Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nier Automata might be right up there with Witcher 3 as contender for game of the decade but I loving love Toukiden and when this game showed up on steam I straight up jumped in. Knowing full well what I do about how bad KT ports are.

Also, right off the bat I'm digging the music, it's just my style.

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The combat is definitely spammier than MonHun but it also feels more deliberate and less cheap-shotty than God Eater. I think it strikes a good middle ground, because all of the weapons have movesets that can get pretty technical if you wanted to. And you probably will if you want to get those all-break bonuses. Because of how the grappling hook, lock on, and moveset mobility/positioning maneuvers all play into each other, Toukiden 2 feels a lot more fluid and more like a character action game than the previous one did. Granted, the Chain-and-Sickle already had that kind of feeling built-in but it's nice to see that kind of fun getting baked into the core gameplay for all weapons.

I agree that the SP companions really do kick an absurd amount of rear end and the campaign is pretty easy because of it. They're all experts at interrupting monsters with the grappling hook and sniping down tough body parts. And they're on-point with purifying stuff and setting down buffs and traps if their mitama has them. I know difficulty purists might scoff buy by golly, it's kind of incredible having AI companions as good as a real player.

Belzac posted:

It will continue to be very talky to the end and I love it.

Same

I'm glad the prologue confirmed the time period the games take place in (Meiji), as I'd suspected but didn't have a way of confirming in the previous one

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Actually, this game is answering a lot of questions I'd had about the Toukiden setting and I'm just a couple chapters in but genuinely interested in the story.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wrist Watch posted:

So what's the open world part referring to then? Just that the individual maps aren't segmented into chunks? Or are we talking actual open world and you can run around exploring, fighting whatever you come across?

It takes the framework of an open world game but directs you through it with a lot of story-related gating so everything feels like distinct zones. But generally you can leave town, wander around, if a Big Monster spawns you can fight it, or you can bugger off and do your own thing. Also there's sidequests you can pick up, sometimes out in the field, and even stumble onto NPCs who need help clearing out a bunch of trash mobs and will temporarily join you as an extra party member when you do. Every place you've "cleared," storywise, relaxes a lot of the exploration restrictions in that zone and opens up a new outpost to fast travel to.

tbh it's pretty interesting as an attempt to reconcile the hunting genre and open world design but the heavily story-driven campaign means that until you fully unlock the whole map, it feels like a more linear experience.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Belzac posted:

The Great Jaggi never discoed me into oblivion.

I believe the phrase is ballerina thunderdome.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I know it's not the most interesting playstyle but I really love the catharsis of setting up a bunch of sword-damage stacks with Fervor-fueled dashing-slash-cancel combo strings and then setting them off by sheathing the sword. Also the big disadvantage with longswords from the last game, a lack of verticality, is less of an issue when you can grapple anywhere and then hit it.

Though trying to do it with a full unity gauge might render even that much moot.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Putting this in spoilers just in case there's someone else out there who actually gives a gently caress:

LOL that the protag apparently has a history of repeated memory loss. Like the first thing you do when you get the chance to talk to Kuyo is say "Help me I've forgotten nearly all my memories." And he's all "Well? What else is new?"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been collecting those lore plates and so help me, I'm actually invested in and curious about the Toukiden setting. In the previous games the Oni were an incomprehensible threat that basically tore apart time, space, and also people/souls and you the player basically have no context besides that because it's the same as everyone else in that world, nobody really knows why the timedemonpocalypse happened, they're just trying to survive it.

And in this game you get recruited by a mad scientist gal who's interested in the super-advanced lost civilization whose ruins only started popping up after said apocalypse happened. Said civilization had mysterious connections to the Oni, provided the basis for her magitech doodads, and from what I can gather, tie heavily into most of the running questions I'd had with regards to the big mysteries of the setting. It makes things feel a little less bleak and helps quantify the extent of the threat the Slayers are facing, which makes them not only comprehensible but also surmountable. I'm still missing some pieces of the puzzle and am filling in the blanks as I go. The lost civilization appear to be the inspiration for the gods of Japanese mythology. They dug too greedily in the search for ultimate power, unleashed time demons in their own Awakening-type calamity, and as far as I can tell were ultimately destroyed by the Oni along with the majority of the rest of the world. But clearly there were enough survivors to try to put things back together. One fragment hinted that some of them figured out the properties of barrier stones and used those to try to re-establish reality and bring back life to the places they could. Another completed tablet mentions that the civ also scattered their best and brightest oni-fighters, the Ark Warriors, across time to wherever and whenever Oni try to appear. Because they're constantly getting shunted across time they have a habit of losing their memories. Though this hits some harder than others.

