Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Between Breath of the Wild, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Nier Automata, and with Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2 and Dragon Quest XI on the way, this really feels like the year Japan stopped playing around and just decided to kill western developers already

Zas posted:

this + ffxv

actually i guess that wa slast year but i played it this year

Fumaofthelake posted:

Splatoon 2

God Bless Japan

Oh yeah and Xenoblade 2

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Oh and Mario Odyssey

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's a re-release but also Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age.

Fungah! posted:

yakuza kiwami ths summer too

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Gravity Rush 2 and Resident Evil 7 seem win too but I haven't played them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

theyre better at making games cause they care more + understand the medium better, maybe

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

I love Japanese games and the amiibo they have wrought

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
There needs to be a Japanese Dark Souls.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

There needs to be a Japanese Dark Souls.

It's Nioh and it came out like two weeks ago.

Actually I guess it might be a little more like Demon than Dark since there are discrete missions. Kind of like a Monster Hunter thing but with actually good combat and cool poo poo.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

la mulana 2s suppsed to come out this year too i thnk, it sounds like theyre mostly done aside from bug fixes nd finalizing maps now

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUxJpDtg0Bs

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP5lz2CYNR4

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
GIRUGAMESH

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I can't name a genre I like that Japan doesn't do better. Burnout maybe?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
they really are making us look like a bunch of clowns this year. mass effect: andromeda was all the clowns crabwalking and mugging as they exited the clown car and dooted around the big top.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
japanese FPS games: RE7, Metroid Prime, Wii Sports Resort?

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Are there any Japanese RTS games?

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

I think Prime was made by a Western studio.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

mysterious frankie posted:

they really are making us look like a bunch of clowns this year. mass effect: andromeda was all the clowns crabwalking and mugging as they exited the clown car and dooted around the big top.

Shadow of War will probably be fun as long as you don't get really OP really fast like you did in the first. As excited as RDR2 makes me, all this talk of them taking lots of influence from GTA Online has me worried that it'll end up being a Pay2win grindfest :( everything else is either bland or downright bad. What the hell are we doing LOL

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Nippon Banzai!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

HolePisser1982 posted:

Their shooter scene has always been more third person based (Vanquish, Binary Domain, the REs)

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Zas posted:

theyre better at making games cause they care more + understand the medium better, maybe

The bulk of western developers, including every AAA dev, have grown increasingly obsessed with either replacing or melding with Hollywood and they don't seem to understand that video games are a completely separate medium from movies/TV and that insane production budgets and A-list celebrity casting is actually detrimental in the long run

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Slavic devs are the wacky wildcard

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Plutonis posted:

Their shooter scene has always been more third person based (Vanquish, Binary Domain, the REs)

being outside a buff guy vs. inside a buff guy is a debate as old as time

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i bought a ps3 at the end of 2015 and made a list of every game i might want to get for it. at the end i realized my list was 100% japanese

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
how mechanically and technically excellent BOTW is should make bethesda softworks feel extremely embarrassed

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Weird Euros like CDProjektRED, Paradox and Taleworlds will save Western Gaming

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The bulk of western developers, including every AAA dev, have grown increasingly obsessed with either replacing or melding with Hollywood and they don't seem to understand that video games are a completely separate medium from movies/TV and that insane production budgets and A-list celebrity casting is actually detrimental in the long run

Yeah, I think the problem is that Western companies are trying to please everyone within a wide demographic of people in order to make as much money as humanly possible, where the Japanese business model of "Sold enough to keep the lights on last year; adjust for inflation and do the same thing this year" leaves their developers more inclined to just not give much of a gently caress about anyone except their little hyperniche corner of the market, which leads to more interesting, creative games that, even when they're blatantly pandering failures, still have some kind of weird integrity to them. This just happens to be an especially bad year of failures- especially when stacked against what Japan is putting out- for the West (so far).

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Lumpy the Cook posted:

yeah for sure, it seems like even when japan does movie style stuff like mgs and ff they are still aware of how to keep the movie thing in check.

i talked to harry gregson williams once about working with kojima and i guess a lot of kojima's direction was over email, stuff like "imagine.... you are looking at someone, and they can't see you. now imagine you are looking at them.. and they can see you!"

wheras his scoring call of duty was like, he was watching video of kevin spacey in a mocap suit doing goofy poo poo.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I cant believe the weeabo circlejerk fuckfest going on in this thread. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN loving MOBE TO JAPAN WEEABOI loving TRASH!!

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

HORMELCHILI posted:

I cant believe the weeabo circlejerk fuckfest going on in this thread. IF YOU DONT LIKE IT THEN loving MOBE TO JAPAN WEEABOI loving TRASH!!

こんにちは

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sector_corrector posted:

how mechanically and technically excellent BOTW is should make bethesda softworks feel extremely embarrassed

i cnt imagine being the kind of person whod get skyrim on the switch when you could just play breath of the wild again

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Shooters, RTS, Grand Strategy, Beat Em Ups, Vehicle Combat, Sports, the list loving goes on. Idk what else to expect from an anime freaking avatar though

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Just wait until red dead 2 comes out and makes all this poo poo look like fisher fuckin price. Rockstar will be rewriting the future of gaming once again, lesbienzies can go gently caress himself

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Fungah! posted:

i cnt imagine being the kind of person whod get skyrim on the switch when you could just play breath of the wild again

it's a stealth play by nintendo to get people to compare botw's exploration with skyrim ('see that mountain?')

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Plutonis posted:

Weird Euros like CDProjektRED, Paradox and Taleworlds will save Western Gaming

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

it's a stealth play by nintendo to get people to compare botw's exploration with skyrim ('see that mountain?')

They even have the terrible dlc

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I thought the last DLC pack was supposed to be the best part of Skyrim. The one where you go to the island and it's written by the crazy Morrowind writer

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I thought the last DLC pack was supposed to be the best part of Skyrim. The one where you go to the island and it's written by the crazy Morrowind writer

i would say that it's the best part of the game

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

cover shooter

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Are there any Japanese RTS games?

Check out gotta protectors on 3ds eshop

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

HORMELCHILI posted:

Shooters, RTS, Grand Strategy, Beat Em Ups, Vehicle Combat, Sports, the list loving goes on. Idk what else to expect from an anime freaking avatar though
All the classic western dev beat em ups like avp and the dungeons and dragons games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The stalker games were a fluke and slavs are subhuman like the chinese

• Locked thread