Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Is that why you think it's ok for the US to starve children?

We send north korear food all the time as tribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The notion that a militarized garrison state like North Korea will somehow collapse if we cut off the flow of food to it is insane. They're just going to keep rationing subsistence calories to the masses, and those masses are never going to rise up and overthrow their government or do anything of the sort because they're probably too malnourished to even lift a rifle. It's punishing a whole people for the actions of a government which we claim is tyrannical, which is by definition a collective punishment. Doing this only reinforces their siege mentality and gives the North Korean government a claim to legitimacy in resisting the American imperialists. That's part of why they call the 90s famine the "arduous march." Their entire culture is militarized.

So you're saying it's time for a "regime change"? :yeah:

I was in the invasion of Iraq in 03 and it was pretty boss.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

resar posted:

How did regime change in Iraq turn out?

Looks like it sucks. Not my problem though. Got a medal. :thumbsup:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If there's ever going to be a regime change it needs to be a domestic process, because illegitimate means will either reinforce the power of the Juche state, or you invade the country and get over a million people killed, which ultimately defeats the purpose.

When the people are no longer hungry, then they can start thinking about a life beyond Juche. The global community should be sending as much food as it can, not allow the United States to continue tightening the noose.

You act as though an invasion would be about the people of north korea and not because they're doubling the number of nukes they have and are increasing the range of their missile capability yearly.

Heck, an invasion might not even involve the U.S. if they piss off/scare China/Russia/Japan enough.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

resar posted:

Why would Russia and China care about NK having nukes? China uses NK as a buffer because they don't want an American ally on their border and Russia loves that NK periodically riles up the US drawing their focus from whatever Russia is doing that week.

I don't think it's all roses between north korea and china. China got right on board with U.N. sanctions and I'm pretty sure they don't like the north koreans kidnapping their people and ransoming them back.

Russia also supported those sanctions against north korea.

So I wouldn't be going as far as saying russia and china don't care about north korea's nukes.

Man Musk posted:

DPRK withdrew from the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty so totes legal imo

Good point.

• Locked thread