Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like the one where they need some repairs and Frasier's dad hires none other than Tim "the toolman" Taylor, and becomes miffed when he and Frasier become fast friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

sassassin posted:

You are. The idea that Emily and Richard are bad people is just where the show begins, as its jumping off point. Lorelai's view of them is frequently proved to be wrong, and her method of parenting leads to Rory becoming a selfish idiot who breaks up marriages and runs off with the similarly selfish rich playboy idiot.

Escaping the saccharine-sweet kookiness and constant support/enabling of the town is the only way to grow and succeed, as we see with Jess.

Didn't the series end with Rory getting on Barack Obama's plane?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Niles: Tell me Frasier, have you ever thought of Roz... romantically?
Frasier: Oh, pish posh, Niles. Certainly she is comely and I have more than once caught a glimpse of her in angles which were extremely flattering to her female form, but no.
Niles: Not even a fling, then?
Frasier: I am but a man Niles, of course I've had passing thoughts. But sustained interest... no. I would prefer to keep our relationship professional.
(Roz enters)
Roz: drat it!
Niles: Whatever is the matter?
Roz: I thought I was meeting this cute guy from the book store here for a date but he just wanted to convert me to Scientology.
Frasier: Well, these things happen. I'm sure he saw something within you that attracted him, but he was more interested in your soul than your flesh.
Roz: Maybe I can get back home in time to seduce my building's plumber. I told him my pipes were clogged and he just gave me a business card.
Niles: Have you always had an intense need of male intimacy?
Roz: Excuse me?
Frasier: Apologies for my brother, he meant nothing by that. He can't help but try to administer psychotherapy.
Roz: I didn't ask for your analysis.
Niles: Yes, my apologies. I assure you my motives were entirely altruistic, but I shouldn't have pried. I beg your pardon.
Roz: Well... alright.
Frasier: Well, an amicable settlement without escalation! Blazes, when will our coffee get here?
Roz: GOD, I need a dick in me. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think My Coffee with Niles is a really great early one. Sums up exactly what the series is about, what the character arcs have been, and what the character arcs will continue to be.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I never heard of that but sounds like a great idea. I hate wet popcorn though so it would need to be a powder.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I really wish niles and daphne didn't end up together, the show would have been better off for it.

Then it would have just been a will they/won't they thing for eight years which would be even worse.

The second Daphne made him pop a boner in the pilot, both character's fates were sealed.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kelp Me! posted:

The long-running joke will remain true to the show; she will be constantly referred to as the best gently caress on the planet and various actors will often go off-set to "go gently caress Maris" but you never actually see her

Her scenes are shot from first person perspective

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am thinking of writing several scripts for a podcast "Frasier Crane travels the multiverse". Will let know if pans out

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Actually Martin dies in the first episode

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

tactlessbastard posted:

They are so relentlessly lovely to Roz

That's why she became Livewire

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Their snootyness likely comes as a result of being bullied as kids for liking the things they liked

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Frasierverse: Episode 1
Batman v Frasier: The Lost Crane
Chapter 1

Dr. Frasier Crane sighed with content as he finished his broadcast of the day. He truly was living a blessed life. Frasier had just completed the 1000th episode of his radio program The Dr. Frasier Crane Show, where he administered short psychiatric advice to listeners over the phone, ranging from impostor syndrome to sociopathic tendencies. Frasier was good at his job and had a good life. He lived in a posh apartment complex taking care of his aging father Martin, he had a strong relationship with his brother Niles, and a close friendship with his producer, Roz. Thanks to many smart investments in his youth he was a wealthy bachelor and man about town who truly had Seattle at his fingertips. He had overcome a nasty divorce with a wife who was too powerful for him to keep up with and his own past struggles with alcoholism. The 1000th episode was a milestone not even Frasier had imagined hitting and he was beaming with pride. He turned around in his studio chair and pulled off his headphones expecting to see and hear applauding staff members, but that was not what appeared. Instead, his producer and his boss were in the door, looking sullen.
“Oh god,” Frasier mused, “please tell me I haven’t just been fired.”
Roz held a pad “Frasier, it’s your dad. Martin had a heart attack, he’s in the ICU at Kindred.” Frasier’s face turned from one of worry to one of concern. A subtle difference, but very perceptible. “I’m sorry, I should have stopped the show. They called during your last segment.”
Frasier composed himself and looked into Roz’s eyes. “No...” he stuttered. “That’s quite alright. “ Frasier composed some more thoughts but was interrupted by his boss, the station manager, Kenny.
“We had a party set up for you in the lounge, but we’ll reschedule...”
“Of course,” Frasier answered. “Roz, please give the other employees my regards. Were you contacted by Niles?”
“No,” she responded. “It was the hospital.”
“Please call him for me. I have to leave immediately”
“Of course,” she said. Then, not knowing what to do, she grabbed Frasier and hugged him, and kissed him on the cheek. Frasier was too preoccupied to even begin to try to untangle how he felt about that, and rushed out the door.

