Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ataxerxes posted:

How does the whole reforging process work? Does it result in a random new weapon, or an upgrade?

It's a weapon tree system a la Monster Hunter, so you get the option to turn it into one of the next tier of weapons in its tree. Making a new weapon by a reforge is usually cheaper in terms of resources than crafting the same weapons from scratch, though as Belzac mentioned some weapons can only be obtained by reforges. Fortifying takes your weapon and simply upgrades its stats rather than changing it into a new weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Xarbala posted:

It's a weapon tree system a la Monster Hunter, so you get the option to turn it into one of the next tier of weapons in its tree. Making a new weapon by a reforge is usually cheaper in terms of resources than crafting the same weapons from scratch, though as Belzac mentioned some weapons can only be obtained by reforges. Fortifying takes your weapon and simply upgrades its stats rather than changing it into a new weapon.

Thanks for the info. If I fortify a weapon and then reforge it do the bonuses carry over to the new one?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ataxerxes posted:

Thanks for the info. If I fortify a weapon and then reforge it do the bonuses carry over to the new one?

They don't carry over, no.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thankfully Fortify ingredients are fairly common so you're not really missing out by upgrading something to like +3 then reforging it. I'd only fortify equipment beyond that if it was at the end of its reforge line or if you think it'll be a while before you get the materials for the upgrade and could use the extra edge.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Where's a good place to farm expert world mats in MP. poo poo like true silver ore.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EDIT: Welp out of curiosity I went to cross-reference some of the resources getting posted, haphazardly, in the Steam Community discussions.

For example Hatsu's Nikkari Aoe are made from Deluge Knives, made from Scorpioclaw parts.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fgamy.jp%2Ftoukiden2%2FTachi-list On this google translate page, Yagyu Jubei's Miike Tenta sword is machine translated to Mitsuke Mita. And figuring out where to go from there is kind of a pain for me because I'm not brimming with crafting resources to fill out a catalog singlehandedly. I guess Belzac is in a better position to record this than I am but it's a lot to ask one person.

These resources courtesy of this discussion, by steam user JKthree. The japanese reference sites are posted in the comments of this discussion. Deciphering this stuff with only google translate and common sense is not the most convenient way to go about it, but it's going to take the community a while to sort this out and, hey, we're kinda part of the community too come to think of it.

Kild posted:

Where's a good place to farm expert world mats in MP. poo poo like true silver ore.

Every phase should have a mission with a 90 minute duration called something like -Patrol- or -Recovery- sending you to hunt easy mid-size oni, that's where you grab world mats in multiplayer lobbies. Or the singleplayer versions thereof.

Runa fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 28, 2017

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Kild posted:

There's a phase 7 or so quest with a venter/ogre that gives a guaranteed true silver ore for about a minute work. For the other stuff like gold quills do what that guy above said

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Speaking of that, is there a MP mission that spits out magatama at a decent rate? Trying to upgrade the searching robot from failing constantly to failing only most of the time.

Running around yore for an hour gives me like, one if I'm lucky.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I had the most luck with ruins expeditions for upgrading the robot. I have mine up to 8 in both search and battle ability without wasting hours trying to find them in free roam. The yore one has magatamas and burning rocks for later upgrades as rewards.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
drat now I feel dumb running around looking for them when you get 4 of each for doing the ten kill ruins. Thanks.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Xarbala posted:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fgamy.jp%2Ftoukiden2%2FTachi-list On this google translate page, Yagyu Jubei's Miike Tenta sword is machine translated to Mitsuke Mita. And figuring out where to go from there is kind of a pain for me because I'm not brimming with crafting resources to fill out a catalog singlehandedly. I guess Belzac is in a better position to record this than I am but it's a lot to ask one person.

These resources courtesy of this discussion, by steam user JKthree. The japanese reference sites are posted in the comments of this discussion. Deciphering this stuff with only google translate and common sense is not the most convenient way to go about it, but it's going to take the community a while to sort this out and, hey, we're kinda part of the community too come to think of it.

Yeah I've looked through the wikis and have had no luck turning up whatever the base sword is to make the Yagyu Jubei mitama weeapon, which is of course the raw/dex one that I'd rather have. I already have one mitama sword, but it's fire element and has way less dex, so I'd rather have the one that fits my build best (plus, a lot of the enemies I'm fighting currently are fire-based.)

