Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Oh... I think I was conflating the weapon and unity gauges. I'll have to check the encyclopedia's HUD breakdown again.

And thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hydrocodone posted:

I'm enjoying this, apart from the PC's always-on mic problem. But I don't understand more than 1% of what's going on. I skimmed the thread for answers, but sorry if I missed things I'm about to ask.

When my weapon gauge is full, what's the difference between ripping a limb off with my demon hand or blasting it off with my triangle+circle move?

What are the ways to totally remove a part, where not even a ghostly version of it remains? And when you do that, are you limiting your ability to actually hurt them since there isn't a ghost limb to hit?

Is rampage when the oni turns purple-pink?

What are the oni's two status bars I can see with my spirit vision? The second seems to be HP, but I can't work out the first.

Is there a good "workflow" for choosing your 3 mitama? Right now I pick one, read through all my others to try and find enough active boosts to get full value, and usually have to go back and choose a new first and read through everything again. Maybe that's because I don't have enough variety of mitama. I have about 10.

1- There are two separate gauges, the colorful one with your weapon icon on it and the blue bar on the left. The colorful one gives you the triangle + circle attack which merely removes a monster part, revealing the ghost part beneath. The bar gives you the ability to pull off a monster part and FULLY destroy it, which alters the monsters moveset quite a lot. Only certain parts can be fully removed, they're the ones that are highlighted when you prepare the pull-off attack.

2- See above

3- Rampage is when the sky turns red.

4- The first gauge is how much HP they have before going into Rampage.

5- As you get more Mitama obviously your choices expand. I'd say pick your weapon Mitama first because it defines a lot of your playstyle, and then select your other two based around it. If you only have 10 or so Mitama right now don't worry about it too much, the system becomes more obvious to use as you get more Mitama and the synergies become more evident.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Weapon is the diamond next to your weapon and unity is the vertical blue bar next to party names.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

big nipples big life posted:

Top health bar is the oni's body status, basically a shield. If you knock that all the way down then any attack will damage the oni's health, otherwise the only way to damage health is to hit phantom limbs.

Well that certainly explains why it always felt inconsistent to me I was completely wrong about what it was.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I am enjoying the team in this one. I miss some of the characters from the first game but this group has some personality, not as goofy fun as MH NPCs but still fun.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know it's not the most interesting playstyle but I really love the catharsis of setting up a bunch of sword-damage stacks with Fervor-fueled dashing-slash-cancel combo strings and then setting them off by sheathing the sword. Also the big disadvantage with longswords from the last game, a lack of verticality, is less of an issue when you can grapple anywhere and then hit it.

Though trying to do it with a full unity gauge might render even that much moot.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
As someone who enjoyed the first toukiden quite a bit im so far pleased as punch with the sequel.

Although i cant stop refering to demon hand as god hand.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Babe Magnet posted:

Pretty disappointing. Touki 1, Bladestorm, and every Warriors game I've tried to play on my rig have all been just fine, I was really looking forward to Touki 2 but it's almost unplayable for me.

Do you still happen to have the Kiwami save data somewhere for PC users to get the data import bonuses?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
God I love the rifle. Once muscle memory starts kicking in I can seem myself pulling off some crazy poo poo with loading different bullets and such.

Some bullet types seem kind of crappy though? There's one type that slows enemies down but it doesn't seem that effective or really slow them down that much. Piercing shots are insane though.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
This game is amazing. It's the right blend of monster hunter and... I guess dynasty warriors? For me. Today I realized there's a whole other level of poo poo I was ignoring with the mitamas after I equipped a deceit one who made all my rear spearing precision strikes.

