Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Vanderdeath posted:

I think they're also getting into "Meg from Family Guy" territory with Catherine, too.

I was really happy with s5, and initially thought the writing held up well without Iannucci at the helm, but this episode in particular felt more like maybe a script a fan wrote? I can't put my finger on it, but everything felt a little too exaggerated. I might just feel this way because I recently re-watched a few of my fave episodes of The Thick of It, but the Jonah bit about his mom and Will's poopy pants line in particular just didn't land with me.

The show is fun, but the quality isn't quite the same. Kent and Ben still have consistently great writing though, I'll hang on through any slump just for those two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalesteak
May 6, 2013

Henchman of Santa posted:

This show has the deepest bench on tv and y'all are worried about Selina's likability, idgi

I think that's just an indication of how the writing has changed. In seasons 1-4 she was just as selfish, insensitive and unprincipled, but she was written in such a way that she had a certain appeal as a character. It takes deft writing to make such a terrible person dance back and forth in likability, and for me, that's where a lot of the fun of the show came from. In this season (to me) the character feels flatter, and lacks that subtle quality from earlier seasons, but she's more audaciously awful in funny ways.

It's subjective, of course, I'm sure there are a lot of Curb fans watching the show who may really enjoy the direction they've pushed her character more recently; as opposed to Ianucci fans who may prefer when characters are reigned in a bit.

• Locked thread