Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Yeah the on board footage is epic for sure! Man they had to work so hard to wring everything out of those cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Senna did lunge like gently caress at Prost at turn 1 in Adelaide. If Prost hadnt responded they would have come together right there. Crazy bastards, both of them, great to watch

edit: Prost is such a bitch

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Mar 21, 2017

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I'd like to see them all drive a few laps holding brollies lol

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Garbage Poster
Garbage Thread
Garbage OP
Garbage Sport

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Tsaedje! You were the chosen one! You were meant to kill the bad posters, not join them, bring balance to the thread! :gonk:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Lol Adelaide '89 is insane.

Prost refuses to race because its too wet, they can't line up on the grid to start properly but they get the green flag anyway and people spinning everywhere throughout.

Its fascinating to see, given that F1 cars barely race in the wet these days.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ferrari is not a Fiat subsidiary. When they were spun off ownership was distributed to individual Fiat shareholders. Fiat plays no role whatsoever in funding anything Ferrari does.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Now, but according to Wiki it only split from FCA (Fiat Chrysler Auto) in Oct 2015. From 1988 to 2015 Ferrari was 90 percent owned by Fiat. But I was wrong, FCA has nothing to do with the brand new Ferrari 'NV'.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Bit of chat if you can stomach Sky Sports dolly bird Natalie Pinkham.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9eZbiuqCE4

McLaren and Honda's contract is to 2024. I feel like that is a worthy addition to the "this is a thing that actually happened" thread. We got any guesses on how long until Hack Clown backs out of the Honda deal and goes begging to Mercedes?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

McLaren and Honda's contract is to 2024.

:aaaaa:

Who was the numpty who organised that? Surely there must be a performance clause in that to get McLaren out of it.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

:aaaaa:

Who was the numpty who organised that? Surely there must be a performance clause in that to get McLaren out of it.

There are performance clauses for both sides.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Whats the opposite of a bold prediction? Anyway- my not-at-all bold prediction is that Nico Rosberg hangs around the F1 paddock for the rest of his days like a less-successful Jackie Stewart, giving endless unsolicited advice and opinions about how things were better "in my day" rather than having the grace and dignity to take his WDC and gently caress off to the golf course like thread hero and patron saint Nigel Mansell.

e: I've just realised even Mansell came back for another attempt in '95 so really the only F1 driver that took his WDC and left with any grace and dignity was Jochen Rindt. Oh how I wish Rosberg could be more like Rindt.

NtotheTC fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Mar 21, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

What about Rosberg senior?

I thought he more or less retired with dignity and kept out of the spotlight until his boy won it and he finally came out of whatever bunker he was hiding in to comment before dropping a smoke bomb and disappearing into myth again.

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

lotharr posted:

Wow this new interface is hot garbage.

https://gppredictor.com/leagues/join/58d06be7837ee9a303052fa1

Go forth and predict Mercedes winning everything until the end of time.

Johan Johansson checking in, driving for the famous StefanGP F1 team.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Carth Dookie posted:

What about Rosberg senior?

I thought he more or less retired with dignity and kept out of the spotlight until his boy won it and he finally came out of whatever bunker he was hiding in to comment before dropping a smoke bomb and disappearing into myth again.

He left Williams to go an race around in a McLaren almost as lovely as the current one, bowing to Prost's #1 status. I'm willing to forgive him that because he is the archetypal 'zero fucks given' F1 racer.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Mar 21, 2017

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"GP Predictor" added to OP. Be sure to sign up now before the race, i'll try keep the image updated after each round.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Gonna be pissed if I get up early on Sunday morning and don't see this at the end of the race:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
It'll be Hamilton, Bottas, and Ricciardo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

...off at the first corner

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Thanks Ants posted:

...off at the first corner

Taken out by the upside down Williams of Lance Stroll.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

He left Williams to go an race around in a McLaren almost as lovely as the current one, bowing to Prost's #1 status. I'm willing to forgive him that because he is the archetypal 'zero fucks given' F1 racer.

I don't think it was just bowing to Prost, Barnard ignored driver feedback alot of the time and the car had been designed with Prost's driving style in mind so Keke had a rough go making the tires work. Then Elio died and I'm pretty sure that was the thing that made Keke retire. When Keke poked his head up last year he actually mentioned that he confronted Barnard about it years later and Barnard just went "lol sorry mate, I was thinking about my move to Ferrari".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bold Prediction: Viewership suffers as the new owners flail about trying to figure out what to do, and in their flailing summon the beast that shall end the earth

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't think it was just bowing to Prost, Barnard ignored driver feedback alot of the time and the car had been designed with Prost's driving style in mind so Keke had a rough go making the tires work. Then Elio died and I'm pretty sure that was the thing that made Keke retire. When Keke poked his head up last year he actually mentioned that he confronted Barnard about it years later and Barnard just went "lol sorry mate, I was thinking about my move to Ferrari".

