Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

MarcusSA posted:

I’d watch this.

Shhhh don't tell NBC, they'll think you're serious like they did with the Fresh Prince

And the lead actor is every bit as likely to do something that kills people's enthusiasm for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I can't remember, does Frasier ever express a love for a pop song? Or does Niles?

Cheers Frasier would've loved Robin Trower but show Frasier doesn't seem to love anything recent

He seemed to enjoy Great Balls of Fire. Not really that recent of course...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=albgrS1-L8w

Of course at the time, it was just a wee bit older than Smells Like Teen Spirit is currently

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Why do they specify multi camera? What does that mean in the context of a sitcom?

I heard one podcast about this and now I'm going to speak on it authoritatively. Basically it's a kind of outdated term at this point, but it refers to the method pioneered by Lucille Ball where they had (usually) 3 sets built on a single soundstage and a camera pointed at each one, all in front of a live audience. Whereas I guess before, the norm was basically just plopping one camera in front of a regular stage. The "multi-camera" method was the first time they really figured out the process and formalized it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CaptainViolence posted:

i can see how the term might be called outdated because a lot of sitcoms will mix and match as needed.

I'm going to take this as a personal attack on my post and respond in kind.

Nah jk, but when I said "outdated term" I meant more just that it doesn't adequately convey the whole setup to most people these days, having not lived in the context of pre-Lucy sitcoms -- which don't even look that different until someone explains it to you.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I decided to waste a few minutes reading that and I'm not sure what point they're making. It sounds like they enjoyed the show as intended? But also try to make some point about how it's dated and "is best left in the early 2000s", which, yeah? It's an old show. We did leave it there. They strangely refer to Arrested Development as a "contemporary" which was only true for about 6 months. I enjoyed that show's more biting take on the upper class, but it was made at a different time and for a different audience.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hope I'm not I'm wrong, but there seems to be a difference between people like Kelsey Grammer and people like James Woods. Grammer seems like just your typical "straight white guy who likes money" Republican and not a Twitter-poisoned ideologue who whines about minorities oppressing him. I don't really care about the first kind all that much. Like I get it, it's hard to see past all that money, I might be that way too in the same situation.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
it's like poetry they rhyme

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

EEKA GEEK posted:

Even worse than that though is the “why look, it’s my long lost friend/cousin/uncle who I have definitely been thinking about this whole time before any of us even heard about him”

This revival will finally get deeper into something that the main series left unexplored, but the fans have been clamoring for: more about Frasier's Greek cousins

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

The Saucer Hovers posted:

*walking away from capital building on jan 6th* this stinks! this is total b.s.!

Where's my ballot? Where's my-- SOMEBODY STOLE MY BALLOT!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

EEKA GEEK posted:

I like the episode You Can Go Home Again except for one thing- the whole episode is told in flashback to before the beginning of season 1 but they didn’t give Kelsey his hockey hair from that season. A shrewd move, but cowardly, and definitely pulls me out of the suspension of disbelief that it really happened 3 years prior.

They tried that in the penultimate episode with very mixed results. I'm not sure if it was a meta joke that the wigs were so bad.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
How can Daphne's mom even be on a tier list that doesn't include an F tier

And her dad being S tier is just confusing.

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Poppy didn't get enough screen time. I can hear her talking to Eddy now

Yeah she's a sleeper. I know she would've gotten annoying (unintentionally) if they used her too much, but her 2 appearances were fantastic.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Might as well do the YouTube embed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytRUZi9geSE

Rappaport posted:

That was pretty terrible, I wonder if it'll actually be the intro sequence. But hey, there was beer in it, so Cheers fans are invited? :confuoot:

He's back in Boston apparently, based on the article:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/frasier-kelsey-grammer-reboot-revival-paramount-1235571852/

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah, after she gets with Niles, Daphne just kind of absorbs all the plots and character traits typically assigned to White Sitcom Girlfriend. She stands next to Niles and makes sarcastic quips and gets jealous sometimes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ok, they did a good job with the trailer. It looks about as good as I could expect. It seems possible that it'll be season 11 quality which would be worth watching once, at least.

His college friend or whoever does seem like a pretty transparent stand-in for Martin, but I guess that just means they recognize the need for a character like that, and obviously they can't get the real thing...

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 14, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
TBH I kind of feel the opposite way, it seems like comedies aren't allowed to just be comedies anymore and are expected to provide moments for clickbait headlines about 10 Times This Show Unexpectedly Gave Us All The Feels.

It is important for the show to have some tender moments, but I just feel like that's a given at this point. I'd be far more surprised if it didn't.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Keep in mind there actually was a Blu-ray release about a year ago and apparently it's great. Still stewing about that since I finally bought the DVDs about a year prior.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah my eventual dream plan is to set up a Frasier Plex playlist that can be shuffled and serve up nothing but bangers in HD every time

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
New Girl is definitely worth watching. It has its rough patches -- they swap out a character after the pilot, bring him back for a season or two later on, Zooey is out for half a season and replaced by Megan Fox, etc. -- but overall it's a pretty great ride. Definitely the last sitcom I really got into. It has a good mix of obvious slapstick and weirder idiosyncratic stuff.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Marenghi posted:

I'm guessing Frasier wanted it. What's he worked on lately? Money Plane was the most recent I remember and that came out in 2020. gently caress feels like those memes were only a year ago.

Not ruling that out, but it seems clear enough to me. The original has had a pretty steady reputation, and even if it didn't, the real question is always "What's stopping us from rebooting this IP?"

In the lead-up to this, it sounded like Grammer wasn't on board for a while, but I'm guessing they kept driving more and more dump trucks full of money up to his house until he said Yes. And I can't really blame him, I mean it's just a job at the end of the day.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It may just be wishful thinking but Grammer seems like your Schwarzenegger/Rock brand of Hollywood Republican, which is sadly the absolute best compliment I can give a Republican.

Well, he is definitely somewhat more willing to appear on Fox News, but still. Generally these days if somebody holds garbage opinions, they have no problem letting you hear about it. Silence is usually a good sign.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can't really defend this, but I guess part of me wishes interviewers just wouldn't ask about this stuff. I'd honestly rather not know. The really awful ones have a way of outing themselves anyhow.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
"Supporting Trump" is way more troubling than just "voted for him prior to January 6" or "is generally Republican/conservative". At this point you've really got to push past a lot of proven moral and civic issues. That being said, I'll still watch stuff he's in unless he really starts using his platform for evil. If he never mentions this again then I'm content to never mention it again either.

*sigh* I can't say I love the odds of that happening though

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That reminds me of a movie, what was it... Oh right, An American Carol guest-starring Kelsey Grammer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Didn't think I'd be saying this, but I'm glad it's getting another season. They had a pretty good vibe going by the end of season 1.