Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

One if my friends who watches a lot of anime would insist that she and her roommates watch The West Wing together, in order to prove to them that she didn't just watch anime all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

an actual dog posted:

One if my friends who watches a lot of anime would insist that she and her roommates watch The West Wing together, in order to prove to them that she didn't just watch anime all the time.

its anime for liberals

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

The Kingfish posted:

Because its the stupidest thing I've ever seen or heard. The scene is a a dipshit liberal's melodramatic conception of "telling it like it is" complete with the pathetic Yglesias-style cursing. I just watched it again for the first time in years to make sure I didn't misremember how bad it was and now I need a retard vaccine.

E: "We used to fight wars for moral reasons. . . we waged war on poverty not poor people."

I had a friend who gave me the Newsroom on a usb stick and was all "check it out, you'll love it". I got halfway through that speech before pulling the usb stick out of my computer and stamping it to bits. It's so bad it made me angry. Like, autistic angry. Newsroom gave me autism.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

suburban virgin posted:

I had a friend who gave me the Newsroom on a usb stick and was all "check it out, you'll love it". I got halfway through that speech before pulling the usb stick out of my computer and stamping it to bits. It's so bad it made me angry. Like, autistic angry. Newsroom gave me autism.

this guy is cool

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

The Brown Menace posted:

its anime for liberals
as somebody who was a huge West Wing fan securely until 2016 this is scarily loving accurate

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The problem with the West Wing is that it assumes most people are generally motivated to do the right or ethical thing.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Newsroom tried to warn us about the danger of internet trolls, we didn't listen.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

tadashi posted:

The problem with the West Wing is that it assumes most people are generally motivated to do the right or ethical thing.

I would call that "a" problem, not "the" problem. Quite often the writers' conception of what "the right thing" might be is a little strange.

Like in that episode I mentioned earlier the show's protagonists heroically strike a bargain to cut social security and raise the retirement age, but alas they have to do the noble thing and allow some senators to take credit for their amazing accomplishment. In the minds of the writers this is an incredible act of civic virtue.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Helsing posted:

I would call that "a" problem, not "the" problem. Quite often the writers' conception of what "the right thing" might be is a little strange.

Like in that episode I mentioned earlier the show's protagonists heroically strike a bargain to cut social security and raise the retirement age, but alas they have to do the noble thing and allow some senators to take credit for their amazing accomplishment. In the minds of the writers this is an incredible act of civic virtue.

The Bartlett administration was literally Obama lmao

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

BraveUlysses posted:

Is the reason this is bad is that it's not a comprehensive enough list of all the bad poo poo about this country? Or just because it's from the newsroom

as soon as the character waxes nostalgic for the 50s and 60s it gets really bad, because it's obvious that he's ignoring the serious problems of that era to wax nostalgic about walter cronkite and edward murrow

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Jed at least had qualms about bombing brown people

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No, the Bartlett administration accomplished things.

They're clearly meant to be a fantasy third term of Bill Clinton's administration, what with their obsession with polling and reacting to polls.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

WampaLord posted:

No, the Bartlett administration accomplished things.

They're clearly meant to be a fantasy third term of Bill Clinton's administration, what with their obsession with polling and reacting to polls.

the first 3 seasons had the white house gang reacting to actual clinton scandals in the way that aaron sorkin thought they should have been addressed, like bartlet was literally given the line "the era of big government is over" for his state of the union and the episode is sorkin smugly dunking on the dingus who put that line into clinton's speech

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

the first 3 seasons had the white house gang reacting to actual clinton scandals in the way that aaron sorkin thought they should have been addressed, like bartlet was literally given the line "the era of big government is over" for his state of the union and the episode is sorkin smugly dunking on the dingus who put that line into clinton's speech

Pretty savage own against Clinton.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

The Brown Menace posted:

its anime for liberals

Martin Sheen bodypillow when?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i met someone who likes the show based on how cheesy and stupid the premises are. that's the only way to like The West Wing correctly

CrumFUNist!
Nov 27, 2005

Why are Sorkin's Republicans always to the left of real life Democrats?

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

CrumFUNist! posted:

Why are Sorkin's Republicans always to the left of real life Democrats?

Truth is less electable than fiction

A baby ate my dingo
May 12, 2001
The best part about re-watching The West Wing is how there's episode plots involving universal healthcare, minimum wage, college fees and various other things that are still problems nearly 20 years later.

e: Actually that episode where 3 of the characters are stranded in some rural space because they have no idea how life works outside of a big city is pretty funny.

