Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's an American guy who defected to the North all the way back in the Korean War, and they've used him as a propaganda mouthpiece ever since. Gave him a wife, a decent apartment, and all the amenities. He even denies that the famine happened during the 90s, probably because they shielded him from it.

he seems like a nice guy, better than some posters itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yes. The new policy is that defectors get some money and featured on North Korean television. They've also extended this to double-defectors, which is why lately there's been a few people who have gone back to the North.

There's an American guy who defected to the North all the way back in the Korean War, and they've used him as a propaganda mouthpiece ever since. Gave him a wife, a decent apartment, and all the amenities. He even denies that the famine happened during the 90s, probably because they shielded him from it.

this is making me think

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

jarofpiss posted:

he seems like a nice guy, better than some posters itt

there was actually a bit about his son on some TV channel (BBC?) a while ago

imagine korean features but with blond hair and blue eyes

the biggest anime

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Lmao if you think North Korea has any goal other than indefinitely sustaining the regime

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

According to the direct quote that's the North Korean assumption, that the inherent superiority of Juche Thought will conquer the hearts and minds of the South and wipe it from the map under communist direction.

The South Korean Left wants reconciliation with the North, and an end to chaebol rule.

What is the situation with the left in SK? From my very limited understanding of SK politics it definitely seems like a very heavily right-wing country between the now-impeached Park leading a very strongly authoritarian government, and the amount of influence the chaebols wield. Also, I didn't think there was actually any support for reunification in SK... it seems like any families split up by the war would have very few surviving kin remaining on the other side of the border, and the economic burden of helping NK recover would be tremendous.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Ace of Baes posted:

love 2 support fascist military dictatorships that starve their population while generals live like kings
What my post presupposes is... maybe they don't?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Heaven Spacey posted:

What is the situation with the left in SK? From my very limited understanding of SK politics it definitely seems like a very heavily right-wing country between the now-impeached Park leading a very strongly authoritarian government, and the amount of influence the chaebols wield. Also, I didn't think there was actually any support for reunification in SK... it seems like any families split up by the war would have very few surviving kin remaining on the other side of the border, and the economic burden of helping NK recover would be tremendous.

Reconciliation doesn't necessarily mean reunification. There's also been a strong left wing current in the south compared to areas closer to the border, which have been suppressed before with American assistance, either by supporting a junta, installing a puppet or direct suppression.

It's American and corporate interests that tip the balance in favor of right wing politics. The Park administration is a major fuckup, so who knows how the next election will turn out.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Fast Luck posted:

What my post presupposes is... maybe they don't?

If we're talking old school kings, well, those guys lived pretty bad compared to contemporary kings or even a guy in a trailer park. No salt, drafty rear end castle, no Netflix, smells. I mean, no.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it can be possible that the DPRK is bad and that much of the US propaganda about them is false. I mean, I know this never happened before in American history, especially not around 2003, so it's worth keeping in mind. y'know, just as a possibility.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Lmao if you think North Korea has any goal other than indefinitely sustaining the regime

Their goal is to not let us install a puppet dictator in Korea like we did in the fifties. The fact that their leader is already a dictator is nonwithstanding because they've been a pariah state due to our constant meddling in Korean affairs ever since WWII and the Kims have stopped the country from being invaded since the war ended. That is NK's viewpoint. They would not greet us as liberators.

Also lol at Hamprince selective memorying the "axis of evil" poo poo we did right after invading Iraq. Great historical materialism dumbass

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

My favorite (possibly apocryphal) story about him is that he ruined a class of spies because the NK government used him to teach them English and he imparted his thick southern drawl to all of them, essentially ruining their ability to blend in.

Also, he apparently was in a bunch of films and was the go-to guy when they needed someone to play a Buck Turgidson-like American general.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Azathoth posted:

My favorite (possibly apocryphal) story about him is that he ruined a class of spies because the NK government used him to teach them English and he imparted his thick southern drawl to all of them, essentially ruining their ability to blend in.

