Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

mojo1701a posted:

Too bad Tim Allen's a conservative shithead. I like him as an actor enough (I may just be thinking of Galaxy Quest).

Should've called it Fool Time.

Conservative shithead who got busted trying buy a massive amount of coke. And got off cause he ratted on all his compatriots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

oldpainless posted:

Niles is a really sad and pathetic character.

He was, even after he got Daphne he was.

Like how he never saw her weight gain and refused to see her as a real person, only as the fantasy he built up in his mind.

Come to think of it they never had much meaningful interaction prior to her finding out his secret obsession.

He was the gooniest character when you think of it.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
What's the point. The best episodes had Niles.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Niles in the show but only by mention from other characters.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

what the gently caress is real life

Cafes, French restaurants, dinner parties and the opera.

90s TV gave me unrealistic expectations for how many dinner parties I'd have to throw as an adult.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Most of the first season is a bummer but there's some classic Frasier gold in the last few episodes.

I'd start with roadtrip episode up to the season finale as the only ones really worth watching. There is some character building in the earlier episodes but nothing that wouldn't be picked up along the show.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I don't care for the look of this reboot. I get the feeling it's gonna be a broad sitcom playing to the lowest common denominator.
Also I concur without Niles what's the point. When I look back at my favorite episodes they all had Niles.

Actually I probably would have preferred a solo Niles spin-off over solo Frasier.

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1694013151514153342?s=20

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 22, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I've no idea what life in pieces is in. But the bar shot did remind me of the set from How I Met Your Mother and I guess that's why.

For a show I liked when I was younger HIMYM has not aged well. There was a lot of humor and plots that were rapey in retrospect, it would not have survived being aired during the metoo era.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I don't think so. There's a few times she's popped into cafe nervosa to and chatted with a character for some brief exposition before heading rear of stage to meet her friends played by extras. But as far as times we've seen her on screen with friends, from what i remember, it's been that one episode with those two, and a separate episode with her Asian friend that Martin has a creepy crush on because of his time in the Korean war.

There's probably more instances of friends showing up around the wedding but I don't remember those episodes as well. I tend to drop off on re-watches around that time most of it drags after that.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
The last thing I saw close to a sitcom was Kevin Can F**k Himself, which was more of a dark deconstruction of the premise.
The last straight up sitcoms I remember were Fresh of the Boat, and Young Sheldon, which were last decade pre-pandemic.
I couldn't name a single post covid sitcom.

Just had a look at what NBC is offering because they're sure to have sitcoms.
They have Lopez v Lopez, a vanity project for George Lopez and his daughter playing fictionalized versions of themselves.
Kenan, a vanity project for Kenan Thompson playing a fictionalized version of himself.
And Young Rock, a vanity project for the Rock portraying his childhood.

Vanity projects for celebrities where they get to play themselves seem to be where sitcoms are these days.

Marenghi fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 18, 2023

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

GolfHole posted:

bring back my name is earl you cowards

Give me closure dammit. They've rebooted nearly everything else from that era.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
I'd nearly get a copy if it's the original evening airings. The only place that has them here, the British Channel 4 streaming service, shows it in the early morning and afternoon on broadcast tv so all the episodes on their streams are also cut for a PG rating.

The episode with the b-plot of Niles buying weed and Martin getting high, all references to drugs cut so Martin is just acting a bit silly for no reason and it has no resolution.

The Carlos and the Chicken episode. They cut out the word rear end so it's the Fraiser Crane's Humongous ... Contest, with his neighbour now trying take a photo of his behind for seemingly no reason. And they cut the best line from it. The spliced audio the duo made of Frasier and Roz having sex is ruined with all risque lines deleted. 'Love does enter through the nose' made that scene and they cut it.

I've rewatched bunch of my favourites and just keep noticing all the punchlines they've removed.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Who wanted the reboot? Why does it exist??

I'm guessing Frasier wanted it. What's he worked on lately? Money Plane was the most recent I remember and that came out in 2020. gently caress feels like those memes were only a year ago.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
That fire scene is one of the best skits in the show. Up there as one of my favorite Frasier moments.

Niles doing all the characters on the Radio play is another favorite. And when they buy the restaurant and he's working in the kitchen.

Probably my three favorite parts of the show and it's all Niles.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Frasier's hair in season 1 is one of the best things ever allowed on TV

One thing that bothered me about the flashback episode to his first show in season 3 or 4. He had his current shorter hairstyle. They should have brought out a wig of his original hair.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
Gave the show a go after the reception it got here. The trailer was so cringe but they had dialled up the sitcom for that, it's not as bad as I expected. It does get a bit broad in the humour at times, but they captured the Frasier character which elevates it.

Frasier setting out to catch Freddy and Eve in their lie about the baby is pure Frasier. It's bringing the sensibilities of his character and 90s sitcoms into present day sitcom, which I enjoyed.

The apartments are a bit distracting for me because they look like the sets from big bang theory. But thankfully that's as far as the bbt similarities go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

they will betray you
watching them all in a row, i've just realized what a funny character and actress Lilith was. They've always been great but such short segments. her interactions with Niles and Frasier are peak, and Martin's mad dash to shake her hand, ditching his cane, because she was getting married was great physical comedy.