Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
No team and driver bios? The OP was what got me into closely following F1 in 2012, and the OP has been pretty comprehensive ever since. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

1989 was undeniable proof that Senna was retarded.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

You got those for a steal. Well done.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah the 14B is the active-suspension beast that took Mansell to the title?

So the 13B is the same car without the cool toys?

Oh, Aussies with Foxtel.. the 24 hour F1 channel is in full swing. Spent much of last night watching Senna eat up Prost and track marshals doing hilarious stuff that would never fly now.

Is Tamiya good? I don't know anything about models, but it could be cool. Are they worth more than the lady is asking? They're right near where I live, I'm sure I can go back and they'll still be there.

Nice models. The 13B is an entirely different design from the FW14. It was the last Williams with a manual gearbox. Passive suspension. It was a good car but somewhat ungainly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Minto Took posted:

You got those for a steal. Well done.

Read again what he did when he found them.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Reading things completely has never been a strength of mine.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

McMadCow posted:

No team and driver bios? The OP was what got me into closely following F1 in 2012, and the OP has been pretty comprehensive ever since. :(

You're right. The video isnt good enough. I'll add them ASAP for new readers.

harperdc posted:

I've already started on basic team/driver write-ups, I'll post them later tonight.

Thanks sir, ill be sure to add them to the OP

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 21, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TurboDrizzle posted:

You're right. The video isnt good enough. I'll add them ASAP for new readers.

I've already started on basic team/driver write-ups, I'll post them later tonight.

lotharr
Dec 24, 2003

Sorry Mark, we have no idea what's wrong with your KERS mate...

Wirth1000 posted:

Mayhaps disabling real full names on the league list lol

I don't think you can to be honest!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Cool new thread. Hope this year doesn't suck nuts...oh wait, McLaren is still wet garbage :smithicide:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Cool new thread. Hope this year doesn't suck nuts...oh wait, McLaren is still wet garbage :smithicide:

And it looks like poo poo this year too.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Sweet, time to start paying attention to this again! Atleast until I get bored of Merc winning every time

lotharr posted:

Wow this new interface is hot garbage.

https://gppredictor.com/leagues/join/58d06be7837ee9a303052fa1

Go forth and predict Mercedes winning everything until the end of time.

I'm in. This should go in the OP :getin:

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Gonna just chime in with my support for the ugliest of frog faced drivers, and the most beautiful man in the world.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Burning of the oil.

Just listening to a podcast now and it's interesting. So the deal is.. oil is there and it's full of calories and it's not as dense as the fuel itself but it's still combustible. There is discussion around some teams burning oil sort of like a fuel additive, including some oil into the fuel that gets squirted on top of the cylinder. Because oil isn't as closely regulated as the fuel, it's possible an additive is being put into the oil to make it a better fuel. This hasn't been confirmed but this ex-Benetton guy is talking about it, he's also saying they've gotta budget for about 5 kilos of oil to be burnt during the race (all race engines burn oil) and if you can make sure that 5 kilos is gone then that's a weight advantage. Ideally you'd want to burn oil to the point that that sump (or whatever the gently caress an F1 car has, the oil reservoir) is empty by the end of the race. It's a thin line because you go too far and you have a loving catastrophic failure (I'm sure an engine doesn't seize at 300kph, it more explodes) and not far enough and you're leaving time sloshing around in your oil sump.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Just stopped by to make my once per season post:

McLaren are poo poo, but watching Taki Inoue get hit by the medical car will never stop being funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pa3GrLfprM

[edit] What happened to Hefe? Did he actually try getting out of Venezuela?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Tony Montana posted:

Burning of the oil.

Just listening to a podcast now and it's interesting. So the deal is.. oil is there and it's full of calories and it's not as dense as the fuel itself but it's still combustible. There is discussion around some teams burning oil sort of like a fuel additive, including some oil into the fuel that gets squirted on top of the cylinder. Because oil isn't as closely regulated as the fuel, it's possible an additive is being put into the oil to make it a better fuel. This hasn't been confirmed but this ex-Benetton guy is talking about it, he's also saying they've gotta budget for about 5 kilos of oil to be burnt during the race (all race engines burn oil) and if you can make sure that 5 kilos is gone then that's a weight advantage. Ideally you'd want to burn oil to the point that that sump (or whatever the gently caress an F1 car has, the oil reservoir) is empty by the end of the race. It's a thin line because you go too far and you have a loving catastrophic failure (I'm sure an engine doesn't seize at 300kph, it more explodes) and not far enough and you're leaving time sloshing around in your oil sump.