It was also comparatively old. 3 years is a really long time to use the same design. Also the Porsche engine simply wasn't up to snuff.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Criticize Keke's move all you want, it isn't nearly as dumb as Derek Warwick's career choice.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

EoRaptor posted:

It wouldn't be difficult to create a tranche system that lets Ferrari (and others) keep their current funding up to a set dollar figure, and then balances the percentages more in favour of smaller teams. Ferrari wouldn't see their revenue decrease, but if Liberty was able to grow F1 revenue, then Ferrari would start seeing lower and lower percentages above specified dollar tiers. It lets them be special and creates room for smaller teams to get better as F1 grows.

It's a widely used financial instrument, so I can't see it causing any legal issues with all the different countries F1 deals with either.

Stop suggesting good ideas, wicka will get mad! Just kidding, wicka's previous answer actually makes a lot of sense, but it IS hard for me to look at F1 as anything other than Bernie's version of it. I can't conceive of the new owners doing "normal" things to grow and expand the brand and revenue. Frankly, all this internet business is just a silly fad that has no practical applications concerning F1.

The tranche system would be a good way to approach the Ferrari problem, at least initially since their current agreement can't be touched.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

When Keke poked his head up last year he actually mentioned that he confronted Barnard about it years later and Barnard just went "lol sorry mate, I was thinking about my move to Ferrari".

I missed that - interesting tidbit!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

New thread new day for Lance Stroll to attempt murder

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011

Fucker in charge of you fucking fucks

I don't know how much stock you want to put into *~other forums~* but over on the F1 Technical forums there is a guy there who claims to be an engineer at Honda Racing Development, working on the new shitpile of an F1 engine. According to him, all of the breakdowns during testing were due to vibrations from their lovely TJI head design. He also says this:

Wazari posted:

It amazes me how much effort people take to try and discredit or put down other people on the Internet. To actually email the HR department at Sakura to figure out who I am, to that person, you need to find another hobby. So to all of those who think I’m a fraud or fake, just believe that I’m the head janitor at Sakura and my nephew is a part-time musubi-maker in the cafeteria. You might as well also stop reading here.

To the rest of you, I appreciate your kind words and this forum as I have mentioned is a form of entertainment and diversion for myself. I don’t think I will be posting for a while but will lurk from time to time. The internet has made the world so much smaller. This forum has allowed me to make a few close contacts and even meet one individual in person. Amazing! My contract with HRD ends this month and I am not going to continue. As I approach 70, I realize life is short and some of you know that my daughter has battled cancer twice and I plan on spending more time with her and the grandkids. I also have my personal automotive projects that have been neglected and need attending to. Enough about me.
I’ve always been known as a 反逆者 at Honda so I’m going post my opinion about this year’s PU and HRD in general. I was asked by a Honda enthusiast and journalist about this year’s PU and overall direction and here was my response from March 6th.

F1 has also changed immensely. Mostly the technology has become so complex that I don’t see how this translates to cost cutting. I suppose that eventually some of this technology might find its way into passenger cars but at what price? Can $150,000 ES devices be brought down to a level where it can be used in a $35,000 passenger car? I don’t see it even with economies of scale. At the end of day, everything is still petrol based. How does this translate to alternative fuels, etc.?

The current PU overall I think is very good and I am excited about it. But, lack of actual track testing it makes it difficult. Honda has not used test mules because mainly we don’t know when to stop. That is a fault. HRD is constantly trying to make improvements until the last moment and I struggle at times with this mentality. I was this way in the ‘80’s but I have changed. There comes a point where you need to concentrate on improving what you have built rather than constantly trying to build new versions. This between you and me is Honda’s biggest weakness at this point IMO. This IMO leads to lack of testing time for each upgrade. What is better, 5,000 hours of testing on 10 different versions or 10,000 hours of testing on 5 different versions? Arai-san especially thought the former. Then when I think okay this is good enough for now, some interpret that as quitting. So in this aspect, I get frustrated. My contract ends in 30 days and I will not renew. I am done with F1 as a consultant/engineer. It’s not fun anymore.

So I hope this PU can be exploited to its full potential. The power is there, the efficiency is there and as usual, reliability is the big question mark because mainly of what I have mentioned before. This of course has caused friction between us and McLaren and it is a very, very difficult partnership. I don’t know what the future lies but I know we have put tremendous effort into this PU. Almost everything is new. This is what IMO we should have built for 2015. Things will break. The latest failure was a valve-train issue stemming from an electrical problem. This is a problem that is being addressed currently and I think should be resolved before Melbourne.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The vibrations thing is real. Multiple reports of it.

"Formula Parkinsons" loving still killing me

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Norns posted:

It's appropriate that Stroll's in a Williams. He just seems destined for immortality.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.
Level the funding across all teams, then give teams a slight (capped) bonus for 'years served' in F1.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Is the "Ferrari vote" going away with liberty taking over?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I hope the "Ferrari team" goes away.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

lol

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MustardFacial posted:

their lovely TJI head design.
Particularly ironic because i believe Honda invented TJI in the sixties

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Norns posted:

Theophany posted:

Taken out by the upside down Williams of Lance Stroll.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Honda messed up by not including VTEC in their F1 engines IMO.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

gret posted:

I will find VTEC jokes funny till the end of time.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

I will find VTEC jokes funny till the end of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

gret posted:

It's banned.

• Locked thread