Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

learnincurve posted:

DTM is like formula 1 in that it’s a place for German car and technology executives to network but they spend even less time watching the races.

Yeah that's what I remember about the huge amounts of manufacturer spending in DTM despite it being an awful series that lost all it's fans- it's a pissing match for BMW/Audi/Merc executives, though Merc is now gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think anyone will give a poo poo about the halo by the halfway point of 2017.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Maldonado would have won in Baku.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
He was extraordinarily inconsistent but on a good day he had signs of greatness. I still remember his clash with Hamilton at Valencia in 2012, IIRC he got penalized for that but I thought he was in the right on that one.

e) to be honest de Cesaris is the better comp with Maldonado, though I really wish Maldonado had a career as long as Andrea did. As mentioned earlier the best comparison to Stroll is probably Pedro Diniz.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

The wet dream of Liberty (and Americans) was Lewis winning the F1 Belt as he hoists it up above his head in Abu Dhabi before a hidden Rosberg comes out from the darkness behind the podium and bashes Lewis with a chair and stealing the belt for himself

That would be badass.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

It literally boggles my mind that you can defend a driver whose entire reason for being in F1 was because he had the financial backing to be there and at the same time decry a driver who is there because he has the financial backing to be there, especially when they both drove/drive for the same team.

Well you see one of those drivers won a race, and it was a standard race win on merit, as opposed to a bizarre race where virtually all the top drivers had major problems.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

You've got some serious rose tinted glasses. The pirelli tires for 2012 were like loving jello and nobody understood how they worked, I don't think Pastor was as bad as others said he was but to act like he won that day on any amount of skill instead of the tire lottery that produced a different winner for the first 7 races that year is laughable.

He was on pole.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I agree that Pastor Maldonado is comparable to Nico Rosberg and Sebastian Vettel.

IIRC Pastor's one-lap pace was routinely excellent in 2012.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

1500quidporsche posted:

I fully expected Stroll to be poo poo this year, I thought Vandorne was going to match Alonso and he fell flat on his face until half way through the season.

So you're saying that Lance Stroll being shithouse at the start of the year but gradually getting to just about the pace of a completely washed up Felipe Massa is more impressive than Stoffel Vandoorne being bad at the start of the year but gradually getting up to the pace of one of the greatest drivers of the modern era. OK.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I want to make a complete list of drivers in the last 5 years who I'm pretty sure would outscore Stroll in the same car. Vitaly Petrov. Jolyon Palmer. Max Chilton. Maybe not Bruno Senna or Marcus Erricson.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Much like Pastor, Vitaly Petrov also needs to come back.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

gently caress, Narain Karthikeyan could do it.

Bold statement. How about Nelson Jr?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Norns posted:

Lol max chilton

We all love Big Max who came close to winning the Indy 500. IMO what that race proved is that Max Chilton is every bit as good as world class drivers like Fernando Alonso and Ryan Hunter-Reay.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Tsaedje posted:

It definitely doesn't prove that the Indy 500 is a giant clusterfuck where if you just keep the car on the track until the end you have a decent chance of winning because your stops happened to sync beneficially with the endless cautions

Please don't be rude to Ryan "World Class" Hunter-Reay, Alex "World Class" Rossi or Takuma "World Class" Sato

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lol Will Stevens

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
On the one hand Indy is kind of random but on the other hand Takuma Sato winning was one of the greatest moments of my life so I'll take it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I still love Big Jo Palmer. What a driver

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I believe Narain was the first South Asian driver to score points., which is why I remembered.

Wasn't there some random rear end Thai nobleman driver who scored points in the 50s?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

Oh yeah, B.Bira.

Lol he wasn't just a nobleman he was actually in the Thai royal family. 50s F1 was weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

50s F1 raving on 20 km triangles.

Racing cars which predated the second World War, no less

• Locked thread