A baby ate my dingo has issued a correction as of 05:42 on Mar 22, 2017

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

A baby ate my dingo posted:

The best part about re-watching The West Wing is how there's episode plots involving universal healthcare, minimum wage, college fees and various other things that are still problems nearly 20 years later.

e: Actually that episode where 3 of the characters are stranded in some rural space because they have no idea how life works outside of a big city is pretty funny.

in fairness those counties that go against the rest of their state on daylight savings can go suck a dick

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
all i know about this show is the mercator scene

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Kurtofan posted:

all i know about this show is the mercator scene

That scene is good

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
*does a big rail of coke* time for a walk and talk *i say aaron sorkin-ly*

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A baby ate my dingo posted:

20 years later the Democrats are going to argue that all of those things are never ever gonna happen, and that's why we have to nominate Hillary Clinton.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
the best episode is when toby goes and smugly owns leftists protesting the wto

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Baloogan posted:

hm maybe i should give house of cards another shot
i didn't find it that interesting tapped out middle of season 1

that's right before it starts to get good! mind you, i don't know how i would feel if i started watching it after having watched trump tv for the past couple years

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Season 2 of Cards starts out with a real banger but then quickly devolves into who gives a gently caress

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
the transition from west-wing -> house of cards is basically liberals coming to the realization that they don't know what the gently caress they're doing

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.
I like the episode where for 45 minutes the PoTUS is telling us how terrible we all are for being American. And then, in the last -10 mninute, PoTUS be like: "naaah we boss as gently caress yo. Now watch me stand on this soap box and jerk off with aaron sorkin to the tune of the Star Spangled Banner played and sung by Nickelback."

"HEY NICKLEBACK... PLAY ME OFF. "

Also, he is the original MAGA PoTUS. Trump doesn't have poo poo on this guy.

tl;dr

bad. go watch Legion instead.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

rudatron posted:

the transition from west-wing -> house of cards is basically liberals coming to the realization that they don't know what the gently caress they're doing
More like from West Wing to The Thick Of It.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Helsing posted:

what about the time they solve the palestine/israel conflict by giving palestinians diplomatic rights to islamic holy sites and no other promises whatsoever

that one was pretty lollerskate

that said i actually enjoyed West Wing because i could take it at face value, would watch again

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pierson posted:

More like from West Wing to The Thick Of It.

Iannucci is the greatest political satirist of our time.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

if you're going to subject yourself to "THIS IS WHAT LIBERALS ACTUALLY BELIEVE" television, you're much better off with parks and rec

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nojC6fP56VI

This show would have been good if it had Leslie as an unreliable narrator and occasionally gave glimpse of the actual world/events

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Iannucci is the greatest political satirist of our time.
I keep meaning to watch Veep but there's no time anymore. :(

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SickZip posted:

This show would have been good if it had Leslie as an unreliable narrator and occasionally gave glimpse of the actual world/events

That's season one. It wasn't that good.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Veep is a great sitcom but you can tell that Iannucci keeps developing more and more outlandish political situations to try and contort the Presidency / Vice Presidency into resembling the British system. The plot arc of season 5 in particular would make perfect sense in a parliamentary system but is completely implausible as a plot line for the American executive branch.

None of which stops it from being one of the best shows on the air right now, even if it's seems weirdly dated and quaint in the age of Trump.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Helsing posted:

Veep is a great sitcom but you can tell that Iannucci keeps developing more and more outlandish political situations to try and contort the Presidency / Vice Presidency into resembling the British system. The plot arc of season 5 in particular would make perfect sense in a parliamentary system but is completely implausible as a plot line for the American executive branch.

None of which stops it from being one of the best shows on the air right now, even if it's seems weirdly dated and quaint in the age of Trump.

The first thing he said after Trump was elected is that he has to go back to writing, so the new season will be a Trump's America zone.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

he left after season 4

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
The first series of the (original) UK version of House of Cards is really, really good. The second series is good. The third series is ok.

I recommend it to everyone but nobody wants to watch british political intrigue with a daddy-fetish subplot. You should, though, I think its still on Netflix

edit: for the record its a hundred times better than the Netflix US version, which is just dumb

walgreenslatino has issued a correction as of 21:57 on Mar 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The first thing he said after Trump was elected is that he has to go back to writing, so the new season will be a Trump's America zone.

That moment when she pulls a Rick Perry and accidentally says it's time to "repel" immigrants, only to have her poll numbers surge, felt very Trumpian, but overall the show feels like it's been overtaken by the sheer absurdity of real life.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

he left after season 4

I'm surprised to hear that. Having the House of Representatives choosing the President, while theoretically something that could happen, is so improbably that it felt like an awkward attempt to replicate the British parliamentary system for picking the Prime Minister and I just assumed that was Ianucci's handiwork

Apparently his next project is going to be a comedy film about the death of Stalin, which sounds C-SPAM as gently caress.

• Locked thread