Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

ArmZ posted:

lol if you don't automatically think "tossed salad and scrambled eggs" when you hear the word frasier

quite stylish :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Tumble posted:

Fraiser is basically The Big Bang Theory but with fancy people instead of nerds..

Fancy blackface. Fancyface.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Ein cooler Typ posted:

actually you're wrong

Cheers is cool and good

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
the episode where Frasier tries to bone that actress under the stage at a kid's play then rises up onto the stage on a giant bed dressed as a baby was one of the best instances of television comedy i've ever seen

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SilvergunSuperman posted:

No way buddy, Roz's general demeanor let you know she's the kind of chick that would let you get real loving dirty.

Plus that voice.

I was sad when Roz's character died in Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
chesty

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Vakal posted:

I was sad when Roz's character died in Final Fantasy: Spirits Within.

I've tried to watch that movie three times and fell asleep 20 minutes in every single time.

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/boston-clanger-comic-simon-hanselmann

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I like the episode where they buy the caviar straight from the dealer and then act like drug dealers for rich snobs.

"What if we cut it with some generic beluga?" lol

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln
My favorite episode is the one where Martin accidentally ate Niles' pot brownie. Then Niles ate a normal brownie thinking it was a pot brownie. Martin had the genius idea to dip BBQ potato chips in chocolate pudding. Then he thought Eddie was talking to him.

Shizmo
Feb 2, 2010

JUICED TO THE GILLS
It's literally my favorite show. If the world had more Frasiers and Niles in it, I would hate fewer people.

Anyone who doesn't think Frasier is the greatest show ever is contributing to the bolshevisation of America.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Shizmo posted:

It's literally my favorite show. If the world had more Frasiers and Niles in it, I would hate fewer people.

Anyone who doesn't think Frasier is the greatest show ever is contributing to the bolshevisation of America.

*bark bark* lmao get a load of this guy *honk honk*

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've got a friend who laughs harder at Frasier than any other comedy.

Like, I enjoy Frasier but I've never considered it to be the gut buster of comedy that my friend clearly did.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
Frasier was called the smartest show on television but when you go back and watch it there's nothing intelligent at all. The references are easy to understand if you didn't drop out of high school and the jokes and plots aren't much more advanced or clever than something like Threes Company. It doesn't help that Frasier is a psychopathic manchild.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Let us English posted:

Frasier was called the smartest show on television but when you go back and watch it there's nothing intelligent at all. The references are easy to understand if you didn't drop out of high school and the jokes and plots aren't much more advanced or clever than something like Threes Company. It doesn't help that Frasier is a psychopathic manchild.

it was probably the smartest sitcom because sitcoms are returded

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i remember thinking it was consistently funny but a lot of that was probably me being retarded as a child and more retarded as an adult

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

Pretty much this. I really only watch it when I'm drinking and don't feel like thinking a lot about what's on.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There are way fewer cringe-worthy "it was a different time back then" moments in Frasier than any other sitcom from the era.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I watched Frasier for the first time ever in my late 20's (marathonning it while packing boxes for a move) and I was surprised that I'd never given the show a proper chance. it's incredibly snappy with a dry wit, well-telegraphed, and brutally sarcastic. The self-aware joke of the entire show is that both the Crane brothers are complete hypocrites who do the exact opposite of their own advice, and then they get confused as to why they're always bungling up their chances with the ladies.

Like a fine wine, it holds up incredibly well. It's easily within the top 5 sitcoms of all time.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cheers looked pretty bad but I think Ted Dansen is funny as gently caress nowadays, I wish Bored to Death was just about his character and not loving Jason Schwartzmann

Also ppst Roz pics already

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kandinsky's some sweet loving art tho look him up

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

im the episode where everything just goes wrong!!

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
It holds up better than Seinfeld or Friends for sure.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
I got about halfway through making a game ROM from scratch for the NES that was a platformer based on Frasier as a satire of all the weird tie-in games of that era that end up having a vague relationship with their source material at best. But then I figured nobody else would find the concept as amusing as I did so I stopped working on it.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

checks out

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

There are way fewer cringe-worthy "it was a different time back then" moments in Frasier than any other sitcom from the era.

Even the 'whoops, X thinks Y is gay, hilarity ensues' are surprisingly acceptable these days, compared to what the norm of the time would be.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Hyde Pierce is a good surname for a gay man.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

KomodoWagon posted:

It's weird that I'm the only one I've ever heard of who liked Frasier but hated Cheers.

Cheers sucked rear end, hard. Every character is either bland or grating. The jokes suck. Ted Danson's face is punchable as gently caress, and I swear to god even just remembering that frizzy Italian bitch's voice makes me want to kill myself and everyone around me. The jokes sucked, the writing required you to invest yourself in boring, garbage people whom it is impossible to genuinely root for. The only good thing that came out of Cheers was Frasier, and even his character was boring and horrible in Cheers. I loving HATE CHEERS

I'm on board with this. I was that weird kid who is really into old timey sitcoms (I loving loved M*A*S*H* as a kid) but cheers... Ugh it just felt so grating and forced.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

biznatchio posted:

I got about halfway through making a game ROM from scratch for the NES that was a platformer based on Frasier as a satire of all the weird tie-in games of that era that end up having a vague relationship with their source material at best. But then I figured nobody else would find the concept as amusing as I did so I stopped working on it.

Hi Im recruiting a team to develop "cheers:tactics" on this same premise please send your resume to myuncle@nintendo.com

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I wonder what ever happened to Bulldog on the show?

He was in pretty much every episode for a few season then just disappeared with no explanation that I can remember.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.
This show still makes me laugh. It just does farce so well.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Vakal posted:

He was in pretty much every episode for a few season then just disappeared with no explanation that I can remember.

I think he still showed up but like season 6 onwards they were hardly ever in the studio so I guess there wasn't much for him to do. Like even Roz showed up less for a little bit iirc but she at least had stuff to do outside the studio whereas nobody actually hung out with Bulldog

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Every plot was 'rather than admit something or confess I'm wrong like an adult, I will construct an elaborate farce involving lies and manipulation in an effort to save face'

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I mean it was pretty obvious that Frasier and Niles were Larry David-style misanthropes and you were supposed to laugh at how clueless they are despite being all sophisticated

I liked the one where they got banned from their favorite store for complaining about the price of dog food or whatever

Also Brian Cox as Daphne's father was great, always fun to hear him speak in his natural accent

e: o yah Robbie Coltrane as Daphne's brother was hilarious too

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Cheers S1 - S5: great

Cheers S6 - whatever: don't loving bother

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Cosmik Slop posted:

Cheers S1 - S5: great

Cheers S6 - whatever: don't loving bother

Nah. Watch the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Vakal posted:

IIRC, he ended up getting fired or laid off, then comes back in a later season as an intern.

One of the best Bulldog moments was when he kept pranking Frasier, so Frasier comes up with this elaborate scheme by having a bunch of actors playing zombies in the basement where Bulldog works. Only when Bulldog gets scares, he pulls out a gun and everybody thinks he's killed the actors.

Edit: he didn't come back as an intern, he was a stock boy or something.