Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
As someone who has Platinumed the original release of Toukiden (almost twice over), and Kiwami I thought I'd give my two cents on why I love Toukiden and will play 2 for 400 hours.

At its core Touki is super streamlined MonHun. When I say that most fans of MonHun will roll their eyes and let me know that the frivolous micromanagement and time wasting aspects are actually the fun parts but after playing Touki I can say my eyes are opened. Nearly every aspect of Touki has been tuned to be as quick, intuitive, and to let you get to the fun as fast as possible. Your town management between missions is down to seconds, item management is non-existant, missions usually put you up against your target quicker than the loading time to get into the mission, and the combat speed is tuned up to match the fast paced systems. Combined with PSN online play this offers the ideal lay down and jam out a few Oni in a few minutes play experience that keeps me coming back for more.

Co-op is more than solo with others. One of the biggest issues with this genre focused on co-op multiplayer is that it's actually rare to see an experience tailored for co-op play. Touki offers a lot to those who like to kill Oni with friends. Mitama boost stacking can combine into a truely support focused role, coordination on dismemberments is key if you want to get that coveted all parts break bonus, and even little things like collecting Oni parts being faster when you work together.

MITAMA! I can't speak highly enough about how amazing the mitama system is. Going with the streamlined aspect Mitama managed to combine item pouch, armor skills, and pokemon into a single system and I love it. Each mitama type offers a significant change to your gameplay for each slot you place it in. Each individual mitama can be leveraged into a specifically min/maxed set by mixing their boosts. That and you get to collect 200 little spirit friends who talk to you in your head and who doesn't want to do that.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Vakal posted:

I wanted to get into Toukiden 1 but the environments seemed so barren and empty and the monsters you fought barely had any reaction animations to your attacks, so every fight just seemed so lifeless.

Please try out the Toukiden 2 demo.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm an old man now so I don't mind the frames of the vita version at all. Being able to play on the go and use touch screen overrides the benefit of more stable but not locked frames.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The only thing you have to redo is your mission progress which is easier than MH as it marks the required missions in red.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Infinity Gaia posted:

I'm pretty interested in this, especially if it does actually do what Toukiden promised and failed to deliver on (mostly I'll just forever be upset about PHANTOM LIMBS), but I really hope the PC port is better than the garbage fire that was the Kiwami one.

The spirit limbs is actually a really cool gameplay mechanic if you get in depth with it but I'm glad they're also adding a way to permanently remove limbs to fulfill that fantasy as well.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They don't have any issues with releasing at the exact right time (you'll want to anyway to stop the stamina drain) but Club has a sweet spot mechanic where you want to hit them with the very tip of it.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

exquisite tea posted:

Interested in this all of a sudden, please report back with how the Steam port performs for all those who :pcgaming:.

Watching a stream of someone who got an early release from KT on PC and it's running fine and he says it's performing good.

https://www.twitch.tv/dyoshiitv

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I am downloading the demo to this right now. Last summer Kiwami and God Eater 2 were recommended to me after I complained about a lack of console monster hunters past MHT.

I ended up getting GE2, playing through the first ~10 story missions of GE1, trying out GE2, and being less than impressed. The graphics, the repetitive environments, the seeming lack of diversity in weapons, none of it really kept my attention for long.

On the other hand, playing MHT on the wii 6 years ago with 3 friends was awesome.

If I didn't like GE1/2 and I loved MHT, will Toukiden 2 satisfy my 'gotta have a monster hunter' craving?

Touki is far closer to the MH side of the formula than GE. But without more info about why MH was fun to you it's hard to tell.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Fair enough.

with MH I really liked:
the environments and how diverse they were. Don't remember the name but there was one boss that you fought from a...train? and had to jump on and attack various body parts?

the weapons all felt really different.

the crafting - I really enjoyed getting the different armor sets ready, and farming various bosses to get specific materials was fun because each of the bosses felt so distinct.

The levels in GE were just no fun.

I would say Touki2 has the second two but like GE the problems you're going to run into are the areas. Touki2 has an open world system so you'll be looking at expansive forests, plains, japanese villages, etc. Eventually the places get a bit more interesting but there aren't any greater wyvern style fights to my knowledge.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Do you want to play something multiplayer?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They also fixed it at the end of Kiwami by allowing you to reassign boosts at will once you maxed out their level. They just started with that in 2.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

exquisite tea posted:

So I played the demo version of this on PS4 for a little while to see if I would like it, and the combat was fun enough but the campaign was very, very talky, much more than I was expecting. Is the rest of the game like that or does it open up? Or should I just immediately go online and forget the SP?