I'm gonna guess that Kiwami's Oboro and TK2's protag are Ark Warriors. Horo also fits the profile of an amnesiac time traveler who constantly fights Oni. I'm thinking she was one too, but she was also explicitly trained by Oboro when he founded the Slayer/Mononofu order as we know it and I don't exactly know when that was. Though if the Slayers were actually founded by the lost civ and are the descendants of their survivors, that would put the whole "insiders v. outsiders" thing into a new light. Was TK1's protag an amnesiac too? I forget. I don't know if the Ark Warrior thing has anything to do with the multi-mitama talent either. And obviously the Ark Warriors weren't enough to stop the Awakening in the Meiji era, though there's been some foreshadowing that it may have been caused by humans trying to dig into the power of the lost civilization, and it's not like a handful of amnesiac timecops could stand a chance against someone deliberately planning to end the world.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've also gotten careless about upgrading my armor or learning tells since the early game oni are relatively weak and unaggressive.

Then I ran into a Quadbracchium as part of the main storyline and, immediately after that, threw down with everybody's ol' buddy, the Chthonian Fiend. It's always an awkward moment when you run out of Recoveries in the middle of the fight, but at least the revive mechanics are fairly forgiving.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's Fervor and yeah, a lot of weapons benefit from having a mitama with that ability since so many of their specials use up focus meter.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chumbler posted:

I have just finished chapter 1, and this game is actually literally Ghostbusters.

Yes. :science:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

If I just want to ignore the single player and do cool monster hunts with friends, how far along should I play the single player to unlock all the stuff I need? Like the pool is still closed and theres a machine in the professors house that's locked

I'd recommend going far enough to get the material chest upgrades, your starting 300 item cap is barely enough to hold the monster drops through the normal mode MP lobby's required quests.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Is the story at least pretty short? I have basically 0 interest in doing single player monster hunter

Not particularly, though it's easy to get sidetracked. Getting the inventory upgrades is pretty quick though. At least the singleplayer is more like an open-world rpg than traditional monhun, meaning it's a surprisingly different experience from what you're probably expecting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

Any clue where to get soul serum easily?

Purify small Age of Yore demons. In MP/Offline lobbies there's a phase 6 mission that basically has you hunting down three ogres across a big swathe of the Age of Yore you can loot and the only reason to run it is because you didn't unlock that age in the SP storyline yet.

Also another reason to do the story: you get access to free roam throughout all of the Ages and easily find the rare monster spawns. Umbrapods and shadow souls.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, if anybody's curious about stuff like where the crests or inscriptions are and are sick of scouring the map themselves, here's some map guides. Brought to you courtesy of a Japanese fansite by way of someone by the name of Jaragnaros mentioning this in the Steam Community Guides sections. And I figure there's no equivalent for, like, PS4 or anything so here you guys go.

http://ico-friend.com/toukiden2-sirubehibun

Crests are red, inscriptions are blue.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm curious about all the Mitama weapons since I haven't had the chance to make any of them yet.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Ataxerxes posted:

How does the whole reforging process work? Does it result in a random new weapon, or an upgrade?

It's a weapon tree system a la Monster Hunter, so you get the option to turn it into one of the next tier of weapons in its tree. Making a new weapon by a reforge is usually cheaper in terms of resources than crafting the same weapons from scratch, though as Belzac mentioned some weapons can only be obtained by reforges. Fortifying takes your weapon and simply upgrades its stats rather than changing it into a new weapon.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thankfully Fortify ingredients are fairly common so you're not really missing out by upgrading something to like +3 then reforging it. I'd only fortify equipment beyond that if it was at the end of its reforge line or if you think it'll be a while before you get the materials for the upgrade and could use the extra edge.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

EDIT: Welp out of curiosity I went to cross-reference some of the resources getting posted, haphazardly, in the Steam Community discussions.

For example Hatsu's Nikkari Aoe are made from Deluge Knives, made from Scorpioclaw parts.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fgamy.jp%2Ftoukiden2%2FTachi-list On this google translate page, Yagyu Jubei's Miike Tenta sword is machine translated to Mitsuke Mita. And figuring out where to go from there is kind of a pain for me because I'm not brimming with crafting resources to fill out a catalog singlehandedly. I guess Belzac is in a better position to record this than I am but it's a lot to ask one person.

These resources courtesy of this discussion, by steam user JKthree. The japanese reference sites are posted in the comments of this discussion. Deciphering this stuff with only google translate and common sense is not the most convenient way to go about it, but it's going to take the community a while to sort this out and, hey, we're kinda part of the community too come to think of it.

Kild posted:

Where's a good place to farm expert world mats in MP. poo poo like true silver ore.

Every phase should have a mission with a 90 minute duration called something like -Patrol- or -Recovery- sending you to hunt easy mid-size oni, that's where you grab world mats in multiplayer lobbies. Or the singleplayer versions thereof.

