Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Come on, one of you formulate a scene wherein the family reacts to the death of the queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I want to be hopeful, but I cant see it coming within even 70% as good as the original. Literally everything about current culture is begging to be parodied but no one seems to be able to nail it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Few things make me cringe as badly as the Crane boys suggesting lines for Martin's song for Frank Sinatra

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My wife, (doesn't like Frasier, likes reality TV, tiktok and youtubers) accused me of a "fuedian slip" yesterday :negative:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The Simpsons Cape Feare episode came out 2 years prior to Leapin Lizards, with Bulldog pranking Frasier into singing 3 Little Maids which the Simpsons sing in that episode. I wonder if it inspired that bit.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I started watching Frasier because Sideshow Bob was my favorite Simpsons character. It's funny, my favorites are all the evil republicans, him, Burns, Kent Brockman

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Rappaport posted:

Niles is very much Frasier turned up to 11.

We need a Frinkiac for Frasier so I can quickly grab a gif of Niles looking into the camera in court about the cooky old train guy

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I understand Niles kicking the poo poo out of Simon but why is the other enemy Bobby Bacala?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

To have only been able to be present at the writers table for Ski Lodge. Or the table read. Just absolute genius

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

October 12th

https://fb.watch/mACP1-ptfB/

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

TV movie?

We all know the new season is gonna be bad. I just hope this thread can churn enough comedy out of making fun of it to be worthwhile.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You think DHP and Bulldog's Real Name ever hooked up?

Considering there have only been 2 or maybe 3 funny shows that came after it, I think you could ease up a little on the later seasons.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'll spoiler it I guess but some fundamental info about the reboot:

Its set in Boston, thats already been said. Freddie apparently has taken more after his grandfather, and Frasier has moved back to Boston after Martin's death to try and reconnect with his son, which is a prospect Freddie isn't all that interested in. Niles and Daphne's son has also followed Frasier to Boston.

There is a character who is a friend of Frasier who teaches at Harvard, as well as another who is head of said school's psych department and is trying to convince Frasier to teach there. There is a regular bar that is featured, called Mahoney's, which is a nice touch.

Still think it would be naive to get hopes up but I'm a little warmer to the idea after reading that bit of info.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I haven't learned my lesson from the new Indy, I'm going to watch it. I just hope it's not turn it off before the first episode is over bad.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sometimes I think about why the Simpsons were so much better in the beginning. Part of it was the emotional aspect, there were some moments that held weight in that regard, think of the ending of When Flanders Failed for example. Frasier doesn't have a ton of those moments but there are some. I suppose it isn't really a prerequisite for making something funny, but it definitely elevates the show to another level.

Safe money is on the show being bad, I really hope its not, but I think the proof is in the pudding. That they've abandoned the core cast who played such a huge role in making the show great (hopefully thats just a red herring and they just have kept it under wraps- unlikely in todays world of online leaks), thats a big red flag. Then when you think about who Kelsey is as a person, and the absolute stinkers he's attached his name to in recent years. Doesn't fill me with confidence that he or certainly any executives would bother to try and hold this version to any sort of high standard, as long as the money comes. We'll see

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Doc's pal is mock gal

I'd really love to interview DHP and even, sorry I forget Bulldogs real name, about how they felt about said jokes and their impressions of the LGBT movement and how far its come since then

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I absolutely adore googling Frasier Blu Ray and not seeing a single result from Canada, consider ordering from Amazon US and then thinking about the process of having to insert a loving disc to watch it every time. How in motherfucking 2023 can they not release it on loving digital?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm usually an HD snob but after watching Frasier as I have over the last 10 years, I'm more willing to concede for comfort.

