Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Kild posted:

yeah a few of the Onis you probably don't want to permabreak. Petros Quadbracchium and Jollux off the top of my head.

Jollux/Edax are kind of a tradeoff because while they start slithering around like weird giant babies they also start spending a lot of time doing nothing at all.

Petros rolls around way too much and quadbracchium can be a pain if you can start breaking its new legs quick, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

I don't agree. Petros will use his interruptible roll a lot more giving you room to smash him.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

So I played like half of toukiden 1 and I'm starting to put more time into this one, can I get a clarification on how some things work?

So what does the game mean by "permanent break", what makes it different from regular breaking and purifying the body part? Also, what causes an oni to go into like it's second phase, I thought it would be damage but I've noticed it will happen at different times for the same oni.

The White Dragon armor is so good, it looks cool + is carrying my rear end through this game until something that does water damage shows up and ruins me lol

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
When you fill up the unity gauge you can use it to instantly break a part. While targeting your arm with a full unity gauge, some parts glow white. If you use gauge on that part it will break for the rest of the fight and usually drastically change the oni's moves. What parts glow white and when can change depending on the stage of the fight with the most devastating breaks usually only being available after the oni enters rampage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Uf

Babe Magnet posted:

So I played like half of toukiden 1 and I'm starting to put more time into this one, can I get a clarification on how some things work?

So what does the game mean by "permanent break", what makes it different from regular breaking and purifying the body part? Also, what causes an oni to go into like it's second phase, I thought it would be damage but I've noticed it will happen at different times for the same oni.

The White Dragon armor is so good, it looks cool + is carrying my rear end through this game until something that does water damage shows up and ruins me lol

If you're wondering about monster phases, note that Rampage isn't necessarily the same as a phase change, but an oni in its second phase is usually perma-rampaging. Rampage happens when an oni's defense meter breaks and its body becomes susceptible to actual hp damage. An oni's purple meter is defense, its blue meter is health. You can see them when you bring up Eyes of Truth/witchervision. Pay attention to the state of the meters when an oni regrows its non-perma'd limbs. Usually this happens when the blue meter reaches halfway, which means most oni enter their second phase at 50% damage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Note that bruteclaws will enter their second phase at like 25% health, so they're almost dead by the time you can wreck them with unity attacks/"Oni Burial".

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Bruteclaws and scorpioclaws are one of the only monsters I save my burst for when they're at about half health. Easier to just blow them up and keep them stunlocked to death for full part bonus instead of having them rampage, grow every part back at 10% hp and then die in 30 seconds.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Enjoying this a surprising amount after starting off quite cynically in a "WHY U NO LIKE MH?" way.

It's got it's own flavor for sure, but getting into the higher phase fights it's starting to feeling pretty entertaining and the depth is there I think.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Are there any Expert Mode only monsters? Kinda annoying going through and only getting reskins with higher stats.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

Are there any Expert Mode only monsters? Kinda annoying going through and only getting reskins with higher stats.

I think that sort of thing happened in Kiwami, but as that was basically a G version and this is just a base game it's all reskins on down.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Been considering getting this, though I first need to know how keyboard and mouse contrls are, since I do not own a controler and it will be a while before I can get a quality one

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Arkanumzilong posted:

Been considering getting this, though I first need to know how keyboard and mouse contrls are, since I do not own a controler and it will be a while before I can get a quality one

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're serious.

There are keyboard controls, but no mouse support. It's *technically* playable without a controller, but I don't recommend it. 90% of the negative reviews on Steam are wannabe "consumer advocates" going insane because they can't play this console game with m/kb.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

deadly_pudding posted:

I'm gonna give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you're serious.

There are keyboard controls, but no mouse support. It's *technically* playable without a controller, but I don't recommend it. 90% of the negative reviews on Steam are wannabe "consumer advocates" going insane because they can't play this console game with m/kb.