One useful thing that I stumbled onto was holding RB (on xbox 360 controller) after holding X to trigger poo poo like bow strikes and sickle+weightything's chain throw let me move my thumb back so I didn't have to use the claw to hold X. Too much mh when I was younger left me with carpal tunnel.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

deadly_pudding posted:

That's really mysterious, in that case. Your video card drivers are reasonably up to date, and all that? Uh, that said I have read that it's a CPU hog. That might be something they can patch, but if it's a CPU bottleneck there's not much that you, the user, can do about it.

yeah I even went and completely uninstalled my drivers using DDU and reinstalled them fresh.

big nipples big life posted:

Some people have said setting the particle effects to low in the launcher helps with cpu issues.

this is the first thing I tried lol

Emalde posted:

Do you still happen to have the Kiwami save data somewhere for PC users to get the data import bonuses?

possibly but not on my current computer, I'll see if I can access my old PC by tomorrow and upload something

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Red Mundus posted:

God I love the rifle. Once muscle memory starts kicking in I can seem myself pulling off some crazy poo poo with loading different bullets and such.

Some bullet types seem kind of crappy though? There's one type that slows enemies down but it doesn't seem that effective or really slow them down that much. Piercing shots are insane though.

Charged absorb bullets are pretty nice at keeping an oni still if you have a chain whip or naginata user spamming circle. Not anything I'd go out of my way to make sure I'd have on a gun but they have their uses.

And to think the rifle was crazier in Kiwami. If I try it again I'll badly miss no charge on sniper bullets. Granted that was probably too strong but eh.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

okay yeah, I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for a fix for this because I'm getting maybe five or six good minutes of gameplay before the game starts to stutter, and I'm pretty sure it's because the game is blasting my CPU at all times because for some reason it's affecting NPC and monster spawn lmao

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hey, is the maximum materials chest size supposed to be 1100? Due to a weird series of events I think I completed the third expansion quest (blue ore) before the second one (silver grass) and now I'm stuck with the silver grass in my inventory permanently and my max material chest size is 1100, and I have no idea if this is a bug or the accurate size. I assume it's the max size because the carpenter guy said that it'd be the last expansion I'd get, but I have no idea if that's enough to fit in all possible materials.

Then again I haven't even broken 300 different materials yet so it might be fine even if its busted.

Edit: I'm mostly worried about the possibility of it being a bug due to the materials chest expansions being broken in Kiwami PC for a while.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Babe Magnet posted:

possibly but not on my current computer, I'll see if I can access my old PC by tomorrow and upload something

Let us know where it saved as well, b/c i can't even tell where this game keeps its saves

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

mine are in ...Documents\KoeiTecmo\TOUKIDEN2\Savedata_ENG

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Babe Magnet posted:

for some reason it's affecting NPC and monster spawn lmao

I don't remember it happening to any NPCs but there was a few times in the PS4 demo where a boss and adds just never spawned. Good poo poo.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I know on vita the pop in can be kind of bad in town and I had a mission earlier where the boss just never spawned. I kept oni handing around trying to find something to break to spawn it and just gave up and restarted.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Putting this in spoilers just in case there's someone else out there who actually gives a gently caress:

LOL that the protag apparently has a history of repeated memory loss. Like the first thing you do when you get the chance to talk to Kuyo is say "Help me I've forgotten nearly all my memories." And he's all "Well? What else is new?"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

The demo left me feeling kinda unfulfilled. Anyone recommend a video I can watch of some fight that isn't effectively Great Jaggi: Japan Edition? I watched the Hakumen Souzu fight in the OP but he seemed to spend 90% of the time flopping on his rear end--maybe because it was four people.

(ed: for reference Stygian Zinogre is about as far as I got in Generations before I stopped playing it, if that's a difficulty marker you're familiar with)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I'm normally not a fan of the Gauntlets. They're too slow and boring and their main cool move requires such a massive window to reach full effectiveness that it often felt kinda blah.

