Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hard counter posted:

i watched kelsey be a guest on a late night talk show once and his anecdotes were solely about staffing issues in his 2nd mansion's kitchen

playing frasier for 3 decades probably wasn't very demanding

he (and niles and martin) made a shitload of money on that show. millions an episode.

meanwhile the ladies were only getting five figures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I started rewatching at s3 because he didn't have clown hair in the thumbnails and it's been really good so far, lots of classic episodes

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
loose meat sandwiches

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

crane stole from a blind black man

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Harald posted:

loose meat sandwiches

Frasier would never eat at the Lanford Lunch Box.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

abscond

ab·scond
əbˈskänd/
verb
to leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection of or arrest for an unlawful action such as theft.

synonyms:
run away, escape, bolt, flee, make off, take flight, take off, decamp

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

:bape::bape::bape:

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Ocean's Fifteen lookin good.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

You've got to love the bald mullet he rocked in the '80s. Depression in the rront, desperation in the back.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Bogus Adventure posted:

You've got to love the bald mullet he rocked in the '80s. Depression in the rront, desperation in the back.

Excuse me caller I prefer to think of it as dealing with it in the front and not giving a gently caress in the back. And if you won't stick to the topic I'm afraid I'm going to have to cut you off. Next caller!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

scuba school sucks posted:

Excuse me caller I prefer to think of it as dealing with it in the front and not giving a gently caress in the back. And if you won't stick to the topic I'm afraid I'm going to have to cut you off. Next caller!

This made me laugh out loud at work. Well done.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

he (and niles and martin) made a shitload of money on that show. millions an episode.

meanwhile the ladies were only getting five figures

high 5 figures an episode isn't baaaad for TV since that'll net you a couple million or so a season and that show ran for 11 but yeah, hollywood salary differentials can be intense for a long running show, iirc Kelsey's net-worth is around 125 mill and that's mostly frasier money since at one point he was making 1.6 mill an episode, about double what david hyde pierce was getting; meanwhile charlie sheen got 1.8 mill an episode for two and a half men :psyduck:

for reference sean astin was paid 250k for a couple years work in essentially a co-starring role for the LOTR trilogy despite not being a new actor that took a paycut for a breakout role by that point

Bogus Adventure posted:

:lol:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

cool new Polack jokes posted:

abscond

ab·scond
əbˈskänd/
verb
to leave hurriedly and secretly, typically to avoid detection of or arrest for an unlawful action such as theft.

synonyms:
run away, escape, bolt, flee, make off, take flight, take off, decamp

I'd actually use the word 'absquatulate' which is a real word and awesome.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Huh. Well I'll be, not what I expected::

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_paid_American_television_stars

I didn't realize "Everybody loves Raymond" warranted such a large salary. Probably because it sucks rear end.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Huh. Well I'll be, not what I expected::

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest_paid_American_television_stars

I didn't realize "Everybody loves Raymond" warranted such a large salary. Probably because it sucks rear end.

It hits all of the same family friendly, christian-approved "nice cleanish humor" static daytime TV demo groups similarly which made Oprah a billionaire and a religious figure for her demo group.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
His wife was a shrew, everyone can relate to that!

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

looks like lannisters can actually always pay their debts :eyepop:

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
lol and that's not even talking about the sweet sweet residual money the actors get every time an episode plays somewhere

if you're on a popular TV show that goes a bunch of seasons, you get fat paid for year and year and years after it's done

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Hello! I hope you are having a nice day!
"NILES!!!!!!!!!!!!"
-Frasier, from Frasier

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Frasier is great because he and Niles are such extraordinarily awful people most of the time. It's like Always Sunny with rich socialites and sherry instead of undereducated poor people and beer.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

us vs also us posted:

"NILES!!!!!!!!!!!!"
-Frasier, from Frasier

I love that episode!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Tumble posted:

lol and that's not even talking about the sweet sweet residual money the actors get every time an episode plays somewhere

Rolling in that sweet sweet Pirate Bay cash

Swagman
Jun 10, 2003

Yes...all was once again peaceful in River City.

us vs also us posted:

"NILES!!!!!!!!!!!!"
-Frasier, from Frasier

oo ducktuh craane

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

Swagman posted:

oo ducktuh craane

GRRR, NILES!!! *Frasier begins frothing and barking like a dog, gets down on all fours and tears around the apartment. Their small dog Sparky lies died, assuredly at Frasier's hand*

us vs also us
Jul 8, 2007

"Frasier! Nooo!!" The old man screams. It is the last thing he'll do

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Tumble posted:

if you're on a popular TV show that goes a bunch of seasons, you get fat paid for year and year and years after it's done

yeah even jane leeves walked away with a cool 20+ mill from frasier before residuals for essentially 11 seasons of telling bizarre stories about growing up in the UK

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

hard counter posted:

yeah even jane leeves walked away with a cool 20+ mill from frasier before residuals for essentially 11 seasons of telling bizarre stories about growing up in the UK

The fact that she has like 4 brothers and both parents and every one of them has a completely different accent must drive actual Brits watching the show insane.