I am sadly serious
I WANT to get a controler
But a quality one (in other words, one I can guarantee wont be rejeckted by my pc as otuers have in the past) costs twice as much as the game
So until I manage to save enough extra so that I can buy a decent controler... kind of stuck with mouse and keyboard

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I made the Musou Bow and spec'd for Homing Arrow, crits, and focus on crits in my Mitama. This is overpowered.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
You can use just about any old garbage controller if you use x360ce, playing this without one basically means a WASD-like setup on the right side of the keyboard to emulate the right analogue stick for camera control.

I haven't tried the keyboard layout but it does seem like it should be decently playable.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have a friend who steadfastly refuses to get a gamepad and has played a distressingly large numbers of KT PC ports with Just Keyboard. I don't know why he's put up with this for so long or how he even manages, but there's a reason why he doesn't use Rifles.

I got an xinput wrapper for my decade-old ps3 controller specifically because KT are such lazy bastards about mouse support.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Kild posted:

If you played Kiwami and got to expert mode there are no unique monsters left. Phase 12 introduces a reskin of orochi, abyssal fiends, cacarions (ice version of maledictaurs), stealthwings and an ice version of the dragon.

I don't believe the DLC introduces anything new if you played Kiwami too, the first pack was just the cat people and screechers. Which is why I'm probably not going to bother with it unless it goes on sale or get a package deal.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Arkanumzilong posted:

I am sadly serious
I WANT to get a controler
But a quality one (in other words, one I can guarantee wont be rejeckted by my pc as otuers have in the past) costs twice as much as the game

Is the game cheaper than I remember? You can get an Xbox controller for like 40$ last I checked.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

If he lives in third world country like Brazil, all hardware and physical games are stupid expensive

There is a good reason why Brazilian Gamers are way into F2P PC Games.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Wallet posted:

Is the game cheaper than I remember? You can get an Xbox controller for like 40$ last I checked.

Yeah, I just checked Amazon and wired 360 controllers, which would be my recommendation, are around $27 in the US.

If they aren't where you live, Arkan, that sucks. Because definitely don't get the game until you have a controller.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Which of the dozen different ways you can attack with the bow are worth using?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

Which of the dozen different ways you can attack with the bow are worth using?

The Homing Arrow combined with a boost to Homing damage (like Minamoto no Tametomo's capstone boost, or Surveyance on anyone else) is potentially pretty absurd, and as Tykero mentioned, pairing that with a focus-regain boost of some sort means you're a horn-breaking machine, among other things. The three-quick-nock Arrow Rain thing is decent to regain a lot of focus if you're not proccing as much as you need from the homing hits.

Convergence (boost to single charge shots) builds don't seem quite as strong but the option's there if you wanted to use different mitama builds for utility rather than raw power.

EDIT: Also single charges are more focus-efficient, especially if paired with a fast-charge boost. Against big enough targets, it's probably worth using both, especially since a charge arrow is basically like a piercing bullet. The arrow rain thing is better on small targets.

Runa fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 6, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The OP mentions running around with 3-4 NPCs, is this how the game is tuned or is it optional?

What interests me in games like monhun is going 1v1 so I don't really enjoy multiplayer because as soon as more people are involved the fights get more "messy". I want full control over the combat and learn the timings and movesets because I'm a :spergin: because I love more "methodical" combat and for that I need the full attention of whatever I'm fighting.

Basically.. As a person who dearly loves Monster Hunter and Dark Souls and have put countless hundreds of hours into them, is there any chance I'd enjoy this game too? :v:

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Your Computer posted:

The OP mentions running around with 3-4 NPCs, is this how the game is tuned or is it optional?

What interests me in games like monhun is going 1v1 so I don't really enjoy multiplayer because as soon as more people are involved the fights get more "messy". I want full control over the combat and learn the timings and movesets because I'm a :spergin: because I love more "methodical" combat and for that I need the full attention of whatever I'm fighting.

Basically.. As a person who dearly loves Monster Hunter and Dark Souls and have put countless hundreds of hours into them, is there any chance I'd enjoy this game too? :v:

The game is definitely more tuned to having the NPCs around in terms of health, and really monster behavior as well. Also the NPCs are better than you in general. The monsters are really aggressive and have attacks that cover pretty large areas, and if you're the only target it's hard to find those openings particularly with slower weapons. I wouldn't really go soloing unless you want to spend 20 minutes on a fight.