I didn't know Plex could do playlists, can you set it up to shuffle multiple shows? I've often considered setting up an always-on display for this purpose

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://youtu.be/aorUJlAPdbc?si=BsNlPt5cm4u4Cyns

Maybe my impression is tainted by being aware of his real life politics. But something about this gives me almost a... whatever the name of that evil faced televangelist is vibe

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

He's one of the more famous ones, he looks like when the bad guy in The Mask puts on the mask.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Post-Frasier, you have, what? Brooklyn 99, Parks & Rec. I've watched two seasons almost of the Office waiting for it to get good. Any other worthwhile sitcoms?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was 16 when the show went off the air and I was much too ignorant of a child to bother with a show like this. So it was a bit of a thrill to see new episodes at about the same time as everyone else. I have to admit, I sat there with a stupid smile on my face the whole time. Be pretty naive to expect Ski Lodge quality episodes but there were plenty of laughs for me, especially weighed against the general quality of, oh, basically all forms of television and film being excreted in recent times.

The David character is pretty bad, but plenty of runway to be redeemed. I'm not torn up over the englishman and the other Harvard lady, but their jokes weren't all bad. There were flashes of good writing, the last line in the second episode was well done I thought.

I really had low expectations, but I'm hopeful now for the rest.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cemetry Gator posted:

David feels like a less funny Sheldon.

Easy now, lets not say things we cant take back. You cant subtract from zero.

You kinda get the feeling that Kelsey demanded 90% of the casting budget and thats why there isn't a familiar face in the bunch. I'm not all that fond of this professor and you feel like there are plenty of established septuagenarians who would have been more charming as Frasier's old friend. One of my standout moments from the original is Frasier meeting with his old professor and their exchange (how would you know?) and Frasier's eventual breakdown. Imagine, oh, a John Lithgow in that role. And make him someone more respectable than what we've been shown so far.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I have a sort of morbid curiosity to watch that poo poo just cause he's in it. Hell, I started watching Frasier because Sideshow Bob was my favorite Simpsons character.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I feel like David would be a better character if there had been no big bang theory. I get Bebe vibes from the Harvard administrator.

The third episode was good, I'm really surprised at the writing. I think though this would be genuinely great though if a couple characters had been replaced by alums.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Idc my favorite line is still "he was eminent when my eminence was merely, imminent"

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You get teases of quality writing ("now to where I'm in my element- the table of elements") but the non-Frasier characters all feel sort of made for modern audiences and that isn't a compliment. That feels a little harsh as I think we'll all agree the show is far exceeding expectations, but it still could have been better.

Freddie must be Weird Al's son or something is he?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'd say this episode was my least favorite so far. The thing that really gets me is how unnatural most of the acting feels, like its too obvious that its filmed live in front of a crowd, and the supporting cast does nothing to hide that fact. I dont know why they decided Frasier needed a full time sidekick, besides, we all knew no one could replace DHP. I just feel theres no depth to Alan or Olivia, the latter being too cartoonish in everything she does. Alan just isn't very interesting or funny at all. I suppose, in reflection of that thought, we had Bebe who was a full on caricature, but who was only featured now and then, not every episode.

I figured David would turn out to be gay. Might have been a little on the nose though. Would have been a nice nod to DHP and Dan Butler, and a peace offering for some of the moments from the original that have aged poorly. Then again, maybe not. I suppose Kelsey is a republican after all so he probably wasn't going to have any of that.

I also cant stop thinking Freddie looks like Weird Al.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

As soon as I start winding down, Kelsey pulls out the biggest bag of cocaine for personal use that you've ever seen, and the night is just getting started.

For some reason I see him doing the "she makes my heart go hidey hadey" motion while doing this. God that scene makes me cringe so hard

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The synopsis for the next 2 episodes is already on IMDb. Looks like we're getting an alum appearance this week. Are there really only 10 episodes scheduled for this season?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

poo poo bag.

Amazing how Niles vicariously redeemed the David character with the "send me to trade school" line.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It's good by modern standards but doesn't compare to even late original Frasier. I'd be ok with more though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I dont think I could ever consume enough Frasier to want to also consume wine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cam Winston would be a throwaway forgotten character without Kelsey's delivery of his name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Took in my first orchestral performance tonight, and I couldn't help laugh every now and then looking at the conductor thinking "now that's what good conducting can do".

Not to mention I'm in Quebec, so when I passed a liquor store and saw the "Rhum" category I nearly burst out laughing as well.