Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Wrist Watch posted:

So what's the open world part referring to then? Just that the individual maps aren't segmented into chunks? Or are we talking actual open world and you can run around exploring, fighting whatever you come across?

Imagine if all the zones of a Monster Hunter were seamlessly connected and going on an expedition let you run across the entire game with a mechanic that limits your time in areas you haven't fully completed the story missions for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Wrist Watch posted:

So what's the open world part referring to then? Just that the individual maps aren't segmented into chunks? Or are we talking actual open world and you can run around exploring, fighting whatever you come across?

"we talking actual open world and you can run around exploring, fighting whatever you come across?" This part.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Oh poo poo, that sounds pretty cool. Thanks for helping clear that up for me!

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

I agree that Dragma has extremely little to do with the genre, but people insist on making the comparison so I include it for their benefit. This is basically just God Eater with more MH than raw distilled anime.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

It takes the framework of an open world game but directs you through it with a lot of story-related gating so everything feels like distinct zones. But generally you can leave town, wander around, if a Big Monster spawns you can fight it, or you can bugger off and do your own thing. Also there's sidequests you can pick up, sometimes out in the field, and even stumble onto NPCs who need help clearing out a bunch of trash mobs and will temporarily join you as an extra party member when you do. Every place you've "cleared," storywise, relaxes a lot of the exploration restrictions in that zone and opens up a new outpost to fast travel to.

tbh it's pretty interesting as an attempt to reconcile the hunting genre and open world design but the heavily story-driven campaign means that until you fully unlock the whole map, it feels like a more linear experience.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

one last thing before i click buy

can I fashion hunter

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh NO. I just got a mail that included a special crafting material... Which I got from maxing a Mitama. This means there are specific cool weapons hidden behind maxing out specific Mitama. And this doesn't seem to marked anywhere.

I'm not completely paralyzed by the knowledge any one of my like couple dozen Mitamas could be hiding a sweet pair of daggers if I only max them out...

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Oh NO. I just got a mail that included a special crafting material... Which I got from maxing a Mitama. This means there are specific cool weapons hidden behind maxing out specific Mitama. And this doesn't seem to marked anywhere.

I'm not completely paralyzed by the knowledge any one of my like couple dozen Mitamas could be hiding a sweet pair of daggers if I only max them out...

Extremely Important Japanese Historical or Mythological Figures, and the mitama you get from maxing your npc s-links

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Emalde posted:

Extremely Important Japanese Historical or Mythological Figures, and the mitama you get from maxing your npc s-links

That's still kinda vague since like half the Mitamas seem to qualify for extremely important! Like the one I got was the one for Yagyu Jubei, who doesn't SEEM like that big of a deal from his bio? But now I'm wondering if, say, Goemon has one because he SEEMS like he's more mythologically important than Jubei. But just like WHO KNOWS.

Also I assume that the NPC Mitamas give weapons of the same class as their character which makes me sad that I have no one using daggers (yet?). And yet TWO RIFLE USERS.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Infinity Gaia posted:

That's still kinda vague since like half the Mitamas seem to qualify for extremely important!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rHlmIxSXnA&t=109s
lol if you havent learned all your japanese mythology from video games

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rHlmIxSXnA&t=109s
lol if you havent learned all your japanese mythology from video games

I mean obviously anyone who was in Samurai Warriors would qualify I just don't have a whole lot of those yet.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I maxed out most of the mitama from the demo and it seems like it's not too awfully difficult to figure out which mitama will give you a crystal. If it's a story mitama it probably will, if it has a skill that affects a specific weapon it probably will. If it's a DLC mitama it won't. In Touki 1 when you unlocked the ability to make weapons out of mitama it told you what ones could do it if you'd found them already.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Nice, I almost made an OP for this, but then I used the forum search :v:

It's great to have another place to post about how I'd rather be playing more Toukiden than doing whatever I'm currently doing.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope the characters in the campaign are good. I ended up rather liking the ones in the first game.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i watched a few videos and it looks like monsters don't really fight back???

