Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm pretty interested in this, especially if it does actually do what Toukiden promised and failed to deliver on (mostly I'll just forever be upset about PHANTOM LIMBS), but I really hope the PC port is better than the garbage fire that was the Kiwami one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Emalde posted:

God Eater has some hosed up poo poo and I love it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPF62zTK6Qs

Call me a filthy weeb with terrible taste with music but to me original GE flavor No Way Back is my favorite song in any hunting genre game, and is actually pretty high up in my overall faves. (Out of my Way version is also quite good, of course.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ldFN0nb464

The entire soundtrack from both games is really drat good in general. Lots of memorable tracks, and of course you can never forget I WILL WIN

In actual Toukiden news, I got the game and man this new Control Mitama type seems incredibly good? Dunno if it's quite good enough to pull me away from my love of GAMBLING but it's real nice. Of the two new weapons it definitely feels like Charge Bl- sorry, sword and shield got quite a lot of love. I really like the big pilebunker finisher, but I have a lot of trouble landing the full 4 different hits combo from guard form in any kind of real fight. Any tips, or should I just settle for the weaker version unless I'm slamming something that's stunned?

Also the AI seems obnoxiously good in this game, to the point where I'm actually seriously considering only taking one, maybe two AIs at a time tops so things aren't entirely trivial.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I like how having three Mitama slots really opens up a lot of insane combinations even super early on. There is a lot you can do with 9 skills!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Moon Monster posted:

I'll probably get this eventually but I really wish they had released it a few months from now. I will say I kind of burned out on Kiwami since it felt like once you got to the Kiwami content everything became a massive damage sponge.

Good news, since this game doesn't have a G-version yet the game ends right before the "Kiwami" content would begin! For better or for worse!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The difficulty remains spam-like if you bring a full party because your AI party members are incredibly overcompetent and make everything a lot easier. Dialing it down to one companion or even two balances things out quite a bit. It'll never be quite as weighty and deliberate as MH, just not that kinda game, but it can be made to require more effort from the player. Also yeah the Naginata is one of the spammier weapons, if you'd use something like the Club or Fists it takes a bit more focus. Naginata and Daggers are the two big NEVER EVER STOP MASHING BUTTONS weapons, pretty much everything else is a bit more deliberate.

Me, I've never cared for these games being difficult, I'll keep rolling with all my AIs and have my fun by horribly bullying monsters. Edax's are HILARIOUS when you rip out both their legs and all they can do is roll around flailing.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tykero posted:

I know you can use the Demon Hand to grappling-hook towards an enemy, and when that gauge fills up you can use it to pull off a body part. What's this about "interrupting" a monster with it?

When a monster is doing a "charge" attack, denoted by them generally charging forward, always covered in red lightning poo poo, you can grapple them and it'll knock them out of the charge and put them flat on their rear end-analogue. You've probably seen your AI companions do it a bunch of times and just never realized it because they are REALLY GOOD at doing so.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oh NO. I just got a mail that included a special crafting material... Which I got from maxing a Mitama. This means there are specific cool weapons hidden behind maxing out specific Mitama. And this doesn't seem to marked anywhere.

I'm not completely paralyzed by the knowledge any one of my like couple dozen Mitamas could be hiding a sweet pair of daggers if I only max them out...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Emalde posted:

Extremely Important Japanese Historical or Mythological Figures, and the mitama you get from maxing your npc s-links

That's still kinda vague since like half the Mitamas seem to qualify for extremely important! Like the one I got was the one for Yagyu Jubei, who doesn't SEEM like that big of a deal from his bio? But now I'm wondering if, say, Goemon has one because he SEEMS like he's more mythologically important than Jubei. But just like WHO KNOWS.

Also I assume that the NPC Mitamas give weapons of the same class as their character which makes me sad that I have no one using daggers (yet?). And yet TWO RIFLE USERS.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rHlmIxSXnA&t=109s
lol if you havent learned all your japanese mythology from video games

I mean obviously anyone who was in Samurai Warriors would qualify I just don't have a whole lot of those yet.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

CuddlyZombie posted:

I'm doing the chapter 1 quest "Ruins Survey - Peace -", in which I'm supposed to kill an Ogre and a Windshredder, but the ogre never spawns, and the quest is impossible to complete. Is anyone else getting this?

Edit: Restarting the game fixed it.

Sometimes quests just fail to spawn monsters at random. It's quite bizarre.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hydrocodone posted:

I'm enjoying this, apart from the PC's always-on mic problem. But I don't understand more than 1% of what's going on. I skimmed the thread for answers, but sorry if I missed things I'm about to ask.

When my weapon gauge is full, what's the difference between ripping a limb off with my demon hand or blasting it off with my triangle+circle move?

What are the ways to totally remove a part, where not even a ghostly version of it remains? And when you do that, are you limiting your ability to actually hurt them since there isn't a ghost limb to hit?

Is rampage when the oni turns purple-pink?

What are the oni's two status bars I can see with my spirit vision? The second seems to be HP, but I can't work out the first.

