'll have to think of a DT or S I want

I got you

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Curse you drafters that don't have PMs, and in the case of a neat cape also have lots of picks

That's 24 hours on the Broncos, will make the pick shortly

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Bump the time to 8-12 hours or default pick and you might get through four by Thursday.

I hesitate to bump it up too much, since a 12 hour limit can result in somebody missing their pick just because they're at work or something. And it's not really as fun to make it through the fourth if it's me making half the picks. I plan to let the chips fall where they may, and hope that we make it to my 4th-rounder.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I will pick them up if that is ok?

Go for it, should just be the one pick we get to anyway

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

drat, this thing really moved along while I was at work. Way to go everybody!

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

fsif posted:

Thanks for putting this together. Real pain in the rear end to keep going, I'm sure, and it's always fun.

Happy to do it! The real draft is my favorite football thing, and if I wasn't running this thing I'd just be anxiously waiting for it to start every year and picking for the Colts (which I was doing before I just kind of took it over a few years ago).

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

You know what? This close to the draft we don't have time to wait around for someone I can't PM. Ross has one hour and then I'm making his pick.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

There's no time, and my next pick is so close, Perry has until I wake in the morning or I'm going to pick for him.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

And that's a wrap, just in time! Way to go everybody, the last two days have been an impressive-as-hell sprint to the finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

I think the Colts outdrafted me this year, which is a welcome change of pace. In my draft though we at least ended up with Takk McKinley, the man who swore on his grandmother's deathbed that he would kill Tom Brady.

• Locked thread