Do you have a link? I'm interested.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Not really. You can Google and find Renault requesting further clarification on the rules around burning oil and some other snippets. The podcast I am listening to it where they go into it in some detail is from this site:
https://www.formula1blog.com/

It's a nice agreeable American asking an English engineer about F1 stuff, I found it quite pleasant to listen to.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

BOLD PREDICTIONS
All of the drivers will wine about something at some point during the season
Every driver will score points
El Hefe will post
Riso will re-reg, only to get banned less than a week later for spouting off racist poo poo again
Lewis will exit the closet
Michael Schumacher will make a public appearance
The USGP will be boycotted due to Trump
Renault won't be poo poo

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kilonum posted:

BOLD PREDICTIONS
1. All of the drivers will wine about something at some point during the season
2. Every driver will score points
3. El Hefe will post
4. Riso will re-reg, only to get banned less than a week later for spouting off racist poo poo again
5.Lewis will exit the closet
6. Michael Schumacher will make a public appearance
7. The USGP will be boycotted due to Trump
8. Renault won't be poo poo

1. bold but not bold.
2. definitely bold
3. Probably not. :smith:
4. Sure hope so!
5. Agreed
6. A state funeral would technically count, so I agree.
7. I loving wish.
8. hahahahaha

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
How does a company like Ferrari allocate so much money to F1? Do they set aside a bigger percentage than other firms or are they way more profitable than im guessing? anyway im excited about the season and look forward to this thread

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Not really. You can Google and find Renault requesting further clarification on the rules around burning oil and some other snippets. The podcast I am listening to it where they go into it in some detail is from this site:
https://www.formula1blog.com/

It's a nice agreeable American asking an English engineer about F1 stuff, I found it quite pleasant to listen to.

This was also mentioned by Sam Collins during last week's Radio Le Mans Midweek Motorsport. Comes to a similar conclusion - the Mercedes smelled more like an Actros than a racing car sometimes, Mercedes had asked for clarification previously, and the design of the engine leads to more natural oil burning than in a passenger car engine.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

eriddy posted:

How does a company like Ferrari allocate so much money to F1? Do they set aside a bigger percentage than other firms or are they way more profitable than im guessing? anyway im excited about the season and look forward to this thread

Well.. firstly Ferrari isn't Ferrari, Ferrari is a brand owned by Fiat. If you are American Fiat might not mean a lot to you, but to the rest of the world it sure does. Fiat are a huge Italian car manufacturer that produce a lot of domestic cars, so Ferrari's purse is actually the wallet of a big manufacturer just like Mercedes and Renault.

Ferrari doesn't spend the most in F1, well actually, in a thing I just read they topped the tables in 2016. But it's pretty close (Merc apparently spent a bit less, RBR less again) and I know from history other teams like McLaren have spent more in the past for specific years.

Why is there so much money floating around? Is that more the question? How is this series doing as it does when NASCAR sponsorship is slim? It's the World Drivers Championship and I think there are few other sports where a single series can seriously legitimately claim that. With Liberty Media's recent purchase even the USA, the last real bastion of F1 indifference, is getting onboard.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

Well.. firstly Ferrari isn't Ferrari, Ferrari is a brand owned by Fiat. If you are American Fiat might not mean a lot to you, but to the rest of the world it sure does. Fiat are a huge Italian car manufacturer that produce a lot of domestic cars, so Ferrari's purse is actually the wallet of a big manufacturer just like Mercedes and Renault.

lol

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Enjoying the season reviews so far.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Mods please make this my avatar.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hehe i dunno maybe heaps of Americans are cruising around in bambinos. I hope so :D

fun fact: Tony's first car was a 500 bambino that my mother bought brand new in the 60s. It had four on the floor and rear wheel drive.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Tony Montana posted:

Why is there so much money floating around? Is that more the question? How is this series doing as it does when NASCAR sponsorship is slim?
Yeah I mean I understand how Mercedes or even Red Bull can afford it and justify the cost, but a company like Ferrari that has huge margins but low gross revenue spending nearly half a billion a year for one sport is amazing and I wonder how they pull it off.

