Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Satan was the first to demand equal rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

suburban virgin posted:

If there's anyone we can forgive for enjoying a show about a power-hungry, bisexual, amoral, southern U.S politician I think it's Senator Lindsey Graham.

:getin:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Coolguye posted:

there's 0 self awareness with sorkin. martin sheen's been pretty clear in interviews that hollywood is incestuous.

he of all people would know

Majorian posted:

Also I've met Brad Whitford and Josh Malina and they're really nice IRL. Boom, beat that.

i had sex with rob lowe. owned bitch

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

R. Guyovich posted:

he of all people would know

i had sex with rob lowe. owned bitch

was it worth it

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
seems like a lot of celebs end up banging their kid's nannies (Jude law, Schwarzenegger, etc)

I read somewhere that it might have to do with an emotional attraction that men form with whatever woman they see raising their children, but it might just be that there's an epidemic of hot nannies out there

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

seems like a lot of celebs end up banging their kid's nannies (Jude law, Schwarzenegger, etc)

I read somewhere that it might have to do with an emotional attraction that men form with whatever woman they see raising their children, but it might just be that there's an epidemic of hot nannies out there

it's probably both. lots of out of work actresses need income and taking care of stars' kids pays the bills pretty well i'd guess

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
It's not a great mystery. Wife-mother confusion is a common relationship dynamic, in relationships with domineering wives and/or immature husbands, a relationship dynamic in which the wife essentially becomes the mother to both her husband and her children. This is dysfunctional enough on its own, but if you add a nanny to the mix, the dysfunction goes into overdrive. In that scenario, the wife becomes solely the mother of her husband, as the nanny takes care of the kids. This strengthens the wife-mother confusion, particularly when contrasted with the nanny; the de facto mother of his children who, importantly, does not treat the husband as her son. The de facto relationship becomes a husband and wife, living with the husband's mother - is it any wonder then that husband eventually ends up sleeping with his wife?

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not a great mystery. Wife-mother confusion is a common relationship dynamic, in relationships with domineering wives and/or immature husbands, a relationship dynamic in which the wife essentially becomes the mother to both her husband and her children. This is dysfunctional enough on its own, but if you add a nanny to the mix, the dysfunction goes into overdrive. In that scenario, the wife becomes solely the mother of her husband, as the nanny takes care of the kids. This strengthens the wife-mother confusion, particularly when contrasted with the nanny; the de facto mother of his children who, importantly, does not treat the husband as her son. The de facto relationship becomes a husband and wife, living with the husband's mother - is it any wonder then that husband eventually ends up sleeping with his wife?

okay, thanks for clearing that up

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

okay, thanks for clearing that up
No problem.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

:yikes:

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

gently caress you you can't make me

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's not a great mystery. Wife-mother confusion is a common relationship dynamic, in relationships with domineering wives and/or immature husbands, a relationship dynamic in which the wife essentially becomes the mother to both her husband and her children. This is dysfunctional enough on its own, but if you add a nanny to the mix, the dysfunction goes into overdrive. In that scenario, the wife becomes solely the mother of her husband, as the nanny takes care of the kids. This strengthens the wife-mother confusion, particularly when contrasted with the nanny; the de facto mother of his children who, importantly, does not treat the husband as her son. The de facto relqationship becomes a husband and wife, living with the husband's mother - is it any wonder then that husband eventually ends up sleeping with his wife?

Someone call the Chapo boys cos we got some serious sexual pathology getting thrown around here

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I want to write a sorkin scene where somebody talks smugly at trump and then he just says lol no.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Panzeh posted:

I want to write a sorkin scene where somebody talks smugly at trump and then he just says lol no.

that was the entire election

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

R. Guyovich posted:

that was the entire election

:master:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Majorian posted:

"West Wing" was a fun show for entertainment purposes. If anyone thought that was actually how Washington worked, they were too dumb to watch the show.

Also I've met Brad Whitford and Josh Malina and they're really nice IRL. Boom, beat that.

It felt like most of the Democrats' best tricks on the show were inspired by real life Republicans like the time the Dems literally hid from Republicans when Congress was supposed to go to recess so that they could bring just enough bodies to the floor for a quorum to pass a bill. Democrats in real life lack the balls to ever consider such a maneuver.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I watched

West Wing
Veep
Alpha House
House of Cards

And I really think I 'get' Washington.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
lol you can't understand american politics without NGE

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Baloogan posted:

lol you can't understand american politics without NGE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4JXvP-yHbw

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkuLgKZbHlw

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

alternatively, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qH8S9bu6g4

or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaWg298hzro

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXjIy0XQGi4

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
not clickin any of those

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tadashi posted:

It felt like most of the Democrats' best tricks on the show were inspired by real life Republicans like the time the Dems literally hid from Republicans when Congress was supposed to go to recess so that they could bring just enough bodies to the floor for a quorum to pass a bill. Democrats in real life lack the balls to ever consider such a maneuver.

My corrupt state-level dems did basically that to pass a lottery bill.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

suburban virgin posted:

not clickin any of those

god dammit

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Panzeh posted:

you can read the top replies to literally any of Trump's tweets since the inauguration and see half a dozen smug idiots trying to do this

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Some fun reading about how influential this great show has been.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/04/how-liberals-fell-in-love-with-the-west-wing

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

tadashi posted:

I mean, Congress almost got to pick the president. It wasn't that far off. I'd argue they predicted and captured the chaos of the 2016 election perfectly even though, plot-wise, it wasn't any sort of mirror of the election itself.