Also, he apparently was in a bunch of films and was the go-to guy when they needed someone to play a Buck Turgidson-like American general.

Can't say he wouldn't know what they're like lmao.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fiction posted:

Their goal is to not let us install a puppet dictator in Korea like we did in the fifties. The fact that their leader is already a dictator is nonwithstanding because they've been a pariah state due to our constant meddling in Korean affairs ever since WWII and the Kims have stopped the country from being invaded since the war ended. That is NK's viewpoint. They would not greet us as liberators.

Also lol at Hamprince selective memorying the "axis of evil" poo poo we did right after invading Iraq. Great historical materialism dumbass

North Korea is objectively pretty evil though

they mass produce meth, their leaders have pretty girls they see on TV kidnapped so they can rape them, and you and your family can be tortured to death for not saluting a picture of a fat midget

also people starve in that country so often that the populace in general is around a foot shorter than all of their neighbours

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

im a first world tankie who knows jack poo poo about korea, now lemme tell you why everything north korean defectors say are actually just evil western propaganda

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I can't believe people think the Gulf War was bad while Iraqi soldiers were throwing Kuwaiti babies out of incubators.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I can't believe people think the Gulf War was bad while Iraqi soldiers were throwing Kuwaiti babies out of incubators.

does it ever get tired, carrying the water for every horrifying regime on the planet? I'm beginning to think you're not a very good person

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Reconciliation doesn't necessarily mean reunification. There's also been a strong left wing current in the south compared to areas closer to the border, which have been suppressed before with American assistance, either by supporting a junta, installing a puppet or direct suppression.

It's American and corporate interests that tip the balance in favor of right wing politics. The Park administration is a major fuckup, so who knows how the next election will turn out.

SK pursued a pro-reconciliation 'sunshine policy' with the north during much of the 2000s and it went absolutely nowhere because the drpk leadership does not want reconciliation

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

gobbagool posted:

does it ever get tired, carrying the water for every horrifying regime on the planet? I'm beginning to think you're not a very good person

Does it ever get tiring going to war on false pretenses? You all never fight in them, so I guess not.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

SK pursued a pro-reconciliation 'sunshine policy' with the north during much of the 2000s and it went absolutely nowhere because the drpk leadership does not want reconciliation

There isn't room for reconciliation while the United States still occupies the South.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Does it ever get tiring going to war on false pretenses? You all never fight in them, so I guess not.

There isn't room for reconciliation while the United States still occupies the South.

deep poo poo jaden

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

pretty hard to go to war on the 'false pretence' that north korea has nukes

quote:

reconciliation step 1: make it way easier for us to beat u in a war

also somebody should tell germany that they're under US 'occupation', i bet they'd be pretty mad if they found out

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

pretty hard to go to war on the 'false pretence' that north korea has nukes

Sure, that's not false it's just retarded.

quote:

reconciliation step 1: make it way easier for us to beat u in a war

The ROK army is superior to the North's by every metric. They've even got those remote-controlled machineguns the Israelis developed to murder Palestinians.

quote:

also somebody should tell germany that they're under US 'occupation', i bet they'd be pretty mad if they found out

Germany is still occupied by the United States. Do you think that US forces being deployed to Korea hasn't created any problems?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhnARlO1qhE
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangju_highway_incident

Pener Kropoopkin has issued a correction as of 20:46 on Mar 24, 2017

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Germany is still occupied by the United States. Do you think that US forces being deployed to Korea hasn't created any problems?

agreed, its really tragic how american imperialism is preventing the peaceful reunification of germany

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Yeah, reconciliation necessarily has, at some point in the process, increased travel between the two, and it's hard to see a way that that doesn't turn into a refugee crisis, an internal revolt, or both, with a disordered collapse of the government happening along the way.

The population of the North knows, by and large, that things are better in the South (and the rest of the world), so the government has sold the public on the reason that it's worse for them being that America and it's puppet, the South, are holding them down.