When Frasier arrived at Kindred, he met his brother, who had just arrived himself, his own psychiatry office being located much closer to the hospital. It became apparent that the hospital had taken a while to find Martin’s emergency contact info, as a surgeon came out to explain. Their father had a large heart attack. When they performed some exploratory procedures to assess the damage, it became apparent that he had suffered from a previously undiagnosed minor heart attack some time in the last few years. There was extensive damage. Martin was conscious enough to call 911 and to consent to surgery. They replaced two of his arteries with ones taken from his leg. Luckily for him, he has a common blood type. He was currently on a breathing tube which they planned to remove in twelve hours to allow him to breathe on his own and bring him to consciousness. Frasier and Niles were able to observe him briefly in the ICU, but spent most of their time in the waiting room. Twelve hours passed extraordinarily quickly, and the brothers, who usually could not stop talking, found themselves mostly silent, aside from brief visits from close friends and family. Niles’ wife Daphne brought them dinner and breakfast. When it came time to attempt to wake Martin, only Niles and Frasier were called back.
Even though they were medically competent enough to know going off the breather would be mostly seamless, some part of them was still surprised at how easy it was, and how little drama occurred in the removal. Frasier unconsciously held his own breath for quite some time, but began breathing again as his father stirred.
“Dad!?” both Frasier and Niles exclaimed.
Martin slowly opened his eyes. “Well,” he said. “I guess the surgery worked.”
“Thank God,” Niles said.
Frasier was more reserved in his enthusiasm. “You’re not out of the woods yet,” he said.
“Nice to see you, too.” Martin replied.
“Sorry, father,” said Frasier, “I wasn’t thinking straight. I’m extremely happy you’re awake.”
“It’s ok, son.” He replied weakly. “What’s this about not being out of the woods?”
“Well, should you or should I?” Niles asked Frasier.
“I don’t suppose it matters, does it?” Frasier asked Niles.
“Well, you’re older, so perhaps that responsibility is yours,” Niles responded, “but of course I’m still practicing and prescribing, so I’m more medically qualified.”
Frasier scoffed. “By all means.”
“Well father, they’ve replaced two of your arteries, but they need to replace two more. You really only have a half a heart at this point. They apparently are having some trouble finding high quality arteries in your legs due to your gunshot wound.” Niles referred to the wound that had forced retirement on Martin Crane from the police force some fortyear ago. “You’ll need an outside donor to make a full recovery, and after an examination they have determined that neither of us are compatible.”
“That doesn’t make any sense,” Martin complained, “you’re my closest living relatives. If not you, then who?”
“Apparently something in our mother’s DNA that’s in us, doesn’t match what’s in you.” Frasier answered, putting it in layman’s terms. “Without any other living progeny, your options are limited. We have to hope a compatible donor shows up somewhere.”
Martin grimaced. The pain medication flowing to his IV was powerful, but after such a taxing surgery, maybe the combination of the stinging news got through. Or maybe it was the decision he just made, a decision he thought he’d never make.
“Boys, I have to tell you something. Something I’ve never told anyone.”
“Please father,” Niles chastised. “The situation may look grim but now is not the time for deathbed confessions.”
“No,” Martin replied, “this isn’t a confession. This is… a possibility. There might be another donor.”
“But you have no living siblings, Fredrick is too young,” Frasier references his own son, “ and we’re your only sons,” Frasier answered. There was a long pause as Martin glanced furtively at the two of them.
“What if… you weren’t?” he asked.
Both sons looked incredibly perplexed. “What do you mean, what if we weren’t?” Niles asked curtly.
“What if you weren’t my only sons?”
Frasier dropped a mug of water he had been holding. It smashed on the ground.
“I… I didn’t even know until about five years ago,” he confessed. “It was a girl I had a relationship with months before I met your mother. It ended amicably and I never heard from her again, until she died five years ago and I got a letter.”
“We have another brother?” Frasier asked the obvious.
“I didn’t tell anyone. I was ashamed. Not of myself, it wasn’t my fault.”
“What are you talking about, dad?” Niles demanded. “Where is this brother? WHO is this brother?”
“He’s in Gotham.” Martin answered, looking as stern and serious as they’d ever seen him.
“He’s in Gotham, and his name is Jonathan. Jonathan Crane. He’s a psychologist in Arkham Asylum.”
“Another psychologist in the family?” Frasier asked. “What are the odds!? Have you contacted him?”
“Only in letters” Martin answered. “Only in letters, and he never answered.”
“We have to meet him,” Frasier said. “He’s a psychiatric professional like us, working at a place of prestige like Arkham hospital. He’ll understand us. He’ll listen. He may resent you but he won’t resent us.”
“No, listen for five seconds!” Martin demanded. “He’s not a psychologist in residence at Arkham Asylum. He is an INMATE. Jonathan Crane. They call him… the Scarecrow.”
Silence covered the room for what felt like an eternity.
“Oh dear lord!” Frasier said as he fainted into Nile’s arms. Niles toppled over, unable to support the weight.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've been really impressed by Frasier's old college friend. Because he really naturally feels like he's been Frasier's friend forever and that they've had a decades long relationship even though as far as I know he was never mentioned before. He has a great rapport with him and it's really good when he successfully does psychology on Frasier or gets Frasier to see what he's doing wrong.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Oh, pish posh!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grassy Knowles posted:

