Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

spog posted:

It's quite unusual in sitcom world as they both seem like plausible people and the relationship is real.

Unlike the usual trope where one partner is normal and the other is an ogre/moron.

Yeah, most of Frasier's immediate family sides with him and makes fun of her, but it's still clear she's really a sane and competent individual who just wasn't right for Frasier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Well drat, here come the waterworks.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'm trying to think of any growth that Niles or Daphne went through after getting together.

They do kinda grow, unfortunately they just grow into more boring people.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Honestly any episode pre-season 9 has some redeeming quality to it, they were still on their game even when the scripts weren't great. Only in the last few seasons do we get any total losses, where there's both a bad script and no enthusiasm to sell it.

The one somebody mentioned with Daphne's mother feuding with a kid very well might be the worst one. Though I'm quite sure I've only watched it once so it's hard to remember exactly what's so bad about it. If I remember correctly, the same annoying kid actor showed up on Everybody Loves Raymond around the same time to do basically the same episode but even worse.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mario death mask posted:

When Kelsey Grammer wrecked out in his Dodge Viper and had to be sent to rehab it made me really sad to learn he wasn't like Frasier in real life :smith:

Frasier has left the building.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

F ● R ● A ●S ● I ● E ● R

so no-one told you life was gonna be this way
clapclapclapclapclap
I'm listening

You got divorced, of course
And people think you're gayyyyyyy

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

supernatural blonde posted:

Dear god, the last ever episode was on this morning and what a turd of an episode that was just like the dozen or so before it.
Still cried a tiny bit even through the schmaltzy cheese-fest.

I agree, it was the best sitcom finale ever.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mario death mask posted:

I could go for a really good Cobb or wedge salad right about now

You seem a bit confused

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I get that same feeling whenever Gordon Ramsay is going through someone's horrifying fridge and touches all kinds of rotten food. I guess maybe it's a chef thing. But Frasier would probably still freak out about it

Also: New Girl is good

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's simultaneously the perfect background noise and a consistently smart and funny sitcom. I think if something happens that really demands your full attention, it'll do a pretty good job grabbing your attention on its own.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I guess the Greek episode must be one of those things that I would've hated if I were waiting a week to watch it, but in reruns it seems perfectly ok.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pretty much everything Kelsey Grammer acts in at this point is functionally a Frasier reboot. I guess you might as well make extra money by calling it that.

Yes, even X-Men and The Expendables

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Now this is some grade A clickbait:

Frasier reboot would see Frasier Crane as a Trump supporter.

(It's a theory spun out of literally nothing by the writer of the article)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Someone clearly hasn't watched the show, a big point in it is that Frasier is firmly liberal (and at odds with his conservative father around election time), regardless of that it's the opposite of Kelsey Grammar's politics.

Well obviously he's not a true liberal because he's wrong sometimes and we laugh at him.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I was driving through a very rich area of southeastern Pennsylvania and there's a retirement community called Maris Grove.

I saw the sign but couldn't get a look at the actual facility.

:golfclap:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/BigDogClub/status/1069604024356298753

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I just finished the show last week.

When they ended that one season with Roz demanding Frasier choose her or that financial commentator, was that supposed to be a trial balloon to see whether audiences wanted Frasier and Roz to end up together in a relationship?

IIRC (probably from this thread) it was more that there were different showrunners/writers at that point, but for the final season the original team came back, and they were all like "screw that idea"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

algebra testes posted:

What are the good christmas episodes?

I remember the season 1 one being fantatic.

Basically all of them. Although I guess the ones from season 8 & 10 aren't really up to par.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

420 Gank Mid posted:

"High Holidays" is season 11 and its still amazing

Hence I didn't include it. Also nice username/post combo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like that episode was one of their only attempts to really explore the relationship between Daphne and Frasier and the whole kind of weird dynamic of her living in his apartment. They didn't really bother exploring it after that, I guess because her relationship with Niles was much more interesting and relatable. Mostly she was just another person who showed up in the living room to do hijinx.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who was worse? Kate or Ronee. I can't decide.

Probably about equal, but the writing as a whole was more inspired during the Kate era.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Does this show get better again after season 8? I've been watching it on netflix and I think this about when I stopped watching when it was airing. I really don't like the focus on Niles and Daphne.

