Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I remember the feeling of meeting a guy and buying a mandrake linux cd off him.. installing it..

I rememeber that feeling .. "this is the future. this is what I am"

I remember that feeling when ubuntu first came out and they'd send cds in the mail

I remember that feeling when I first learned about freebsd and installed it on my pc

I also remember the feeling when someone other than me tried to use it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
pity bump

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its the best I could hope for

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I used Linux on my daily driver for a good while op

I got bored w/ it eventually

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i used it on my laptop and then i got a new laptop. i should put it on this one though. i'll have to remember what media player i used and maybe change things up because nothing tops foobar 2000

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i use a mac for my laptop op and my desktop is a windows

i used to be young and idealistic and run linux/anroid on everything but now i am an adult and i want things to just work

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

hifi posted:

i used it on my laptop and then i got a new laptop. i should put it on this one though. i'll have to remember what media player i used and maybe change things up because nothing tops foobar 2000

I cared a lot about gapless playback. a LOt. I bought CDs and ripped them to .ogg, and used musicpd for playback

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

all of the mpd clients look like poo poo for people who post their desktops on 4chan. if you have a recommendation ill look at it though

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

just use the command line client

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

:chloe:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

ah yeah man, i was there. i was part of that. history happening because of me

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think i had suse disks. i didn't know poo poo about linux until like 2008 though and nobody around to teach me

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
every six months or so apple changes something and i think this is it, I'm fedd up with this poo poo, time to install linux and experience an operating system that i can tailor to my exact needs and every time it last for about 12 hours before i reinstall OS X

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i wish they'd change the part of the OS that can't bring the system out of sleep

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I ran Linux on my desktop for a few years. it was bad and I always needed to janitor it. then I got a Mac and it is a good desktop and a Unix system. I don't have to deal with Linux and its awful community that thinks every other update breaking your graphics drivers is acceptable and editing conf files is something people should be doing on a desktop machine.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The Management posted:

I ran Linux on my desktop for a few years. it was bad and I always needed to janitor it. then I got a Mac and it is a good desktop and a Unix system. I don't have to deal with Linux and its awful community that thinks every other update breaking your graphics drivers is acceptable and editing conf files is something people should be doing on a desktop machine.

fedora is good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

hifi posted:

fedora is good

get a load of this guy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
don't want that guys load

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

fedora is good

the new fedora server installs and enables, by default, some weird webui management thing that can execute shell commands as root

it's a Piece Of poo poo

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
its a bit ironic that linux ended up powering just about everything other than desktops

counterpoint is just about everything tiny is powered by busybox or uclinux or maybe not a linux like qnx

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i thought ubuntu or linux mint was supposed to make this easy to do now???

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I enjoy making Yorkshire puddings from scratch

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

I enjoy making Yorkshire puddings from scratch

:cheers:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

hifi posted:

all of the mpd clients look like poo poo for people who post their desktops on 4chan. if you have a recommendation ill look at it though

My mpd client looks good because I made it myself using Mac's UI framework.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I remember buying a set of RedHat CDs, installing it over my broken Windows 98 and typing "help" at the shell prompt.

Then going "wtf is this poo poo", getting nowhere and eventually installing BeOS 4.5

I was a pretty happy BeOS user until the company went bankrupt trying to sell internet appliances

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that is a hilariously useless sequence of characters right there

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

on linux fulltime atm, since my laptop got itself corrupted on a flight and i had to install fedora on it to at least have something (and work has always been linux)

not too painful. mostly that fedora 25 has actually played out very nicely. it is lovely to see that x11 may finally be dead, that horrendous piece of poo poo

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

linux on the laptop, windows on the desktop

girlfriend uses a mac and she has commented she feels she'd be able to use linux better than windows just because it's kind of similar to mac

whats another OS i can throw into the mix?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Apocadall posted:

it takes dedication to do things this wrong.

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
i got one of those ubuntu discs in the mail and never installed it

a few years later i was 'gifted' a well past its prime emac and din't know what to do with it so i tried installing yellow dog (?) linux on it and it was a poo poo show so i wiped it and donated it to someone else

now every now and then i think about using linux but then i remember i'm already using the best unix there is, macOS™

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Apocadall posted:

girlfriend uses a mac and she has commented she feels she'd be able to use linux better than windows just because it's kind of similar to mac

whats another OS i can throw into the mix?

templeos is good op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
which of the x desktop environments are we pretending are good nowadays?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lxde, because it doesn't have any of the poorly coded graphical compositing effects that have to run on a unqualified open-source graphics card driver so they look like poop and barely make ten frames per second

if you have a desktop Linux and it doesn't look like the radiotelescope monitors in Contact, smdh

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
so a non-gpu composited desktop because Linux drivers are bad? lol.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i installed slackware 10 whenever that came out. i used it for fifteen minutes, then concluded (correctly) that linux was absolute dogshit

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Whole lotta self ownage itt

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
everytime i tried desktop linux i got to the point where i had to install wine to use some program that had no linux analog and realized i was just making a cheap windows knockoff so i just went back to the real thing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

osx

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

gnome on wayland is your best bet, demanding x is setting yourself up for failure up front

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

gnome on wayland is your best bet, demanding x is setting yourself up for failure up front

sorry, I didn't mean to imply I wanted xwindows, I just want to know what the new hotness is

• Locked thread