Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Alain Post posted:

McLaren are poo poo.

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Christ alive I'd buy those for $70

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I don't know anything either but I remember looking up a BT52B with the rear wing additions once and it was like $130

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
1989 was undeniable proof that Senna was retarded.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

Cool new thread. Hope this year doesn't suck nuts...oh wait, McLaren is still wet garbage :smithicide:

And it looks like poo poo this year too.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Tony Montana posted:

Well.. firstly Ferrari isn't Ferrari, Ferrari is a brand owned by Fiat. If you are American Fiat might not mean a lot to you, but to the rest of the world it sure does. Fiat are a huge Italian car manufacturer that produce a lot of domestic cars, so Ferrari's purse is actually the wallet of a big manufacturer just like Mercedes and Renault.

lol

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Mods please make this my avatar.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

He left Williams to go an race around in a McLaren almost as lovely as the current one, bowing to Prost's #1 status. I'm willing to forgive him that because he is the archetypal 'zero fucks given' F1 racer.

I don't think it was just bowing to Prost, Barnard ignored driver feedback alot of the time and the car had been designed with Prost's driving style in mind so Keke had a rough go making the tires work. Then Elio died and I'm pretty sure that was the thing that made Keke retire. When Keke poked his head up last year he actually mentioned that he confronted Barnard about it years later and Barnard just went "lol sorry mate, I was thinking about my move to Ferrari".

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

That's the only seal that won't be broken anywhere Nando this year

lmbo

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

CratSock posted:

Post counts over race weekends are usually drastically overinflated and easy to skim through due to the big clumps of F1 goons livestreaming their own commentary. We've had pages of stuff like:
- LOL Kimi
- Kimi
- Remebmer when Kimi forgot how to drive?
- Ice Cream something
- NNNNUUUUUUU, Kimi!
- Kimi is poo poo
- (Emptyquote of above)
- Kimi lol

You act like this isn't the best part of this thread.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'm going to meltdown this season over how poo poo McLaren is because I'm pretty sure we haven't even started to see the bottom of the well yet.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Edit: The best race for live posting was the return to Mexico and the subsequent "WTF" posts in the race build up; especially the national anthem.

It's a year and a half later and I still occasionally laugh to myself over the thread's collective reaction to the first time that anthem played.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

CratSock posted:

I don't judge you for your phone posting typos, but I might have reservations about your crippling need to be in this thread when mobile.

Some of us work poo poo jobs with stupid internet restrictions like me so I end up dicking around on my phone most of the day because a solid 60% of the internet is walled off.

Also a pro tip: don't Google "used VAG tranny for sale" on work computers.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

My company blocks pretty much everything but SA. I'm amazed I can get brainfucked by the contents of FYAD on my work computer but something as innocuous as wtf1 is blocked for not being SEO optimised.

Our company outsourced it so it results in some really stupid poo poo that is American/Britain based being blocked along with generic things like "forums" being in the URL but anything outside that is open.

It does infuriate me to no end that MLB.tv is blocked but a local sports network's streaming service isn't so everybody gets to watch hockey at work.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I've already cornered the market for making fun of McLaren, so you need to pick something else.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Won't be going fast enough to kill anybody.

I dunno, if you put Stroll or Verstappen in there they'd probably die from Shaken Baby Syndrome.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I'm a little rusty on the rules but I don't think there's anything stopping them from putting a balance shaft in there if there isn't already one, that would probably help solve it or atleast mitigate it. 90 degree V6s are inherently unbalanced so it's not hugely shocking that this happened. Given their surprise I'm thinking there is some sort of resonance vibration occuring because of the chassis, it might not be all of Honda's fault.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

simplefish posted:

Can we just ban the word meltdown and probate anyone using it please?

I think you're having a meltdown and need to be probated.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

GramCracker posted:

I still want to imagine that McLaren Honda are taking the piss and will have one of the fastest cars; they are just going to whole new levels to sandbag.

I want to believe.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

It's not, they've already established the engine is at fault, Honda has been working on fixing it.

I get what he's trying to say and I think theres some truth to it. The chassis is probably absorbing alot of it but once it hits a certain RPM the resonance kicks in and the chassis just can't cope. With a 90 degree V6 there's always going to be some inherent vibration that the chassis will have to dissipate, so while the lion's share of blame is likely with Honda I don't think McLaren can wash their hands of the whole thing.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

So Mclaren and Honda dont test the drat thing before putting it in the car?

The issue is that the chassis isn't dissipating the engine's vibration. How do you test that on a dyno?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
To be fair it's been three years and Honda still doesn't have their poo poo together, I'd be playing up how bad things were as well. Honda really needs to take their finger out.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

But if the motor is vibrating itself apart they should know it before putting in the chassis? And if the chassis is vibrating the motor apart, that to me is a failure of design from Mclaren.

Chassis dynamics is really out of the scope of this thread and I'd put people to sleep talking about it but putting an engine on a testbed doesn't capture real world elements. The fact is these engines are a structural part of the cars and there's huge forces being put through them as a result. Apportioning blame isn't a black and white issue, it's a far more complex issue their dealing with.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

DoctorGonzo posted:

Yeah i know that but i never heard of a car that is falling apart for natural reasons. Someone hosed up.

I've had it happen to me, VW grounds the entire ignition system through the cylinder head and there was enough moving that after three years that it just snapped. Look up 1st gen Chevy Astros, 90 degree V6s without balance shafts, the electric connections in mine is all shot to bits.

wicka posted:

Horseshit. Let's hear it bro.

Remind me and I'll type something up tonight when I'm not on my phone.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Honestly Honda is just taking the piss now. https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/honda-worried-about-reliability-for-australian-gp-885008/

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Uhhh, do you expect him to say the down on power engine that shakes itself apart is really good?

No, but he came about as close as you can get to saying exactly that with a straight face.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Honda is eating a bunch of hamburgers off the bathroom floor at this point.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Apparently Red Bull and Mercedes both had to change their suspension in testing....

:italy::getin:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

Now we just have to hope Ferrari doesn't gently caress up strategy.

Hahaahahahhahahahahaha

:smithicide:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

lotharr posted:

Predictions picked, whole lot of ferrari / merc / rbr at the top, the rest is impossible to pick.

This is my first year doing this when does the predictions close? most of my time has been debating who Stroll is going to take out on the start.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Nice Pat Symonds is part of the sky commentary team. So we've got one not garbage part of that team now.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
.... has Lewis pierced his nose?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

Hamilton having shoe troubles, is his season in jeopardy?

He's been cursed for speaking ill of the shoey

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
lmbo Mclaren going straight to Aero testing. Jesus

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
gently caress me, the Sky Christian Horner Handjob love in continues.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

:canada:

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Bring on the aero fuckery again.

I don't think this is going to make the racing better. But part of me really wants them to all embrace the batshit insane aero again.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
I have to say this doesn't look significantly faster. Just goes back to my argument that they need to fix the camera shots and not chase the cars.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

The Merc baby wing looks like an IUD

lol

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Even the side mirrors seem to be flexing, it looks like the elastistring wings of 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Boy I'm sure glad they don't show the loving times on the side of the screen anymore.

• Locked thread