Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://youtu.be/dVgK5HKj3P4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the 'accomplishments' bartlet rattles off will never not make me laugh

sure buddy i bet god really gives a poo poo about increased foreign trade and a SCOTUS pick

God loves new jobs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

We did see what could have been. We got the Obama presidency, and it was lame & fixed practically nothing.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

watch Veep imo

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Idk you could do a leftist reading of Parks & Rec even if that wasn't their intention. The whole show is set in a suburban nightmare where substantial politics are all dominated by a greedy candy company, and the best the liberal bureaucracy can do is beautify some public spaces without actually improving the lives of its isolated, borderline schizophrenic residents.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Helsing posted:

I would call that "a" problem, not "the" problem. Quite often the writers' conception of what "the right thing" might be is a little strange.

Like in that episode I mentioned earlier the show's protagonists heroically strike a bargain to cut social security and raise the retirement age, but alas they have to do the noble thing and allow some senators to take credit for their amazing accomplishment. In the minds of the writers this is an incredible act of civic virtue.

The Bartlett administration was literally Obama lmao

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

the first 3 seasons had the white house gang reacting to actual clinton scandals in the way that aaron sorkin thought they should have been addressed, like bartlet was literally given the line "the era of big government is over" for his state of the union and the episode is sorkin smugly dunking on the dingus who put that line into clinton's speech

Pretty savage own against Clinton.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A baby ate my dingo posted:

The best part about re-watching The West Wing is how there's episode plots involving universal healthcare, minimum wage, college fees and various other things that are still problems nearly 20 years later.

20 years later the Democrats are going to argue that all of those things are never ever gonna happen, and that's why we have to nominate Hillary Clinton.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Pierson posted:

More like from West Wing to The Thick Of It.

Iannucci is the greatest political satirist of our time.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Helsing posted:

Veep is a great sitcom but you can tell that Iannucci keeps developing more and more outlandish political situations to try and contort the Presidency / Vice Presidency into resembling the British system. The plot arc of season 5 in particular would make perfect sense in a parliamentary system but is completely implausible as a plot line for the American executive branch.

None of which stops it from being one of the best shows on the air right now, even if it's seems weirdly dated and quaint in the age of Trump.

The first thing he said after Trump was elected is that he has to go back to writing, so the new season will be a Trump's America zone.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Helsing posted:

Apparently his next project is going to be a comedy film about the death of Stalin, which sounds C-SPAM as gently caress.

Stalin trained his guards not to enter his apartment even if they thought something was wrong, and he would troll them to figure out which ones would defy the order. So when he had a stroke nobody went in and he died, so that's pretty goddamn funny off the bat.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Stephanie Meyer is an awful person, so I felt Schadenfreude.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

cmon, twilight's not that bad

*Selena :sweatdrop:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

my god

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Right now the highest profile black filmmakers (in the US) are Key & Peele. And to get there they had to be stand-ups, work on MadTV in the early 2000s, do some more standup, showrun one of the most popular sketch comedy shows on Comedy Central, and then they got to do big budget Hollywood movies.

Meanwhile Max Landis gets to write several major motion pictures because he's John Landis's son.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

https://twitter.com/michaelwhitney/status/846512486345945089

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

paul_soccer10 posted:

Veep owns house of cards sucks hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Satan was the first to demand equal rights.

• Locked thread