Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Garbage OP and garbage loving thread title holy poo poo.

gently caress you and voted 1.

I'm so loving pumped for Austrlia this weekend whoooo!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

Maximum Verstappen

No.

Stop..

Stop it.....

This is not acceptable! :allbuttons:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

lotharr posted:

Wow this new interface is hot garbage.

https://gppredictor.com/leagues/join/58d06be7837ee9a303052fa1

Go forth and predict Mercedes winning everything until the end of time.

Joined.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

lotharr posted:

Wow this new interface is hot garbage.

https://gppredictor.com/leagues/join/58d06be7837ee9a303052fa1

Go forth and predict Mercedes winning everything until the end of time.

Mayhaps disabling real full names on the league list lol

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

I will find VTEC jokes funny till the end of time.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Tsaedje posted:

I do like the big fat rear tyres a stupid amount. They bring an actual smile to my face

This is legitimately a great looking car.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

I dunno, if you put Stroll or Verstappen in there they'd probably die from Shaken Baby Syndrome.

:piaa:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I like the pink.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

It's actually illegal to sell milk in bags where I live and I've seen the milk bag thing all of once in my life, I'm constantly baffled why Americans think this is a Canadian institution.

Where in CAnada do you even live?

Ontario is full of bags of milk. I think I've drank milk out of a carton like twice in my life with the exception of those single serve chocolate milk cartons.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm so loving tired I want to go to bed. loving F1. gently caress you, Australia.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Welp, I'm going to bed. I thought qualifying started at 1am EST but it's actually 2am EST. Ugh.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/monster-f1-cars-hitting-peaks-of-8g-in-melbourne-886185/

quote:

Drivers are nearing 8G in the new-spec Formula 1 cars at Albert Park, with the high-downforce cars described as "brutal" and "monsters" following the first qualifying session of the season.

The unofficial Albert Park lap record was smashed today, Sebastian Vettel beating his old benchmark – set by the German back in qualifying for the 2011 Australian Grand Prix – for the first time during free practice 3, before Lewis Hamilton decimated it with his 1m22.188s in qualifying.

While shy of the much-touted five-second improvement over 2016 lap speeds, the cornering forces generated by the new cars raised plenty of eyebrows in the paddock.

"The cars are brutal to drive – we are not far from 8G with the peak in high corners – so it is pretty good fun," said Haas driver Romain Grosjean. "But it is hard on the body, it is hard on parts, it is hard on the cars.

"You better not miss the turning point on some places. The speed we go through the corners is insane compared to the past. You need to be more precise, more accurate, more on it, and the body gets a pretty tough time into some corners so it could be."

Polesitter Hamilton, now holder of the fastest ever lap at the Albert Park circuit, echoed Grosjean's sentiments about the new cars being more fun to drive than the previous generation cars.

"It is incredible," he said. "It is the best I have ever experienced here. The grip is fantastic, the aero makes such a drastic difference. You can push deep into the corners, it is amazing.

"I've not had the car skating around on the low grip tyres we have had in the past, so [it is] very exciting to drive."

"Real monsters"

Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff added that tomorrow's race in the 'monster' cars will be a test of how well prepared the drivers are in terms of fitness.

"Those cars are real monsters," he said.

"I think you can see that on the onboard, the cornering speeds are very impressive and we will see tomorrow in the first race how physical they actually are and how much it takes out of the driver."

Williams driver Felipe Massa compared the cars to those from the 2008 season, adding that he was surprised times weren't even quicker compared to 2016.

"I really thought we would have been three seconds quicker," said the Brazilian. "I don't know; maybe the track is a bit slow.

"The car is a lot more fun to drive, more like 2008, which for me was quite high downforce. I think tomorrow we'll have an idea how it is for the show. I really hope it can be a nice race."

One side effect of the increased mid-corner speeds seems to be a 'lights out' effect at the limit, Lance Stroll, Daniel Ricciardo, and Jolyon Palmer among those to have been caught out by a sudden loss of grip so far this weekend.

According to Grosjean, the scope to slide the cars is very limited.

"They are done to function in a certain way of sliding, and soon as you go out of that you lose all the downforce," he said. "As the downforce is massively high then the drop is massively bigger, when it is gone, it is gone."

Max Verstappen, however, said it was the tyres making the cars difficult to catch in a slide.

