Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
:rip: Mrs. Landingham, second best character after Oliver babbish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
The thing originally that made me start to not like it was once I watched the original House of Cards and yes minister I realized that the show was just way too optimistic for my taste. Plus then I went left, now it just seems like liberal fantasy.

Hey is that Flox from the worst Trek tv show?

Crowsbeak has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Mar 19, 2017

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not awful, but it's already very dated just in terms of writing and style. It's the best Sorkin show, but it's still a Sorkin show. I'd rather watch West Wing than the Newsroom, which is unbelievable garbage. West Wing is at least a mostly-competent drama. But frankly, if you want punchy dialogue and character moments, just watch Gilmore Girls instead.

This is good advice.

Gilmore Girls :3:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Barbe Rouge posted:

I like it a lot but it can be cringy. And as somebody else said, it's high fantasy, a constantly scrolling subtitle "THIS IS WHAT THE POLITICAL LANYARD PEOPLE ACTUALLY BELIEVE" would be useful.

Remember when Trump first announced Gorsuch for the Supreme Court and a few libs wanted Ginsburg to retire so Trump could put Merrick Garland in her seat so "everybody would be happy"? Literally a West Wing episode :laffo:

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
The president's personal aid gets cucked by a frenchmen who then goes on to roofie the president's daughter leading to her being kidnapped by nazis radical islamic terrorists. That is an actual West Wing plot line.

Bear Retrieval Unit has issued a correction as of 00:04 on Mar 20, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

were they nazis? i thought it was tied to the stupid af qumar plot

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

The president's personal aid gets cucked by a frenchmen who then goes on to roofie the president's daughter leading to her being kidnapped by nazis. That is an actual West Wing plot line.

Yeah but Acting President John Goodman was dope

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Raskolnikov38 posted:

were they nazis? i thought it was tied to the stupid af qumar plot

Yeah my bad. The nazis were the ones who tried to assassinate the president.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Yeah but Acting President John Goodman was dope

he got more done in a week than Bartlet did in seven seasons

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's a lot bad about the west wing but i can't not love CJ Craig

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

zeal posted:

there's a lot bad about the west wing but i can't not love CJ Craig

The Jackal was the highlight of the show.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

Watch the first season of Heroes instead

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

the best worst thing about the west wing was the entire season they spent trying to hide the bin laden stand-in assassination from the american public instead of shouting it from the rooftops. and then it became even more hilarious when obama actually killed bin laden and announced it immediately

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Kingfish posted:

This sounds like stdh, but my Comm 101 professor made us watch a monologue called "America isn't the greatest country in the world.":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHSXUS0_1c

He thought it was an amazing speech, but I thought probably the stupidest thing I'd ever heard. I didn't realize until Chapo that over-educated liberals really do believe this poo poo.

Is the reason this is bad is that it's not a comprehensive enough list of all the bad poo poo about this country? Or just because it's from the newsroom

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

BraveUlysses posted:

Is the reason this is bad is that it's not a comprehensive enough list of all the bad poo poo about this country? Or just because it's from the newsroom

I mostly like it, but it pretends America was ever good. Not the greatest, just good.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

west wing is empty non political idealism and house of cards is empty non political nihilism

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I love that the Trump campaign and presidency has jumped the shark on reality and ruined contemporary political dramas.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

watch Veep imo

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

R. Guyovich posted:

west wing is empty non political idealism and house of cards is empty non political nihilism

hm maybe i should give house of cards another shot
i didn't find it that interesting tapped out middle of season 1

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Veep owns

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

R. Guyovich posted:

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i liked british house of cards better because it seemed like francis urquhart was actually having fun compared to frank underwood who is just a zombie

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

i tried watching west wing and the very first episode involved president martin sheen bringing a bunch of evangelical leaders into a conference room and owning them with their own logic. that was as far as i got

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's really easy to bring up the concept of a scene out of context and make the show seem Real Bad, but it's actually a good show.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
The best political TV show is actually Veep

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

LinYutang has issued a correction as of 05:49 on Mar 20, 2017

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYOE8kL3dac

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Fullhouse posted:

i tried watching west wing and the very first episode involved president martin sheen bringing a bunch of evangelical leaders into a conference room and owning them with their own logic. that was as far as i got

that's the only way sorkin knows to establish a protagonist

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I will say it's extremely funny to watch Sorkin's mouthpiece characters advocate for keeping marijuana illegal while he was snorting mountains of cocaine.

Also there's a subplot referencing a time he went on the Television Without Pity forums and got harassed by fans. He takes potshots at the moderators of the forum.

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 07:21 on Mar 20, 2017

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

LinYutang posted:

The best political TV show is actually Veep

this
also the thick of it

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

R. Guyovich posted:

that's the only way sorkin knows to establish a protagonist

President Bartlett wasn't even supposed to be the series protagonist or that big a part of the show initially; Sorkin intended him to only make periodic appearances every few episodes and the majority of the show focus on the scutwork of his staff, but Sheen made such an impression early on that the writers decided to make him much more prominent.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

BraveUlysses posted:

Because its the stupidest thing I've ever seen or heard. The scene is a a dipshit liberal's melodramatic conception of "telling it like it is" complete with the pathetic Yglesias-style cursing. I just watched it again for the first time in years to make sure I didn't misremember how bad it was and now I need a retard vaccine.

E: "We used to fight wars for moral reasons. . . we waged war on poverty not poor people."

The Kingfish has issued a correction as of 23:03 on Mar 20, 2017

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

A lot of people hate when somebody starts telling them about dreams they had but what's even worse is having to witness Aaron Sorkin's wet dreams

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Aaron Sorkin did some hard thinking about the defects of contemporary liberalism back in 2012 and conclude that liberals were losing political battles because they weren't smug enough.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm not sold on this show, but then again, it doesn't have that scene from ER where a hated character is crushed by a helicopter

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
if you're going to subject yourself to "THIS IS WHAT LIBERALS ACTUALLY BELIEVE" television, you're much better off with parks and rec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nojC6fP56VI

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Idk you could do a leftist reading of Parks & Rec even if that wasn't their intention. The whole show is set in a suburban nightmare where substantial politics are all dominated by a greedy candy company, and the best the liberal bureaucracy can do is beautify some public spaces without actually improving the lives of its isolated, borderline schizophrenic residents.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Kingfish posted:

Because its the stupidest thing I've ever seen or heard. The scene is a a dipshit liberal's melodramatic conception of "telling it like it is" complete with the pathetic Yglesias-style cursing. I just watched it again for the first time in years to make sure I didn't misremember how bad it was and now I need a retard vaccine.

E: "We used to fight wars for moral reasons. . . we waged war on poverty not poor people."

I like the part where he finishes his list of all the ways his generation hosed up the America that their parents built and ends it with "oh btw you kids are the worst generation ever". Sure ok.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Hey remember all those moral wars against the rich injuns lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
the show's greatest crime is that it didn't end with everyone involved, from the actors to the writers to the production staff to the audience itself, being put to death.

• Locked thread