Then I used Gauntlets with Mirage and a bunch of atk speed improving boosts. This is just unfair to the monsters. If I'm in my full combo of skills I can do the entire flurry combo in about 2 or 3 seconds? It's ridiculous. I'm not even FULLY specced for this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

After spending a few more hours with the game, any misgivings I had beforehand about the open world thing are gone. It's really just tossing out the load screens, and you still have the mission giver that spawn you right in the fight. Sword and shield also rules and the professor and robot buddy are fun.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Of course the first exception I find to the rule of a Mitama that gives a weapon skill also gives a weapon material is the one Mitama I have that has a daggers skill. Depressing. I have like 4 goddamn Mitamas with Naginata skills, fucks sakes, give me more dagger poo poo.

Then again I haven't been able to actually craft any of these Mitama weapons yet anyways so I suppose it's mostly irrelevant for now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been collecting those lore plates and so help me, I'm actually invested in and curious about the Toukiden setting. In the previous games the Oni were an incomprehensible threat that basically tore apart time, space, and also people/souls and you the player basically have no context besides that because it's the same as everyone else in that world, nobody really knows why the timedemonpocalypse happened, they're just trying to survive it.

And in this game you get recruited by a mad scientist gal who's interested in the super-advanced lost civilization whose ruins only started popping up after said apocalypse happened. Said civilization had mysterious connections to the Oni, provided the basis for her magitech doodads, and from what I can gather, tie heavily into most of the running questions I'd had with regards to the big mysteries of the setting. It makes things feel a little less bleak and helps quantify the extent of the threat the Slayers are facing, which makes them not only comprehensible but also surmountable. I'm still missing some pieces of the puzzle and am filling in the blanks as I go. The lost civilization appear to be the inspiration for the gods of Japanese mythology. They dug too greedily in the search for ultimate power, unleashed time demons in their own Awakening-type calamity, and as far as I can tell were ultimately destroyed by the Oni along with the majority of the rest of the world. But clearly there were enough survivors to try to put things back together. One fragment hinted that some of them figured out the properties of barrier stones and used those to try to re-establish reality and bring back life to the places they could. Another completed tablet mentions that the civ also scattered their best and brightest oni-fighters, the Ark Warriors, across time to wherever and whenever Oni try to appear. Because they're constantly getting shunted across time they have a habit of losing their memories. Though this hits some harder than others.

I'm gonna guess that Kiwami's Oboro and TK2's protag are Ark Warriors. Horo also fits the profile of an amnesiac time traveler who constantly fights Oni. I'm thinking she was one too, but she was also explicitly trained by Oboro when he founded the Slayer/Mononofu order as we know it and I don't exactly know when that was. Though if the Slayers were actually founded by the lost civ and are the descendants of their survivors, that would put the whole "insiders v. outsiders" thing into a new light. Was TK1's protag an amnesiac too? I forget. I don't know if the Ark Warrior thing has anything to do with the multi-mitama talent either. And obviously the Ark Warriors weren't enough to stop the Awakening in the Meiji era, though there's been some foreshadowing that it may have been caused by humans trying to dig into the power of the lost civilization, and it's not like a handful of amnesiac timecops could stand a chance against someone deliberately planning to end the world.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Xarbala posted:

Putting this in spoilers just in case there's someone else out there who actually gives a gently caress:

LOL that the protag apparently has a history of repeated memory loss. Like the first thing you do when you get the chance to talk to Kuyo is say "Help me I've forgotten nearly all my memories." And he's all "Well? What else is new?"

This gave me a good laugh.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

also :lol: at the succubus armor, I am a tornado of tits and destruction.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

The demo left me feeling kinda unfulfilled. Anyone recommend a video I can watch of some fight that isn't effectively Great Jaggi: Japan Edition? I watched the Hakumen Souzu fight in the OP but he seemed to spend 90% of the time flopping on his rear end--maybe because it was four people.