"[The cars] are more stable through high speed corners," he said. "The only problem is when you lose it, it's more difficult to catch because of the wide tyres.

"It's difficult to get it back. That's the only thing. In general, when you keep it in the right track it is actually a lot more fun.

"Especially in qualifying when you go low fuel, they are really enjoyable to drive."

How long until Todt comes in and introduces grooved tires and a turbocharger ban?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mtjC9DozXs

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Holy poo poo, I didn't even realize Grosjean was 6th.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I need to buy dinner and strap in.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
That really sucks for Ricciardo in front of his home crowd.

lol Kvyat's car

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
What the gently caress is this... time waits for no one *bernie gets on chopper*

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
ARe the graphics hitching or is that just me

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Literally passed out for about 10 laps and missed Stroll's retirement.

Ferrari is back, nice.

Proud of Massa & Williams :D

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
People are scum.

I enjoyed the race even though I passed out for about 10 laps cause it was 2am and I'd been up since 7am but otherwise it was great. The only disappointment was Ricciardo failed to start his home grand prix. That's a soft spot for me... doesn't matter if I hate the driver or not if it's their home race then I hope they can go out and have a proper go.

Except Stroll. He's a national embarassment and I hope Williams comes to their senses and drop him. That was just completely embarassing. He wasn't racing, he was just fighting to keep the car under his control. He'd probably have done well if it was the easier going GP2 cars from the prior formula but he needs to go back in the incubator and maybe in another 4 to 5 years he'll have emerged to fulfill his actual destiny as the son of a billionaire.... couple mediocre seasons of F1, retire, and then go into your real passion of becoming a DJ or something.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Khablam posted:

Someone has created a really convincing fake F1 account on YouTube, and has put race highlights and other goodies on it, the same day as the race.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3cfJCOSq8Q
FOM must be writing such a hard C&D letter right now.

This is fantastic. Bernie, you got greedy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

McLaren will finish on the podium in at least one race this year.

This is as likely as a Venezuelan getting a loaf of bread.

Not saying it's impossible but blood is gonna get spilt.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

FIA president Jean Todt believes a lack of overtaking in Formula 1 this year may be a price worth paying for faster and more spectacular cars.

One of the downsides of the new generation of F1 cars is that drivers have found it much more difficult to pass their rivals.

Lewis Hamilton went as far as suggesting after the Australian Grand Prix that the current situation was the worst he had experienced in his 10-year F1 career.

"It is fundamental to the way the cars have been since I've been in Formula 1 but it's probably worse now than it's ever been," he said about overtaking difficulties.

"It's definitely not going to be better – it's going to be the same for the rest of the season."

Speaking to selected media ahead of the Australian GP race, Todt acknowledged that there was likely to be less passing in 2017, but did not believe that it was something too negative for the sport.

"Overtaking has always been a problem in motor racing," explained Todt. "I remember races 20 or 30 years ago, when a car with fresh tyres that was three or four seconds quicker could not pass a car with old tyres, because overtaking was difficult.

"Clearly we can figure out that overtaking will be even more difficult this year. But we have tried to find ways to make overtaking easier with DRS and other technologies.

"Maybe the new regulations will make overtaking more difficult, but maybe it was the price to pay by having wider cars with more aerodynamics."

The FIA is set to reconsider the length of DRS zones after the Chinese Grand Prix when it has a better idea about just how difficult overtaking is.

Todt has also suggested that longer term maybe F1 needs a rethink of its aero concept to ensure that future cars can follow each other more closely.

"It's something that we need to address when we are going to speak about future regulations, about whether it is a good compromise."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/todt-lack-of-passing-a-price-worth-paying-for-better-f1-cars-887306/

I like the sound of this Todt guy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

julian assflange posted:

Did they ever race that? Don't think so

No because that's a terrible photoshop of that dumb looking FIA concept on paper.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Er, might want to tweak your posts.

We don't actually know if he's dead or not and considering the state of Venezuela and that being a very strong possibility it's probably best not to joke about that.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Norns posted:

If by "mechanical issue" you mean can't drive. Then sure it was a mechanical issue.

????

Look, I'm not gonna defend Palmer's driving here but it's documentated that it was a sticking brake issue of some sort. He's even DNF'ed on the official classifications with 'Brakes' and this isn't something conjured up out of fat air.