For people looking for mitama weapons, one of the key ingredients for most of them are Eye of Truth masks, which you can find by turning on your Demon Hand vision (press R3) and finding collectibles that weren't there before. The chance to get it from any of these is random, but the spots are fixed. The best place I've found them is literally the first Phase 1 multiplayer mission, there's one by some statues behind one of those big worm demons. If you don't get it, just quit and restart, if you do, finish the mission.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
All the weapons you make from being soul mates with people upgrade to level 6 and have pretty good dexterity if you're looking for a bridge weapon until you figure it out. Gold wing quills kind of suck but just run around yore and you'll get a decent amount. I think I got about 6 in an hour which upgrades one and a half.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 29, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It took me a bit to get the hang of the chain whip but it's really growing on me. It's not as technical as it seems at first, and the explosions are always satisfying. Using the chain and sickle well still eludes me, though. I always end up throwing it in the wrong direction and dropping my air combos, particularly if I drift behind the target.

I think only knives and naginata are are still a bit unsatisfying. They should've added another trick to those two since they just feel too simple.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chumbler posted:

It took me a bit to get the hang of the chain whip but it's really growing on me. It's not as technical as it seems at first, and the explosions are always satisfying. Using the chain and sickle well still eludes me, though. I always end up throwing it in the wrong direction and dropping my air combos, particularly if I drift behind the target.

I think only knives and naginata are are still a bit unsatisfying. They should've added another trick to those two since they just feel too simple.

Naginata feel perennially underpowered, even with the damage buff to the Circle combo. Knives are kind of funny if you turn on ninja run and nick at people's legs but it also doesn't feel especially powerful. I do like the chain-and-sickle though, with enough Fervor and crit it feels like you can stay in the air forever. I've had the same drifting problem on faster targets though. The Chain Whip strikes me as an odd inclusion in a game that also includes a built-in grapple function, but the kunai mechanics are solidly fun in that "build up stacks, then set them off" kind of way.

I've gotten back into the swing with the Rifle lately and I've been doing the toss grenade, then shoot combo basically all day, everyday. I'm wondering if this is or is not the correct thing to do. Feels great when paired with explosive bullets.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGg_MVYshIk Is the bug @ 44s still in the game?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Xarbala posted:

One thing to note is that there is a common set of upgrade paths for all of the weapons(I don't think I've seen any that have deviated outside of Mitama weapons). So if you find yourself wishing you had a spear version of that neat bow you've been using it'll cost you the same materials. The downside to that is that if you decide you want multiple versions of the equivalent weapon you'll find yourself having to repeat the same fight a lot, might have been nice if some of them used different parts from the same monster, especially since there's stuff like the Anomolos True<X> which is a great high damage weapon path that seems worth having for all the weapons.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGg_MVYshIk Is the bug @ 44s still in the game?

I'm looking but I'm not seeing an obvious bug. If you're talking about the disappearing severed leg, it's because the oni took enough damage to go into a phase change, and any monster with a regenerating limb phase will do that if there's spare body parts lying around. It's just being delayed from actually finishing that phase change animation because it's being constantly stunlocked until about 1:20.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Xarbala posted:

I'm looking but I'm not seeing an obvious bug. If you're talking about the disappearing severed leg, it's because the oni took enough damage to go into a phase change, and any monster with a regenerating limb phase will do that if there's spare body parts lying around. It's just being delayed from actually finishing that phase change animation because it's being constantly stunlocked until about 1:20.

he's looping a finisher over and over. you're suppose to do 4 attacks first before it can come out.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

he's looping a finisher over and over. you're suppose to do 4 attacks first before it can come out.

Oh, sorry. You mentioned a timestamp and I missed the forest for the trees. A google translate of the video description doesn't give the most enlightening answer on how to perform the bug/exploit, but it does mention an even older bug that isn't repeatable in the main game.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I found the sword to reforge into Miike Tenta - Shadow Slicer. It reforges from Longsword or Steel Bite -> either of Oni Slicer or Oni Slicer Mk 2 -> Shadow Slicer (takes one of the previous and 4x crawler's claw [crawler], 3x soul shredder [blitzer], 3x death claw [aquaclaw], 1x iron ore) -> Miike Tenta (I forget exactly what this takes, but I know it involves Yagyu Jubei's shard, eye of truth masks, and the claw you get from High rank ogres).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I know I should make the mitama weapons, but double murdering them feels dickish.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
You don't murder them, you take a crystal they give you to help you and use that.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zarick posted:

I found the sword to reforge into Miike Tenta - Shadow Slicer. It reforges from Longsword or Steel Bite -> either of Oni Slicer or Oni Slicer Mk 2 -> Shadow Slicer (takes one of the previous and 4x crawler's claw [crawler], 3x soul shredder [blitzer], 3x death claw [aquaclaw], 1x iron ore) -> Miike Tenta (I forget exactly what this takes, but I know it involves Yagyu Jubei's shard, eye of truth masks, and the claw you get from High rank ogres).

