Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Was it Ascari who went into the drink like a week before he ended himself at Monza?

e: it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtxrp52PeDE

e2:

Wikipedia posted:

Ascari was not supposed to drive that day but decided to try a few laps. In his jacket and tie, shirt sleeves, ordinary trousers and Castellotti's white helmet he set off.

Baller as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
People, silence. Lance has spoken!

quote:

Lance Stroll insists that he is taking his rookie F1 season with Williams race by race, and says that he regards the criticism that he has faced as "funny."

Stroll is yet to score a point in five races, while teammate Felipe Massa has finished in the points three times, having also outqualified the rookie in all events.

But the Canadian reckons that he is not under any extra pressure to perform, despite the difficult start to his campaign, and ongoing struggle to match Massa.

"It's the same pressure as always, the pressure you put on yourself to come out and compete and do well," Stroll said in Monaco.

"It's F1, and there's obviously pressure, but nothing more than in the past. I've got to take it race by race and focus on what you can do. The rest is kind of out of your control.

"I won my championships to get here, I'm here and it's my first five races, and it's been a bit tricky. It doesn't just change everything. There's still a long season ahead of me."

Stroll said that whatever he does, some people will always be negative given that he comes from a wealthy family.

"Obviously I come from a background that when I win, people try and put me down, and when I lose, people try and put me down. I accept that and I actually find it kind of funny.

"But whatever, that's out of my control, I'm focussed on what I'm doing, I'm enjoying my time in F1, I'm enjoying the experience, I'm here competing at 18 years old and it's very special. I'm just taking it race by race."

Williams technical boss Paddy Lowe has acknowledged that Stroll has a lot of weight on his shoulders, and that the team was aware that it had to address that.

"One of the very difficult things for Lance is the enormous pressure placed upon him," said Lowe.

"He's a driver with a lot of expectation around him, not just from people close to him, but even more from across the paddock, because there's a lot of spotlight on how he got here, and does he really deserve the drive, and all of those things.

"Of course racing drivers are by their nature super competitive, so they're the best or the worst at beating themselves up if they don't think they're performing as they should.

"That cascades and creates its own pressure for him even if there is not enough from outside. It's a good question that there are no easy answers to. How do you undo that pressure?"

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-stroll-funny-criticism-no-extra-pressure-909798/

I love Paddy's non-answer and just highlighting of the pressure. The only thing his performances are doing are justifying all the publicly known external criticism. Way to find the criticism "funny" you loving loaf.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Going from F3->F1 is not new. In fact, the best drivers usually came right from F3 as opposed to F2/F3000.

Yeah but F3 back in the 80s was significantly different to what it is today.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah Stroll it's loving hilarious you're in over your head. F3 seems to be your peak. Go back.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah but F3 back in the 80s was significantly different to what it is today.

I wish your username was 1500quidpeugeot.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Mods please make that my username. It's too good.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Theophany posted:

I wish your username was 1500quidpeugeot.

:discourse:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

People just hate me becuse of how incredibly wealthy I am. It has nothing to do with driving like a loving idiot.

-A Bad Driver

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
In just over a day Tony's probate ends and we have to once again put up with his poo poo posting that is totally not in the spirit of the thread. I for one have thoroughly enjoyed this lapse - albeit so very briefly - back to the more fun days of The Worst Thread. Its a shame its about to go to poo poo once more.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I imagine his dad is paying for all the crash damage his son is inflicting.

It's like they're not going to come out ahead financially in this (Williams). A lovely pay driver is one that just eats up all the cash he even brings because of how poo poo-bad he is where he causes endless damage to the car.

A mediocre/proper pay driver at least poodles around last or whatever, may occansionally score some points but at least brings teh car home in one piece without having to spend a chunk on repairing poo poo. And while his dad is apparently worth 2.6 billion I imagine Williams still got more from PDVSA.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

The issue of course is Williams were expecting to have at least a B-Tier driver like Bottas in the other car, rather than the ghost of the ghost of Felipe Massa.

I suspect as soon as they got to that they decided to tread water this year and focus on 2019, ideally with a driver who is at least good AND alive.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Dudley posted:

B-Tier driver like Bottas

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I heard Ashley was a bit of a twat but I still love her because of Star Trek. Also is that Our Graham leading in that photo? The first F1 driver (of two) in history to win the triple crown?

