Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not awful, but it's already very dated just in terms of writing and style. It's the best Sorkin show, but it's still a Sorkin show. I'd rather watch West Wing than the Newsroom, which is unbelievable garbage. West Wing is at least a mostly-competent drama. But frankly, if you want punchy dialogue and character moments, just watch Gilmore Girls instead.

This is good advice.

Gilmore Girls :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

The Kingfish posted:

Because its the stupidest thing I've ever seen or heard. The scene is a a dipshit liberal's melodramatic conception of "telling it like it is" complete with the pathetic Yglesias-style cursing. I just watched it again for the first time in years to make sure I didn't misremember how bad it was and now I need a retard vaccine.

E: "We used to fight wars for moral reasons. . . we waged war on poverty not poor people."

I had a friend who gave me the Newsroom on a usb stick and was all "check it out, you'll love it". I got halfway through that speech before pulling the usb stick out of my computer and stamping it to bits. It's so bad it made me angry. Like, autistic angry. Newsroom gave me autism.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Aaron Sorkin had some burning questions about the lack of diversity in writers’ rooms — an issue that he apparently didn’t know much about until he visited the Writers Guild Festival on Saturday inside the Pickford Center for Motion Picture Study in Hollywood.

“Are you saying that women and minorities have a more difficult time getting their stuff read than white men and you’re also saying that [white men] get to make mediocre movies and can continue on?” he asked the audience.

The weekend-long festival, hosted in partnership with the Academy Education and Nicholl Fellowships Programs, featured headline panels with screenwriter notables including James Gunn (“Guardians of the Galaxy”) and sneak peek screenings of Starz’s “American Gods” and Fox’s “Shots Fired,” as well as a pitch competition and industry networking opportunities.

Sorkin, Academy-Award winning screenwriter and executive producer (“The West Wing,” “The Newsroom,” “A Few Good Men”) was in disbelief at the event during a discussion moderated by KCRW host and film critic Elvis Mitchell. Sorkin asserted that Hollywood is a genuine meritocracy and that he was unaware of Hollywood’s existing diversity problem.

God drat. There are monkeys in the zoo that jerk themselves off in public less than this guy.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Majorian posted:

"West Wing" was a fun show for entertainment purposes. If anyone thought that was actually how Washington worked, they were too dumb to watch the show.

Pretty clearly wrong I think. People are informed by what they see, and what they see is television. I suspect an awful lot of bright young things have headed off to Washington with their heads stuffed full of Sorkin. It would explain why the Democrat's messaging sucks so bad. It's just one "Everyone who doesn't agree with me is dumb" Sorkin rant after another out of those guys.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
If there's anyone we can forgive for enjoying a show about a power-hungry, bisexual, amoral, southern U.S politician I think it's Senator Lindsey Graham.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
not clickin any of those

• Locked thread