When I was a kid I wondered why Frasier and Niles were Americans but spoke with British accents :v:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Kelp Me! posted:

When I was a kid I wondered why Frasier and Niles were Americans but spoke with British accents :v:

That's the mid-Atlantic accent :eng101:

So yes, essentially Americans trying to talk like hoity toity brits

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

Hey Three Olives if you're reading this, how authentic are these guys?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I only ever watched frasier re-runs so I probably saw <50% of the episodes but is the show actually good enough to do a rewatch

my time is literally worthless if that is a factor in your determination, thank you.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

cool new Polack jokes posted:

That's the mid-Atlantic accent :eng101:

So yes, essentially Americans trying to talk like hoity toity brits

What does mid-Atlantic entail? Because I've lived my whole life on the east coast and never heard anyone speak like that :confused:

e: oh ok

Wikipedia posted:

Spoken mostly in the early twentieth century, it is not a vernacular American accent native to any location, but an affected set of speech patterns whose "chief quality was that no Americans actually spoke it unless educated to do so". The accent is, therefore, best associated with the American upper class, theater, and film industry of the 1930s and 1940s, largely taught in private independent preparatory schools especially in the American Northeast and in acting schools.The accent's overall usage sharply declined following World War II.

so literally "English for people who think a British accent indicates class/wealth/education" lol, I guess it makes perfect sense that Frasier and Niles sound like Americans badly performing Shakespeare

e: I wonder if either Martin or more appropriately Daphne ever made fun of their accent/vocabulary. Martin would be more likely to take the piss, but I imagine that any actual Brit would crack up hearing that accent IRL for the first time.

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 24, 2017

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Space Crabs posted:

I only ever watched frasier re-runs so I probably saw <50% of the episodes but is the show actually good enough to do a rewatch
my time is literally worthless if that is a factor in your determination, thank you.

Its good enough if you're just whiling away the hours before the release of death. May as well have some dry chuckles and a couple of hearty laughs eh?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dirty Frank posted:

Its good enough if you're just whiling away the hours before the release of death. May as well have some dry chuckles and a couple of hearty laughs eh?

Having kept either Law & Order: SVU, Cops/Jail/Gangland or Bar Rescue on as background TV noise for so long I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of all of them, Frasier is a much more pleasant choice

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Kelp Me! posted:

e: I wonder if either Martin or more appropriately Daphne ever made fun of their accent/vocabulary. Martin would be more likely to take the piss, but I imagine that any actual Brit would crack up hearing that accent IRL for the first time.

martin's backstory is that he fell in love with an upper class woman (the brothers def take after their mom) so maybe he secretly thinks that accent is hot as gently caress on women :circlefap:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Kelp Me! posted:

Bar Rescue on as background TV noise
:stonk:

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm pretty sure I've seen every episode of all of them
Even the one with the bar owner who murdered one of his patrons (it might have been a musical guest performer)? It aired once by accident, I was able to find it later, though. After seeing it I was not at all surprised that he killed someone. It made the false turning over a new leaf thing he does at the end seem even more hosed up. :stare:

Kelp Me! posted:

Frasier is a much more pleasant choice

Frasier is almost soothing by comparison. No loving around with a stupid opening theme song. Just a little music sting over the Seattle skyline. Kelsey Grammer does have a great voice so there's that. I don't think I could listen to Taffer talk without seeing what he's gesticulating to. "THIS IS A DISGRACE!!!" What's a disgrace?? "THAT'S SOMEBODY'S DAUGHTER" Who?? :confused:

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play

Kelp Me! posted:

Does this one count? It's John Mahoney, doing a (more) American accent, imitating someone with an Essex accent who's doing a Manchester accent.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Kelp Me! posted:

The fact that she has like 4 brothers and both parents and every one of them has a completely different accent must drive actual Brits watching the show insane.

As a Brit, what drives me the point of saying 'tut!' is that none of those 5 people have an accent that is even vaguely like a British accent.

Even Daphne, despite being British with a normal accent in real life, speaks with something from the Dick Van Dyke school of acting.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

spog posted:

As a Brit, what drives me the point of saying 'tut!' is that none of those 5 people have an accent that is even vaguely like a British accent.

I remember reading that none of the brothers were actually from England, so it's not surprising.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

lol watching an episode now and it's dr. cox from scrubs reminiscing about how he used to rip on niles for being foofy in high school

e: oh lame Niles turned it around by psychoanalyzing him and now he's crying, man up dr. cox :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just wait! Diedrich Bader is Roz's date in one of my favorite episodes! The one where Frasier and Niles buy a restaurant.