It will continue to be very talky to the end and I love it. You can jump on MP and forget all about it pretty early on, though you might want to stick with it till a bit in chapter 2 when you unlock most of the town functions.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

-does sp unlock anything for mp AT ALL like cool skins or anything
-does this give me incentive to grind for 200 hours
-does this game get really hard because generations kinda topped out at a point
-how do multiplayer deaths work, is it like MH where you have a shared pool so I can carry my friends?

1. It unlock more features in the town and ai companions to fill in empty slots.
2. If you like trophies Touki1 and Kiwami were easily 150+ hour platinums.
3. At least in Touki1 they had solo only/short time limit/boss starts enraged missions towards the end/through dlc for some extra challenge.
4. When you run out of health you fall down and a timer starts ticking down. Any of your teammates can channel the ritual of purity on you to fill the timer back up and when it's full you stand back up with very little health. As you continue to lose your health and revive the timer starts more and more empty making it harder to revive you and forcing people to spend longer picking you up. If the timer expires you die and are brought back with full health but incur a penalty similar to MH (a fine to your reward money and ticking you closer to failure). 3 of those and the mission fails. In addition there are some ways to mess with the system a bit through mitama in the players favor. It's much much much much much more forgiving than MH but it can spiral out of control into an instant loss especially in MP if a couple people go down at the same time.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Tykero posted:

I know you can use the Demon Hand to grappling-hook towards an enemy, and when that gauge fills up you can use it to pull off a body part. What's this about "interrupting" a monster with it?

If you grab a monster (unity bar doesn't matter) when they're "charging" (aka red lightning effect) you basically trip them and they fall to the ground. If different people grab different parts while this is happening you multiply how long they fall down for.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Wrist Watch posted:

I'm planning to get the demo and give it a try, but the op has me a bit confused.

You mention stuff like monster hunter, soul sacrifice, and freedom wars so I assumed this was another hunting game, but you also mentioned Dragon's Dogma which is kind of a completely different genre. Later on you bring it up again as an example of a game that has an open world which seems weird to bring up, because again, it's an RPG that also has some larger monsters, not a hunting game.

So uh, what exactly is this? Is it a hunting game like monster hunter/god eater or is it a full on RPG that also happens to feature larger monsters like Dragon's Dogma?

Somewhere in the middle, but closer to hunting.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Wrist Watch posted:

So what's the open world part referring to then? Just that the individual maps aren't segmented into chunks? Or are we talking actual open world and you can run around exploring, fighting whatever you come across?

"we talking actual open world and you can run around exploring, fighting whatever you come across?" This part.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I maxed out most of the mitama from the demo and it seems like it's not too awfully difficult to figure out which mitama will give you a crystal. If it's a story mitama it probably will, if it has a skill that affects a specific weapon it probably will. If it's a DLC mitama it won't. In Touki 1 when you unlocked the ability to make weapons out of mitama it told you what ones could do it if you'd found them already.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Monsters also target different characters with their attacks rather than just attacking so if you're spread out it can often seem like the monster isn't attack you (because they're attacking other people).

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Try locking on before aiming.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The Great Jaggi never discoed me into oblivion.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Have you reached expert rank?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Half or more of the weapon trees are just shortcuts to weapons you can make for more expensive straight from the blacksmith or cheaper from reforging.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I remake any weapon i reforge so just looking at my list of reforges is a like a half complete list.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
They're all reforges so you have to find the base sword first.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
You don't murder them, you take a crystal they give you to help you and use that.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Depends on your weapon. It's highly important to naginata.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
When you fill up the unity gauge you can use it to instantly break a part. While targeting your arm with a full unity gauge, some parts glow white. If you use gauge on that part it will break for the rest of the fight and usually drastically change the oni's moves. What parts glow white and when can change depending on the stage of the fight with the most devastating breaks usually only being available after the oni enters rampage.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
Kuyo is a trained slayer and he fights for a little bit off screen in Kiwami. Nothing is impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I got the platinum in and it's by far less intensive than Touki1 or Kiwami. Great game that really needs a follow up.

• Locked thread