Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A think I liked about Frasier were the parallels between Niles/Maris and Norm/Vera, (from Cheers, the show that Frasier is a spin off of.)

Maris is an extremely thin, very demanding woman who is doted on by a husband that doesn't love her or even like her.

Vera is a fat woman who is neglected by a husband whoactually deep in his heart loves her dearly.

Neither character is ever shown, only talked about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

One thing I liked about Frasier, is how they contrasted the characters of the absent wives that never appeared on screen.

Vera: Norms wife was fat, affectionate, and neglected by a husband that ultimately loved her deep down.
Maris: Niles' wife was absurdly thin, cold, and doted on by a husband who deep down didn't even like her.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I think Martin says Lilith is worse than Maris because Lilith is worse for Frasier than Maris is for Niles.

Maris, (with all her 'quirks' and snobbery, pretension, and outright contempt for her husband), was at least good for Niles in so much as her money allowed him to be happy and Niles himself was blind to all her faults.

Lilith however, (with all her virtues of being a stone cold 'nasty woman'), was mean and cold as well, but her meanness and coldness actually hurt Frasier.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Koalas March posted:

I like the Christmas episode where she thinks Martin is dying, or when Frasier mistakenly tries to set her up with a new station manager, only to find he thought Frasier wanted to date him instead. There's an amazing moment when she throws her "lucky" bra off in defeat that's relatable af

I always thought that the station manager took rejection pretty well. Coz, from his perspective, Frasier had been hitting on him hard all night, and then he takes the fact that Frasier is straight with remarkable grace. He should have been at least a little bit pissed off.

Also I love the line "Wait, that Maris person that Niles has been talking about all night is a woman??"

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Cheers just reminded me that canonically Frasier is married to Lilith, again, at the moment of his death

I'm going to need more info on this please.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

The Frasier episode that dealt with gay stuff that I most remember is when there is a new handsome Station Manager(?) at the radio station, and Frasier invites him back to his house to set him up with Daphne, but the bloke is gay and thinks that he is on a date with Frasier.

Hilarity ensues.

I always felt bad for that bloke, because over the course of the evening Frasier leads him on pretty hard, (for a 90s show where the gag was "haha two men being flirty with one another is hilarious"), and the punchline is Daphne comes in all dolled up just when the guy finally says the magic words "I. Am. Gay.", so turns around and runs away in humiliation. And then Frasier just goes "sorry mate, not into dudes. I was trying to pimp you off to my housecleaner, heh." And this poor handsome man takes it all with far more grace and dignity than I would have.

I don't think he was ever seen again either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Rappaport posted:

David Hyde Pierce is pretty good at physical comedy, I feel the show didn't utilize that enough instead of just having Kelsey yell NILES at him over and over.

To be fair, getting yelled at is an underappreciated comic skill. And David Hyde Pierce is very good at getting yelled at.