Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Heyo, folks, I'm Will.

< - And that's SuccinctAndPunchy.

And we've played way too much Freedom Planet!

Developer: GalaxyTrail
Platforms: PC, Wii U, PS4
Initial Release Date: July 21, 2014
Genre: Action Platformer
This is a voiced, co-commentated VLP.

Freedom Planet is an action-heavy platforming game that takes clear inspiration from a variety of classic SEGA Genesis platformers, such as Gunstar Heroes, Ristar, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Sonic the Hedgehog, with a tightened focus on combat and a number of more modern approaches to game design that, in my opinion, put it well above the games it draws life from, as well as most of its contemporaries. It was developed largely by one guy: Stephen DiDuro (who we'll mostly refer to by his Internet handle, "Strife"), with the help of Leila Wilson (a composer who wrote most of the soundtrack and orchestrated all of it) and an awfully large voice cast.

Freedom Planet follows the adventure of three fast-moving critters, Sash Lilac (a dragon*), Carol Tea (a cat), and Milla Basset (a dog), whose homeworld has just been invaded by a scary green dude. That's the story.

*yes I'm serious

Succinct and I have collectively dumped about 1000 hours into this game (him, over 800, and me, over 200), and we figured we ought to use our knowledge of Freedom Planet, both inside and outside of the finished product, to present the game we love(d?) so much in a variety of lights. We'll be taking you through the full game two separate times: a casual runthrough with Lilac (on Hard difficulty), and a speedrun (also featuring Lilac), with a few extra tidbits on the history of FP and Strife here and there.

You're free to discuss spoilers (although there's not much point to talk about plot points until they're pertinent, frankly) - otherwise, all we ask for post content is that you try to keep things on topic. For the sake of having as few videos as possible and keeping things simple, I'll be including the gameplay and cutscenes together, but the latter will (almost) always be stuck wholly in the second half of a video, so as to let people tap out when they feel the need.

Now, without any further ado....

Episode List
Series Playlist
Episode 1: Dragon Valley
Episode 2: Relic Maze
Episode 3: Fortune Night
Episode 4: Sky Battalion
Episode 5: Jade Creek
Episode 6: Thermal Base
Episode 7: Pangu Lagoon
Episode 8: Battle Glacier
Episode 9: Final Dreadnought (1&2)
Episode 10: Final Dreadnough (3&4)

Episode B1: GalaxyTrail History
Episode B2: Jade Phoenix
Episode B3: Super Ecksdee Panic

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Yep, the no-cutscene mode is called "Classic Mode," and we'll be seeing that in our second playthrough of the game. A few incidental cutscenes still appear in this mode, but it's otherwise totally free of them. Besides that, cutscenes are also skippable, and single lines can be skipped by tapping A.

Whether or not you'd consider Freedom Planet to be something you'd enjoy as a "good Sonic game" depends mainly on what you get out of Sonic games. If the joy of Sonic games for you is memorizing layouts and beating your best times, then yeah, you'll get that. If you like fast-paced levels with varied pathways, then you'll get that, too. Freedom Planet starts to break off from Sonic when it comes to combat, boss fights and moment-to-moment platforming, though (for example, Sonic's challenge lies in its stages, where FP's challenge is usually more in its bosses). Comparisons to Sonic are still worthwhile (and we'll almost certainly be making them), but Freedom Planet's heart lies just as much with other Sega Genesis classics, and this'll become gradually more apparent as we move forward.

but yeah the VA is kinda' whack

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 21, 2017

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode 2: Relic Maze

I hoped you enjoyed those cutscenes in the first episode 'cause we're in it for the long haul, now.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 27, 2017

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode 3: Fortune Night

Coming off the back of Relic Maze, Fortune Night is level that feels straightforward in platforming but has a lot of vertical openness. It also has a couple great boss fights! And still a lot of cutscene.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode 4: Sky Battalion

In this episode, Punchy and I have finally become so exhausted with the game's cutscenes that we're at a loss for words.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode 5: Jade Creek
Now, we're in Jade Creek. This is one of the game's better levels, especially if you're interested in going fast. In fact, Punchy follows his speedrun muscle memory for the first 10 seconds of gameplay.

Mr. Highway posted:

I'd say the voice acting is mediocre, so far. I haven't heard anything horrible, but they do have a lack of inflection. Just about every line is delivered the same as every other line so far. It's like the voice actors focused on having unique, cartoonish voices but hadn't developed them fully.
It's a bit hard to hear over me and Punchy talking, but other than the acting itself being decidedly mediocre, a major detriment to the VO is the way that several characters have totally different mic qualities. I won't bang on about this too much since I seem to be wholly unable to keep mic quality for myself and Punchy consistent across this LP (due to the fact that we don't have a fixed distance that we sit from our microphones), but it's pretty jarring in a video game.

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 18, 2017

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode 6: Thermal Base

Where the level's good and the plot doesn't mean anything - this is the essence of Freedom Planet.

Katsuma posted:

This whole game has some fantastic music, but Jade Creek's level themes really stand out to me, and are far and away my favorites. Leila Wilson does some great work.

Love the LP, too. For all of Freedom Planet's faults, I have an inordinate love for the game; it's great to see it appraised so thoroughly by commentators who are actually pleasant to listen to.

Yes! I respect Woofle's work a lot. She's got a recognizable but very cohesive style, good use and reuse of melodic motifs, mixing abilities that are easy on the ears.

