Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for starting the thread. I wanted to do it when the trailer came out but :effort:

I have to agree that Trump has already been more absurd than anything Veep thought of in the last five seasons, and the trailer didn't do too much for me either. But I think I felt the same way before and it was probably the lack of setup or content for the jokes, because the show's been brilliant. So yeah, let's see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Mike's just suddenly not as funny when we have to put up with Spicy IRL.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well that didn't take for someone to put two and two together.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I was originally a bit skeptical based on the trailer but while I can see how someone would be disappointed by the premiere, in the end thought it was pretty good. They had to do a lot of work to transition from last year when Selina was still the president, so I think it's understandable that some time had to be dedicate to setting up new roles for everyone. Now that this is done, IMO the show has great potential for the rest of the season, even if the first episode wasn't the best ever.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Henchman of Santa posted:

Also Killswitch Engage and Kid Rock

Jonad is the worst. Also because he took down "Working Man".

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So as mentioned, although I was concerned a bit about Trump ruining everything, I thought it wasn't really the case the way they went this season. That said...

quote:

...the writers did encounter one situation where a joke was just too similar to a topic in the news, and it had to do with a “golden shower.”

Indeed, they had planned to lob something pee-related toward (who else?) punching bag Jonah Ryan, but then came the unconfirmed dossier that alleged Donald Trump hired prostitutes to pee on a bed in a Moscow hotel room. “We hadn’t filmed it yet, and we realized, ‘Oh, we need to change that‘ [because of the Trump-Russia dossier],” Mandel said. “Who knew we would literally have to change a Veep golden showers joke because of the real president of the United States of America? It doesn’t get any weirder than that.”
:laffo:

http://www.avclub.com/article/veep-had-cut-golden-shower-joke-being-too-politica-253658

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Great episode, but what's with making GBS threads all over Georgia? :mad: It's a cool place that had reasonable success with democracy and fighting corruption (by regional standards), at least until Russia happened.

E: Though Fry was clearly a stand in for Yushchenko, and the exterior shots would also make more sense for Ukraine, they don't paint the fingers either so it's probably just meant to be some mishmash of EE shitholes

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 2, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno if it's because I was tired, hungry, sleepy, or all of the above, but somehow this episode didn't really connect. Although my only somewhat objective critique would be Selina's reaction to the heart attack news. I realize she's vain and everything but that reaction to learning about having a heart attack seems a bit too much even for her. But I should probably rewatch this.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So, ugh, what happened? There wasn't an episode this week? Silicon Valley will save me from lovely sitcoms for a day but that only goes so far without seeing Selina destroying fools .verbally

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Selina just might go back to the spa for a while!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought that was intended as a kind of double entendre, like
he meant: "As soon as I heard what a vulnerable state you were in, I got on the first flight [to support you]."
we heard : "As soon as I heard what a vulnerable state you were in, I got on the first flight [to take advantage of you]."

• Locked thread