Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Tankakern posted:

so much wrongposting here, its painful

we want to hear your opinions about open source office clones :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

libreoffice good, openoffice bad, why do people mention oracle

Wells
Sep 21, 2008

THIS IS A BIZ!!!
Lipstick Apathy
is wordperfect still in development? that's the best one. it even has "perfect" in the name, so u know

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
when I worked for ibm they decided to ditch ms word in favour of the ibm office suite which was somehow both based off OpenOffice and notes. it was so hosed up it was surreal but seemed sane compared to using ibm Maximo in ie8 on a p4.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Maximum Leader posted:

when I worked for ibm they decided to ditch ms word in favour of the ibm office suite which was somehow both based off OpenOffice and notes. it was so hosed up it was surreal but seemed sane compared to using ibm Maximo in ie8 on a p4.

they've come full circle and are back to office

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Tankakern posted:

lol opened libreoffice for the first time in ages today to see how things have progressed

writer still doesn't have a mechanism for moving a table

it can create them, but literally can't move them

the official workaround is to save the document, close writer, open the doc in microsoft word, move the table, save again, close word, and reopen it in writer

I first ran into this in 2007 and it still hasn't been fixed

libre sucks

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Issue 30782 - Please treat tables as object
Reported: 2004-06-27 20:50 UTC

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Maximum Leader posted:

IBM Lotus Symphony.

It was very bad.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

gently caress making tables in a word processor that poo poo looks like garbage. a better dumbass workaround would be to screenshot a table made elsewhere, and embed it as an image. this is still dumb as hell though, use better tools if you're writing a science paper or whatever. fuckin latex or html + css is better to work with than positioning graphic elements in a word processor

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

OldAlias posted:

gently caress making tables in a word processor that poo poo looks like garbage. a better dumbass workaround would be to screenshot a table made elsewhere, and embed it as an image. this is still dumb as hell though, use better tools if you're writing a science paper or whatever. fuckin latex or html + css is better to work with than positioning graphic elements in a word processor

actually word does these things very easily

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

hahahaha

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

that's the beauty of open sores, you can fix it urself :coal:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Bloody posted:

why is the chinese brand's name in english
it is very clearly japanese and japan has a bizarre fetish for english

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Symbolic Butt posted:

I'm still thinking about Mouse

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

i use an xps 13 from last year and would recommend it to most. the new dell xps 15 is great too, more ram and slightly better battery life. the touch screen is marginally useful but the thin bezel is really nice to use. the newest macs are good, lenovo p40 is good if you need a higher performance laptop like you are doing solidworks on an oil rig and you cant bring a desktop

lenovo t440 has a garbage trackpad and should be avoided. it is comically bad. they removed physical buttons and combined the worse features of all of their laptops to come up with this atrocity. when you click the whole touchpad moves a jarringly long distance.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

why don't we all just agree to use plain text. documents don't have to be pretty, they just have to be legible. take teh red pill

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

the official workaround is to save the document, close writer, open the doc in microsoft word, move the table, save again, close word, and reopen it in writer

lmao

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tankakern posted:

Because OpenOffice was owned by Sun and Oracle bought Sun and after not giving a poo poo for a while and letting the project die they gave it to the Apache foundation.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

apache foundation also apparently didn't care for it. I wonder who it'll be regifted to next

burning swine
May 26, 2004

I don't think the apache fork has any changes or fixes that the libre fork doesn't also have, so it should be allowed to die

then libre should be allowed to die

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just write with pencil on sheets of trees

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I only use the finest Microsoft products for most of my writing, and latex for when I hate myself.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i just use google docs at home and word at work, hth op

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

comedy answer: pages

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

carry on then posted:

comedy answer: pages

numbers is even worse

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pages is honestly fine if all you're doing is going straight to pdf or printer, but lol if you want to do any interop at all with anyone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Cold on a Cob posted:

i just use google docs at home and word at work, hth op

honestly this is the best option I can think of tbh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i write my documents in confluence markup

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

i write my documents in confluence markup

hell yes

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
codetalk your documents like that x files episode

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i wrote a few things in r markdown before realizing its total loving trash

pram
Jun 10, 2001
gently caress balls oval office poo poo

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

actually its ok to sign your posts sometimes.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

lol opened libreoffice for the first time in ages today to see how things have progressed

writer still doesn't have a mechanism for moving a table

it can create them, but literally can't move them

I first ran into this in 2007 and it still hasn't been fixed

libre sucks

hahaha

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

OldAlias posted:

word processors are categorically bad. libre is acceptable, as Word is not "better enough" to be worth money. keep what you do in them simple enough. if you need to embed media or have a bunch of particular formatting concerns use better tools

libre sucks in that its permanently like word 2003 or something

but its ok

pages isn't bad. lmao if you have to make a document that is at all confusing

I used styles in word 2010 to make a uni prohect. I made it dominate

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
word on mac is absolute garbage, even the new one.
pages is okay and has some modicum of sanity when trying to edit line spacing

none of this matters though because everyone uses word and you're not using it because it's good

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MeruFM posted:

word on mac is absolute garbage, even the new one.
pages is okay and has some modicum of sanity when trying to edit line spacing

none of this matters though because everyone uses word and you're not using it because it's good

word on mac is still a million times better than libraoffice. Which is really saying something.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
the word equation editor is actually p fun to use once you learn how to do it properly
wonder where they stole that process from

that's my word processing story

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
My only complaint with Word's equations is there's no easy way to number them in-line, at least there wasn't in 2007/2010. The easiest bodge was put them in an invisible table and put the number in an adjacent column.

Other than that equations + styles set to match Uni's style guide was loving amazing for smashing out engineering reports in a hurry.

Laptop chat: I'm a loving idiot and bought a Yoga 710 after my T410i caught fire. I don't miss the lovely screen, I do miss the trackpoint.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

echinopsis posted:

libre sucks in that its permanently like word 2003 or something

but its ok

pages isn't bad. lmao if you have to make a document that is at all confusing

I used styles in word 2010 to make a uni prohect. I made it dominate

they've introduced a ribbon style ui now

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/02/how-to-enable-libreoffice-ribbon-notebook-bar

• Locked thread