Is there a good "workflow" for choosing your 3 mitama? Right now I pick one, read through all my others to try and find enough active boosts to get full value, and usually have to go back and choose a new first and read through everything again. Maybe that's because I don't have enough variety of mitama. I have about 10.

1- There are two separate gauges, the colorful one with your weapon icon on it and the blue bar on the left. The colorful one gives you the triangle + circle attack which merely removes a monster part, revealing the ghost part beneath. The bar gives you the ability to pull off a monster part and FULLY destroy it, which alters the monsters moveset quite a lot. Only certain parts can be fully removed, they're the ones that are highlighted when you prepare the pull-off attack.

2- See above

3- Rampage is when the sky turns red.

4- The first gauge is how much HP they have before going into Rampage.

5- As you get more Mitama obviously your choices expand. I'd say pick your weapon Mitama first because it defines a lot of your playstyle, and then select your other two based around it. If you only have 10 or so Mitama right now don't worry about it too much, the system becomes more obvious to use as you get more Mitama and the synergies become more evident.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

big nipples big life posted:

Top health bar is the oni's body status, basically a shield. If you knock that all the way down then any attack will damage the oni's health, otherwise the only way to damage health is to hit phantom limbs.

Well that certainly explains why it always felt inconsistent to me I was completely wrong about what it was.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hey, is the maximum materials chest size supposed to be 1100? Due to a weird series of events I think I completed the third expansion quest (blue ore) before the second one (silver grass) and now I'm stuck with the silver grass in my inventory permanently and my max material chest size is 1100, and I have no idea if this is a bug or the accurate size. I assume it's the max size because the carpenter guy said that it'd be the last expansion I'd get, but I have no idea if that's enough to fit in all possible materials.

Then again I haven't even broken 300 different materials yet so it might be fine even if its busted.

Edit: I'm mostly worried about the possibility of it being a bug due to the materials chest expansions being broken in Kiwami PC for a while.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man I'm normally not a fan of the Gauntlets. They're too slow and boring and their main cool move requires such a massive window to reach full effectiveness that it often felt kinda blah.

Then I used Gauntlets with Mirage and a bunch of atk speed improving boosts. This is just unfair to the monsters. If I'm in my full combo of skills I can do the entire flurry combo in about 2 or 3 seconds? It's ridiculous. I'm not even FULLY specced for this.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Of course the first exception I find to the rule of a Mitama that gives a weapon skill also gives a weapon material is the one Mitama I have that has a daggers skill. Depressing. I have like 4 goddamn Mitamas with Naginata skills, fucks sakes, give me more dagger poo poo.

Then again I haven't been able to actually craft any of these Mitama weapons yet anyways so I suppose it's mostly irrelevant for now.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Maybe it's cuz I'm bad but even at normal rank Aurogrinders gently caress me up every time. Their attacks really loving hurt and a lot of them have really short tells that make it hard to dodge.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Another weapon I was super down about originally was the plain ol' Spear, but with the right boosts (spear-specific boosts REALLY help it, especially anything to do with Flurry) it's probably the best non-ranged weapon for dealing with annoying small body parts like the chest armor on the wacky arm birds and the like. Plus once you stack up enough charge speed and attack speed boosts on Flurry it gets REALLY funny, and the spear has one of the most solid non-focus using movesets in the game, which makes them really good for extended engagements IMHO. Really, as I play around with all the weapon the more I find I like them all, they just need the right kind of setup. Usually "the right kind of setup" means things to improve attack speed, IMHO.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I'm a little annoyed about how the plot DOES NOT CHILL from like the end of chapter 4 until the very end. I have so many sidequests but the plot keeps pushing me forward... I guess I'll just have a lot to catch up on in the post-game. Like there's three whole Ages that I'll have to get around to exploring afterwards!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Bussamove posted:

It took MH four generations to add more verticality via mounting, then 2kiden just went and nicked the thorn from Freedom Wars, the one thing that game did well. :v:

I'd love to see that system expanded more. Go whole hog and give us different God Hand styles as well as mitama types. Though with offensive and defensive skills that might be too much stuff to keep track of.

Hey now, Freedom Wars also had an interesting setting! That's TWO whole things that weren't abysmal about it!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Xarbala posted:

I'd recommend going far enough to get the material chest upgrades, your starting 300 item cap is barely enough to hold the monster drops through the normal mode MP lobby's required quests.

While that's true it bears mentioning that there are quite a few Mitama locked behind story progression, as well as the Blacksmith that can enhance your gear to +12. Honestly doing all the story is probably recommended.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

chumbler posted:

Anyone else pick weapons based on what fits with their armor? Like sword and shield for heavy stuff, naginata or bow for lighter, etc. or is that just a dumb thing I do?

I do it the other way around, personally. If I decide to play around with a different weapon I'll get a specific armor type for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Babe Magnet posted:

I choose my weapon and armor type depending on what I'm going to fight

That seems like way too much effort especially considering the whole open world thing.

• Locked thread