Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Spent a good while trying to get into a lobby with a friend (or a lobby at all) on PC. Couldn't join at all or even SEE any lobbies half the time. Guess it's off to PS4 for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

My favorite part of MonHun is how slow and awkward/heavy the weapons are to use, even the "faster" ones, so you just sort of slowly climb towards competence as you use them. Is this similar? The weapons look sort of light in the preview videos, even the club.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Bussamove posted:

Spent a good while trying to get into a lobby with a friend (or a lobby at all) on PC. Couldn't join at all or even SEE any lobbies half the time. Guess it's off to PS4 for me!

Were you both set to the same server settings?

Trick Question posted:

My favorite part of MonHun is how slow and awkward/heavy the weapons are to use, even the "faster" ones, so you just sort of slowly climb towards competence as you use them. Is this similar? The weapons look sort of light in the preview videos, even the club.

Absolutely not, the entire premise is that weapons aren't their own functional obstacle.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trick Question posted:

Nope, combat is super fast and speedy which is why I prefer this to MonHun

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Emalde posted:

Were you both set to the same server settings?

Apparently that was it! Whatever, he already refunded it and we always play these hunting games together so I can deal with PS4. :v: But thanks anyway!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Bussamove posted:

Apparently that was it! Whatever, he already refunded it and we always play these hunting games together so I can deal with PS4. :v: But thanks anyway!

This exact same thing is present in the PS4 version, so watch out for it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is it true that you can get 60fps locked on a PS4 Pro? Might just do that if the port has a lot of issues.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Should I buy this or Nier: Automata?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Do you want to play something multiplayer?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

If you have a PS4 they both have demos.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Only PC, both look good to me. Liked Dragon's Dogma a lot, and this looks real good, but thought I might try something completely different. I'll flip a coin.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wonder if there will ever be another monster hunter-esq game with music as good as Soul Sacrifice again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAx2K16n7xw

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vakal posted:

I wonder if there will ever be another monster hunter-esq game with music as good as Soul Sacrifice again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAx2K16n7xw

Yeah God Eater

Malachite
Mar 2, 2004
I had a great time with kiwami and am looking forward to picking up Toukiden 2. Even though I love playing monster hunter, I have some gripes about the series that will probably never be addressed. Toukiden actually dealt with those complaints which definitely helped my perception of the game.

My only real complaint about kiwami was that mitama were build defining, but you had to level them up without actually knowing what you were getting into. The abilities they gained were hidden until you obtained them and the most important bonus usually wasn't revealed until you maxed it out. Is that still a thing in Toukiden 2? Or can you at least see what you'll receive before leveling them up?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah God Eater

God Eater has some hosed up poo poo and I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPF62zTK6Qs

Malachite posted:

The abilities they gained were hidden until you obtained them and the most important bonus usually wasn't revealed until you maxed it out. Is that still a thing in Toukiden 2? Or can you at least see what you'll receive before leveling them up?

Emalde fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 21, 2017

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They also fixed it at the end of Kiwami by allowing you to reassign boosts at will once you maxed out their level. They just started with that in 2.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Emalde posted:

God Eater has some hosed up poo poo and I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPF62zTK6Qs

Call me a filthy weeb with terrible taste with music but to me original GE flavor No Way Back is my favorite song in any hunting genre game, and is actually pretty high up in my overall faves. (Out of my Way version is also quite good, of course.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ldFN0nb464

The entire soundtrack from both games is really drat good in general. Lots of memorable tracks, and of course you can never forget I WILL WIN

In actual Toukiden news, I got the game and man this new Control Mitama type seems incredibly good? Dunno if it's quite good enough to pull me away from my love of GAMBLING but it's real nice. Of the two new weapons it definitely feels like Charge Bl- sorry, sword and shield got quite a lot of love. I really like the big pilebunker finisher, but I have a lot of trouble landing the full 4 different hits combo from guard form in any kind of real fight. Any tips, or should I just settle for the weaker version unless I'm slamming something that's stunned?

Also the AI seems obnoxiously good in this game, to the point where I'm actually seriously considering only taking one, maybe two AIs at a time tops so things aren't entirely trivial.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Had issues with crashes through the tutorial but I think just putting every setting to low or off and 30 fps while windowed got me through it

Game is fun but i have NO idea what these stats on my weapon or armor does

+3 dexterity on my whip?

Green Icon + on my armor?