Obviously they can justify the cost as F1 directly aligns with much of their brand image, R&D, etc, but it's still an interesting question imo.

Also, I just came back from a consulting presentation at the Circuit de Barcelona and it happened to be the thursday of the 2nd week of F1 testing. It was unbelievable. F1 paddock's are insane.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ferrari aren't a little boutique car maker like Koenigsegg or something. Apparently after the Fiat buyout some complicated thing called Ferrari NV was created, but that's still owned by the parent Fiat group. Ferrari is the 'sports' brand of Fiat, like you have Fiat domestic cars and then sporty ones and then at the end of that spectrum is the Ferrari brand. All the money goes back to Fiat, or the Fiat Chrysler Auto group which is then owned by an investment company called Exor. Exor posted a 2015 revenue of 136 billion euro.

Ferrari is owned by a very large conglomerate which includes a huge and well known domestic car brand. They have buku money.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
My understanding was that the businesses in those conglomerates are financially independent, with their own P&L's and everything else. Regardless, I didn't know Ferrari was part of Fiat. It would make sense that even if Ferrari is completely independent from Fiat, Fiat subsidizes enough to make having a competitive F1 team feasible.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Don't mention the Marlboro money!

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

eriddy posted:

My understanding was that the businesses in those conglomerates are financially independent, with their own P&L's and everything else. Regardless, I didn't know Ferrari was part of Fiat. It would make sense that even if Ferrari is completely independent from Fiat, Fiat subsidizes enough to make having a competitive F1 team feasible.

hehe, European and particularly Italian accounting law.. do you really want to go there? You get the idea, it's probably as you say to some degree but Ferrari's parents are rich fuckers that let their little poo poo race in F1 even when he sucks for multiple years in a row.

julian assflange posted:

Don't mention the Marlboro money!

ha, another thing if you're a F1 noob is once upon a time it was ok to put tobacco advertising on cars and oh boy did they ever do that and everyone made a fuckton of money. So much so that probably a good percentage of movers and shakers in the paddock are just managing investments following that time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anybody watched races on NowTV, and is the quality decent enough?

Yes and Yes. Makes me wonder what I was paying for HD for. It's slightly worse quality than HD on the big TV but identical on the iPad.

Serious post: I've periodically asked about hefe in the venezualia thread, he got into a slap fight and a short probation in there and they are hoping that he's just taking a forum break.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

MustardFacial posted:

[edit] What happened to Hefe? Did he actually try getting out of Venezuela?

I've been out of the loop too, but judging by a forum search of his username, there's alot of people asking that question as he hasn't posted since Dec 25, 2016... :stare:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anybody watched races on NowTV, and is the quality decent enough?

It's not full HD but it's cheaper than buying Sky Sports any other way. It's how I watch my F1 - through a Roku box and 720p is good enough.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

ha, another thing if you're a F1 noob is once upon a time it was ok to put tobacco advertising on cars and oh boy did they ever do that and everyone made a fuckton of money. So much so that probably a good percentage of movers and shakers in the paddock are just managing investments following that time.

Or the fact that Marlboro's parent company Philip Morris still spends a shitload of money subletting the entire Ferrari sponsorship, to the tune of $160 million per year. They then sell on the sponsorship space, though obviously partners like Shell get more preferential treatment then Ray-Ban or others.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is this Alonso's last year? Assuming McLaren are as poor as people expect them to be.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Is this Alonso's last year? Assuming McLaren are as poor as people expect them to be.

Nothing is certain, but quite possibly. He talked about continuing so long as the cars are "fun." Given that they're probably going to be the fastest they've ever been, that might be enough to keep him interested. Unless, you know, the Honda is an irredeemable piece of poo poo and he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere for 2018 (which would be nice, but unlikely).

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Suzuka 89 owns. Can't get over seeing them go full speed down the pit lane phwoaaar

Need a permanent 24/7 F1 channel. Make it so Foxtel, I pay enough every month anyway...

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hehe yep I just watched that too! The extended onboard with Senna was sublime. Also the pass for the win was exactly the same except Prost shitcunted him on the way through. He wouldnt get away with that poo poo now

edit: adelaide!

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?
Haven't read the OP yet but I'm sure it's good. Just want to catch up on the last 2 pages of drivel from the off season thread.

As an aside, I'm watching the '89 Japan and '89 Adelaide races on Foxtel. How awesome is that!!

• Locked thread