Gonna need more details on this one cause it sounds a little yikesy

Eve sets them both up on a blind date and a woman shows up, Frasier invites her in assuming she is his date. Played by June Diane Rafael. While Frasier starts cooking dinner for two in the kitchen, Freddie comes in from his room and assumes that she is his date. So they both try to figure out whose date she is without asking.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

June Diane Rafael was a smoke show in that episode too. Good casting where she's definitely too young for Frasier but maybe kind of old for Freddy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I do apologize for the objectification but I stand by my assessment that she is a smoke show

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is the new one filmed with a studio audience? I assumed it wasn't.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's basically Sheldon if Sheldon was not a huge rear end in a top hat and instead was just a doofus. I basically don't mind him too much because he's not really smug at all.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should tell Kelsey Grammar that he is in a reality show being filmed 24/7 in the style of a Frasier mockumentary but he has to improv due to the nature of it.

We could swap Grammar out and have a real life Frasier Crane in our world.

Just tell him it's an editing day when you need to give him a day off to record Sideshow Bob

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tim Allen's Santa Clause series is pretty good if you like those movies.

He has the ability to shut his mouth and play nice when it means he gets to get an ep credit and cast his daughter in a lead role

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

The first Santa Clause movie is okay.

The other ones are dog poo poo. I have strong opinions on this i guess.

I like the second one. Never made it through the third. But I love the crazy robot Santa

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I will never care, Kelsey Grammar has infinite forgiveness from me. He could have been at Jan 6th and I wouldn't give a gently caress

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Just remember, his Dad was stabbed to death in front of his eyes by a man named Niles. And then he spent fifteen years pretending a man named Niles was his brother whom he loved.

So his head ain't right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Annabel Pee posted:

The show itself has Kelsey’s weird ego all over it too tbh. Like just the fact that the character considers himself this sexy rich psychologist superstar and is still going around on dates with attractive women at 70 years old and all the other characters just accept this as fact. Like if the show wasn’t created by him I’m sure it would be less positive towards his character and it would make for a more interesting show.

He hasn't successfully gone on a date yet! He almost left with June Diane Rafael but she noped out pretty fast.

I will say the word thing with him pretending to sundown for Freddie's appearance in the last episode was loving bad, pretending to have a mental illness to help your son get laid, or pretending your dad has a mental illness to get laid... Frasier himself is not above it, but bad characterization on Freddy's part, I do not feel like he would do that.

Last few episodes I really think David has actually begun to click though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grassy Knowles posted:

The Frasier system:

Feign Alzheimers
R

Read Steven Sondheim
A

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should have a episode where David Crane meets David Crane the programmer of Pitfall and A Boy and his Blob

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Freddy and Eve need to go ahead and gently caress

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Mousse would never do that, he's an angel

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The should do an episode where Niles keeps yelling at Maris off screen and days she won't come out of her room and finally Frasier goes in there to try to talk to her and its an urn

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I got an idea for Freddy and why he is very insistent he could never be with Eve. When her husband died, Freddy was supposed to be on shift but took the day off and Eves husband was covering for him, and she doesn't know it. Cause he has some very intense survivors guilt.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Kelsey Grammer is not a once in a generation talent. He is a once in two generation talent.

You can not just jettison every single character from a show he's on and put him into a new show with new characters and have it be good... You can do it twice.

Alan Cornwall rules, and surprisingly by the end of the season David also rules. And Freddy... Seems like a pretty cool guy. But Freddy's friends from the fire station... They rule.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I wonder if cheers is even open

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Let's just hope your sword is more cutting than your wit.