You're pretty loving aggressive about this. Everything ok at home? Mental health help is no longer attached with a stigma was it was in the past. We're all here for you in order for you to get the help you need, Norns. I hope you can turn things around.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Pirate Radar posted:

What really gets me about that is that it's not like Lewis still has to compete with Nico, and it's not like he's at some kind of disadvantage here, he has three championships to Nico's one, but he still feels like he needs to take a petty little shot at Nico.

Are you saying Lewis is Trump and Nico........... Hilary?

Does that make Lauda Alex Jones?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Yeah, ok, I've gone through enough iterations of this thread to realize that its quality is somehow tied to McLaren. Cause its never been this bad in my time here which goes the same for McLaren whose literally a hobo's diarrhea.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

McLaren won the title.

Norns posted:

Put the lower FIA Formula on the same steaming service please :pray:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I'm excited to see Williams win with Massa. :)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

zelah posted:

Is this why they call this the worst thread?

I missed your av. :)

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
How is Brexit going to affect all the F1 teams based in the UK? (Read: 99% of them.)

*drops mic*

*leaves*

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

TurboDrizzle posted:

I think this makes Rosberg the trump of Formula 1. He's absolutely a formula 1 world champion. F1's electoral college numbers are crystal clear, black and white fax mentis incendium gloria cultum, et cetera, et cetera... He can never be removed from that list. But nobody expected him to win, he lost the irrelevant popular vote (aka number of races won) foreigners (germans) interfered in the election, and his supporters cant stop defending him with "Yes, that might be true but he WON!" :smugbert:

Can you link to your banned profile of MattDizzle please? I want to see the post that got you banned, thanks.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
JV went to poo poo because of his manager at the time who accelerated his utter decline.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Motorsport.com is in like a million different languages and that's the results from the first 72 hours of the Global Fan Survey also conducted in several different languages.

Motorsport.com has branched out like crazy buying up all the foreign language motorsport centric sites that they can get their hands on and continue to expand like crazy.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

Agreed epic mental Australian guy who has a grudge against British ppl, Vettel is insanely FTW and the scud are good.

track day bro! posted:

Agreed epic mental Australian guy who has a grudge against British ppl, Vettel is insanely FTW and the scud are good.

Does it help if you guys knew Tony is a massive Trump fan and think he's doing great work especially when it comes to jobs?

Like, I feel that's essential to completing how loving lunatic this guy is.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
People still not understanding that domination happens because of a world class driver in a world class car.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I absolutely believe that Hamilton has the potential to meet or exceed 7 WDCs.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

enri posted:

More HAM douche-baggery:

Lewis Hamilton decides to race without a personal trainer

Good / Bad idea? Discuss!

This is... a really dumb idea especially with the new formula.

But, hey, he's a 3x world championship winning Rihanna-obsessed superstar who desperately wishes his talents lied in music rather than make car go fast and I'm some joe blow having a coffee and eating a hot capocollo sandwich on rye at my desk so what the gently caress do I know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Cool, so not only is Lance Stroll extreme loving garbage but he's also insufferable as gently caress with all those comments he just made about jealously. Not even a "Well, for sure, it's a learning process and I'm hoping for a better race next weekend."

No, straight up just:

quote:

"Obviously people who are not in Formula 1 are trying to find excuses why they are not in Formula 1," he told Autosport.

"I think that the drivers in the [F1] paddock have respect of each other.

"They all know that winning Formula 4, Formula Renault, Formula 3 takes a lot of effort and work to do that.

"So for sure the drivers in Formula 1 have respect for each other, we know what it takes to arrive here and that obviously the drivers, who are not here, most of the time will find a way to find a reason not to be here.

"So it's normal. I don't think I need to spell it for you, but thats the way it is.

"Because you always going to find jealous people and people that don't like you for the wrong reasons and that's the way it is."

"I think everyone here on the grid as drivers, and even the people who work in the teams they really know racing, they know what it takes to arrive in Formula 1," he said.

"They know the championships you need to win are challenging and to score the points for the superlicense, you need to be able to win them.

"And for drivers like [Sebastian] Vettel and [Lewis] Hamilton and [Esteban] Ocon - all of them had to win those championships.

"That's very challenging and they know that and that's why we share respect for each other even if we are racing all together, we have respect for each other."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/128739

Incredible.

• Locked thread