Also, everyone stabbing everyone in the back during last season is exactly what's going on right now.

Finally, Meyer sitting alone on the bleachers with the Washington Monument in the background trying not to cry was an insanely loaded moment for a show that's just one joke after the next for 5 seasons. Maybe someone who interprets it in a similar way but understands how to explain film better than me can explain how it works better than I could. It's a really good show.

Comedy is just tragedy that happens to someone who for whatever reason really deserves the awful poo poo happening to them according to an external observer (the audience). The idea of it is to be clever enough with the catharsis that its light and silly and leaves open the possibility of recovery. This lightness and wit is what distinguishes season 5 of Veep from say season 5 of Breaking Bad, as the protagonists of both shows reap the consequences of some seriously longass plot arcs. And at the end of the Washington Monument scene in Veep they shift from one tone to the other through no method more complex than just waiting a minute and letting it hang after everyone walks away from her.

Selena Meyer is hopeless after politics, she isn't connected enough to do "consulting" or erudite enough for law or rich/cunning enough for business. She's been clowned out of the Oval Office by Laura Montez--who, since Montez has been denied "first female POTUS", is instead "first hispanic POTUS" despite the fact that aside from skin tone and godawful emphasis on her spoken name she's about as latin as she is sikh--as a catspaw for the absolute worst of the crusty-rear end white dudes, all done through a parliamentary trick that was no more or less legitimate or derived from popular mandate than Selena's own ascension to the executive. The entire object of the season was to get someone as awful as Selena in the same ways as Selena into the white house through utterly undemocratic procedural bullshit. If Tom won, for instance, that'd be a good thing! That'd be a really good note for the show to end on, actually! That's not the objective. The objective is to make you squirm. Selena is an awful faker, but Laura is by virtually every metric worse, and not even possessed of the dignity to act of her own ambition, she's just being used for some guy's benefit in a Congressional beef and glad of it. It shouldn't end like this goddammit, this is wrong! This whole thing is wrong! Th... there's no coming back from this one, is there :(

And as her staff leaves her one by one, physically representing within the scene the awful catty beltway bullshit lifting away from her, she stops being Selena Meyer and just becomes a person with no prospects and the jokes are still the same jokes, but the ultimate subject of them gets just a little bit sympathetic, because when you take away the entourage and the title and the helicopter you just have a really sad lonely and increasingly-old lady sitting alone in an empty park dedicated to a monument for the first president's penis.

(and then in the very very very very final 5 seconds right as you're getting up to piss as the HBO logo comes on.... SAVED!!! Veep: confirmed goodshow)

Willie Tomg has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Apr 17, 2017

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo wasn't tonight New Veep

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

That sums the Bad Dem mindset up very nicely.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
yup

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!
I mean, that's the lesson of the Obama administration, isn't it? The dream that they were tragically denied in reality, but lived in fantasy, was gutting social security.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

quote:

Consider a scene from Season 2’s “The War at Home”, in which Toby Ziegler confronts a rogue Democratic Senator over his objections to Social Security cuts prospectively to be made in collaboration with a Republican Congress. The episode’s protagonist certainly isn’t the latter, who tries to draw a line in the sand over the “compromising of basic Democratic values” and threatens to run a third party presidential campaign, only to be admonished acerbically by Ziegler:

“If you think demonizing people who are trying to govern responsibly is the way to protect our liberal base, then speaking as a liberal…go to bed, would you please?…Come at us from the left, and I’m gonna own your rear end.”

The administration and its staff are invariably depicted as tribunes of the serious and the mature, their ideological malleability taken to signify their virtue more than any fealty to specific liberal principles.
liberals are such loving shitfucks i hate them so much aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

the context of this is really bad because both the clinton and obama administrations tried to cut social security

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

liberals think reaching a bipartisan compromise with republicans to cut social safety nets is the adult and responsible thing to do and if you dont agree you are childish and immature

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol i found that scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1Vt6MyKj0
the antagonist is the person who says we shouldn't cut social security while the protagonist makes condescending statements about his antagonist's immaturity

ugggghhhhh

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

quote:

In one Season 5 plot, the administration opts to install a Ruth Bader Ginsburg clone (Glenn Close) as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. The price it pays—willingly, as it turns out—is giving the other vacancy to an ultra-conservative justice, for the sole reason that Bartlet’s staff find their amiable squabbling stimulating.
lol what the gently caress

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

I'd rather watch the country burn than work with these kind of people to fix anything.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

comedyblissoption posted:

liberals think reaching a bipartisan compromise with republicans to cut social safety nets is the adult and responsible thing to do and if you dont agree you are childish and immature

that reminds me i was fortunate enough to have erskine bowles speak at both my high school and college commencement

pretty sure i was a horse thief or theologian in a former life

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

comedyblissoption posted:

lol what the gently caress

that made me lol b/c scalia and da notorious rbg were like this irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the "great scene" of the series, where bartlet curses out god in latin at the national cathedral and rattles off his accomplishments, is hilarious

he lists a scotus appointment among them, as if the almighty creator gives a poo poo about who's on the federal bench

gently caress that show, it sucked from day one and the sopranos should retroactively be given all the emmys the west wing won

• Locked thread