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Monster behavior is much more granular at every "tier", early level mobs are far less aggressive, that is correct. However, monsters also have a poo poo ton of things that cause them to fall over, so Competent Play also functionally disables early monsters entirely.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Monsters also target different characters with their attacks rather than just attacking so if you're spread out it can often seem like the monster isn't attack you (because they're attacking other people).

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I really like the chain whip so far, I thought about doing spears after platinuming Kiwami with guns but I like flying around throwing exploding kunai too much. It is pretty comical that there's so many ways to knock down and stop oni now but they took away the stun/stagger move spears and guns had.

You can trip them, rip off limbs permanently and the other stop defensive moves are there still but I'll miss taking three spear users and having the monster whine about getting chain dived on.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Chain whip is pretty great yeah. Loading a part full of kunai then doing the circle combo to pop them all at the end is hugely satisfying. Still trying to figure out a main mitama type to use with it though. I keep cycling between deception, speed, and plain old attack.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

lmao I made the beginner mistake of trying out the gun and bow first

they feel clunky as gently caress and I've played hbg main for every mh game

I was this close to saying ehhhh I'll refund and play it in a few months on sale, and then I tried chain sickle

melee is really fun in this game

Emalde
May 3, 2007

:psyduck: The entire point of ranged weapons in every not-mh-game is that they don't feel like you're trying to reconfigure a sack of bricks to fire your ammunition.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
In what world is rifle more clunky than HBG

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Try locking on before aiming.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

i watched a few videos and it looks like monsters don't really fight back???

The videos always seem to show those black spiders, which are the first large monster you fight and are pretty much just punching bags. I don't think there's anything as agressive as, like, an Apex Seregios or whatever but monsters definitely don't stay passive.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I can't play this game (PC) without some horrendous stuttering issues and it blasting my CPU to bits but I am enjoying what little I can get. Fullscreen is out of the question for some reason, and more mysteriously so is windowed but with the frame cap at 30 lol

I made it about halfway through T1 with a rifle and I plan on maining it this game too, also the sword and shield own bones

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The Moon Monster posted:

The videos always seem to show those black spiders, which are the first large monster you fight and are pretty much just punching bags. I don't think there's anything as agressive as, like, an Apex Seregios or whatever but monsters definitely don't stay passive.

Yeah something to keep in mind while looking at videos is that Manhunter, the big spider, might look big and intimidating but he's the Great Jaggi equivalent of the game in that he's the first proper large oni you fight and will behave as such.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

If anyone is looking for build suggestions, Kusarigama + speed mitama was fun as hell in the first game. You end up spending the entire fight in the air bouncing from weak point to weak point.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The Great Jaggi never discoed me into oblivion.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Bussamove posted:

Chain whip is pretty great yeah. Loading a part full of kunai then doing the circle combo to pop them all at the end is hugely satisfying. Still trying to figure out a main mitama type to use with it though. I keep cycling between deception, speed, and plain old attack.

I like plunder with Siebold and Lady Fuse so far. Buffs the crap out of quicksilver so you can slam circle, spread ablution and dismember oni quickly. Even better when they have adds around them since it keeps your plunder damage rolling. Siebold also has the ability that restores stamina on hitting friendlies and refunds it in blowing up kunai.

Attack is just as hilarious because with carnage and fervor your stamina almost goes up instead of down if you hit enough parts. I just played a lot of plunder in Kiwami and prefer being able to blow body parts off easier for the all parts bonus.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

I can't play this game (PC) without some horrendous stuttering issues and it blasting my CPU to bits but I am enjoying what little I can get. Fullscreen is out of the question for some reason, and more mysteriously so is windowed but with the frame cap at 30 lol

Unfortunately that's just kind of how it goes with KT ports. It's like they'll just pick PCs at random to say "nope gently caress you" to.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Belzac posted:

The Great Jaggi never discoed me into oblivion.

I believe the phrase is ballerina thunderdome.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm doing the chapter 1 quest "Ruins Survey - Peace -", in which I'm supposed to kill an Ogre and a Windshredder, but the ogre never spawns, and the quest is impossible to complete. Is anyone else getting this?

Edit: Restarting the game fixed it.