Toukiden is faster and looser than Monster Hunter or Dark Souls, but not on the level of a musou or Platinum game. If I had to compare it to another action game, it's probably more like a Devil May Cry game, really. Though even then still a bit more forgiving.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 6, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

T2 with the open world and NPC biz and giant monsters feels a lot like Dragons Dogma to me

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
It's not just monster health that seems balanced for a party of 4, there's also the later missions with multiple monsters where you don't have the space to fight them separately unless you have npcs to keep one distracted.

Haven't played in a week so I don't remember names, but the only really difficult one I've had so far involved a venter, an ogre type(with the fruit?) and the sort of minotaur looking guy, and it was only difficult because I had to deal with all 3 at once.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Xarbala posted:

The Homing Arrow combined with a boost to Homing damage (like Minamoto no Tametomo's capstone boost, or Surveyance on anyone else) is potentially pretty absurd, and as Tykero mentioned, pairing that with a focus-regain boost of some sort means you're a horn-breaking machine, among other things. The three-quick-nock Arrow Rain thing is decent to regain a lot of focus if you're not proccing as much as you need from the homing hits.

Convergence (boost to single charge shots) builds don't seem quite as strong but the option's there if you wanted to use different mitama builds for utility rather than raw power.

EDIT: Also single charges are more focus-efficient, especially if paired with a fast-charge boost. Against big enough targets, it's probably worth using both, especially since a charge arrow is basically like a piercing bullet. The arrow rain thing is better on small targets.

Yeah, my strategy is using Homing Arrow 90% of the time. If you're too close, or against certain wonky monsters, the Homing Arrows won't hit reliably, so you can use the charged arrow instead. Close up against a wide monster the double knock or triple knock is a good choice if you don't have time to do something else. I use Cursed Arrow a lot, too, if I'm at the right range and most of the markers will hit.

Your Computer posted:

I'm right there with you on the 1v1 desires. This game is not built in a way to engage that. You CAN solo hunt, but it's tedious, dangerous (one death and you're out), and reveals a lot of flaws in the monster design.
It's a good fun hunting game if you just accept that the AI is a part of your kit. Despite preferring to solo hunt 90% of the time in MonHun, I got over that to at least enjoy Toukiden 2.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 6, 2017

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, like basically every other hunting game besides monster hunter, the game is balanced around you being revived by your partners, and death feels a lot more frequent.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
So far I've just been using sword and a few of the earliest Mitamas without really paying too much attention.

What should I actually be looking for when deciding on Mitamas to equip?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Depends on your weapon and playstyle but with more mitama you get more powerful options. Like Sugi Fumi is pretty drat strong if you're using elemental weapons because her ultimate ability is healing based on your damage which pairs well with brandish and elemental. Keep in mind mitama weapons too as those tend to be fairly strong and it's simpler to level them up now instead of having to go out of your way to do it later.

Honestly just try them out but there's a big spreadsheet of mitama and builds that you could use here if you need ideas:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NOk8jt1VMAdOgdC9lhLytIE8lwSKnHBWW8-Ua5oNGXk/edit?usp=sharing

In general, if you have high crit you want something to go along with it like devastation or abilities that fire when you crit or with elemental you want focus and health drain and abilities to boost your elemental damage.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Largepotato posted:

So far I've just been using sword and a few of the earliest Mitamas without really paying too much attention.

What should I actually be looking for when deciding on Mitamas to equip?

Stuff to make whatever sword moves you use better. So stuff like Gouge Master probably.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kamiizumi Nobutsuna also has some curious boosts that actually discourage using Gouge and instead rely on big hits like the triangle charge slash, if you were looking for a different way to play Sword.

The mitama system actually has a lot of stuff going on so it's worth giving your library of boosts a look.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really like the mitama system. My only issue is that I have yet to find mitamas with weapon specific bonuses for the weapons I use. I have an atk-atk-hlg knives build right now that has double exertion boost (lose hp in exchange for extra damage) and a shitload of leech bonuses, including focus leech. I can literally spin2win forever and regain more health than I lose with exertion while the buffs are active.