And I'm glad you're enjoying the LP! We deliberated on its creation for at least a year, it's good to see that passion, knowledge, and handsome voices sell an LP as well as ever.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Section Z posted:

As my last normal playthrough was with Carol, I'm getting reminded again how Lilac is basically easy mode by comparison by a large margin. Any and all "Actually, Carol is more efficient when-" tends to involve way more button inputs and having to bother with timing. Or, you know. Just sitting with your thumb up your rear end waiting for even some of the easy bosses to come within Carol's attack/wall jump range in the first place :v:
Yeah, Carol's a bit gimped and a large number of bosses simply aren't balanced around her moveset. This is especially unfortunate because it means that, even at higher skill levels, she still can't outpace Lilac for the vast majority of fights. Compare this to Milla, whose moveset (no free invuln) and small health pool definitely makes bosses a bigger threat than they are with the other two, but has incredible damage output at higher level play that allows her to take out some bosses faster than the other two can.

Carol's Wild Claw does help to shrink the gap a fair bit, but this is a move that most people will either find out about well into the game by pure accident or never discover at all (though I can't think of a way to "fix" that).

quote:

What's it say about how botched the writing is when I think the Magister is still a bigger rear end in a top hat than the guy torturing you giving the stock 'Maybe it is YOU who are the assholes? hmmm? DEEP'. I guess it's because he's supposed to be an rear end in a top hat, while the Magister and Panda cop are still talking down to little miss BBQ face washing up on shore half dead like she was caught shoplifting. But have that whole "No, he's supposed to be the noble smart authority figure :downs:" vibe to the writing.
With respect to Brevon's doofy "it's your fault" speech, this does actually get addressed/half-lampshaded later on. Strife does know about these clichés, but it seems like there was some conflict on whether Brevon should be a villain with actual purpose and backstory, or just some evil guy having fun being evil - either of these things are okay, but they're a bit odd when mixed as they are in this game.

In addition: for what it's worth, the first trailer for Freedom Planet 2 teased that the Magister may not be as pure as we're lead to believe in this game. Whether this is intended through FP1's writing or not is anyone's guess, but it wouldn't be the only instance of plot points probably being added with the sole interest of expanding upon them in future games (which we'll be seeing a bit of in the next video).

Ultigonio fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Apr 27, 2017

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode 7: Pangu Lagoon

This is the first time I have ever bothered to google the meaning of this word. It makes sense.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

Kibayasu posted:

Also this isn't really a complaint because I do like seeing the levels just get destroyed but your map knowledge combined with the enemies that aren't threats until they actually attack makes things go super quick. I think the bee enemies are the first ones in a while I've gotten a good look at, and even that is via aggregate, not because I was able to see one for a while :v:
Fair point - I've got an idea for how we might be able to address this before we get into an even faster playthrough of the game.

Thotimx posted:

I have nothing profound to say here, but I am enjoying this well-done LP. I've never played Freedom Planet, but both the level discussions and the commentary on the plot has been entertaining so far.
Thank you! Freedom Planet is an excellent game for this particular video format because both sides of it are very dense with things to talk about.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode 8: Battle Glacier
Another week, another FP video - we're just about to get into the final stretch of the game.

If you'd like to listen to the cutscene track that plays at the end of the video in isolation, you can do so here: https://galaxytrail.bandcamp.com/track/snowfields

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode 9: Final Dreadnought (1&2)

We're now at the penultimate episode of our casual playthrough of Freedom Planet. Enjoy!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode 10: Final Dreadnough (3&4)

And with that, our standard playthrough of Freedom Planet comes to a close. We're still pretty far from done, though. Coming up next is a dive into the history of the game's core developer, Strife.

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Hey, folks! No new video quite yet, since I forgot how picky I can get about solo commentary and tried to stuff five days worth of work into just two. Instead, I've uploaded some old gimmick runs of mine for your viewing pleasure.

Blindfolded Dragon Valley

Blindfolded Relic Maze

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode B1: GalaxyTrail History

Alright! We're now in the ~history~ part of this LP, starting with a general overview of Strife's pre-FP games.

For the next three videos, I'll be covering Jade Phoenix, Super Ecksdee Panic, and Christmas Time Heroes in their own separate videos. If you'd like to try these games before seeing my commentary over them, you can grab them here: http://www.create-games.com/profile.asp?id=3481

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
I'm back from my uh, vacation!

Episode B2: Jade Phoenix

Strife's first big project was an action-platform game called Jade Phoenix. It was never finished, but even the released "beta" version of the game is chock full of content.

If you'd like to try Jade Phoenix for yourself, you can do so by grabbing it from here: http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=7856

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
Episode B3: Super Ecksdee Panic

Somewhere around the time Strife started losing steam on Jade Phoenix, he decided to try his hand at a sort of personal 30-day "jam". The result of that is the surprisingly polished Super Ecksdee Panic.

If you wanna try Super Ecksdee Panic out, you can download it from The Daily Click: http://www.create-games.com/download.asp?id=8298

Kibayasu posted:

The camera really is one of those things you don't notice until it's not working right. Watching the camera move with (nearly) every movement the character makes at such a close distance was indeed pretty disorienting if it went on for longer than a few seconds.
Yeah, the best way to tell that your camera's working well is basically a test of how much you notice what it's doing, barring instances where the camera makes exaggerated movements for highlighting or style. For what it's worth, Strife learned his lesson pretty thoroughly, and the camera systems in his games following Jade Phoenix have been solid.

• Locked thread