Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
Fraiser is basically The Big Bang Theory but with fancy people instead of nerds.

Well it's quite a bit more tolerable than BBT too but you get my point

"OOOOH NO MY WINE WAS CORKED"
*pushes 'MADE A VERY FUNNY JOKE' button on the laugh track machine*

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's a testament to his acting ability that John Mahoney, one of the gayest dudes in Hollywood played the straightest character on the show.

hes basically asexual; apparently he had colon cancer and have a colostomy bag so he doesn't really have relationships anymore.

Dan Butler and David Hyde Pierce are both pretty flaming and proud though.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
Roz is up there with Elaine for sitcom sexpots imo

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

yeah I think I remember something from like 2012 before every cable provider offered on-demand episodes of everything :v:

seriouspost: Frasier is "nothing else is on" funny, not "what do you want to watch?" funny

Frasier is a great "I'm cooking for myself but I don't want to feel alone so I'll put it on in the background to pretend I have people that would tolerate me giving them a free meal" show.

Seinfeld is good for that too but it's not streaming anywhere

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
i meant a real streaming site worth paying for, like Amazon or Netflix

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Still Fluxing posted:

I want to know what Niles' apartment in The Montana would go for. That place was unreal!

i always thought Frasier had the better apartmentl; nile's was super dated with all the dark wood.

but niles apartments had 3 floors and was so expensive that his doorman actually lived in Frasiers building....

probably like 4-5mil these days

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah I think he's well spoken but venomously right wing, and a little psycho.

To be fair I think like half his family was murdered, in one case I think a shark may have been involved

yea he's had a pretty rough life as far as family stuff goes so I don't blame him for being a bit crazy

he's been vocally conservative forever, but he is apparently pro gay marriage and more talks about the small government and lower taxes side of conservatism more than he does the really exclusionary/Christian side, but he is still a capital 'R' Republican.

numberoneposter posted:

kelsey grammar is just a fun actor to watch even if you dont like frasier

but yea he's the poo poo anyways, i can't think of a role he's done that i haven't thought was great

Tumble fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 23, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
lol and that's not even talking about the sweet sweet residual money the actors get every time an episode plays somewhere

if you're on a popular TV show that goes a bunch of seasons, you get fat paid for year and year and years after it's done

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Roz was a degenerate

yea a degenerate, fun, hot as hell sexpot

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
oh please Roz woulda been fine with a quick friendly screw it was Fraiser that wouldn't have been able to deal with it

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Solice Kirsk posted:

With her fetching little under bite and her blousing spandex?

She really was until Niles left her for Daphne. then she was a little spiteful, but I think was justified in her anger abut the situation. The writers really didn't do a good job of making the audience think she wasn't right for Niles. All the other characters hated her and the most we see her doing is telling Niles he should run for Cork Master or being able to get into better places than Frasier or being slightly condescending to someone (but no worse than they are to every other non-starring character).

Also she appreciated Niles more and would have made him a better person. And her mother probably wouldn't have ruined every scene she was in for seasons upon seasons.

i always thought them being snubbed at restaurants was silly; most restaurants aren't really that hard to get into, you just have to make reservations kinda far in advance. Especially Seattle in the 90's - sure it's a nice city but it's not exactly Manhattan.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
i try to make 3 legged dogs feel bad about their handicaps but they just don't seem to care

its frustrating

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Frasier made bank working in private practice in Boston and he parleyed that into some high risk high yield investments which, even after a costly divorce, he was able to live comfortably off, combined with his various income streams from being a locally famous radio psychiatrist in Seattle, up till whenever the plot of the show needed him to need money.

Knowing this timeline helped me get laid by winning at trivia. The question tried to trick us: "This long-running sitcom featured a psychiatrist; a married Dr. Crane." I'm not quite remembering the question, but it was designed to trick you into answering "Fraiser" with the details unless you keyed into the 'married' part.

There were only a couple other teams that got it right and we ended up winning a few bar coupons, which I used to buy our group more drinks and a bunch of snacks and it made my date go very well.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Carpet posted:

but he then brings his father in to help with psycho-analysing the criminals...

oh and his dad always tries to empathize with the really bad dudes and sometimes ends up getting super connected to obvious scumbags.

Fraiser: "Freddy. Look at this man, don't you think he's obviously hurting both inside, and out? Why do you think he's acting out so violently? He wants to feel comforted."
Freddy: "Dad he is suspected to have sexually assaulted numerous women and it seems like it's going to be open and shut."
Fraiser: "Don't deny this man a last act of dignity before he goes into the system that will break him even more. Even a simple act of giving him some coffee could make a world of difference in his treatment."
Freddy: "I don't know..."
Frasier: "I promise you, give this man some coffee and he'll remember this moment later on. It will be a turning point."

