Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Achmed Jones posted:

donnie and mel both got done dirty. i liked them both when they were with daphne and niles. mel was maris-lite because niles is maris-lite, too their entire thing was both being dorky clean-freak snobs that were generally well-meaning and kind, but snooty. not everything has to be opposites attracting. the best thing imo would've been if niles just got over daphne quietly like most people do with infatuations when they get in an actual normal relationship. but ah well, it's a 90s sitcom, i can't have everything

cam owns, bebe owns, cam's mom owns, poppy owns. martin being with ronnie instead of cam's mom is the greatest television injustice of all time. it's just such a massive mistake that i can't figure out how they managed to screw it up other than either the actress not wanting to do it, or somebody being lovely about interracial relationships

kirby's lame, lana's lamer, daphne's family sucks (but her mom has some funny moments so she gets a pass mostly)

Given the execs forced the plot of Roz getting pregnant specifically to punish her character for being unashamedly promiscuous I don't doubt they weren't gonna let an interracial relationship fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Had it put that early on Martin's angry and depressed probably because he's lost his wife and now his independence, been getting begrudging visits from just Niles and now has to move in with his other very different son he hasn't seen much for years. Not too surprising he's a dick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The good old days after 9/11!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm absolutely certain that wasn't drawn by furries.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

https://twitter.com/2DForever/status/1646077127287029761

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Daphne's psychic counterattack.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

No, Daphne is the villain, brainwashing all the cast against our heroes. The level end bosses are her family members.

But then you gotta have Maris in a giant robot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's a beat em up game, everyone beats up everyone for no particular reason.

Actually the Simpsons arcade game comes to mind as having all the canon regulars- even (early season 1) Sideshow Bob!- be background characters or even providing assistance, while the enemies are all original characters in the show's style. I should bug the Simpsons meme thread about this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

You have to pick the right port in the previous stage's ending, and then get the right bon mot at the breakfast table. Check the manual for a few hints.

No surprise it's a rather weak version of copy protection.

I've heard that game isn't great but it's oddly charming, it feels like something the characters actually made. It didn't come with an instruction manual, which was unusual at the time, but opened with 'Real men don't need instructions'.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That's sad. If I could have anything from Frasier I'd like a little more character development for Daphne

Given the producers' treatment of Roz I might not have gotten my hopes up. Sitcoms of that era were pretty bad about actually developing women, from what I recall.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If he was less pathetic he'd be less funny

That is the whole joke. Well, that and he's a walking example of what not to do with the point being he does those things because he's a horrible person. If anything almost ahead of its time given say, the whole deal with Barney in How I Met Your Mother a decade later.

I'm reminded of when Johnny Bravo was first pitched to Cartoon Network, apparently the men were unsure about how it'd go over with women, but the women were all for it. The whole point after all is that his behaviour is inappropriate and counterproductive.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cosmik Slop posted:

They basically had to demolish Daphne and Niles and rebuild them to make the two of them together even remotely plausible, great way to ruin a show

Pretty standard sitcom romance blunder, Moonlighting is the OG I think.

Maybe it'd work better if they focused on the class angle?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cheers cast reunion with inexplicable recastings, and instead of Norm it's Morn

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like with a lot of TV the audience is probably exclusively boomers who reliably press the button to see a familiar face make the voice and reinforce all their biases.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The equivalent plot is that Frasier would be wandering around the desert of Eastern Washington and get picked up, mistaken for a gray, become national news, and get analyzed by scientists with the result that maybe he's an alien maybe not

That's just a Maris gag.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The plumber episode but their school bullies were Mario and Luigi

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Marenghi posted:

I'm guessing Frasier wanted it. What's he worked on lately? Money Plane was the most recent I remember and that came out in 2020. gently caress feels like those memes were only a year ago.

He was the villain in a Transformers movie and got shot, fully justified, by Optimus Prime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Grammer's life is an absolute trainwreck where his sister getting murdered is just the start of it, from all accounts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

ruddiger posted:

It’s such a worn out sitcom cliche for someone to misconstrue a situation where they think the other person has romantic feelings for them, but drat if I didn’t laugh at Frasier’s reaction to it.

I feel it makes specific sense for someone who used to be married to Lillith.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

TheWorldsaStage posted:

My favorite episodes are always Bebe episodes.

She's the devil Frasier; run fast, run far

"Aren't you glad I'm on your side?" :D

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

From the sound of it I'm absolutely sure they think they have the next Young Sheldon on their hands.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beefeater1980 posted:

I was surprised that the laugh track didn’t make it bad.

Like anything, the laughtrack is a tool, and a lot of people are soured on it by bad sitcoms using it as a crutch. I think it always worked for Frasier because of the very stage play feel to it, Victorian farce in particular.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Imagine a night in Vegas with Kelsey Grammar. Goddamn that'd be unbelievable.

It's been said itt that the brundlefly of Frasier and Always Sunny is just irl Kelsey Grammar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rascar Capac posted:

Someone find a gif of his last scene from Money Plane.

This but Transformers: Age of Extinction

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I hope he begins manifesting psychic powers.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I don't think Grammer has necessarily let his brain worms get in the way of his actual work as far as I know. Apparently there were times where he'd just sit around like a zombie on stage until he was called up to act and then suddenly became Frasier.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

PittTheElder posted:

I think the saving grace is that the much younger women inevitably get tired of him and his poo poo within a 20 minute plot arc.

And even that was a thing in the original, basically the whole joke is how hilariously insufferable Frasier is most of the time and few women are crazy enough to want to put up with his bullshit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm holding out for the guest appearance of Optimus Prime.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

We finally get to see Maris.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm still pretty sure Maris is literally a Gray in a wig.

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i just wish he was having a holding guns on people in public style phase like his mother went through around his age

PSA with Optimus Prime.

SettingSun posted:

Consider carefully whether or not you'll actually like wine after watching and going out to buy some.

The fairly cheap stuff is often still pretty good, even nowadays.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like getting a new Star Wars movie every year!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I just read in a magazine of all things about Frasier Fantasy, a Game Boy styled turn based RPG about Frasier.

Yes there is a Maris boss fight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wondering whether Frasier and Niles would smoke weed, but lol nerdy kids of a cop, and also psychiatrists who can prescribe themselves the good stuff anyway. And they strike me as the types who'd get either too anxious on the stuff or too relaxed and blurt out exactly the wrong thing with perfect comic timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Marenghi posted:

watching them all in a row, i've just realized what a funny character and actress Lilith was. They've always been great but such short segments. her interactions with Niles and Frasier are peak, and Martin's mad dash to shake her hand, ditching his cane, because she was getting married was great physical comedy.

Kinda funny that they initially try to play her up as antagonistic but she ends up downright likeable, especially given she's prone to the same silliness as the Crane brothers.

Maybe she has a similar deal with Frasier and Niles, where they have plenty in common and get alone, but they inevitably end up with dangerous levels of friction and ensuing hilarity when they spend too much time around each other, perhaps because of those same quirks and commonalities. Actually a pretty common theme of the show about cohabiting in non-traditional manners, about sharing space, setting boundaries and making compromises to make relationships work.