Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I got this on PC and haven't had any real performance issues, but.. it doesn't seem to support 2560x1440 resolution. I have to run it in windowed mode at 1920x1080.

Combat feels really spammy and not very tactical, but I've only just completed the mission where you first enter the place filled with miasma, so can I safely assume the game gets more demanding further in?
I've been playing with the Naginata mostly so far, so that probably also has something to do with it.

I do like how streamlined mission prep is, and the connected zone concept is cool.

I favored mostly Greatsword and Switch Axe in the recent Monster Hunter games. From a brief perusal of the weapons on offer here, it seems like the Club and Spear are somewhat analogous to the Greatsword?
I tend to like weapons with a bit of range and big meaningful hits.

Overall I'm enjoying the game so far, and looking forward to playing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I know you can use the Demon Hand to grappling-hook towards an enemy, and when that gauge fills up you can use it to pull off a body part. What's this about "interrupting" a monster with it?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
Am I understanding correctly that in order to kill an Oni you need to first break a part off (so it's ghostly-looking), then attack that broken ghost part on the monster to actually hurt it?

I tried out a bunch of different weapons, and I don't really care much for most of them. It usually takes a while before something "clicks" with me in these games and I find my favorite, though. I'm back to the Naginata now that I have a slightly better feel for the game.

Naginata seems to have two charge levels: yellow and red. They increase your attack speed and let you hit multiple parts, I think? Getting hit seems to lose your charge level, as does not attacking for a bit.
The attack where you hold X to do a little flourish also seems to consume a charge level and end your combo. I assume it does a bunch of damage to compensate? Do the aerial attacks do more or less damage than the grounded attacks?
Should my basic strategy be to just wail on a monster until it's vulnerable, then mash the B (special attack) button as long as I can?

The Naginata feels like a good choice for soloing, are there other weapons that are good picks for fast and effective solo play?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
I made the Musou Bow and spec'd for Homing Arrow, crits, and focus on crits in my Mitama. This is overpowered.

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Xarbala posted:

The Homing Arrow combined with a boost to Homing damage (like Minamoto no Tametomo's capstone boost, or Surveyance on anyone else) is potentially pretty absurd, and as Tykero mentioned, pairing that with a focus-regain boost of some sort means you're a horn-breaking machine, among other things. The three-quick-nock Arrow Rain thing is decent to regain a lot of focus if you're not proccing as much as you need from the homing hits.

Convergence (boost to single charge shots) builds don't seem quite as strong but the option's there if you wanted to use different mitama builds for utility rather than raw power.

EDIT: Also single charges are more focus-efficient, especially if paired with a fast-charge boost. Against big enough targets, it's probably worth using both, especially since a charge arrow is basically like a piercing bullet. The arrow rain thing is better on small targets.

Yeah, my strategy is using Homing Arrow 90% of the time. If you're too close, or against certain wonky monsters, the Homing Arrows won't hit reliably, so you can use the charged arrow instead. Close up against a wide monster the double knock or triple knock is a good choice if you don't have time to do something else. I use Cursed Arrow a lot, too, if I'm at the right range and most of the markers will hit.

Your Computer posted:

The OP mentions running around with 3-4 NPCs, is this how the game is tuned or is it optional?

What interests me in games like monhun is going 1v1 so I don't really enjoy multiplayer because as soon as more people are involved the fights get more "messy". I want full control over the combat and learn the timings and movesets because I'm a :spergin: because I love more "methodical" combat and for that I need the full attention of whatever I'm fighting.

Basically.. As a person who dearly loves Monster Hunter and Dark Souls and have put countless hundreds of hours into them, is there any chance I'd enjoy this game too? :v:

I'm right there with you on the 1v1 desires. This game is not built in a way to engage that. You CAN solo hunt, but it's tedious, dangerous (one death and you're out), and reveals a lot of flaws in the monster design.
It's a good fun hunting game if you just accept that the AI is a part of your kit. Despite preferring to solo hunt 90% of the time in MonHun, I got over that to at least enjoy Toukiden 2.

Tykero fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 6, 2017

• Locked thread