*The suspected rapist immediately throws the coffee at Freddy, scalding him.*

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

in le cigar volant, frasier books the table for Dr Pleasure Dinosaur

and he gets pissy when they don't have his table when he says his name is Dr Frasier Crane

does he understand how booking tables works??

lol i'm actually watching "Dinner at Eight" (isn't there another episode where they actually do go there?) and one of my favorite jokes isn't actually a joke: when they end going to the steakhouse they're all dismissive at the fact it used to be a saw mill, but nowadays if you opened a steakhouse in a retrofitted saw mill it would be insanely loving baller. also the steaks they were serving there looked like really big, good steaks - they'd be expensive as hell today. Martin even mentions they're from good beef too.

that steakhouse would be trendy as hell

Tumble fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 31, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

And apparently the mid to late 90s were this halcyon era where a dude makes like 100k a year as a radio personality working 4 hours a day with benefits and vacation time

Even by sitcom standards, Frazier just sort of demands that you accept he is rich enough to never worry about money and never gives you anything to back it up.

Like the apartments on friends

he's a Harvard educated psychiatrist who ran a successful private practice for ten years in Boston, and then started a radio show in Seattle. He was probably rich as gently caress before he even moved to Seattle.

He's like the only sitcom character whose lifestyle is justified.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah but this whole “marrying one of his patients” thing is like dramatically calling Frazier’s psychiatry practice into question and also the idea that Frazier and Lilith were depicted as in-Love or happy is such a mind gently caress that might have to watch Cheers...

What is the Season 8 “you’ve seen the best the show has to offer” line in Cheers? I still haven’t restarted season 8 yet, Granny is literally the antithesis of comedy.

i think it depends on the nature of the relationship and if she was a former or a current patient. like if she were being treated for severe trauma related to abuse then he could never date her, but if she were just seeing him to get prescribed prozac and meeting with him once a month for a little while, after a couple of years they could enter into a relationship

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

datajugend posted:

idunno, jerry has a pretty small and basic apartment and its usually the same for the rest of the people in that show, jerry could have had a fireplace and garden tho. frasier is the only one with a "realistic" nice big apartment imo, niles apartment is so massive and convoluted that its just a parody of fancy apartments, didnt he have 3 stories and like a million libraries and irrc roz lives in a studio apartment. i remember very little about how i met your mother.

about everybody loves raymond, i just think that any place where the parents and children have separate bathrooms is pretty luxurious.

lol Jerry's apartment was not small and basic from an NYC point of view

it was a dope-as-hell one bedroom by basically any apartment standards (for the nineties; it would be dated these days but you could re-do it pretty easily) and by NYC standards it was spatial and luxurious

Tumble fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 18, 2017

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

WampaLord posted:

Jerry was a successful comedian though, so he could afford it. He could afford to buy his dad a new Cadillac, he clearly wasn't hurting for money. The real mystery is how Kramer can afford to be his neighbor, but you know, he's Kramer, he figured something out I'm sure.

oh for sure, i'm not saying he wouldn't be able to afford it i'm just saying he had a really nice apartment

kramer just came from money someway or another. i've known a few dudes kind of like him - one of them was weird dude in his 40s in SF who was the son of a movie producer. he always wanted to hang out and do drugs and then go into his hottub afterwards and you'd think he was pervy and was trying to use it to get laid but nope, dude just loved being on drugs in the hottub

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

Well NYC has a lot of breadth in it's real estate, but in general, yes, Jerry's apartment by today's standards would be Between $1,800-$2,400 a month in a lot of the city, and something that big for one person wouldn't exist in the rest of the city.

it's a pretty spacey 1br, it's probably in the $3500 range tbh

but they do exist in NYC, it's where Wall Street is after all.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Dyna Soar posted:

Frasiers apartment is a nightmare of wasted space. His kitchen is loving tiny compared to the vestibule

well its a set but architects have done renders of it based on what a "real" apartment with similar dimensions would look like.

his pad is baller as hell, dope kitchen too.

also he owns the space so he can pretty much do whatever he wants with it

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

Inescapable Duck posted:

Kinda funny given iirc, that was a folksy steak place, which would now be trendy as all hell. Frasier and Niles were always somehow more old-fashioned than Martin in being snobby, before wealthy people started desperately trying to be relevant rather than exclusive.

I already made that observation earlier in this thread dammit!

But yea, it's not even that the restaurant is trying to be folksy that would make it insanely trendy in today's world, it's that it's in a re-purposed sawmill. That would be an insanely awesome place to put a steakhouse today.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

They aren't guests though, they're paying customers.

Take some young hip friends to Olive Garden, or hell jist even mention the olive garden, and watch this behavior happen irl.

Though it's also imo a sendup of the standard sitcom wisecracks and insults, which are almost a genre convention but would be extremely tedious if they were real people

Yea but it's a loving steakhouse. You get wedge salads and baked potatoes and steaks. It's delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003

WampaLord posted:

This one is really good, the part where they all realize they all want to watch Antiques Roadshow is terrific.

lol don't they make a drinking game of it?