Whats its stats?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Miike Tenta: 433 atk, 66 dex.

Upgrades to 736 atk, 110 dex.

chumbler posted:

I know I should make the mitama weapons, but double murdering them feels dickish.

The mitama themselves are fine, they just give you a chunk of their souls. Like mitosis, except for to hit things with.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 30, 2017

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
After you max their skills you get mail from kuon that amounts to "hey the ghost dude or lady gave me this shard of power from the beyond for you to use, enjoy" and then you turn it into cool looking weapons like Excalibur and the hachiman bow.

I just wish I knew that making mitama weapons wasn't blocked by getting to endgame, I would've farmed more parts because I want to make a decent amount of them. :|

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wonder what sort of stuff do you get from going deep into the Ruins. I know in Kiwami the survival mode got increasingly difficult and rare monsters would start spawning every interval.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
So far the only exclusive things that you get in there are materials to make the continuum weapons and machina stones for synthing. Sableblade also only spawns in there to my knowledge.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Nightblades, Sableblades, aurogrinders in some of them, the machina armor and weapon parts, stones, an easy method to get a bunch of mitama, a decent chunk of materials on completion. Cash too I guess if you're struggling with that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What is the difference between defense and aegis? I've been just choosing my armor based on appearance, as is the proper way to do it, but it would be good to know what those stats actually do.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks, guess I'll check the Ruins out.

Me and my friend started looking into deciphering the JP fansites for instructions on building more mitama weapons. I figured out that Kondo Isami's Kotetsu (atk 394, dex 20, poison 130, upgradeable to ark 658 , dex 33, poison 217) is made from the Oni Slicer Mk3, which in turn is made from the Shokuchi Blade. He tells me Siebold's fire SnS is made from the Darkstar (brutebeast) SnS.

EDIT: Akechi Mitsuhide's Wither Petalscatter is made from the poisonous Oni Executor Mk3 rifle, itself made from the Shokuchi Rifle. It looks like a decent chunk of these are derived from Oni Mk. weapons.

chumbler posted:

What is the difference between defense and aegis? I've been just choosing my armor based on appearance, as is the proper way to do it, but it would be good to know what those stats actually do.

Aegis is the regen rate for red health. This is more relevant to people using Support as their main type or Plunder's Heaven's Wrath attack skill so you probably don't need to worry about it too much.

Runa fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 31, 2017

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Xarbala posted:

Thanks, guess I'll check the Ruins out.

Me and my friend started looking into deciphering the JP fansites for instructions on building more mitama weapons. I figured out that Kondo Isami's Kotetsu (atk 394, dex 20, poison 130, upgradeable to ark 658 , dex 33, poison 217) is made from the Oni Slicer Mk3, which in turn is made from the Shokuchi Blade. He tells me Siebold's fire SnS is made from the Darkstar (brutebeast) SnS.

Aegis is the regen rate for red health. This is more relevant to people using Support as their main type or Plunder's Heaven's Wrath attack skill so you probably don't need to worry about it too much.

Isn't it also your characters weight?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

Isn't it also your characters weight?

Oh, right. But Knockback distance is even less of a big deal imo

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Depends on your weapon. It's highly important to naginata.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh. Fair enough, then.

EDIT: Oh hey, more costume dlc and a mission pack was released already. Well, the stuff's already been out in Japan for a while so it's fair enough that it's basically ready to go.

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 30, 2017

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Xarbala posted:

Oh. Fair enough, then.

EDIT: Oh hey, more costume dlc and a mission pack was released already. Well, the stuff's already been out in Japan for a while so it's fair enough that it's basically ready to go.

It is one of the most important DLCs b/c it has cat ears that aren't the tenko costume!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

All the characters are starting to grow on me, but Kuyo is still the best. I love that rear end in a top hat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chumbler posted:

All the characters are starting to grow on me, but Kuyo is still the best. I love that rear end in a top hat.

:yeah:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Playing this right after nioh is kinda surreal. Makes me want the weapons from this in nioh and the nioh movement in this.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Quadbracchium can gently caress right off. There appears to be no safe way way to attack them short range when they're in 4 leg mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

chumbler posted:

Quadbracchium can gently caress right off. There appears to be no safe way way to attack them short range when they're in 4 leg mode.

yeah a few of the Onis you probably don't want to permabreak. Petros Quadbracchium and Jollux off the top of my head.

• Locked thread