Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

poty posted:

Also, a better title given the actual content is "F1 2017: A thin excuse for jealous foreigners to bash Britain"

Hi, poty. I can tell you with 100% certainty I hate loving England. Everything about it and it's culture rub me the wrong way and I would happily set fire to the whole loving thing.

However, as I said in my usual verbose way, if you are a fan of Formula One then you have to admit and understand Lewis is an amazing driver and either over one lap or on the Sunday he is easily one of the most competitive on the grid. You could put Lewis in any car and he will drive it to the absolute limit and leave people wondering how he did it. This is totally separate from who he is personally and where he comes from. It is for me and it should be for any real fan. When the popularity contest poo poo stops all we are left with is how they drive and I can't say I've ever watched Lewis drive a race car and thought he was a numpty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah I'm not sure how anyone can hate the new Force India. It's better than black and grey kingfisher.

The nose sucks.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
That write up of teams and drivers is good.

I would write a little more about Seb. You just say 'four time WDC' like it's what he is eating for breakfast. Ok, Sebastian is the most successful driver on the grid with four WDCs. You should probably then also mention 4 WDCs isn't something that happens often, in fact there are only 2 people in the entire history of the world that have a few more. When RBR had their glory days and established themselves as a serious F1 contender, Sebastian was the golden boy and won all the things, multiple times over. Yes, he is now at Ferrari and alongside another WDC in Kimi, but neither Kimi or Lewis know success as Sebastian does. Although he looks older than his years at 29 he's got a lot of driving left in him.

He's also pretty screechy at times but to be honest that's not inconsistent with German goldenboys. Schumy had some epic outbursts. They just take the poo poo super seriously and when they feel someone is dicking them they're not doing the English stiff-upper lip.. they do the European let every oval office know about it because gently caress them and their bullshit.

Ha, ok perhaps not all of that, but for noobs to understand Seb isn't another wannabe, he's the most accomplished driver in F1.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

When the popularity contest poo poo stops all we are left with is how they drive and I can't say I've ever watched Lewis drive a race car and thought he was a numpty.

Did you watch 2016?

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

wicka posted:

He won that legal challenge.

Tbf it was a change of name, licence for Lotus as an F1 team was the issue hence as it was revoked, hence why he went the Team Lotus route, that the sorta dilutes the brand, also Fernandes

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

I do like the big fat rear tyres a stupid amount. They bring an actual smile to my face

This is legitimately a great looking car.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Norns posted:

Yeah I'm not sure how anyone can hate the new Force India. It's better than black and grey kingfisher.

The nose sucks.

It's also a title sponsor that doesn't have any connection to the ownership group, too, if memory serves. I know that BWT have been sponsoring teams in Germany (DTM and sports cars from this year) too.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Someday I'm going to have a brain aneurysm reading a Tony post.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

Did you watch 2016?

2007 was the best

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No, comon. You don't have to like Seb just like Lewis, but you can't deny he is a poo poo hot F1 driver.

The part about McLaren is cool because it highlights how sticking around for a long rear end time in F1 is actually really hard and pretty much nobody can keep it up other than Ferrari. Yes, Ferrari are annoying how they go on about how important they are to the sport and how much them being there since the start counts for something, until you really understand even someone like McLaren can't keep it up.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wirth1000 posted:

This is legitimately a great looking car.

They are the best looking cars in quite some time. Since at least the late 00s.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tony Montana posted:

No, comon. You don't have to like Seb just like Lewis, but you can't deny he is a poo poo hot F1 driver.

Remember the time Lewis Hamilton lost the WDC to Nico Rosberg? Very poor showing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I like England and I don't mind Lewis too much although I don't want him to win but really what I hate are the British media. We can all agree on this surely, the British media are the worst of all medias.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Tony Montana posted:

The part about McLaren is cool because it highlights how sticking around for a long rear end time in F1 is actually really hard and pretty much nobody can keep it up other than Ferrari. Yes, Ferrari are annoying how they go on about how important they are to the sport and how much them being there since the start counts for something, until you really understand even someone like McLaren can't keep it up.

You have to understand the dynamics of F1, see Brawn F1, it all cycles about

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

lol it will never not be funny that Lewis lost a WDC to loving Nico Rosberg

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of the late 00s imagine a bizzare alternate universe where the BGP001 was actually the SA09 and Takuma Sato became world champion? I can dream.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tony Montana posted:

Seb won four titles. He won two facing strong competition, two walking away from the field, and all were as number-one driver in an Adrian Newey car. I might've gone light on him, but if you're watching F1, you'll learn about him.