Isnt Jim Clark the only one to win the legit triple crown?: Monaco, Indy and Le Mans?

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 24, 2017

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

Isnt Jim Clarke the only one to win the legit triple crown?: Monaco, Indy and Le Mans?

I assumed he was counting nando

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

DoctorGonzo posted:

Isnt Jim Clarke the only one to win the legit triple crown?: Monaco, Indy and Le Mans?

No, that's Graham Hill, Damon's dad.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wirth1000 posted:

No, that's Graham Hill, Damon's dad.

I stand corrected.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Graham Hill also won the WDC. If Nando wins the 500 and Le Mans, it would also be just as academic as he has both Monaco and the WDC legs wrapped up.

The only person who's still actively racing that has also has a shot at either definition is JPM (500 and Monaco done already). Mario is probably one of the closest retired to one of the two definitions with a 2nd overall at Le Mans (as well as WDC and the 500).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I just remembered Jacques Villeneuve getting agonizingly close to the triple crown in 2008. If Le Mans stayed dry, he had it.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

I'm going to make a (not-so) bold prediction and say that this weekend Stroll will cause or suffer one of the dumbest ever Monaco retirements. He's just too bad to last a full race around this tight circuit without massively loving up. I actually honestly hope he doesn't kill someone.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

He's going to bin it at exactly the right time to completely gently caress someone else's race. I would like it to be Hamilton's but I think we all know it will be Vettel's.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Can't wait for Stroll to crash onto a boat.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I feel it, this weekend is going BUT-VET-HAM

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Aww poor Grosjean. I bet those walls are a bit tough too you might break your car on them. Do you want them to install loving foam around the circuit for you? In fact why don't you just stay home and wrap yourself in cotton wool you loving tampon and then we won't have to listen to you crying all the drat time. ARG.

I actually may hate Grosjean even more than Stroll.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Was it last years Monaco that Nico "forgot" to brake and slammed into hamilton

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I just remembered Jacques Villeneuve getting agonizingly close to the triple crown in 2008. If Le Mans stayed dry, he had it.

Jacques never won at Monaco.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I bet Palmer bins it before Stroll

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Stroll will crash the car in quali imo.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Force India just introduced a new T-Wing design.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Are Jense wins Monaco

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I'd be curious how much new poo poo gets put on Stroll's car versus Massa's I'm guessing the percentage is close to zero.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wirth1000 posted:

Force India just introduced a new T-Wing design.

Mercedes will be firing back with this.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Powershift posted:

Mercedes will be firing back with this.

I thought Subaru got out of F1 decades ago

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Much like how Islamophobes play right into the hand of ISIS as their useful idiots... so, too, does those who dare criticize Lance Stroll as he laughs harder and harder while spearing into the side of practically poverty-stricken-Double-World-Champion-Spaniard-compared-to-Stroll Alonso at 300km/h.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

Wirth1000 posted:

Much like how Islamophobes play right into the hand of ISIS as their useful idiots... so, too, does those who dare criticize Lance Stroll as he laughs harder and harder while spearing into the side of practically poverty-stricken-Double-World-Champion-Spaniard-compared-to-Stroll Alonso at 300km/h his sister.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Clarence
May 3, 2012

GramCracker posted:

Are Jense wins Monaco

You've just travelled back in time to tell us that, right?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

NtotheTC posted:

Aww poor Grosjean. I bet those walls are a bit tough too you might break your car on them. Do you want them to install loving foam around the circuit for you? In fact why don't you just stay home and wrap yourself in cotton wool you loving tampon and then we won't have to listen to you crying all the drat time. ARG.

I actually may hate Grosjean even more than Stroll.

This is an exquisite post. Thank you for this.

I reckon there will be a fair few safety cars or red flags if it isn't a total procession. These cars are that much wider so overtakes will be do or die.

Also, I think we all need to take a moment to remember garbageman Palmer binning it in a straight line last year lmao.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

To be honest the only memorable part of the past few years of Monaco has been people repeatedly blowing that chicane so it's going to be great seeing cars flying through the air now.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

What's wrong with this picture...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The flag

• Locked thread