I can't find any in game manual that explains it well either right now

other than that I am loving the monster hunter vibe i'm getting

Edit: A couple of things, the information IS hidden in the sub menus but they are a pain to find. So Aegis, I found, is the stat that dictates how much red bar you recover, or how fast it recovers

Dexterity is your crit chance on a weapon which i guess is a flat percentage of extra damage that can be altered by your mitana

I've been having mega crashes all through the first phase, but so far i think i found a stable setting for my gtx 780.

FPS: 60 everything in middle, and the extra stuff set to off while in full screen mode.

it also doesnt like when i have ANYTHING up on my second screen.

Amazing Member fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 22, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
My favorite feature are microphones not being muted in multiplayer and are default stuck on.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nier Automata might be right up there with Witcher 3 as contender for game of the decade but I loving love Toukiden and when this game showed up on steam I straight up jumped in. Knowing full well what I do about how bad KT ports are.

Also, right off the bat I'm digging the music, it's just my style.

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I like how having three Mitama slots really opens up a lot of insane combinations even super early on. There is a lot you can do with 9 skills!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'll probably get this eventually but I really wish they had released it a few months from now. I will say I kind of burned out on Kiwami since it felt like once you got to the Kiwami content everything became a massive damage sponge.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Moon Monster posted:

I'll probably get this eventually but I really wish they had released it a few months from now. I will say I kind of burned out on Kiwami since it felt like once you got to the Kiwami content everything became a massive damage sponge.

Good news, since this game doesn't have a G-version yet the game ends right before the "Kiwami" content would begin! For better or for worse!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

So I played the demo version of this on PS4 for a little while to see if I would like it, and the combat was fun enough but the campaign was very, very talky, much more than I was expecting. Is the rest of the game like that or does it open up? Or should I just immediately go online and forget the SP?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Regarding the PC port, I played about an hour last night and didn't encounter any issues for what it's worth.

Also maybe it's just me and not having played the first one in a while, but this game actually kinda looks a bit worse graphically than Kiwami.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I got this on PC and haven't had any real performance issues, but.. it doesn't seem to support 2560x1440 resolution. I have to run it in windowed mode at 1920x1080.

Combat feels really spammy and not very tactical, but I've only just completed the mission where you first enter the place filled with miasma, so can I safely assume the game gets more demanding further in?
I've been playing with the Naginata mostly so far, so that probably also has something to do with it.

I do like how streamlined mission prep is, and the connected zone concept is cool.

I favored mostly Greatsword and Switch Axe in the recent Monster Hunter games. From a brief perusal of the weapons on offer here, it seems like the Club and Spear are somewhat analogous to the Greatsword?
I tend to like weapons with a bit of range and big meaningful hits.

Overall I'm enjoying the game so far, and looking forward to playing more.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

exquisite tea posted:

So I played the demo version of this on PS4 for a little while to see if I would like it, and the combat was fun enough but the campaign was very, very talky, much more than I was expecting. Is the rest of the game like that or does it open up? Or should I just immediately go online and forget the SP?

It will continue to be very talky to the end and I love it. You can jump on MP and forget all about it pretty early on, though you might want to stick with it till a bit in chapter 2 when you unlock most of the town functions.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The difficulty remains spam-like if you bring a full party because your AI party members are incredibly overcompetent and make everything a lot easier. Dialing it down to one companion or even two balances things out quite a bit. It'll never be quite as weighty and deliberate as MH, just not that kinda game, but it can be made to require more effort from the player. Also yeah the Naginata is one of the spammier weapons, if you'd use something like the Club or Fists it takes a bit more focus. Naginata and Daggers are the two big NEVER EVER STOP MASHING BUTTONS weapons, pretty much everything else is a bit more deliberate.

Me, I've never cared for these games being difficult, I'll keep rolling with all my AIs and have my fun by horribly bullying monsters. Edax's are HILARIOUS when you rip out both their legs and all they can do is roll around flailing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The combat is definitely spammier than MonHun but it also feels more deliberate and less cheap-shotty than God Eater. I think it strikes a good middle ground, because all of the weapons have movesets that can get pretty technical if you wanted to. And you probably will if you want to get those all-break bonuses. Because of how the grappling hook, lock on, and moveset mobility/positioning maneuvers all play into each other, Toukiden 2 feels a lot more fluid and more like a character action game than the previous one did. Granted, the Chain-and-Sickle already had that kind of feeling built-in but it's nice to see that kind of fun getting baked into the core gameplay for all weapons.

I agree that the SP companions really do kick an absurd amount of rear end and the campaign is pretty easy because of it. They're all experts at interrupting monsters with the grappling hook and sniping down tough body parts. And they're on-point with purifying stuff and setting down buffs and traps if their mitama has them. I know difficulty purists might scoff buy by golly, it's kind of incredible having AI companions as good as a real player.