Runa fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Mar 28, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chumbler posted:

It took me a bit to get the hang of the chain whip but it's really growing on me. It's not as technical as it seems at first, and the explosions are always satisfying. Using the chain and sickle well still eludes me, though. I always end up throwing it in the wrong direction and dropping my air combos, particularly if I drift behind the target.

I think only knives and naginata are are still a bit unsatisfying. They should've added another trick to those two since they just feel too simple.

Naginata feel perennially underpowered, even with the damage buff to the Circle combo. Knives are kind of funny if you turn on ninja run and nick at people's legs but it also doesn't feel especially powerful. I do like the chain-and-sickle though, with enough Fervor and crit it feels like you can stay in the air forever. I've had the same drifting problem on faster targets though. The Chain Whip strikes me as an odd inclusion in a game that also includes a built-in grapple function, but the kunai mechanics are solidly fun in that "build up stacks, then set them off" kind of way.

I've gotten back into the swing with the Rifle lately and I've been doing the toss grenade, then shoot combo basically all day, everyday. I'm wondering if this is or is not the correct thing to do. Feels great when paired with explosive bullets.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGg_MVYshIk Is the bug @ 44s still in the game?

I'm looking but I'm not seeing an obvious bug. If you're talking about the disappearing severed leg, it's because the oni took enough damage to go into a phase change, and any monster with a regenerating limb phase will do that if there's spare body parts lying around. It's just being delayed from actually finishing that phase change animation because it's being constantly stunlocked until about 1:20.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

he's looping a finisher over and over. you're suppose to do 4 attacks first before it can come out.

Oh, sorry. You mentioned a timestamp and I missed the forest for the trees. A google translate of the video description doesn't give the most enlightening answer on how to perform the bug/exploit, but it does mention an even older bug that isn't repeatable in the main game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Miike Tenta: 433 atk, 66 dex.

Upgrades to 736 atk, 110 dex.

chumbler posted:

I know I should make the mitama weapons, but double murdering them feels dickish.

The mitama themselves are fine, they just give you a chunk of their souls. Like mitosis, except for to hit things with.

Runa fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 30, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wonder what sort of stuff do you get from going deep into the Ruins. I know in Kiwami the survival mode got increasingly difficult and rare monsters would start spawning every interval.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Thanks, guess I'll check the Ruins out.

Me and my friend started looking into deciphering the JP fansites for instructions on building more mitama weapons. I figured out that Kondo Isami's Kotetsu (atk 394, dex 20, poison 130, upgradeable to ark 658 , dex 33, poison 217) is made from the Oni Slicer Mk3, which in turn is made from the Shokuchi Blade. He tells me Siebold's fire SnS is made from the Darkstar (brutebeast) SnS.

EDIT: Akechi Mitsuhide's Wither Petalscatter is made from the poisonous Oni Executor Mk3 rifle, itself made from the Shokuchi Rifle. It looks like a decent chunk of these are derived from Oni Mk. weapons.

chumbler posted:

What is the difference between defense and aegis? I've been just choosing my armor based on appearance, as is the proper way to do it, but it would be good to know what those stats actually do.

Aegis is the regen rate for red health. This is more relevant to people using Support as their main type or Plunder's Heaven's Wrath attack skill so you probably don't need to worry about it too much.

Runa fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 31, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

Isn't it also your characters weight?

Oh, right. But Knockback distance is even less of a big deal imo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh. Fair enough, then.

EDIT: Oh hey, more costume dlc and a mission pack was released already. Well, the stuff's already been out in Japan for a while so it's fair enough that it's basically ready to go.

Runa fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 30, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chumbler posted:

All the characters are starting to grow on me, but Kuyo is still the best. I love that rear end in a top hat.

:yeah:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Uf

Babe Magnet posted:

So I played like half of toukiden 1 and I'm starting to put more time into this one, can I get a clarification on how some things work?

So what does the game mean by "permanent break", what makes it different from regular breaking and purifying the body part? Also, what causes an oni to go into like it's second phase, I thought it would be damage but I've noticed it will happen at different times for the same oni.

The White Dragon armor is so good, it looks cool + is carrying my rear end through this game until something that does water damage shows up and ruins me lol

If you're wondering about monster phases, note that Rampage isn't necessarily the same as a phase change, but an oni in its second phase is usually perma-rampaging. Rampage happens when an oni's defense meter breaks and its body becomes susceptible to actual hp damage. An oni's purple meter is defense, its blue meter is health. You can see them when you bring up Eyes of Truth/witchervision. Pay attention to the state of the meters when an oni regrows its non-perma'd limbs. Usually this happens when the blue meter reaches halfway, which means most oni enter their second phase at 50% damage.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Note that bruteclaws will enter their second phase at like 25% health, so they're almost dead by the time you can wreck them with unity attacks/"Oni Burial".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kild posted:

Are there any Expert Mode only monsters? Kinda annoying going through and only getting reskins with higher stats.

