Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Propaganda Machine posted:

Selina is Elaine. She really just is. And Julia Louis-Dryfus is masterful at playing it.

Selina is a terrible person in a position of privilege by extremely lucky circumstance. We haven't seen her to have any skills. Personally, we've known and loved her for years for being an abhorrent monster.

She was never a mastermind or anything, but I feel like in the first few seasons she could at least have been described as a shrewd politician. At this point she's gone off the deep end morally and professionally in a way we haven't really seen before. That's a reasonable place to take the character, but if they plan on making more TV after this I don't know how they can pull her back from the brink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

It's been a funny season but the plot structure of "Selina gets two offers from people with competing interests, chooses the less morally justified side out of self interest and ends up screwed because of it somehow" is getting a little tired

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

This show has the deepest bench on tv and y'all are worried about Selina's likability, idgi

It's still really funny, and I don't think Selina's actions are ruining the show or anything.

But she's selling weapons, loving over women in South Sudan, backing enormous crooks in whatever Eastern European country that was in that other episode, voting to raise prices for cancer drugs. I can't recall her ever doing stuff as awful as all that before.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

She's always been utterly awful to the people around her. This season is basically her repeatedly slamming into rock bottom and going full arsehole.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

"Well I think it's rad. That's a combination of retarded and sad."

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

cohsae posted:

She's always been utterly awful to the people around her. This season is basically her repeatedly slamming into rock bottom and going full arsehole.

Makes sense, she did lose an extremely close election and have to seek help afterwards.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Rots of ruck with that!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm gonna start saying yoloha to people all the time

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think this show is still extremely funny and way above pretty much any comedy in recent years, but I absolutely agree that it took a turn after Iannucci left. The comedy and the satirical elements felt way, way sharper in the seasons he was at the helm and now the show feels much more like a traditional comedy. There are still many bits in it where it's appropriately edgy in a hilarious way and they make good use of the characters but now it definitely lacks something. It's really the characters that keep it alive and as funny as it is and that's largely thanks to Iannucci's touch.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Season 5 was amazing though

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
Not compared to the previous 4 it wasn't, the comedy was far more overt. Perhaps that resonates more with American viewers?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The change between seasons 4 and 5 was pretty subtle, maybe Iannucci had plans for it before he left that they used or something. It's been a gradual change but there's definitely a difference.

Like I said, I think it's still a fantastic show, but it's not what it was when Iannucci was the showrunner. Not worse, just different.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Echoing what others have said. Selina was always vicious towards everyone around her but the environment made her sympathetic. We saw how all the other politicians were, no wonder she had to buckle down to be the meanest and nastiest to get to where she was. And while it makes sense for her to become even worse after losing so hard, it's harder to watch because she doesn't seem so sympathetic anymore.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Prepare for another year of disappointment then, as it's been renewed for s7. I'm still loving it.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

hugh laurie!

edit: why are women always asking each other if they're alright when I'm talking to them?

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 29, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"I have got a White House book hotter than Nancy Reagan's Guide to Cocksucking"

edit:

"Investing with a Concience"
"Oh so it's Sci-fi."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
God, Congressman Ryan is, like, too real.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
That wood wouldn't even burn correctly :mad:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

It sounds like they found literal quotes from Ted Cruz and added them to Jonah's lines.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
"This stupid hat is too small for my head"
"Yarmulke!"
"Fine, the stupid hat is too small for my yarmulke"
"It's ok, Jonah, conversion to Judaism is about a commitment to the Jewish lifestyle"
"Oh, good, cuz all this learning is giving me a yarmulke-ache"

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Veep is undergoing the same thing as most other comedies. They start with something relatively grounded and then each progressive season ups the ante a little more until eventually everyone turns into a caricature of their former selves. Which is OK by me because it's still as hilarious as ever. My only "issue" is that Selina used to have this big goal of becoming President with everyone aligned to help her and now the show seems to be made up of random shenanigans that have barely any connection to each other.

Doflamingo fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 29, 2017

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I really liked the flow of that episode. Jonah loving up Selina's plans while Kent and Ben can't control him and Dan reporting on the sidelines. It was the first time this season that everyone's new places in the world didn't seem disjointed and temporary.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'm imagining a scenario where Jonah becomes speaker and then Selina somehow uncovers some dirty poo poo on Montez et al but it just leads to Jonah becoming president.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I love how Dan can't fake an emotional connection to someone he's actually loving. And it's sort of obvious but I really hope that this show ends with Congressman Ryan becoming President Ryan as a demonstration of how Meyer ever rose in politics in the first place since with each progressive season they make her more like him and less astute or savvy with the implication being that she was always this way and just had a strong team around her during her rise. Watch as more people attach themselves to the Ryan train.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The scenes between Hugh Laurie and Julia Louis-Dreyfuss are great because they've got this intensity and mood that is completely different from the rest of the show but while being tonally very different manages to not seem crammed in and really provides depth to their characters. It's what make Myers seem more vulnerable and damaged and makes her much more sympathetic in all the others moments where she does horrible things to everyone in her life.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

DC Murderverse posted:

edit: why are women always asking each other if they're alright when I'm talking to them?

Because even high-level professional women literally constantly get creeped on and have to constantly have each others backs...not even for relationship-building with fellow women as much as just solidarity.

Basically:

PostNouveau posted:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

ultramiraculous posted:

Because even high-level professional women literally constantly get creeped on and have to constantly have each others backs...not even for relationship-building with fellow women as much as just solidarity.

Basically:

Yes :thejoke: is that Jonah doesn't realize how creepy people think he is

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

theflyingexecutive posted:

Yes :thejoke: is that Jonah doesn't realize how creepy people think he is

Yeah DC Murderwave missed the joke.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Pretty sure they were just reposting the joke.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I don't think that's the joke actually. I'm nothing like Jonah yet women are also always asking each other if they're alright when I'm talking to them.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hmmmm.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Orange Devil posted:

I don't think that's the joke actually. I'm nothing like Jonah yet women are also always asking each other if they're alright when I'm talking to them.

Hahaha

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Orange Devil posted:

:golfclap:

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Turns out there's a twenty one minute youtube of Richard Splett's best moments from season 5.

That seems about right.

It even sounds like he named it: Richard Splett veep best moments season 5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEq7TWExBtI

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Orange Devil posted:

how you gonna play yourself like that

ultramiraculous posted:

Yeah DC Murderwave missed the joke.

next time i will put literal quotation marks around quotes from the show you do not think that the terrible opinions expressed in the television show are my own

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Daylight saving times is total bullshit though.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nanomashoes posted:

Daylight saving times is total bullshit though.

Move to the bastion of civilization that is Arizona...or that one area in Indiana!

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I'd rather be dead in California than alive in Arizona.

...wrong show?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The Insect Court posted:

The scenes between Hugh Laurie and Julia Louis-Dreyfuss are great because they've got this intensity and mood that is completely different from the rest of the show but while being tonally very different manages to not seem crammed in and really provides depth to their characters. It's what make Myers seem more vulnerable and damaged and makes her much more sympathetic in all the others moments where she does horrible things to everyone in her life.

I wanted them to bone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

How long has it been since both Fry and Laurie were on the same show? Not together obviously but kinda neat to have them on the same show.

• Locked thread