It's pretty awesome to cut all of an Oni's limbs without releasing the special attack button, kinda like throwing them into a blender.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 6, 2017

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Oni Burial is one of the most satisfying things I've ever seen in a video game. It's really fun seeing which oni have tricks up their sleeves to make up for not having legs any more.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Oni Burial is one of the most satisfying things I've ever seen in a video game. It's really fun seeing which oni have tricks up their sleeves to make up for not having legs any more.

Speaking of Oni Burial, that's the one downside to going all in on Homing Shots with the bow. You build unity gauge faster by doing a large number of small attacks faster, than doing slow and heavy hits like the homing arrow. Incidentally this is why Benizuki, a naginata user, seems to build unity faster than most other NPC helpers.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the replies :3:

Looking at the gameplay footage and what you guys said, I guess I should look on it a bit more like a hack-n-slash? The game looks fun nonetheless, don't get me wrong. I enjoy those kinds of games too, I just like to know in advance what I'm getting :v:

Speaking of knowing what you're getting, I just looked at the weapon videos.... there's spears, naginata and fists? Those are literally my three favorite videogame weapons! If those are any good and/or fun to use I might have to buy the game just out of obligation. I mean, I also dig the aesthetic of the game but punching monsters is probably my favorite thing. :swoon:

e: how's the character creator and/or customization options? I live for dress-up games videogame fashion.
e2: also I'm a huge weeb so please tell me there's options for japanese voices (if the game is voiced, that is)

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 7, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the replies :3:

Looking at the gameplay footage and what you guys said, I guess I should look on it a bit more like a hack-n-slash? The game looks fun nonetheless, don't get me wrong. I enjoy those kinds of games too, I just like to know in advance what I'm getting :v:

Speaking of knowing what you're getting, I just looked at the weapon videos.... there's spears, naginata and fists? Those are literally my three favorite videogame weapons! If those are any good and/or fun to use I might have to buy the game just out of obligation. I mean, I also dig the aesthetic of the game but punching monsters is probably my favorite thing. :swoon:

e: how's the character creator and/or customization options? I live for dress-up games videogame fashion.
e2: also I'm a huge weeb so please tell me there's options for japanese voices (if the game is voiced, that is)

It is very much more like a hack and slash than MH, and arguably more than God Eater too. I feel like the sheer speed and mobility of Toukiden 2 kind of spoils other monster hunting games for me, especially since I've been alternating between this and God Eater 2 recently and in that game it feels like I'm walking on molasses. And the movesets for the different weapon types in this game are really, really interesting to mess around with.

The character creation is... there. It uses the hair and face assets from the Warriors series create-an-officer. It's difficult to make a good looking character that isn't kind of out of place next to the very anime NPCs but I think I manage.

This is a low-budget KT localization job so there's no English VA whatsoever. I wish there were some subtitles or something for in-field callouts, actually.

Despite the flaws this is my favorite monster hunting game!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, it's way more hack and slash than monster hunter, which doesn't scratch the same itch that MonHun does, but it does scratch a different itch, so it's still all good. MonHun is more satisfying to me and I think about it more, but on the other hand, it's also a bit more draining. I can play Toukiden longer without feeling like I need to take a break because that last two-monster hunt took 25 goddamn minutes. It's very much the kind of thing where if you expect a certain thing you'll be disappointed, but if you know what to expect it's very good at giving just that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The character creation isn't bad, but body types end up pretty samey as a consequence of having to make so many armor models. As with most KT stuff all voices are in Japanese, no English dub. It's a bit unfortunate since their chatter doesn't get subtitles, which is understandable since that could get annoying and distracting fast.

Also the howling wheel or whatever armor's giant boots (and Tales of Berseria) reminds me that I wish there was a kick weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

Are there (many?) different armors and weapons for ~fashion hunting~ or is it more of a "use what you get" type deal? Also why does the steam page say "partial controller support", are you supposed to play with a keyboard and mouse or something?

I.. think I want this game.

• Locked thread