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 23, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

chumbler posted:

Unfortunately that's just kind of how it goes with KT ports. It's like they'll just pick PCs at random to say "nope gently caress you" to.

Pretty disappointing. Touki 1, Bladestorm, and every Warriors game I've tried to play on my rig have all been just fine, I was really looking forward to Touki 2 but it's almost unplayable for me.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Babe Magnet posted:

Pretty disappointing. Touki 1, Bladestorm, and every Warriors game I've tried to play on my rig have all been just fine, I was really looking forward to Touki 2 but it's almost unplayable for me.

That's really mysterious, in that case. Your video card drivers are reasonably up to date, and all that? Uh, that said I have read that it's a CPU hog. That might be something they can patch, but if it's a CPU bottleneck there's not much that you, the user, can do about it.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Some people have said setting the particle effects to low in the launcher helps with cpu issues.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm doing the chapter 1 quest "Ruins Survey - Peace -", in which I'm supposed to kill an Ogre and a Windshredder, but the ogre never spawns, and the quest is impossible to complete. Is anyone else getting this?

Edit: Restarting the game fixed it.

Sometimes quests just fail to spawn monsters at random. It's quite bizarre.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Am I understanding correctly that in order to kill an Oni you need to first break a part off (so it's ghostly-looking), then attack that broken ghost part on the monster to actually hurt it?

I tried out a bunch of different weapons, and I don't really care much for most of them. It usually takes a while before something "clicks" with me in these games and I find my favorite, though. I'm back to the Naginata now that I have a slightly better feel for the game.

Naginata seems to have two charge levels: yellow and red. They increase your attack speed and let you hit multiple parts, I think? Getting hit seems to lose your charge level, as does not attacking for a bit.
The attack where you hold X to do a little flourish also seems to consume a charge level and end your combo. I assume it does a bunch of damage to compensate? Do the aerial attacks do more or less damage than the grounded attacks?
Should my basic strategy be to just wail on a monster until it's vulnerable, then mash the B (special attack) button as long as I can?

The Naginata feels like a good choice for soloing, are there other weapons that are good picks for fast and effective solo play?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yes that is how it works unless the boss is in a rampage. Rampage you can whack it anywhere and it'll do damage. Which is why you should try to dismember as much of the oni as you can before it rampages so you aren't put on a time limit. Or it doesn't matter when they regenerate said limbs.

Naginata was the best in Kiwami solo as long as you can keep the frenzy (the colors you're talking about) buff. I did all the solo trophies with one (except for the completely naked one, I used a gun on the horned turtle) because of being able to chop multiple limbs and the parry. I haven't messed with it in 2 but if there wasn't much changes it'll still be a nice weapon to use solo. I feel like it's the sword and shield where it has a nice spread of abilities but isn't exceptional at anything.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I'm enjoying this, apart from the PC's always-on mic problem. But I don't understand more than 1% of what's going on. I skimmed the thread for answers, but sorry if I missed things I'm about to ask.

When my weapon gauge is full, what's the difference between ripping a limb off with my demon hand or blasting it off with my triangle+circle move?

What are the ways to totally remove a part, where not even a ghostly version of it remains? And when you do that, are you limiting your ability to actually hurt them since there isn't a ghost limb to hit?

Is rampage when the oni turns purple-pink?

What are the oni's two status bars I can see with my spirit vision? The second seems to be HP, but I can't work out the first.

Is there a good "workflow" for choosing your 3 mitama? Right now I pick one, read through all my others to try and find enough active boosts to get full value, and usually have to go back and choose a new first and read through everything again. Maybe that's because I don't have enough variety of mitama. I have about 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Full weapon gauge attack (Destroyer) knocks a part off but it can regenerate.

Oni Burial (full unity gauge attack) will permanantly destroy a part if that part glows white when you hold down the demon hand button and target it.

Yes on the rampage/pink

Top health bar is the oni's body status, basically a shield. If you knock that all the way down then any attack will damage the oni's health, otherwise the only way to damage health is to hit phantom limbs.

Mitama you basically want boosts that complement your main mitama and weapon.

• Locked thread