It's hard to see how they could walk that back in a way that doesn't result in the house of cards collapsing.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

agreed, its really tragic how american imperialism is preventing the peaceful reunification of germany

It's cool how normal it is now to just occupy foreign countries long after even nominal reasons no longer apply.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's cool how normal it is now to just occupy foreign countries long after even nominal reasons no longer apply.

.....you do realize where the word tankie comes from right?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

would you consider east germany to have been under military occupation by the soviet union during the cold war?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Azathoth posted:

Yeah, reconciliation necessarily has, at some point in the process, increased travel between the two, and it's hard to see a way that that doesn't turn into a refugee crisis, an internal revolt, or both, with a disordered collapse of the government happening along the way.

The population of the North knows, by and large, that things are better in the South (and the rest of the world), so the government has sold the public on the reason that it's worse for them being that America and it's puppet, the South, are holding them down.

It's hard to see how they could walk that back in a way that doesn't result in the house of cards collapsing.

And we have 5 star idiots in the west like pener parroting whatever Kim and his ilk say. He's a literal tankie.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Bro Dad posted:

.....you do realize where the word tankie comes from right?

So what, it's only wrong to occupy a foreign country if the Soviets do it?

Do you know what the phrase jack off means?

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
hmm lets see according to tankies, north korea is very nice and good and we are all fed lies about it all the time

they also think venezuela is awesome

and that stalin did nothing wrong and everything about him was just western lies

tankies are adorable

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

soviet heavy tank being used to break up a workers strike, a totally normal part of stationing troops in a foreign country that i'm sure happens all the time in south korea

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Fallen Hamprince posted:

would you consider east germany to have been under military occupation by the soviet union during the cold war?

No you see because {long winded explanation of how the soviets were more organic and the proletariat DEMANDED soviet intervention because of the capitalists and their monocles and big cigars ffaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart}

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

This whole line of argumentation doesn't even make sense, because the Soviets DID quit occupying Eastern Europe. They wouldn't even force the SRs to stay while they all declared independence one by one.

But it's cool to still have the American military deployed to Germany because...?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Fallen Hamprince posted:

soviet heavy tank being used to break up a workers strike, a totally normal part of stationing troops in a foreign country that i'm sure happens all the time in south korea

this is where pener says ,"if the hungarians didn't want to be raped by the soviets, maybe they shouldn't have dressed so provocatively"

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

North Korea is objectively pretty evil though

they mass produce meth, their leaders have pretty girls they see on TV kidnapped so they can rape them, and you and your family can be tortured to death for not saluting a picture of a fat midget

also people starve in that country so often that the populace in general is around a foot shorter than all of their neighbours

sounds like they're exactly the same as us just shorter (and without advertisements on every surface imaginable)

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This whole line of argumentation doesn't even make sense, because the Soviets DID quit occupying Eastern Europe. They wouldn't even force the SRs to stay while they all declared independence one by one.

But it's cool to still have the American military deployed to Germany because...?

hey poops here's a fun little 'where's waldo' type game for u: count the number of american tanks being used to supress this anti-government demonstration in seol

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

jarofpiss posted:

sounds like they're exactly the same as us just shorter (and without advertisements on every surface imaginable)

oh hey look one of peners fellow travellers/edgy internet anime marxists comes to white knight another lovely regime. do you at least get points on your panera card like you did for 'correcting the record'? Or perhaps vouchers for glorious North Korean vacations where you get your own 12 year olds to rape?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

gobbagool posted:

oh hey look one of peners fellow travellers/edgy internet anime marxists comes to white knight another lovely regime. do you at least get points on your panera card like you did for 'correcting the record'? Or perhaps vouchers for glorious North Korean vacations where you get your own 12 year olds to rape?

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

anime is counterrevolutionary and i'll have no part of it btw

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

This whole line of argumentation doesn't even make sense, because the Soviets DID quit occupying Eastern Europe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transnistria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

ouch, you sure showed me. anyhoo, here's the people living under the regime you're defending

• Locked thread