(ed: for reference Stygian Zinogre is about as far as I got in Generations before I stopped playing it, if that's a difficulty marker you're familiar with)

Not as tough as a Zinogre, at least at low-rank, but Aurogrinder is one of a couple I've fought so far that I thought was fulfilling to beat. I only skimmed this video, but it looked similar to my encounter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az5LBa2RqNg

Plus it's a vicious, jeweled sea turtle. It's a bit like Tomatoa from Moana, so you can imagine Jemaine Clement is trying to kill you if you like Flight of the Conchords.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

nothing feels like it does any damage in this game

i'm never worried about being combod or one shot

maybe I'm too good for my own good or something I dunno

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Have you reached expert rank?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Maybe it's cuz I'm bad but even at normal rank Aurogrinders gently caress me up every time. Their attacks really loving hurt and a lot of them have really short tells that make it hard to dodge.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've also gotten careless about upgrading my armor or learning tells since the early game oni are relatively weak and unaggressive.

Then I ran into a Quadbracchium as part of the main storyline and, immediately after that, threw down with everybody's ol' buddy, the Chthonian Fiend. It's always an awkward moment when you run out of Recoveries in the middle of the fight, but at least the revive mechanics are fairly forgiving.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The fact they make you fight it in such tight quarters does make it a lot harder too.

I had a fun experience earlier too doing a mitama quest where two aurogrinders spawned in basically a dead end cave and every part of me badly wanted to have a gun or a bow. I'm glad they seem to be more common for now but game, please.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Now that I have the mitama for it, plunder with Lady Fuse for uber-Quicksilver is the love and the light.

When everything is ready I turn into a blender of death and pop part after part after a while with a stacking attack buff. :getin: It's a pretty utilitarian set too, works with most any weapon.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man I'm normally not a fan of the Gauntlets. They're too slow and boring and their main cool move requires such a massive window to reach full effectiveness that it often felt kinda blah.

Then I used Gauntlets with Mirage and a bunch of atk speed improving boosts. This is just unfair to the monsters. If I'm in my full combo of skills I can do the entire flurry combo in about 2 or 3 seconds? It's ridiculous. I'm not even FULLY specced for this.

Another fun gauntlet pairing is any mitama ability that lets you get back focus from critting. I've had whole fights where I was mashing the gauntlet special forever thanks to its semi-guaranteed crits.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's Fervor and yeah, a lot of weapons benefit from having a mitama with that ability since so many of their specials use up focus meter.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Another weapon I was super down about originally was the plain ol' Spear, but with the right boosts (spear-specific boosts REALLY help it, especially anything to do with Flurry) it's probably the best non-ranged weapon for dealing with annoying small body parts like the chest armor on the wacky arm birds and the like. Plus once you stack up enough charge speed and attack speed boosts on Flurry it gets REALLY funny, and the spear has one of the most solid non-focus using movesets in the game, which makes them really good for extended engagements IMHO. Really, as I play around with all the weapon the more I find I like them all, they just need the right kind of setup. Usually "the right kind of setup" means things to improve attack speed, IMHO.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I have just finished chapter 1, and this game is actually literally Ghostbusters.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chumbler posted:

I have just finished chapter 1, and this game is actually literally Ghostbusters.

Yes. :science:

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm a little annoyed about how the plot DOES NOT CHILL from like the end of chapter 4 until the very end. I have so many sidequests but the plot keeps pushing me forward... I guess I'll just have a lot to catch up on in the post-game. Like there's three whole Ages that I'll have to get around to exploring afterwards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008
Finished the main story but now on the post story content and man the difficulty really does go up especially on higher phased levels!

I was concerned the game was too easy but after getting up it does definitely matter what kind of Mitani you're bringing to the fight!

My first fights would last only about 5 mins now I'm around 15-20 mins a battle

I think once I get my weapon levels higher it'll be good but so far I'm really enjoying it still post story.

It does feel kinda empty, still.

I guess I feel like Monster Hunter has more depth to it? or maybe breadth...

Either way, I'm not complaining I just feel like there's not as much to do.

• Locked thread