I think that sort of thing happened in Kiwami, but as that was basically a G version and this is just a base game it's all reskins on down.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I have a friend who steadfastly refuses to get a gamepad and has played a distressingly large numbers of KT PC ports with Just Keyboard. I don't know why he's put up with this for so long or how he even manages, but there's a reason why he doesn't use Rifles.

I got an xinput wrapper for my decade-old ps3 controller specifically because KT are such lazy bastards about mouse support.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Internet Friend posted:

Which of the dozen different ways you can attack with the bow are worth using?

The Homing Arrow combined with a boost to Homing damage (like Minamoto no Tametomo's capstone boost, or Surveyance on anyone else) is potentially pretty absurd, and as Tykero mentioned, pairing that with a focus-regain boost of some sort means you're a horn-breaking machine, among other things. The three-quick-nock Arrow Rain thing is decent to regain a lot of focus if you're not proccing as much as you need from the homing hits.

Convergence (boost to single charge shots) builds don't seem quite as strong but the option's there if you wanted to use different mitama builds for utility rather than raw power.

EDIT: Also single charges are more focus-efficient, especially if paired with a fast-charge boost. Against big enough targets, it's probably worth using both, especially since a charge arrow is basically like a piercing bullet. The arrow rain thing is better on small targets.

Runa fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 6, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kamiizumi Nobutsuna also has some curious boosts that actually discourage using Gouge and instead rely on big hits like the triangle charge slash, if you were looking for a different way to play Sword.

The mitama system actually has a lot of stuff going on so it's worth giving your library of boosts a look.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

deadly_pudding posted:

Oni Burial is one of the most satisfying things I've ever seen in a video game. It's really fun seeing which oni have tricks up their sleeves to make up for not having legs any more.

Speaking of Oni Burial, that's the one downside to going all in on Homing Shots with the bow. You build unity gauge faster by doing a large number of small attacks faster, than doing slow and heavy hits like the homing arrow. Incidentally this is why Benizuki, a naginata user, seems to build unity faster than most other NPC helpers.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Thanks for the replies :3:

Looking at the gameplay footage and what you guys said, I guess I should look on it a bit more like a hack-n-slash? The game looks fun nonetheless, don't get me wrong. I enjoy those kinds of games too, I just like to know in advance what I'm getting :v:

Speaking of knowing what you're getting, I just looked at the weapon videos.... there's spears, naginata and fists? Those are literally my three favorite videogame weapons! If those are any good and/or fun to use I might have to buy the game just out of obligation. I mean, I also dig the aesthetic of the game but punching monsters is probably my favorite thing. :swoon:

e: how's the character creator and/or customization options? I live for dress-up games videogame fashion.
e2: also I'm a huge weeb so please tell me there's options for japanese voices (if the game is voiced, that is)

It is very much more like a hack and slash than MH, and arguably more than God Eater too. I feel like the sheer speed and mobility of Toukiden 2 kind of spoils other monster hunting games for me, especially since I've been alternating between this and God Eater 2 recently and in that game it feels like I'm walking on molasses. And the movesets for the different weapon types in this game are really, really interesting to mess around with.

The character creation is... there. It uses the hair and face assets from the Warriors series create-an-officer. It's difficult to make a good looking character that isn't kind of out of place next to the very anime NPCs but I think I manage.

This is a low-budget KT localization job so there's no English VA whatsoever. I wish there were some subtitles or something for in-field callouts, actually.

Despite the flaws this is my favorite monster hunting game!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

"Partial controller support" is an understatement. If you don't have a gamepad you're gonna be frustrated. (There's no mouse support. Some people have managed to emulate a gamepad[?] with their mouse but these are crazy people.)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah, this game has its fair share of technical issues. Koei Tecmo is kind of garbage at PC ports.

On the matter of issues, I've run into a bit of a problem myself. I can't find Tokitsugu in the village for turning in the quest A Bigger Chest 2. I mention this because I forgot to do it until well into the Age of Yore and now I'm worried he's gone.

EDIT: Oh, he's able to be interacted with after beating the normal-difficulty campaign, I was getting worried for a minute there.

Runa fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 7, 2017

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm kinda curious, what's the original name of the unit the translation calls Guards? I know the Samurai are just the Samurai. If it's just a word meaning "Guards" I'm still curious what the actual word is since I seem to not quite be able to hear it clearly in cutscenes and dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Good luck, Your Computer. If you need to get a refund then that's just how it goes.

The Moon Monster posted:

How many new big monsters does this game have?

Not including recolors, I counted eight new monsters that weren't in Kiwami.

• Locked thread