Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Helsing posted:

Apparently his next project is going to be a comedy film about the death of Stalin, which sounds C-SPAM as gently caress.

Stalin trained his guards not to enter his apartment even if they thought something was wrong, and he would troll them to figure out which ones would defy the order. So when he had a stroke nobody went in and he died, so that's pretty goddamn funny off the bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Helsing posted:

Veep is a great sitcom but you can tell that Iannucci keeps developing more and more outlandish political situations to try and contort the Presidency / Vice Presidency into resembling the British system. The plot arc of season 5 in particular would make perfect sense in a parliamentary system but is completely implausible as a plot line for the American executive branch.

None of which stops it from being one of the best shows on the air right now, even if it's seems weirdly dated and quaint in the age of Trump.

I mean, Congress almost got to pick the president. It wasn't that far off. I'd argue they predicted and captured the chaos of the 2016 election perfectly even though, plot-wise, it wasn't any sort of mirror of the election itself.

Also, everyone stabbing everyone in the back during last season is exactly what's going on right now.

Finally, Meyer sitting alone on the bleachers with the Washington Monument in the background trying not to cry was an insanely loaded moment for a show that's just one joke after the next for 5 seasons. Maybe someone who interprets it in a similar way but understands how to explain film better than me can explain how it works better than I could. It's a really good show.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Stephanie Meyer is an awful person, so I felt Schadenfreude.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Stephanie Meyer is an awful person, so I felt Schadenfreude.

cmon, twilight's not that bad

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

Apparently his next project is going to be a comedy film about the death of Stalin, which sounds C-SPAM as gently caress.
*in zizek voice* Now, you see, Stalin has died twice: First as tragedy, zhen as farce

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

cmon, twilight's not that bad

*Selena :sweatdrop:

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

rudatron posted:

*in zizek voice* Now, you see, Stalin has died twice: First as tragedy, zhen as farce

Actually just once, for our sins

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

It's fine, it just has a tendency to live in fantasy liberal land a bit too much. The challenges it presents in the show are always swatted away far too easily and it presents too many politicians as being noble and intelligent defenders of the state, as opposed to the reality in which they're spineless slime monsters in it for themselves.

You're choice is between the happy world of The West Wing or the nihilistic everything-is-poo poo world of House of Cards.

Or Veep I suppose.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Aaron Sorkin had some burning questions about the lack of diversity in writers’ rooms — an issue that he apparently didn’t know much about until he visited the Writers Guild Festival on Saturday inside the Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study in Hollywood.

“Are you saying that women and minorities have a more difficult time getting their stuff read than white men and you’re also saying that [white men] get to make mediocre movies and can continue on?” he asked the audience.

The weekend-long festival, hosted in partnership with the Academy Education and Nicholl Fellowships Programs, featured headline panels with screenwriter notables including James Gunn (“Guardians of the Galaxy”) and sneak peek screenings of Starz’s “American Gods” and Fox’s “Shots Fired,” as well as a pitch competition and industry networking opportunities.

Sorkin, Academy-Award winning screenwriter and executive producer (“The West Wing,” “The Newsroom,” “A Few Good Men”) was in disbelief at the event during a discussion moderated by KCRW host and film critic Elvis Mitchell. Sorkin asserted that Hollywood is a genuine meritocracy and that he was unaware of Hollywood’s existing diversity problem.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7H_L5cYkg8

watch it all

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Aaron Sorkin had some burning questions about the lack of diversity in writers’ rooms — an issue that he apparently didn’t know much about until he visited the Writers Guild Festival on Saturday inside the Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study in Hollywood.

“Are you saying that women and minorities have a more difficult time getting their stuff read than white men and you’re also saying that [white men] get to make mediocre movies and can continue on?” he asked the audience.

The weekend-long festival, hosted in partnership with the Academy Education and Nicholl Fellowships Programs, featured headline panels with screenwriter notables including James Gunn (“Guardians of the Galaxy”) and sneak peek screenings of Starz’s “American Gods” and Fox’s “Shots Fired,” as well as a pitch competition and industry networking opportunities.

Sorkin, Academy-Award winning screenwriter and executive producer (“The West Wing,” “The Newsroom,” “A Few Good Men”) was in disbelief at the event during a discussion moderated by KCRW host and film critic Elvis Mitchell. Sorkin asserted that Hollywood is a genuine meritocracy and that he was unaware of Hollywood’s existing diversity problem.

is this from the onion?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The middle ground between the West wing and house of cards is actually Shin Godzilla.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

my god

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

God drat. There are monkeys in the zoo that jerk themselves off in public less than this guy.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Right now the highest profile black filmmakers (in the US) are Key & Peele. And to get there they had to be stand-ups, work on MadTV in the early 2000s, do some more standup, showrun one of the most popular sketch comedy shows on Comedy Central, and then they got to do big budget Hollywood movies.

Meanwhile Max Landis gets to write several major motion pictures because he's John Landis's son.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

suburban virgin posted:

God drat. There are monkeys in the zoo that jerk themselves off in public less than this guy.

