Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I really like the chain whip so far, I thought about doing spears after platinuming Kiwami with guns but I like flying around throwing exploding kunai too much. It is pretty comical that there's so many ways to knock down and stop oni now but they took away the stun/stagger move spears and guns had.

You can trip them, rip off limbs permanently and the other stop defensive moves are there still but I'll miss taking three spear users and having the monster whine about getting chain dived on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Bussamove posted:

Chain whip is pretty great yeah. Loading a part full of kunai then doing the circle combo to pop them all at the end is hugely satisfying. Still trying to figure out a main mitama type to use with it though. I keep cycling between deception, speed, and plain old attack.

I like plunder with Siebold and Lady Fuse so far. Buffs the crap out of quicksilver so you can slam circle, spread ablution and dismember oni quickly. Even better when they have adds around them since it keeps your plunder damage rolling. Siebold also has the ability that restores stamina on hitting friendlies and refunds it in blowing up kunai.

Attack is just as hilarious because with carnage and fervor your stamina almost goes up instead of down if you hit enough parts. I just played a lot of plunder in Kiwami and prefer being able to blow body parts off easier for the all parts bonus.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yes that is how it works unless the boss is in a rampage. Rampage you can whack it anywhere and it'll do damage. Which is why you should try to dismember as much of the oni as you can before it rampages so you aren't put on a time limit. Or it doesn't matter when they regenerate said limbs.

Naginata was the best in Kiwami solo as long as you can keep the frenzy (the colors you're talking about) buff. I did all the solo trophies with one (except for the completely naked one, I used a gun on the horned turtle) because of being able to chop multiple limbs and the parry. I haven't messed with it in 2 but if there wasn't much changes it'll still be a nice weapon to use solo. I feel like it's the sword and shield where it has a nice spread of abilities but isn't exceptional at anything.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Red Mundus posted:

God I love the rifle. Once muscle memory starts kicking in I can seem myself pulling off some crazy poo poo with loading different bullets and such.

Some bullet types seem kind of crappy though? There's one type that slows enemies down but it doesn't seem that effective or really slow them down that much. Piercing shots are insane though.

Charged absorb bullets are pretty nice at keeping an oni still if you have a chain whip or naginata user spamming circle. Not anything I'd go out of my way to make sure I'd have on a gun but they have their uses.

And to think the rifle was crazier in Kiwami. If I try it again I'll badly miss no charge on sniper bullets. Granted that was probably too strong but eh.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
I know on vita the pop in can be kind of bad in town and I had a mission earlier where the boss just never spawned. I kept oni handing around trying to find something to break to spawn it and just gave up and restarted.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The fact they make you fight it in such tight quarters does make it a lot harder too.

I had a fun experience earlier too doing a mitama quest where two aurogrinders spawned in basically a dead end cave and every part of me badly wanted to have a gun or a bow. I'm glad they seem to be more common for now but game, please.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Phase 3 single player mission the creeping fear has one if you're doing a cooking mission. I think like the mission I've encountered them in honor but I couldn't tell you where.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
The mission dumps you at the frozen sea which is in the Northwest part of the zone near hanachiru village so maybe try there first.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
You also eventually have to do it for platinum if you want that but I need to double check what the trophies are for this anyway. Hunting aurogrinders doesn't seem too terrible now but unless I'm missing something holy poo poo the weapon trees suck even worse. Trying to do weapon aficionado ala Kiwami might give me nightmares.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Speaking of that, is there a MP mission that spits out magatama at a decent rate? Trying to upgrade the searching robot from failing constantly to failing only most of the time.

Running around yore for an hour gives me like, one if I'm lucky.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
drat now I feel dumb running around looking for them when you get 4 of each for doing the ten kill ruins. Thanks.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
All the weapons you make from being soul mates with people upgrade to level 6 and have pretty good dexterity if you're looking for a bridge weapon until you figure it out. Gold wing quills kind of suck but just run around yore and you'll get a decent amount. I think I got about 6 in an hour which upgrades one and a half.

Stanos fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 29, 2017

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
After you max their skills you get mail from kuon that amounts to "hey the ghost dude or lady gave me this shard of power from the beyond for you to use, enjoy" and then you turn it into cool looking weapons like Excalibur and the hachiman bow.

I just wish I knew that making mitama weapons wasn't blocked by getting to endgame, I would've farmed more parts because I want to make a decent amount of them. :|

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Nightblades, Sableblades, aurogrinders in some of them, the machina armor and weapon parts, stones, an easy method to get a bunch of mitama, a decent chunk of materials on completion. Cash too I guess if you're struggling with that.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Bruteclaws and scorpioclaws are one of the only monsters I save my burst for when they're at about half health. Easier to just blow them up and keep them stunlocked to death for full part bonus instead of having them rampage, grow every part back at 10% hp and then die in 30 seconds.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Kild posted:

Are there any Expert Mode only monsters? Kinda annoying going through and only getting reskins with higher stats.

If you played Kiwami and got to expert mode there are no unique monsters left. Phase 12 introduces a reskin of orochi, abyssal fiends, cacarions (ice version of maledictaurs), stealthwings and an ice version of the dragon.

I don't believe the DLC introduces anything new if you played Kiwami too, the first pack was just the cat people and screechers. Which is why I'm probably not going to bother with it unless it goes on sale or get a package deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Depends on your weapon and playstyle but with more mitama you get more powerful options. Like Sugi Fumi is pretty drat strong if you're using elemental weapons because her ultimate ability is healing based on your damage which pairs well with brandish and elemental. Keep in mind mitama weapons too as those tend to be fairly strong and it's simpler to level them up now instead of having to go out of your way to do it later.

Honestly just try them out but there's a big spreadsheet of mitama and builds that you could use here if you need ideas:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NOk8jt1VMAdOgdC9lhLytIE8lwSKnHBWW8-Ua5oNGXk/edit?usp=sharing

In general, if you have high crit you want something to go along with it like devastation or abilities that fire when you crit or with elemental you want focus and health drain and abilities to boost your elemental damage.

• Locked thread