9 & 10 are very hit or miss, but 11 is pretty good. They knew they were ending so they kind of got their act together.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Daphne really didn't have enough of a character to sustain A-plots, so they kind of just threw the Default American Sitcom Woman character at her. Vaguely snarky, can't cook too well, inconveniences her man by wanting things he doesn't want, etc. It didn't work. They probably would've been better off sticking to their strengths and keeping her as a secondary character, but I guess that would've been unfair. At the time, though, the chances of her becoming a really well-written character were pretty slim.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Tubin'

Get it right

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
https://twitter.com/mcnallyjackson/status/1074777690346045441

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TBH as much as I love the show, I wouldn't say any of the characters are extremely well fleshed out, so it's hard to say which relationships would've worked and which wouldn't. They're likeable characters and that's all they needed to be. Getting any of them together was not necessarily going to result in good comedy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sagacity posted:

I don't know if this was already mentioned but one of Frasier's writers has a blog where he shares a whole bunch of anecdotes, like this.

I guess it could've had a butterfly effect that ruined the show for some reason, but I'm really intrigued by the idea of Hispanic Daphne.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think you can argue that it was accurate to how people felt about that stuff at the time, especially with them being desperate to maintain their status and whatnot. I understand someone arguing they could've just not done those jokes and pushed beyond what the rest of the culture was doing. But overall it comes off okay.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's smart, but that doesn't mean you have to have a college degree to understand it, or something like that. It just doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator quite as much as other sitcoms of its era.

Like, it's a little too smart for the dumbest people on the planet to understand it, but the vast majority of people can understand it just fine.

Though I'm probably giving people too much credit.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

You mean like the love between a man and his wife, or like the love between a man and LE CIGARE VOLANT

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I liked Kirby and Simon. Hated Daphne's mom and Cam Winston though. Probably more a product of the show's general decline than anything specific about him, I guess.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Laterite posted:

Cam Winston worked better as Frasier's unseen nemesis than what we got on camera.

Frasier saying Cam Winston's name ended up being more memorable than anything about the actual character himself

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Calaveron posted:

Apparently his natural register is raspier and croakier than Frasier's rich, throaty tone

I mean it's also been like 15 years so...

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
ScreenRant is such trash. Yet once in a while I see one of their lists in my news feed and I have to read it.

"Detour" definitely belongs on a list of the worst, and you can argue for "Freudian Sleep" as well, depending on your tolerance for highly produced dream sequences. The other picks just seem random, regardless of their insistence that fans of the show all agree on "Liar, Liar" being the worst episode of all time (this is literally the first time I've ever heard that).

Meanwhile, no "Ski Lodge"?! That's the biggest softball for any list of best Frasier episodes.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 20, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sunswipe posted:

The point of these lists is never to actually be right, it's to throw enough poo poo out that people will talk about it, comment on it and drive that sweet sweet ad revenue.

That's absolutely true much of the time, but other times I think it's just sheer laziness, especially ScreenRant. The writing is always barely passable as a first draft, they probably just crap something out as soon as possible with little regard for how right or wrong it is.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
If that episode is classist, then the whole show is. It's like the entire premise of the show summed up in one episode. Rich/intellectual white guys are out of touch, assume blue collar stuff is for simpletons, get clowned on, learn some lesson about humility that they forget before the next episode.

It's also a painfully accurate depiction of someone who has a mental block against following instructions that aren't worded precisely correct, I can sadly attest.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Aug 19, 2019

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I don't find her aggressively awful, she's just kind of there.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I love the Hot N Foamy bloopers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaYU4cnhW4w
Starts at 5:32

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sunswipe posted:

Just be glad they didn't do the same to Uhura and Sulu. There's an alternate universe out there where Uhura sounds like Mammy Two Shoes and Sulu is played by Mickey Rooney.

Clarification for those who don't watch Trek: they didn't actually do this alternate universe

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
What if "Maris" is actually just Niles's heroin addiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Inspector Hound posted:

I had forgotten about the straight up "check out these big hosed up noses" episode, complete with gigantic prosthetic noses

It's a testament to how ridiculously good the show was at that point that they could do an episode with that as the central gag and it was somehow still good.