While I like the West Wing, I will never argue that Sorkin is not terminally up his own rear end.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lol yes hollywood is a genuine meritocracy and not completely about knowing the right people and kissing the right asses

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I don't think I could tolerate an Aaron Sorkin show. I tried watching The Newsroom once and it was just a bad Network wannabe with none of Network's foresight or good acting. Just terrible.

mugrim
Mar 2, 2007

The same eye cannot both look up to heaven and down to earth.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lol yes hollywood is a genuine meritocracy and not completely about knowing the right people and kissing the right asses

The fact that over half of all a listers have family in production is entirely unrelated.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Right now there's a West Wing podcast being done by a former cast member and he has had most of the other former cast members guest star on it. Every single time, he asks them how they got cast in The West Wing, and literally every time each cast member has said some variation of "I had worked with Sorkin before on something" or they had otherwise known him or had some other type of connection to get cast. None of them just auditioned without a connection.

There is 0 self awareness with these people.

E: VVV Funnily, Sheen has been the only major cast member not yet to be on the podcast.

WampaLord has issued a correction as of 15:10 on Mar 28, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there's 0 self awareness with sorkin. martin sheen's been pretty clear in interviews that hollywood is incestuous.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I don't think I could tolerate an Aaron Sorkin show. I tried watching The Newsroom once and it was just a bad Network wannabe with none of Network's foresight or good acting. Just terrible.

Yeah Newsroom is smug, self-congratulatory garbage.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah Newsroom is smug, self-congratulatory garbage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-ivBoB5hCw

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The movie "Network" correct?

God that's a great movie.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Right now there's a West Wing podcast being done by a former cast member and he has had most of the other former cast members guest star on it. Every single time, he asks them how they got cast in The West Wing, and literally every time each cast member has said some variation of "I had worked with Sorkin before on something" or they had otherwise known him or had some other type of connection to get cast. None of them just auditioned without a connection.

There is 0 self awareness with these people.

E: VVV Funnily, Sheen has been the only major cast member not yet to be on the podcast.

Donna had one scene on one episode on Sports Night. I liked her but, yeah, he just recycles actors.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

tadashi posted:

Donna had one scene on one episode on Sports Night. I liked her but, yeah, he just recycles actors.

Donna is in the much better politics show Alpha House which I hope trudeu gets off his rear end and makes a third season of!!!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/michaelwhitney/status/846512486345945089

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

have you seen the bench lately? who else could they have asked other than the greatest (fictional) democrat president

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Right now the highest profile black filmmakers (in the US) are Key & Peele. And to get there they had to be stand-ups, work on MadTV in the early 2000s, do some more standup, showrun one of the most popular sketch comedy shows on Comedy Central, and then they got to do big budget Hollywood movies.

Meanwhile Max Landis gets to write several major motion pictures because he's John Landis's son.

No, but, you see, it's a meritocracy...

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

tadashi posted:

Monica Brazelton owns

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
"West Wing" was a fun show for entertainment purposes. If anyone thought that was actually how Washington worked, they were too dumb to watch the show.

Also I've met Brad Whitford and Josh Malina and they're really nice IRL. Boom, beat that.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Majorian posted:

"West Wing" was a fun show for entertainment purposes. If anyone thought that was actually how Washington worked, they were too dumb to watch the show.

Pretty clearly wrong I think. People are informed by what they see, and what they see is television. I suspect an awful lot of bright young things have headed off to Washington with their heads stuffed full of Sorkin. It would explain why the Democrat's messaging sucks so bad. It's just one "Everyone who doesn't agree with me is dumb" Sorkin rant after another out of those guys.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there was a surge in enrollments in criminal forensic programs following the massive success of the hit tv show CSI :eng101:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

ScrubLeague posted:

Season 2 of Cards starts out with a real banger but then quickly devolves into who gives a gently caress

:agreed:

also, how the hell will they top what's happening now, at this point?

i don't envy those writers the massive undertaking of writing a suspenseful political thriller in the age of trump

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

WMain00 posted:

It's fine, it just has a tendency to live in fantasy liberal land a bit too much. The challenges it presents in the show are always swatted away far too easily and it presents too many politicians as being noble and intelligent defenders of the state, as opposed to the reality in which they're spineless slime monsters in it for themselves.

You're choice is between the happy world of The West Wing or the nihilistic everything-is-poo poo world of House of Cards.

Or Veep I suppose.

i'm a house of cards man myself; veep is too quaint, and the west wing is a joke at this point in light of current affairs

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Veep owns house of cards sucks hard

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

paul_soccer10 posted:

Veep owns house of cards sucks hard

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
If there's anyone we can forgive for enjoying a show about a power-hungry, bisexual, amoral, southern U.S politician I think it's Senator Lindsey Graham.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
matt walsh is the greatest living actor today

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

paul_soccer10 posted:

matt walsh is the greatest living actor today

Looking forward to his new book!

https://twitter.com/drsuedvm/status/846795537764548612