Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Lots of good stuff. Richard never masturbated and Jonah didn't hit puberty till 19.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Lots of good stuff. Richard never masturbated and Jonah didn't hit puberty till 19.

"Me too!" is the line read of the season.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
There was nothing about this episode that wasn't fantastic. Richard discovering masturbation (he and Jonah are bros for life :3:), Danny getting forced into a sex scandal, Mike somehow catching on to Selina's horrible upbringing before her (and them destroying the barn)..it was all great

Also, more Mary Holland, please :swoon:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

PostNouveau posted:

but when it did, it hit like a loving thunderbolt.

Henchman of Santa posted:

"Me too!" is the line read of the season.

gonna second this

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

So this is going to be Julia Louis-Dreyfus' Emmy episode. Good stuff.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
She should really pull a Frasier and tell people to stop giving her Emmys. At some point you have enough Emmys. Let someone else win an Emmy.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Richard Splett continues to be an amazing character. These last two episodes have been on fire and feels like the magic is back.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Vanderdeath posted:

Richard Splett continues to be an amazing character. These last two episodes have been on fire and feels like the magic is back.

All you Splett fans NEED to watch Detroiters. Sam Richardson is so funny in it.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
"that old popcorn homo"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Popelmon posted:

All you Splett fans NEED to watch Detroiters. Sam Richardson is so funny in it.

As someone from the area who loves Richard I tried and found it painfully unfunny after three episodes.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

Caught up on this season today and it remains tied with Better Call Saul for the best show on TV.

Same :):hf::)

I mean, besides Rick & Morty.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is easily the funniest season of the show's entire run, and I've only watched the first 2 eps.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
I recently binged watched 5 seasons to catch up with everyone. I love this show. All the episodes feel like a sprint cause the dialogue just doesn't quit.

3rd grade reading level in the 10th grade! :mad:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

DC Murderverse posted:

Mike and Gary are gently caress-up buddies!

edit: Minna Hokannen might be my favorite recurring character in all television

Oh god, I only just realised that's Sally Philips. She's been around, and incredibly funny, on British TV forever. Really perfect casting.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

splett2@splettnet.net

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
All caught up. The most recent episode is definitely one of the top 3 of the series. Richard Splett is amazing.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I'm only 3 episodes into the current season, but having watched the entire series for the first time over the past few months, it feels like it's become noticeably broader and more sitcom-y over the past couple of years. It's certainly still reliably funny, but I feel like it's reached the stage that most comedies do where everybody turns into a bit of a caricature.

Edit: to put a finer point on it, it feels like everyone has gotten dumber.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 19, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Have you seen the state of American politics my friend?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I binged this entire show over the past few weeks and holy poo poo, I am sorry I've missed it for so long. Never have I watched a show that brings me to literal tears of laughter at some point.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

General Dog posted:

I'm only 3 episodes into the current season, but having watched the entire series for the first time over the past few months, it feels like it's become noticeably broader and more sitcom-y over the past couple of years. It's certainly still reliably funny, but I feel like it's reached the stage that most comedies do where everybody turns into a bit of a caricature.

Edit: to put a finer point on it, it feels like everyone has gotten dumber.

I've made the same comment last season. The show is definitely broader without Iannucci. It is fun to hear new humiliating nicknames for Jonah, but it's not the same type of fun.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

theflyingexecutive posted:

Have you seen the state of American politics my friend?

Television is about escapism, is it so bad I want to indulge in a fantasy setting where politicians are at least competent at lying and concealing corruption?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
Just how they released that clip of Tony Hale and Julia Louis-Dreyfus doing each others' lines, they should reenact all the stuff that's coming out. I bet Matt Walsh could deliver some Spicer-esque performances.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Matt Walsh is literally Sean Spicer after a solid decade of Giving No More Fucks

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

General Dog posted:

Television is about escapism, is it so bad I want to indulge in a fantasy setting where politicians are at least competent at lying and concealing corruption?

Watch house of cards then? idk what to tell you my dude

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

oh my god the Furlong home is magical

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh god this speech

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

this episode might as well be called "What Assholes Think Hillary Clinton Is Really Like"

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"I'm gonna drink some champizzle and eat some poontizzle"

"No you're not!"

Mary Holland :swoon:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think Selina's ever been as awful as these last few episodes. It's getting to be a bit much.

loving dinner at the Furlong house though, wow.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

GobiasIndustries posted:

"I'm gonna drink some champizzle and eat some poontizzle"

"No you're not!"

Mary Holland :swoon:

I've seen this actress in a million things before, but I never knew her name until now. I've always mentally referred to her as Resting Bitch Face.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think Selina's ever been as awful as these last few episodes. It's getting to be a bit much.

loving dinner at the Furlong house though, wow.

