Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The problem with the West Wing is that it assumes most people are generally motivated to do the right or ethical thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Helsing posted:

Veep is a great sitcom but you can tell that Iannucci keeps developing more and more outlandish political situations to try and contort the Presidency / Vice Presidency into resembling the British system. The plot arc of season 5 in particular would make perfect sense in a parliamentary system but is completely implausible as a plot line for the American executive branch.

None of which stops it from being one of the best shows on the air right now, even if it's seems weirdly dated and quaint in the age of Trump.

I mean, Congress almost got to pick the president. It wasn't that far off. I'd argue they predicted and captured the chaos of the 2016 election perfectly even though, plot-wise, it wasn't any sort of mirror of the election itself.

Also, everyone stabbing everyone in the back during last season is exactly what's going on right now.

Finally, Meyer sitting alone on the bleachers with the Washington Monument in the background trying not to cry was an insanely loaded moment for a show that's just one joke after the next for 5 seasons. Maybe someone who interprets it in a similar way but understands how to explain film better than me can explain how it works better than I could. It's a really good show.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

WampaLord posted:

Right now there's a West Wing podcast being done by a former cast member and he has had most of the other former cast members guest star on it. Every single time, he asks them how they got cast in The West Wing, and literally every time each cast member has said some variation of "I had worked with Sorkin before on something" or they had otherwise known him or had some other type of connection to get cast. None of them just auditioned without a connection.

There is 0 self awareness with these people.

E: VVV Funnily, Sheen has been the only major cast member not yet to be on the podcast.

Donna had one scene on one episode on Sports Night. I liked her but, yeah, he just recycles actors.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Majorian posted:

"West Wing" was a fun show for entertainment purposes. If anyone thought that was actually how Washington worked, they were too dumb to watch the show.

Also I've met Brad Whitford and Josh Malina and they're really nice IRL. Boom, beat that.

It felt like most of the Democrats' best tricks on the show were inspired by real life Republicans like the time the Dems literally hid from Republicans when Congress was supposed to go to recess so that they could bring just enough bodies to the floor for a quorum to pass a bill. Democrats in real life lack the balls to ever consider such a maneuver.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Whorelord posted:

have we talked about how alan alda somehow became republican nominee despite being an atheist

The only question is why wouldn't someone want to vote for Alan Alda?

Honestly, I think the GOP would fawn over him because he's exactly the kind of rear end in a top hat daddy they love.

• Locked thread