(Also the whole preview weighed in over 2,000 words so :v: )

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't mind Ferrari Seb. Also he can sometimes be a chill guy.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

harperdc posted:

Seb won four titles. He won two facing strong competition, two walking away from the field, and all were as number-one driver in an Adrian Newey car. I might've gone light on him, but if you're watching F1, you'll learn about him.

(Also the whole preview weighed in over 2,000 words so :v: )

If you can read Webbers biography, it sheds some light on all that

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Speaking of the late 00s imagine a bizzare alternate universe where the BGP001 was actually the SA09 and Takuma Sato became world champion? I can dream.

This story gets nowhere near enough attention.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You know who else won WDC* in a newey car? Mansell, Villeneuve and Hill.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Red Bull Seb was awful.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TurboDrizzle posted:

You know who else won WDC* in a newey car? Mansell, Villeneuve and Hill.

Mansell is a dumbass but he's much, much, better than the other 2 and could actually hold his own against the greats if the car was right.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Human Grand Prix posted:

I don't mind Ferrari Seb. Also he can sometimes be a chill guy.

Also sometimes not

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

djssniper posted:

You have to understand the dynamics of F1, see Brawn F1, it all cycles about

Not with Ferrari. The red cars are always near the front and always have been. I know some of you guys will be able to dig up examples where Ferrari sucked, but they'd don't oscillate as is being suggested. Red Bull and Merc are modern marvels, but Ferrari has been where they are for a long rear end time. It's just loving hard to do, if it's not the chassis it's the engine and if it's not the car it's the drivers. For that long always being a force to consider is no small feat.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Remember the time Lewis Hamilton lost the WDC to Nico Rosberg? Very poor showing.

Hehe, yep. Although we all know what really happened there and then Nico confirmed it with the greatest bitch move in F1 history of not defending your title to go and have a baby instead.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Mansell is a dumbass but he's much, much, better than the other 2 and could actually hold his own against the greats if the car was right.

yeah Mansell is the real deal and I kinda love him for how English he is. I just like the way he talks and how you can wait for his answer or go gently caress yourself because I'm Nigel bloody Mansell. Watching the season reviews the last few days of Mansell's era has given me even more respect for him. He was generally known as 'when Nigel gets in a mood, watch out because he's the bravest and perhaps quickest driver on the grid'

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Mar 22, 2017

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

djssniper posted:

If you can read Webbers biography, it sheds some light on all that

That would seem like a giant waste of time.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Hehe, yep. Although we all know what really happened there and then Nico confirmed it with the greatest bitch move in F1 history of not defending your title to go and have a baby instead.

What really happened?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rosberg: I'm retiring :troll: :master:
Hamilton: :qq:

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I like England and I don't mind Lewis too much although I don't want him to win but really what I hate are the British media. We can all agree on this surely, the British media are the worst of all medias.

Yeah they keep pointing the camera and mic at Lewis.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

Tony Montana posted:

Which part of the season do you stop posting in?

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Feeling a bit anonymous? I would if I were you.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012
RIGHT OR WRONG, I CAN’T HELP BUT EXPRESS MYSELF LIKE A BRATTY CHILD. DON’T LISTEN TO ME.

Tony Montana posted:

Feeling a bit anonymous? I would if I were you.

How can the one english driver you like be mansell

just

like how do you even make that up

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
Any driver rivalled by Mark Webber is a garbage driver

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Khablam posted:

How can the one english driver you like be mansell

just

like how do you even make that up

Yeah there are a lot of better choices. On a personal level Lewis is more tolerable than Mansell (just).

I do have a lot of respect for Mansell's driving style though. I can always appreciate an aggressive and fast driver even if they break the car all the time or blow championships on more than one occasion.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Actually Jim Clarke was hot poo poo and so was Damon's Dad.

Beacause I'm a F1 fan and not just a shitposter about hair or someshit. Mansel was a kickass F1 driver.

Pretty much horrible in any other way but as I've been saying that is kind of a thing with some really good F1 drivers.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Tony Montana posted:

Actually Jim Clarke was hot poo poo and so was Damon's Dad.

Beacause I'm a F1 fan and not just a shitposter about hair or someshit. Mansel was a kickass F1 driver.

Pretty much horrible in any other way but as I've been saying that is kind of a thing with some really good F1 drivers.

Just lmao if you think your posts are above shitposter status my dude

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Genuinely worries about your well-being if your posts aren't supposed to be shitposts

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
sa'll good man, what is some nebulous bullshit that doesn't matter is what forums users Norns and whoever that guy is thinks of Tony Montana

What is fact is Nigel Mansel was a great driver and did more for British F1 pride than someone like Martin Brundle ever did

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Grade A shitpost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

You also talk about yourself in third person

• Locked thread