For real. Selina's almost completely unlikable at this point. I know she's supposed to be extremely desperate to get a modicum of recognition for her contributions but she's become so abrasive this season. I think they're also getting into "Meg from Family Guy" territory with Catherine, too.

I still love the show but I hope all of Selina's awfulness is build-up for some sorta plot reason.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

One of the kids in the sudanese village was wearing a tattered "Jonah Ryan" shirt.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Selina is Elaine. She really just is. And Julia Louis-Dryfus is masterful at playing it.

Selina is a terrible person in a position of privilege by extremely lucky circumstance. We haven't seen her to have any skills. Personally, we've known and loved her for years for being an abhorrent monster.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Vanderdeath posted:

I think they're also getting into "Meg from Family Guy" territory with Catherine, too.

I was really happy with s5, and initially thought the writing held up well without Iannucci at the helm, but this episode in particular felt more like maybe a script a fan wrote? I can't put my finger on it, but everything felt a little too exaggerated. I might just feel this way because I recently re-watched a few of my fave episodes of The Thick of It, but the Jonah bit about his mom and Will's poopy pants line in particular just didn't land with me.

The show is fun, but the quality isn't quite the same. Kent and Ben still have consistently great writing though, I'll hang on through any slump just for those two.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, S5 was great and kept the standards of previous seasons but as S6 goes on, I'm less and less interested and Selina is unlikeable without being particularly funny. I couldn't even be bothered to finish watching last week's ep.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
This show has the deepest bench on tv and y'all are worried about Selina's likability, idgi

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, S5 was great and kept the standards of previous seasons but as S6 goes on, I'm less and less interested and Selina is unlikeable without being particularly funny. I couldn't even be bothered to finish watching last week's ep.

I dunno, some bits were really strong, especially the dinner at Furlong's house. His poor loving assistant is just the saddest, most pathetic guy on earth, I love how he's just so defeatedly resigned to repeating whatever awful stuff Furlong's told him to say, and then "You'll want to take it to church and marry it, Rog! :)" to fool his wife. I also cracked up hard at the line in the thread title -- did it come from a promo or something? I wasn't expecting it at all, I thought it was just some snippet from a past episode that I hadn't caught.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Vanderdeath posted:

For real. Selina's almost completely unlikable at this point. I know she's supposed to be extremely desperate to get a modicum of recognition for her contributions but she's become so abrasive this season. I think they're also getting into "Meg from Family Guy" territory with Catherine, too.

I still love the show but I hope all of Selina's awfulness is build-up for some sorta plot reason.

It's getting there with Mike, too.

The Ben/Kent/Jonah storyline is a lot better, I think.

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

This show has the deepest bench on tv and y'all are worried about Selina's likability, idgi

I think that's just an indication of how the writing has changed. In seasons 1-4 she was just as selfish, insensitive and unprincipled, but she was written in such a way that she had a certain appeal as a character. It takes deft writing to make such a terrible person dance back and forth in likability, and for me, that's where a lot of the fun of the show came from. In this season (to me) the character feels flatter, and lacks that subtle quality from earlier seasons, but she's more audaciously awful in funny ways.

It's subjective, of course, I'm sure there are a lot of Curb fans watching the show who may really enjoy the direction they've pushed her character more recently; as opposed to Ianucci fans who may prefer when characters are reigned in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Vanderdeath posted:

The difference between this and Family Guy though (aside from the general quality of the writing) is that the only person who keeps insulting Catherine (and Mike) is Selena. Everyone on Family Guy takes shots at Meg all the time, this one is just Selena lashing out because she's no longer in power and Catherine actually has good things going for her.

I think Selena is getting worse, but it also makes sense for her. When she was president (and even Veep) there was a power structure in place that put her above 99.9% of everyone in the entire world, especially her staff. Now that she's not the president, she's lost her power, so she's lashing out. It mirrors how she felt about her mother (she is becoming her mother!), and if I had to guess, is a deliberate choice and not just a Flandersization of her character. Everyone on the show in her sphere of influence is getting more and more desperate because they have less and less power. Which is why Dan and Jonah, who are actually growing in stature in the world (not physically, thankfully for Jonah) don't seem as off; they're doing fine.

If there's any character who I think has been given the short end of the stick this season, it's Amy. She spent the first third of the season away from everyone else acting like the worst version of herself, and now that she's back with Selena she's just sitting in the background. I know there are a lot of characters in Veep, so not everyone is gonna get the attention they deserve, but she's not like Kent or Ben where them sitting back and making mean insults toward Jonah fits perfectly with where they are.

• Locked thread