Belzac posted:

It will continue to be very talky to the end and I love it.

Same

I'm glad the prologue confirmed the time period the games take place in (Meiji), as I'd suspected but didn't have a way of confirming in the previous one

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually, this game is answering a lot of questions I'd had about the Toukiden setting and I'm just a couple chapters in but genuinely interested in the story.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

-does sp unlock anything for mp AT ALL like cool skins or anything
-does this give me incentive to grind for 200 hours
-does this game get really hard because generations kinda topped out at a point
-how do multiplayer deaths work, is it like MH where you have a shared pool so I can carry my friends?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I know you can use the Demon Hand to grappling-hook towards an enemy, and when that gauge fills up you can use it to pull off a body part. What's this about "interrupting" a monster with it?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

The chain whip is such a strange inclusion. It feels like they designed it before they decided to just give everyone the grapple ability and stole its thunder.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

chumbler posted:

Regarding the PC port, I played about an hour last night and didn't encounter any issues for what it's worth.

Also maybe it's just me and not having played the first one in a while, but this game actually kinda looks a bit worse graphically than Kiwami.

I thought the same thing, I imagine that making it open world but also have a Vita port is responsible for that.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

-does sp unlock anything for mp AT ALL like cool skins or anything
-does this give me incentive to grind for 200 hours
-does this game get really hard because generations kinda topped out at a point
-how do multiplayer deaths work, is it like MH where you have a shared pool so I can carry my friends?

1. It unlock more features in the town and ai companions to fill in empty slots.
2. If you like trophies Touki1 and Kiwami were easily 150+ hour platinums.
3. At least in Touki1 they had solo only/short time limit/boss starts enraged missions towards the end/through dlc for some extra challenge.
4. When you run out of health you fall down and a timer starts ticking down. Any of your teammates can channel the ritual of purity on you to fill the timer back up and when it's full you stand back up with very little health. As you continue to lose your health and revive the timer starts more and more empty making it harder to revive you and forcing people to spend longer picking you up. If the timer expires you die and are brought back with full health but incur a penalty similar to MH (a fine to your reward money and ticking you closer to failure). 3 of those and the mission fails. In addition there are some ways to mess with the system a bit through mitama in the players favor. It's much much much much much more forgiving than MH but it can spiral out of control into an instant loss especially in MP if a couple people go down at the same time.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tykero posted:

I know you can use the Demon Hand to grappling-hook towards an enemy, and when that gauge fills up you can use it to pull off a body part. What's this about "interrupting" a monster with it?

When a monster is doing a "charge" attack, denoted by them generally charging forward, always covered in red lightning poo poo, you can grapple them and it'll knock them out of the charge and put them flat on their rear end-analogue. You've probably seen your AI companions do it a bunch of times and just never realized it because they are REALLY GOOD at doing so.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I'm planning to get the demo and give it a try, but the op has me a bit confused.

You mention stuff like monster hunter, soul sacrifice, and freedom wars so I assumed this was another hunting game, but you also mentioned Dragon's Dogma which is kind of a completely different genre. Later on you bring it up again as an example of a game that has an open world which seems weird to bring up, because again, it's an RPG that also has some larger monsters, not a hunting game.

So uh, what exactly is this? Is it a hunting game like monster hunter/god eater or is it a full on RPG that also happens to feature larger monsters like Dragon's Dogma?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Tykero posted:

If you grab a monster (unity bar doesn't matter) when they're "charging" (aka red lightning effect) you basically trip them and they fall to the ground. If different people grab different parts while this is happening you multiply how long they fall down for.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm planning to get the demo and give it a try, but the op has me a bit confused.

You mention stuff like monster hunter, soul sacrifice, and freedom wars so I assumed this was another hunting game, but you also mentioned Dragon's Dogma which is kind of a completely different genre. Later on you bring it up again as an example of a game that has an open world which seems weird to bring up, because again, it's an RPG that also has some larger monsters, not a hunting game.

So uh, what exactly is this? Is it a hunting game like monster hunter/god eater or is it a full on RPG that also happens to feature larger monsters like Dragon's Dogma?

Somewhere in the middle, but closer to hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Belzac posted:

Somewhere in the middle, but closer to hunting.

So what's the open world part referring to then? Just that the individual maps aren't segmented into chunks? Or are we talking actual open world and you can run around exploring, fighting whatever you come across?

• Locked thread