Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Powershift posted:

Calling it now, kimi WDC.

I want to believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

That's a well written OP Matt, good stuff. Maybe we can add in some funny descriptions of teams and drivers, that's was always good.

Well, I bought my tickets yesterday. I have roaming grandstand for the Thursday and am thinking of taking enough camera gear to make a video comparing the stands.

I was at an OP Shop at the weekend and I found these under a thing. I would have bought them but I can't be hosed building them and once their done what am I going to do with them.. but they do look cool

I think its only the 13B I don't have (and I might have that too).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tony Montana posted:

Yeah the 14B is the active-suspension beast that took Mansell to the title?

So the 13B is the same car without the cool toys?

Yes.

quote:

Oh, Aussies with Foxtel.. the 24 hour F1 channel is in full swing. Spent much of last night watching Senna eat up Prost and track marshals doing hilarious stuff that would never fly now.

Watching 1989 summary now. :cheers:

quote:

Is Tamiya good? I don't know anything about models, but it could be cool.

They are quite good. I've got a few. The decals are a bit meh, but the model itself is good. Not too hard or too easy to do, the paints are easy to come by and they can have the top taken off so you can see all the engine bits when you want to.

quote:

Are they worth more than the lady is asking?

They're a good price, but not a great one. I'm sure I paid more than that for 3, but that included shipping from overseas. That said, I'm having difficulty finding them anywhere but ebay now.

quote:

They're right near where I live, I'm sure I can go back and they'll still be there.

They're good fun, but keep in mind that if you want to paint them right, you'll be out way more than your initial $70.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kilonum posted:

BOLD PREDICTIONS
1. All of the drivers will wine about something at some point during the season
2. Every driver will score points
3. El Hefe will post
4. Riso will re-reg, only to get banned less than a week later for spouting off racist poo poo again
5.Lewis will exit the closet
6. Michael Schumacher will make a public appearance
7. The USGP will be boycotted due to Trump
8. Renault won't be poo poo

1. bold but not bold.
2. definitely bold
3. Probably not. :smith:
4. Sure hope so!
5. Agreed
6. A state funeral would technically count, so I agree.
7. I loving wish.
8. hahahahaha

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Enjoying the season reviews so far.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Is this Alonso's last year? Assuming McLaren are as poor as people expect them to be.

Nothing is certain, but quite possibly. He talked about continuing so long as the cars are "fun." Given that they're probably going to be the fastest they've ever been, that might be enough to keep him interested. Unless, you know, the Honda is an irredeemable piece of poo poo and he doesn't get a better offer elsewhere for 2018 (which would be nice, but unlikely).

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Lol Adelaide '89 is insane.

Prost refuses to race because its too wet, they can't line up on the grid to start properly but they get the green flag anyway and people spinning everywhere throughout.

Its fascinating to see, given that F1 cars barely race in the wet these days.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

McLaren and Honda's contract is to 2024.

:aaaaa:

Who was the numpty who organised that? Surely there must be a performance clause in that to get McLaren out of it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

What about Rosberg senior?

I thought he more or less retired with dignity and kept out of the spotlight until his boy won it and he finally came out of whatever bunker he was hiding in to comment before dropping a smoke bomb and disappearing into myth again.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Aw man, F1 popup channel is now playing San Marino '94. :smith:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

There are worse things that could happen than having LMP 1 fade and having smaller LMP2 and other categories become front runners.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

harperdc posted:

It's too early to call this and not the right place to debate it but that wouldn't be great for many reasons.

I will instantly defer to your more informed opinion than my own since I don't follow WEC except occasionally watch a few laps and maybe LeMans. I only suggested it because I thought WEC effectively had an even worse manufacturer domination problem than F1 and the idea of having some slightly more bush league teams running heavily modified road missiles tickles me even if its not really plausible.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I wasn't aware of that series but after a quick google search, that seems to be more or less what I was thinking about.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

I dunno, if you put Stroll or Verstappen in there they'd probably die from Shaken Baby Syndrome.

:vince:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Watching the old F1 races on Foxtel again and they announced that Adelaide '95 had 200K attending on race day, and 511K over the course of the 4 day event. It was the record then, and I think that still stands.

Its kind of surreal to see all the grandstands full and even the open areas look like standing room only. Pretty significant contrast to many of the modern races.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Mar 23, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm gonna go to Malaysia this year, it'll be my first time going to one live.

Bring an ice vest and rain poncho.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I haven't seen any of the new cars out and moving until FP2 just now, and I've decided I like the overall proportions of the cars this year way better (tyres and wings look much better) but I'm still not convinced by the shark fins.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Is he sick or just bad enough that sauber want to replace him?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

It would be a much bigger failure to intentionally become Williams.

I would guess, based on literally nothing, that any commitment from McLaren is dependent on Honda continuing to pay them, like, $150m/season. They can ride out any struggles pretty much indefinitely so long as Honda makes up for it. You can see in countless other sports just how important tradition can be. McLaren's never going to struggle to hire the best and brightest engineers.

If Williams were smart they'd sidle up to Honda with some sushi and a big bunch of flowers and say, "hey, if this McLaren bromance doesn't pan out, I'm sure we could come to an agreement where you could throw whatever you want into the back of our car for $120m a year and we super pinky swear not to bad mouth you to the media."

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

wicka posted:

My god, could you imagine how huge that amount of money would be to Williams?

I recall that $120m was their entire operating budget a couple of years ago. They would have Alonso assassinated for that kind of deal.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That Ferrari switches directions very very neatly.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

There's 32 people in the GP prediction league. There aren't even that many posters in this thread. :psyduck:

Some good team names in there too.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Wirth1000 posted:

I'm so loving tired I want to go to bed. loving F1. gently caress you, Australia.

Same but for Canada, Texas, Mexico and Brazil.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

Looks like he's had a hair transplant?

Bit being disparaging, I'm considering it myself.

Accept your fate chrome dome.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Post the cue ball. :colbert:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

learnincurve posted:

*I have four teenage children, four.

Well shame on you for sticking it to your wife consistently for years.

:smithicide:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Theophany posted:

Pathetic vanity really.

No other kind, really.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Human Grand Prix posted:

That's a woman comrade.

*furiously updates notes*

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

learnincurve posted:

I'm the girl in this relationship. Two of them are my nieces who I've adopted - four teenagers three year age gap, and three of them are girls.

Suddenly 5am F1 with no one else up does not seem to bad.

That sounds like hell on earth.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

New regs seem to have gotten people excited.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Norns posted:

I love these cars compared to the last 3 years...

Yeah the proportions just look much better. More 'right.'

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Thanks for that

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Lance Stroll is 18th and slowest.

:laffo: I'm sure we'll be hearing that a lot.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

The Force India livery has grown on me.

It'll be nice to cheer for the Hulk again.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The prospect of Pascal getting Wally Pipp'd out of his seat is very funny to me.

He's beating Ericsson right now. :haw:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Hahahaha holy poo poo Alonso hustling the gently caress out of that McLolda.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

1500quidporsche posted:

"And now we just need some rain"

You gotta give him credit, he's ready to have a go.

Its poo poo like that that makes it so hard to remember than he's only got 2 WDCs to his name. He deserves more. :smith:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Really liking the fact that Q1 ended and I have no idea who did what because of no timing graphics.

http://www.sofascore.com/formula-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

loving Grosjean. :smith:

• Locked thread