Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

b h m posted:

WELL IM GOING TO SPEND THE REST OF MY LIFE EDITING, UPDATING AND FIXING THIS lovely LINUX BOX

MIGHT AS WELL MASTER THE COMMAND LINE EDITORS WHILE IM HERE, IN HELL, WHERE I APPARENTLY LIVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao remember when xgl and the other desktop compositing stuff came around and the hot poo poo was putting all your virtual desktops on a cube and having every closed window burn up over ~2s

that was great

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFqj2hS_0iQ

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

burning swine
May 26, 2004

linux is fine

burning swine
May 26, 2004

guys it is FINE

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

looks like a pretty solid windows clone 2 me

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

giving me those epic winning at solitaire feels.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

vodkat posted:

genuinely upset that you haven't upgraded with the ubuntu 'feisty fawn' cd i sent you several yosmas's ago

i actually used it to put ubuntu on a laptop i had
i then dist-upgrade'd it into oblivion

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Ran gentoo as my daily for... like 3 years. Got tired of doing an upgrade and some random crap breaking and having to boot from a cd to fix it.

Went over to ubuntu 08.something and that was reasonable till they slapped a tablet ui on it, and I had been irritated that wireless rarely worked and broke again every update... sooo....

Tried redhat enterprise desktop which got me "support" from company IT but bleh. Wireless at least worked reliably, but resume from sleep still never worked. toggling the external display to run a projector and do a presentation still required a cracky utility that took 20 minutes of fiddling to get the right resolutions on both displays.

Now I have a macbook air. It's like a toaster, it just works. Yaaaaaay.

Ed: s/2p/20/

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
i was one of the 3 people who liked unity desktop except i bought a mac afterward & put the dock on the left

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Phoenixan posted:

i was one of the 3 people who liked unity desktop except i bought a mac afterward & put the dock on the left

UNity is deece but GNOME 3 is the best desktop of all computers... so... thats better.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
this was 2012 or so before gnome 3 was actually even usable

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I put the dock/taskbar on the right. I don't know why. I just do

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

girlfriends hdd cable in her 2012 macbook pro has died for the 2nd time, having a replacement cable overnighted but she has a presentation she has to do for tomorrow, so she's using my linux laptop with libreoffice lol

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Apocadall posted:

girlfriends hdd cable in her 2012 macbook pro has died for the 2nd time, having a replacement cable overnighted but she has a presentation she has to do for tomorrow, so she's using my linux laptop with libreoffice lol

pre-emptive "enjoy being single"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

linux should only be used via ssh

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate i would wouldn't gently caress linux with your dick

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

Silver Alicorn posted:

I put the dock/taskbar on the right. I don't know why. I just do

hell, same

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

mishaq posted:

linux should only be used via ssh

linux should never be looked at

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

med school head posted:

linux should never be

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

my goth gf posted:

anyone who uses riced out desktops is a loving retard

ratpoison for the motherbitching win
Why the gently caress don't you use twm, bsd-boy?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gazpacho posted:

Why the gently caress don't you use twm, bsd-boy?

i have a freebsd desktop at work that runs weechat in a urxvt window and also has some terminals, that's it

it's using ratpoison which is very needs-fitting because i don't need a mouse

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

what do you mean you dont use a mouse with weechat

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
days is the operative word here, lol

hell you could have measured it in hours

also didn't read a single post itt

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

oh no blimp issue posted:

i actually used it to put ubuntu on a laptop i had
i then dist-upgrade'd it into oblivion

nice!

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

what do you mean you dont use a mouse with weechat

alt+number key to change channel/query windows

shift+arrow key to change tabs in urxvt

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
at work they gave me a 27" late 2013 imac (3.5GHz i7) and i immediately wiped its disk and put kubuntu on it

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Lysidas posted:

at work they gave me a 27" late 2013 imac (3.5GHz i7) and i immediately wiped its disk and put kubuntu on it

youre a monster

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i thought i knew what pure evil looks like

Lysidas posted:

turns out i didn't know poo poo

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
If god (Microsoft) wanted the task bar somewhere else he would have put it there

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Wait a minute this isnt the task bar thread what's going on

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

Wait a minute this isnt the task bar thread what's going on

you can't talk linux without bringing up weird unconventional taskbar/dock placement.

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

Lysidas posted:

lmao look at this dipshit

Tres
Jun 21, 2003

Richard Stallman AKA St. iGNUcius-sama <3
Grimey Drawer
linux is real bad, but there was that brief period in 2000 when win2k wasn't really out yet, os x wasn't a thing, and the desktop environments were kind of maturing where it actually looked attractive.

can't really think of why anyone would run linux on the desktop now though tbh. i ran gentoo exclusively from about 2003 - 2005 then i quit IT, bought a mac and never looked back.

also: anyone else remember how god awful linux font rendering was up until about 2004, and how broken copy paste was :allears:

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
http://www.starlig.ht/about/

Swan is a Linux-like graphical desktop for 64 bit Microsoft Windows based on Cygwin

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Lysidas posted:

lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKSu5tx9xIg

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Tres posted:

linux is real bad, but there was that brief period in 2000 when win2k wasn't really out yet, os x wasn't a thing, and the desktop environments were kind of maturing where it actually looked attractive.

can't really think of why anyone would run linux on the desktop now though tbh. i ran gentoo exclusively from about 2003 - 2005 then i quit IT, bought a mac and never looked back.

also: anyone else remember how god awful linux font rendering was up until about 2004, and how broken copy paste was :allears:

microsoft has no qa. in 2017 the Linux Experience is at least on par if not better than windows (hosed up but true)

linux can look good. it is a no stakes environment to gently caress around with ui/ux. granted there is a lot of stupid ricing but to do anything similar in osx or windows requires at times ridiculous workarounds.

also what is all of this unironic gentoo use itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i have fewer hidpi issues on fedora than on windows nowadays, for one thing.

• Locked thread